Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 09:52 PM
    Liked 6,815 Times in 3,564 Posts

Premium Member

Michael Anthony Talks Van Halen in New Interview

Gonna repost this here since the other thread has been shut down. Not to start more arguments, but because the other closed thread will soon drop out of sight.

For those that may have missed it in VH Main...

http://www.vhnd.com/2012/05/23/micha...new-interview/

Good Enough
    Last Online

05.15.16 @ 10:48 PM
    Liked 164 Times in 76 Posts

Brett hates Wolfgang Van Halen.

Thought I'd cut to the chase.

Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

TIE! Humans Being and HAIL
    Last Online

09.07.17 @ 09:37 PM
    Liked 90 Times in 37 Posts

And ToddE moves all in! What a play!

Favorite VH Album

VH2
    Favorite VH Song

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Last Online

08.11.12 @ 09:45 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I adore Michael Anthony and it would have been my dream come true for the entire band to be reunited. But things happen, and it sounds like Mike is in a good place with it all. Therefore, how can I really bitch and moan over it?
    "In what twisted universe does mastering Eddie Van Halen's two handed arpeggio technique count as ABSOLUTELY NOTHING?!"

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,297 Times in 3,167 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

You know I thought about Mikey the other day and I got mad. Mike stood by the brothers in everything and they kicked him out? After Dave, Sammy and Gary and his loyalty to the brothers they kicked him out? Thats as fucked up as it gets. I'm somewhat of an Eddie apologist and that for some odd reason just pissed me off.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:26 PM
    Liked 37 Times in 19 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fuddman5150 View Post
    You know I thought about Mikey the other day and I got mad. Mike stood by the brothers in everything and they kicked him out? After Dave, Sammy and Gary and his loyalty to the brothers they kicked him out? Thats as fucked up as it gets. I'm somewhat of an Eddie apologist and that for some odd reason just pissed me off.
    That's just it though, touring and playing with Sammy was viewed by them as NOT being loyal. Keep in mind that at the time Sammy was still enemy number one. I'm not saying I agree with their viewpoint, but that's most likely how they viewed the whole affair and that's why he got the boot. Had he played and toured with anyone else, he may well still be in the band.
    "People say Cream gave birth to Heavy Metal," says Baker. "If that's so, we should have had an abortion."

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind of Truth
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

01.13.16 @ 05:43 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I remember the slow years where *nothing* was happening after VHIII, and don't fault Mike for wanting to get out and play. As far as anyone knew, except for rumors, the band was done.
    Staying Frosty

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Back to ADKT - Cuz it is new
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.30.17 @ 05:08 AM
    Liked 35 Times in 25 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Number 47 View Post
    Gonna repost this here since the other thread has been shut down. Not to start more arguments, but because the other closed thread will soon drop out of sight.

For those that may have missed it in VH Main...

http://www.vhnd.com/2012/05/23/micha...new-interview/
    Mike is still a class act in my book. Gotta love the way he has consistently handled this time and time again
    It is what it is

I won't insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said

I could tell that my parents hated me. My bath toys were a toaster and a radio.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Back to ADKT - Cuz it is new
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.30.17 @ 05:08 AM
    Liked 35 Times in 25 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Burning Tires View Post
    I remember the slow years where *nothing* was happening after VHIII, and don't fault Mike for wanting to get out and play. As far as anyone knew, except for rumors, the band was done.
    Not to mention that Mike was not ready to wait for EVH either. I do not think I could have, especially things kept getting stagnant

Thankfully I caught the 2004 tour and got to meet him and Sammy backstage prior to the show. Cool guys
    It is what it is

I won't insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said

I could tell that my parents hated me. My bath toys were a toaster and a radio.

Existentially Uncertain Fontcow's Avatar
    Last Online

03.13.17 @ 07:58 PM
    Liked 868 Times in 463 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chain View Post
    That's just it though, touring and playing with Sammy was viewed by them as NOT being loyal. Keep in mind that at the time Sammy was still enemy number one. I'm not saying I agree with their viewpoint, but that's most likely how they viewed the whole affair and that's why he got the boot. Had he played and toured with anyone else, he may well still be in the band.
    Playing with Sammy didn't help but it isn't the primary reason Mike isn't in Van Halen. With Wolfgang growing older and becoming a musician himself it was inescapable he would be in Van Halen. I don't think it matters what Mike did or has done—or who was playing bass for that matter. When it came time for Ed having the desire to play with his son, nothing else mattered and it was inevitable for Wolfgang to be ushered into the band. Mike playing with Sammy is just the perfect scapegoat/alibi rationalization for Ed.

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

@

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Fontcow View Post
    Playing with Sammy didn't help but it isn't the primary reason Mike isn't in Van Halen. With Wolfgang growing older and becoming a musician himself it was inescapable he would be in Van Halen. I don't think it matters what Mike did or has done—or who was playing bass for that matter. When it came time for Ed having the desire to play with his son, nothing else mattered and it was inevitable for Wolfgang to be ushered into the band. Mike playing with Sammy is just the perfect scapegoat/alibi rationalization for Ed.
    I agree but why did Ed go apeshit in 2004 then? Wolfie couldn't go on stage yet? I understand the enevitability of Wolfie but what about 2004?

Existentially Uncertain Fontcow's Avatar
    Last Online

03.13.17 @ 07:58 PM
    Liked 868 Times in 463 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fuddman5150 View Post
    I agree but why did Ed go apeshit in 2004 then? Wolfie couldn't go on stage yet? I understand the enevitability of Wolfie but what about 2004?
    The answers to why Ed went apeshit in 2004 are innumerable. However, I think the one that tops the list is found at the bottom of a bottle of Smoking Loon. It's sad but probably as close to the truth of understanding that era of the band as we'll ever get. Because the one thing about 2004 that doesn't make any sense is that if Ed didn't want Mike playing on the recordings or the tour because he played with Sammy—then why was Sammy getting a pass? It made no sense not wanting Mike playing a Van Halen reunion with Sammy because he played with Sammy. Read that sentence again and tell me if it makes any sense to you because it certainly doesn't make sense to me. Basically it's obvious Ed has had issues with Mike for a long, long time and simply can't be honest about it and thus uses thinly-veiled scapegoats and alibis to explain it instead of the truth. Having Wolfgang become old enough and good enough to join the band became the perfect be all and end all of excuses that put an end to Mike's involvement in Van Halen. It's the perfect neat little bow on all that drama too because who is going to begrudge anyone for wanting to work with their son? Not even Mike does!
    Last edited by Fontcow; 05.30.12 at 02:20 PM.

Favorite VH Album

VH2
    Favorite VH Song

Take Your Whiskey Home
    Last Online

08.11.12 @ 09:45 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't think anyone can hold it against Eddie for wanting Wolfgang in the band, but as an old fan I can say I do miss Mike. It's just not the same. Not saying it's bad, just different. The Chili Peppers don't seem right without John Frusciante, but they are doing fine. Alice in Chains will never be the same without Layne, but I like that they are still around. Basically what it amounts to is would you rather hear the band you love playing and recording with a new person or two or would you rather they did nothing at all? Me, I like hearing Van Halen any way I can.
    "In what twisted universe does mastering Eddie Van Halen's two handed arpeggio technique count as ABSOLUTELY NOTHING?!"

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:26 PM
    Liked 37 Times in 19 Posts

Yes, we all know Ed has has issues with Mike for years, but what I'm suggesting is Mike's decision to tour with Hagar was the straw that broke the camel's back so to speak. And I'm not defending Ed, just suggesting that it's why Mike was booted. And the Wolfgang thing, while it would most likely have come to pass at some point in time, wasn't, I'm suggesting, the motive back in the early to mid 2000's. As I mentioned in another thread, Billy Sheehan has gone on record as saying he was asked again in 2007 to join Van Halen for their reunion tour with Roth and declined. That is proof enough in my book that at that time at least, Wolf joining the band was the fall back position and not Ed's first choice.

Finally, I think Mike is in a better situation and far happier anyway. And good for him.
    "People say Cream gave birth to Heavy Metal," says Baker. "If that's so, we should have had an abortion."

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

@

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by chain View Post
    Yes, we all know Ed has has issues with Mike for years, but what I'm suggesting is Mike's decision to tour with Hagar was the straw that broke the camel's back so to speak. And I'm not defending Ed, just suggesting that it's why Mike was booted. And the Wolfgang thing, while it would most likely have come to pass at some point in time, wasn't, I'm suggesting, the motive back in the early to mid 2000's. As I mentioned in another thread, Billy Sheehan has gone on record as saying he was asked again in 2007 to join Van Halen for their reunion tour with Roth and declined. That is proof enough in my book that at that time at least, Wolf joining the band was the fall back position and not Ed's first choice.

Finally, I think Mike is in a better situation and far happier anyway. And good for him.
    I just can't get over letting Sammy back but kicking or attempting to kick Mike out. Just doesn't make sense.