Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Romeo Delight
    Last Online

08.23.12 @ 01:54 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default VH & Monster Truck Rally what does DLR mean?

In a video the band's posted (embedded below), it doesn't appear that Roth is using one of his colorful rock 'n' roll metaphors when he tells fans to expect a "super-sized monster-truck rally Van Halen tractor-pull sort-of-event" when the band eventually reschedules its 30-plus postponed tour dates. No clue as to what that means, but he says it will happen as "soon as the band learns to speak Australia.

I know im dreaming but does DLR mean a new album? IS that what they will bring with them? Wolf and Ed said said in the Esquire interview they were thinking about a double album. Or are they looking at doing a Van Halenized ozzfest?

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:05 PM
    Liked 11,743 Times in 6,505 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by daveswisdom1984 View Post
    In a video the band's posted (embedded below), it doesn't appear that Roth is using one of his colorful rock 'n' roll metaphors when he tells fans to expect a "super-sized monster-truck rally Van Halen tractor-pull sort-of-event" when the band eventually reschedules its 30-plus postponed tour dates. No clue as to what that means, but he says it will happen as "soon as the band learns to speak Australia.

I know im dreaming but does DLR mean a new album? IS that what they will bring with them? Wolf and Ed said said in the Esquire interview they were thinking about a double album. Or are they looking at doing a Van Halenized ozzfest?
    Hmm, I like your VH ozzfest idea.

Favorite VH Album

VH, VH2, FW, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Big River, Little Guitars
    Last Online

03.22.17 @ 07:01 AM
    Liked 120 Times in 49 Posts

He's simply selling the tour, albeit in his own unique way.
    Waylon Jennings: 1937-2002.
    "There ain't nothin' quite as sad as watching your heroes die."

RIP, Hoss!

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 04:19 PM
    Liked 6,826 Times in 3,568 Posts

Premium Member

He's just hoping another thread gets started naming bands that will never open for Van Halen... or that Van Halen would have to open for.

Maybe they are going to dump a few hundred truck loads of dirt in the middle of the arenas, form a track around the outside, let trucks in and play their set in the middle... that's my bet.

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 10:19 AM
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Number 47 View Post
    He's just hoping another thread gets started naming bands that will never open for Van Halen... or that Van Halen would have to open for.
    'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 07:02 PM
    Liked 6,673 Times in 3,698 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Casemeister View Post
    He's simply selling the tour, albeit in his own unique way.
    this.

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:05 PM
    Liked 11,743 Times in 6,505 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Number 47 View Post

Maybe they are going to dump a few hundred truck loads of dirt in the middle of the arenas, form a track around the outside, let trucks in and play their set in the middle... that's my bet.
    Or they're dumping the dirt in order to have the biggest mud wrestling event in history!

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Love 'em all! (esp. F.U.C.K)
    Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

12.04.17 @ 04:15 PM
    Liked 1,228 Times in 845 Posts

Or, maybe it's an ingenious clue that a double-bill with Chickenfoot is in the offing...

I'm FEMALE...Deal with it!

"Whatever you do, wherever you go, there you are..." Edward Van Halen 1986

"You spend the first part of your life trying to make your mark, and the second part just trying to cover up your tracks"... Weesfreewheelin, 2012

"Life's too short to stuff a mushroom"... Shirley Conran, 1975

"You turn if you want to...The LADY is NOT for turning!"...Margaret
    Thatcher, 1980

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

07.17.17 @ 03:12 PM
    Liked 77 Times in 30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by daveswisdom1984 View Post

Are you being serious? I swear to God, some of you guys start threads just to start threads. If you have any clue as to how Dave traditionally gets his point across it's full of metaphors that make sense to only one person - himself. It's part of his charm. There's no hidden meaning, no ulterior motive, and no actual "Monster Truck" event.

Christ.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

08.23.12 @ 01:54 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

"Lighten up Francis" just having some fun hey ya never know.

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 09:52 PM
    Liked 2,275 Times in 1,167 Posts

12 ways to SUPERCHARGE the tour into OVERDRIVE

1. Better Stage... Create something more over the top. Ala Fair Warning, 1984... Speaker cabs everywhere... Ramps, graphics, Mötley Crüe have been masters at this recently.

2. Better content on that 1000 square foot video screen behind the stage. Video content that matches the songs... Also cut down the B&W.

3. Slow the pace slightly. The band is charging through the set list a bit too quickly. VH was always known for great onstage antics, pacing and variety.

4. A huge dramatic ending... A real encore with cheering crowd in the dark with lighters or cell phones lit up. One of the greatest point in any killer rock concert.

5. Flaming gong !!!

6. Work up another 5 deep cuts so each night there are a total of 12 deeps cuts to pull from, where you would have no idea which 6 out of that 12 you would hear that particular night.

7. Opening band........ RATT

8. Longer show.... 2 hours, 15 minutes instead of the present 1 hour, 50 minutes

9. Drop the dog video.... I think it's cool but it DOES NOT apply to VH.

10. Have Eddie play a striped roughed-up RED Frankenstrat for the ENTIRE SHOW. Get rid of the stock Wolfgang... So boring looking.

11. Drop "The Trouble with Never" and "Chinatown"... Replace with "Beats Workin" and "Stay Frosty".

12. Have an announcer go back to the classic introduction ... "ARE YOU READY!!! .... I GIVE YOU.... THE MIGHTY .... VANNNNNN.... HAAAALENNNNN"... While Eddie goes insane for that 1 minute.
    Last edited by noise next door; 05.23.12 at 09:54 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 03:28 PM
    Liked 544 Times in 277 Posts

noise next door...I like your suggestions but you left one off..MORE COWBELL!

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 09:52 PM
    Liked 2,275 Times in 1,167 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FW1981 View Post
    noise next door...I like your suggestions but you left one off..MORE COWBELL!
    LOL...

I've got that covered in the new inclusion of "Beats Workin"... It's got a killer CB section under the "Day Tripper" bass line.

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad, Hang 'em High
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 10:56 AM
    Liked 2,848 Times in 1,230 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by noise next door View Post
    12 ways to SUPERCHARGE the tour into OVERDRIVE

1. Better Stage... Create something more over the top. Ala Fair Warning, 1984... Speaker cabs everywhere... Ramps, graphics, Mötley Crüe have been masters at this recently.
    The stage is fine. VH let's the music speak for themselves. Unless you are taking about Pink Floyd or Peter Gabriel in the 90's, I don't think a stage is going to sell more tix.

2. Better content on that 1000 square foot video screen behind the stage. Video content that matches the songs... Also cut down the B&W.
    I haven't seen the show yet, so I can't comment on this. Are you talking about original video footage? New footage? New footage would cost a fortune.

3. Slow the pace slightly. The band is charging through the set list a bit too quickly. VH was always known for great onstage antics, pacing and variety.
    I couldn't disagree with this one any more. The more tunes they pack in, the better. I never saw CVH live due to my age, but in the vast amount of bootlegs I have, I found all the downtime and Dave rambles to be boring as hell. If they ramble, the songs that are going to get cut out are the deep cuts that make the show exciting for me.

4. A huge dramatic ending... A real encore with cheering crowd in the dark with lighters or cell phones lit up. One of the greatest point in any killer rock concert.
    This is a little to Kumbaya for Van Halen. How about flaming midgets or burning cauldron full of naked and steaming....wait, that is another thread.

5. Flaming gong !!!
    Ok, now you are tracking with me on the fire thing. Bring it on.

6. Work up another 5 deep cuts so each night there are a total of 12 deeps cuts to pull from, where you would have no idea which 6 out of that 12 you would hear that particular night.
    Yes. DDL, Sinner's Swing, Simple Rhyme, On Fire (on second thought, Dave's voice might crack and open a worm hole to another dimension), House of Pain, As Is, Stay Frosty, Light Up the Sky, and bring back Hang 'Em High.

7. Opening band........ RATT
    The 8 people who still have mullets in the crowd will rage over this. The rest will be drinking in the bars across the street waiting for VH go on.

8. Longer show.... 2 hours, 15 minutes instead of the present 1 hour, 50 minutes
    More time. More things on fire. Maybe they can burn KISS in effigy every night.

9. Drop the dog video.... I think it's cool but it DOES NOT apply to VH.
    Haven't seen the show yet, but that sure is a curious source of content. Maybe Cesar Milan is financing the 2nd leg?

10. Have Eddie play a striped roughed-up RED Frankenstrat for the ENTIRE SHOW. Get rid of the stock Wolfgang... So boring looking.
    Eddie plays WG's now. He's moved on and evolved. I love the Stealth. The nod to the Classic era for a few tunes is good enough. Eddie hasn't played the Franky regularly since the '84 tour. Plus, where is the red button on the Franky? How is he going to shock Dave without his Stealth.

11. Drop "The Trouble with Never" and "Chinatown"... Replace with "Beats Workin" and "Stay Frosty".
    I wouldn't mind some more variety in the new stuff. I like Chinatown a lot, though.

12. Have an announcer go back to the classic introduction ... "ARE YOU READY!!! .... I GIVE YOU.... THE MIGHTY .... VANNNNNN.... HAAAALENNNNN"... While Eddie goes insane for that 1 minute.
    I love that intro back in the day. I think it could be overdone though announcing for a bunch of almost 60 yr olds. VH still rocks, but I like the no bullshit, go out there and put on a hell of a show thing they are doing now.

We don't agree on much, do we?

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 10:32 PM
    Liked 531 Times in 278 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Reckless Fable View Post
    I haven't seen the show yet, so I can't comment on this. Are you talking about original video footage? New footage? New footage would cost a fortune.
    The band use a *lot* of repetitive b/w promo footage shot before the tour instead of just what's actually happening on stage. In many fan's view, it's a waste of that huge screen unlike how the screen was used on the last tour to show what was actually going on for those in the cheap seats.