Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Lancashire(Preston and Manchester), England...the ORIGINAL, NOT 'New England'
    Favorite VH Album

VH 3 and 5150
    Last Online

09.04.12 @ 11:15 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Why won't Van Halen tour Europe?

Ok, after the recent update from David Lee Roth I think it is now finally time for us to tackle this formally and in light of the bands current activity. I know this topic has been discussed in multiple topics but its time now that it had its own dedicated thread.

Nothing brings me more happiness than seeing the American fans enjoying Van Halen from city to city with all cylinders firing. You guys all deserve this after everything Van Halen fans have been through.

Actually, I tell a lie - one thing would bring me more happiness, to see them in my own country or even a country in Europe (even for ONE show).

I just don't understand the seeming blackout of Europe. What is the source of this? I do not see that the 'popularity of the band' argument makes any sense. If you are willing to take a tour to Australia with a population of 22 million people then you should be willing to take the band to a country like Britain (65 million) or Germany (81 million). Its simple probability and economies of scale that by your presence in one of these countries you are inevitably going to sell MORE albums than any number of shows in Australia.

Dont get me wrong here - Australian/Japanese fans deserve to see the band as much as any Euro fan.

However lets not forget also than Van Halen cancelled the majority of their 1998 European tour too. European fans are longing for Van Halen. Rock and Roll is in our blood over here. With the recent videos of Dave and Eddie reminiscing about the old tour bus in the UK I honestly thought 'GREAT! They haven't forgotton us'. How wrong I was.

The reception Extreme got when they came here a few years back was nothing short of remarkable. Its time the European blackhole on Eddies world map was filled in. If you dont come for the money Eddie come to show your son Europe! The birthplace of western civilization and democracy.
    'The whole world is watching you tonight!'

Official VHLinks Van Halen 3 fan.

'The III Brigade' - show your support for Van Halen 3 by wearing this sig!

Recognise VH3 for what it was! - A fantastic third incarnation of the greatest band of all time!

YO!Edward and Mishar McLeud - founding members of the III Brigade.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:41 PM
    Liked 199 Times in 105 Posts

1. no one said they aren't going to Europe
    2. the tour is going for 2 years
    3. they cancelled the 98 shows because of low ticket sales
    4. last time they played England, they had to open for Bon Jovi. (I'm convinced that Ed is stilled pissed over that one )
    5. All things point to them getting there so just breathe.

Lancashire(Preston and Manchester), England...the ORIGINAL, NOT 'New England'
    Favorite VH Album

VH 3 and 5150
    Last Online

09.04.12 @ 11:15 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sinner's swing View Post
    1. no one said they aren't going to Europe
    2. the tour is going for 2 years
    3. they cancelled the 98 shows because of low ticket sales
    4. last time they played England, they had to open for Bon Jovi. (I'm convinced that Ed is stilled pissed over that one )
    5. All things point to them getting there so just breathe.
    I hope you are right. I should be absolutely clear here - the tone of this thread is not one of anger or resentment, its simply one of exasperation. Its quite a lonely feeling for us European fans at the moment.

I think I can speak for most of us when I say that if DLR alluded to us (like he has about pretty much every region of earth except Europe) in one of his cool videos we would, as some of you Americans on here like to say, 'STFU'.

Just acknowledge our existence.

I also think your point number 4 has some legs. That was ridiculous (but blame the Jon Bon Jovi not the British fans haha)
    'The whole world is watching you tonight!'

Official VHLinks Van Halen 3 fan.

'The III Brigade' - show your support for Van Halen 3 by wearing this sig!

Recognise VH3 for what it was! - A fantastic third incarnation of the greatest band of all time!

YO!Edward and Mishar McLeud - founding members of the III Brigade.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

05.17.15 @ 11:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The question is backwards. The question is why has a promoter not put together a package that is compelling to bring VanHalen to Europe? And the answer probably is;

Past draw performance,

General state of the economy. It's an expensive ticket.

And can you sell with no promotion in that market? They're not going to participate in the "hilarious" banter with the local presenters.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Love 'em all! (esp. F.U.C.K)
    Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

12.04.17 @ 04:15 PM
    Liked 1,228 Times in 845 Posts

I would LOVE for them to come here (the UK) - but I have serious doubts, for the following reasons:

1) Just not lucrative enough - they can't possibly charge the same for tickets as they do in the US. British customers simply won't pay those prices - by way of example, Chickenfoot tickets cost approx. £25 ($40); they played small venues and packed them out but would VH be content to play in such places, for such a small return? I can't see it - but I hope I'm wrong...

(Just as an aside, the triple bill of Def Leppard / Motley Crue / Steel Panther played to larger arenas with tickets costing about £45 ($75). However, they did have to make a real 'occasion' of it by co-headlining, thereby justifying the higher ticket prices...Would VH be willing to go down that route again, after the Bon Jovi episode? (Sam's original book described Ed as being desolate at the band's poor reception when compared to that of Bon Jovi)).

2) Egos - don't get me wrong, there are plenty of people ready and willing to see VH here in the UK but, generally speaking, the band don't have the critical acclaim they have elsewhere...Would Dave and the VH family be willing to face the fact that they're just not that popular? It would be a real blow to the old ego to have that fact brought home to them in no uncertain terms...Plus, let's face it, the British music press are amongst THE harshest critics on the planet and if, as some reports suggest, Dave's performances are not up to par, that would guarantee some fairly scathing reviews, undoubtedly exacerbated by the band's reluctance to do any interviews etc...

3) The weather - that should be enough to put anyone off!

So, although I remain hopeful of a visit at some point in the future, in my humble opinion it seems a tad unlikely...However, if we've learnt ANYTHING by now of the Van Halen MO, it's to expect the unexpected so we'll just have to wait and see..!
    I'm FEMALE...Deal with it!

"Whatever you do, wherever you go, there you are..." Edward Van Halen 1986

"You spend the first part of your life trying to make your mark, and the second part just trying to cover up your tracks"... Weesfreewheelin, 2012

"Life's too short to stuff a mushroom"... Shirley Conran, 1975

"You turn if you want to...The LADY is NOT for turning!"...Margaret
    Thatcher, 1980

Top Of The World
    Last Online

02.17.16 @ 10:54 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Van Halen could easily sell out a European tour, just don't do multiple dates in one country. Just one in the UK, one in Holland, one in Germany, one in France , one in Sweden etc etc. They need to forget this Bon Jovi crap that happened in
    '95

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

VH 1 & 1984 & ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

In a simple rhyme
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:08 AM
    Liked 266 Times in 120 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dibblekins View Post
    I would LOVE for them to come here (the UK) - but I have serious doubts, for the following reasons:

3) The weather - that should be enough to put anyone off! )

haha...

We know Dave didn't do "California Girls" for nothing. '-)

cheers
    -mrC.
    *Follow my ubiquitous audio/video/composing/production mishaps, with & without The OBViOUS ... often resulting in hilarious musical consequnces:

http://www.facebook.com/mrChristopherTV
    http://www.facebook.com/theobviouscom

٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

12.23.16 @ 10:32 AM
    Liked 2,068 Times in 1,102 Posts

Donor

They don't have any voltage adapters for their lights and amps

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Women and Kids first
    Favorite VH Song

Sinner's Swing
    Last Online

05.20.12 @ 10:36 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If they don't come to the UK on this tour, then it will be all over for me!

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Not Enough
    Last Online

03.13.16 @ 05:51 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I can't be arsed with most bands that I'd like to see when they come to the UK though, it's always the same shit playing one or two dates at the bottom end of the country. All well and good that I could travel down but it makes it a fucking expensive evening out by the time train tickets and possibly and overnight stay is added to the cost of a pair of tickets.

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 10:57 AM
    Liked 11,761 Times in 6,516 Posts

Premium Member

I asked an old friend of mine about this years ago in the 80's. He was from London and his response was, "They are the quintessential American band, we just don't get them over here". Eddie kind of said the same thing in Esquire when he was talking about Dave.

I personally don't see why they wouldn't still be popular enough to go there.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

05.27.12 @ 03:37 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Van Halen are coming to Europe. :smoking:

Van Halen had a run of dates scheduled for 2012 which were cancelled because I think [ as we all now know ], EVH was having treatment for cancer and the band were searching for the right International Recording deal - and Interscope offered the best international marketing.......

My guess is Summer 2013 - festivals including Download [ Castle Donington ]. VH's last appearance with DLR in the UK was Monsters of Rock [ subbing to ACDC - Castle Donington]. They came onto Unchained. I can see..."for the first time in 30 years [ with DLR] the Mighty Van Halen and launch into Unchained.......

The promoter of Download Andy Copping loves classic VH and said it is an ambition the get them booked at Download.....

I saw then in 1984 and intend to be there again for their triumphant headline slot......

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 04:02 AM
    Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by leonardo View Post
    Van Halen could easily sell out a European tour, just don't do multiple dates in one country. Just one in the UK, one in Holland, one in Germany, one in France , one in Sweden etc etc. They need to forget this Bon Jovi crap that happened in
    '95
    Think that would be the way to go. Certainly don't see them in the UK selling out arenas in say London, Birmingham & Manchester etc & I could not envisage them playing smaller venues.

Such a shame that they messed things up over here.....................

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

05.27.12 @ 03:37 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I honestly think they will do a run of 12-16 Euro dates. I also think its notable that DLR gave an interview to Classic Rock [ UK Magazine ] that really 'centred' on VH earlier this year.

Plus, at Download they will erase the BJ memory and better their slot in 1984 [ subbing to ACDC ] and will be greeted like conquering heroes - all the Classic Rock acts at Download have gone down extraordinarily well over the years.....VH need to trust Copping [ DLOAD promoter ] on this.....

Australia is a bigger risk imho.

People really, really do want VH to succeed over here

Finally, ADKOT is their highest charting album in the UK, ever......

KTF

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

04.17.14 @ 01:21 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i hope they come to the uk. but i just cant see it happening.