Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    On Fire
    Last Online

10.04.16 @ 10:31 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default after using all those EVH pu's i went with

Life is odd because after owning every VH pu made,the Frankenstein,the 78, the wolfgangs,ebmm custom dmz's,charvel art pup,duncan custom,gibson 84T,duncan CC ,duncan 59 and numerous others like the eruptor,Mr brownie,arcane brownbucker,etc you get the idea! LOL!
    They were all excellent pu's but they all lacked a certain something i was after for his tone so i went with what to my ears did it all the best, all era's of halen and then some, they are called the asylum by MHD handwounds these are my absolute fav pup for all things dutch and even playing metal im my band with a 5150II stack, these things kill the competition IMHO

http://mhd-pickups.com/
    just wanted to get the word out i am not spamming.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

07.14.12 @ 10:44 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Charvelstrat_81 View Post
    Life is odd because after owning every VH pu made,the Frankenstein,the 78, the wolfgangs,ebmm custom dmz's,charvel art pup,duncan custom,gibson 84T,duncan CC ,duncan 59 and numerous others like the eruptor,Mr brownie,arcane brownbucker,etc you get the idea! LOL!
    They were all excellent pu's but they all lacked a certain something i was after for his tone so i went with what to my ears did it all the best, all era's of halen and then some, they are called the asylum by MHD handwounds these are my absolute fav pup for all things dutch and even playing metal im my band with a 5150II stack, these things kill the competition IMHO

http://mhd-pickups.com/
    just wanted to get the word out i am not spamming.
    what was the "certain something" that the pickup has that you didnt get from something like the arcane brownbucker for example?
    Mark

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rockstah View Post
    what was the "certain something" that the pickup has that you didnt get from something like the arcane brownbucker for example?
    Mark

Mark
    i typed wrong. what was the "certain something" you got from the http://mhd-pickups.com/ pickups?

On Fire
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i typed wrong. what was the "certain something" you got from the http://mhd-pickups.com/ pickups?
    Mark it is a bit hard to expain but it is how the pu sounds when played clean and when you roll back the volume knob with a decent amount of gain. Like ed's the 14K MHD asylum not only cleans up as good as any real PAF it has that almost single coil like tone to it,like on bottoms up or the breakdown in light up the sky when eddie does that clean part. If you listen carefull you willhear a very stratty tone comein from his bucker

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Mark it is a bit hard to expain but it is how the pu sounds when played clean and when you roll back the volume knob with a decent amount of gain. Like ed's the 14K MHD asylum not only cleans up as good as any real PAF it has that almost single coil like tone to it,like on bottoms up or the breakdown in light up the sky when eddie does that clean part. If you listen carefull you willhear a very stratty tone comein from his bucker
    cool. i'm about to try out the BrownBucker but i will keep your post in mind.

Last Online

10.10.17 @ 06:08 AM
    Liked 16 Times in 9 Posts

What I don't get, and I've to admit, I am not much of a pickup swapper, is, what the deal is with recommendations for pickups.

In terms of the EQ chain (guitar - pickup - amp), to me it seems that the guitar and its sonic properties kind of define what kind of a pickup and its sonic properites need to be, to get the sound that you want.

So if that's right, there is no ONE pickup, but only the appropriate one for your guitar. A very individual thing.

Or is the pickup the defining characteristic and one should really match the guitar to it ? Sort of like the other way round ? Still I don't believe that there is the ONE pickup to satisfy all requirements.
    Thanks for paying my rent. -- EVH

On Fire
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PassingBy View Post
    What I don't get, and I've to admit, I am not much of a pickup swapper, is, what the deal is with recommendations for pickups.

In terms of the EQ chain (guitar - pickup - amp), to me it seems that the guitar and its sonic properties kind of define what kind of a pickup and its sonic properites need to be, to get the sound that you want.

So if that's right, there is no ONE pickup, but only the appropriate one for your guitar. A very individual thing.

Or is the pickup the defining characteristic and one should really match the guitar to it ? Sort of like the other way round ? Still I don't believe that there is the ONE pickup to satisfy all requirements.
    you are absolutely correct and unfortunately for me i am just coming to realize this, I have a duncan CC that sounds great in one charvel but sounded like ass in another charvel very similar in build so what you said is definitely true . I personally will NEVER recommend anyone a pup again since i have heard in my own experience that each guitar has to have a pup to match it and that can only be accomplished by trial and error IMHO..

Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:34 PM
    Liked 728 Times in 345 Posts

This is pretty true.

Pickups are a huge part of the tone chain. The big thing that makes pickups sound good or bad in a particular guitar is the pickup's EQ curve. Lets say a guitar's construction lends itself to enhance the bottom end. If you put in a pickup with lots of bass response, it will sound muddy, so you would want a pickup with more of a high mid and high response. For a lightweight guitar with a Floyd Rose, you would want to put in a pickup with more bottom end response. There are many resources on pickup manufacturers websites to try to explain the EQ curve of the pickup, or even recommend a pickup based on the type of guitar you have. Unfortunately, it's still a bit of trial-and-error. You can know the type of wood and the weight, and base your decision on that, but your bridge construction and materials may throw it all off.

The other thing to consider about construction of your guitar is where is the pickup located in relationship to the vibrating length of the string? The closer it is to the bridge, the more the high end is emphasized. The farther away from the bridge, the more mellow. We're talking about millimeters making a difference.

One thing you may want to try after installing a new pickup is adjusting the pickup height. I know it seems pretty elementary, but there are a lot of people who think the pole pieces need to be a specific distance from the strings. For instance, I installed a Custom Custom in a guitar, and it sounded like crap. I lowered the bass string end so that the pickup was at an angle, and it sounded great. I put Wolfgang pickups in my AX40, and it sounded like crap with the pickups adjusted to the same distance from the strings as my EBMM/EVH. I lowered the pickups 3 full turns, and it sounds great. I guess what I'm trying to say is, don't give up on a pickup immediately if you aren't initially happy with the sound. You can make adjustments to help the tone. If you think the pickup sounds too harsh, you can replace the 500k volume pot with a 250k. If it is muddy, you can do the opposite.
    Last edited by nobozos; 06.14.12 at 02:21 PM.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

On Fire
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nobozos View Post
    This is pretty true.

Pickups are a huge part of the tone chain. The big thing that makes pickups sound good or bad in a particular guitar is the pickup's EQ curve. Lets say a guitar's construction lends itself to enhance the bottom end. If you put in a pickup with lots of bass response, it will sound muddy, so you would want a pickup with more of a high mid and high response. For a lightweight guitar with a Floyd Rose, you would want to put in a pickup with more bottom end response. There are many resources on pickup manufacturers websites to try to explain the EQ curve of the pickup, or even recommend a pickup based on the type of guitar you have. Unfortunately, it's still a bit of trial-and-error. You can know the type of wood and the weight, and base your decision on that, but your bridge construction and materials may throw it all off.

The other thing to consider about construction of your guitar is where is the pickup located in relationship to the vibrating length of the string? The closer it is to the bridge, the more the high end is emphasized. The farther away from the bridge, the more mellow. We're talking about millimeters making a difference.

One thing you may want to try after installing a new pickup is adjusting the pickup height. I know it seems pretty elementary, but there are a lot of people who think the pole pieces need to be a specific distance from the strings. For instance, I installed a Custom Custom in a guitar, and it sounded like crap. I lowered the bass string end so that the pickup was at an angle, and it sounded great. I put Wolfgang pickups in my AX40, and it sounded like crap with the pickups adjusted to the same distance from the strings as my EBMM/EVH. I lowered the pickups 3 full turns, and it sounds great. I guess what I'm trying to say is, don't give up on a pickup immediately if you aren't initially happy with the sound. You can make adjustments to help the tone. If you think the pickup sounds too harsh, you can replace the 500k volume pot with a 250k. If it is muddy, you can do the opposite.
    Pickup post of the century right here!!!! it is refreshing to hear someone who obviously knows his shit about this!

Eruption
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 10:09 AM
    Liked 109 Times in 70 Posts

This is pretty true.

Great post. I am constantly swapping pick-ups and adjusting them until I get that particular "sound"! And you're absolutely right: just a few millimeters can make all the difference- it continually amazes me!
    The only thing I would add is to also consider a trying 300K pot. I've had some could results with them.
    I also believe that temperature, humidity and how much (or how little) "juice" the electric company is sending to your house/studio/club is a factor in determining how a guitar, pick-up and amp sound on any given day.
    WGAF?!!

On Fire
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jimi11580 View Post
    I also believe that temperature, humidity and how much (or how little) "juice" the electric company is sending to your house/studio/club is a factor in determining how a guitar, pick-up and amp sound on any given day.
    Is this why some days my rig sounds amazing and other days not so much?

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Is this why some days my rig sounds amazing and other days not so much?
    Yep.

This is pretty true.

+1 to all of that.

Another thing to consider is the input impedance of your amplifier, or whatever the first unit in your effects chain is (the first thing the guitar plugs into). That is the simple circuit that your guitar interacts with directly. Input impedance can have a HUGE effect on tone, and is a lot of the reason why some guitars and pickups just sound great through certain amp designs, and not so great through others. It also affects how your guitar's electronics react with the amplifier, and it affects the 'feel' of your entire setup.

One simple thing to try if you are having problems with a particular guitar sounding bad into a particular amp, is to add a clean buffer inbetween the guitar and the amp input. You can do this by attaching many brands of wah's in the 'off' position (wahs that are NOT true bypass), or using a tubescreamer with the controls set to neutral, etc. Sometimes changing the impedance is enough to really alter the overall tone and feel.

Echoing what nobozo's said, pickup height in relation to the strings, and the the distance from the bridge to the pickups is probably the biggest way to change tone in any given guitar design -- as much so as swapping to a different pickup completely.

If you want to experiment with this yourself, take your favorite bridge pickup in a guitar you like, and measure exactly the height from the strings on the high e and low E side so you can put it back later. Then lower the pickup 4-6mm farther away than it was originally and play the guitar. Then raise the pickup as close to the strings as possible, and play the guitar. Then move the bridge pickup to the neck position and play it there (you'll notice an ASTONISHING difference in sound there).

All of those examples are exaggerated -- but they will allow you to hear the way the pickup sound will trend to when you move it in much smaller increments. When designing a new guitar, moving the bridge pickup towards the neck 3-6mm will change the sound in the same way that moving the bridge pickup all the way to the neck position did, just not as much. And so on.

Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:34 PM
    Liked 728 Times in 345 Posts

The input does make a difference. I discovered a couple things years ago that made a tremendous difference in my tone.

First off, I used to try to use the amp's gain solely to get my heavy sound. I thought hell, it's a 5150 Combo, it's got more gain than I could ever use. The problem was, I didn't care for the quality of the gain over time. What I discovered is, if I turn the gain DOWN on my amp, and put an Overdrive pedal in front of it, I could get a much better high gain tone. The trick is to turn the drive down, and the level up on the overdrive, and set the gain on the amp to a good plexi style gain where it just starts to break up, then balance the gain on the amp and the drive on the overdrive pedal to taste.

Second thing was, I always used the High Gain input on my Peavey amps. If you are doing this, switch to the Low Gain input. Sounds much smoother and creamier.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.