Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Eruption,HFT,Mean Street,Humans Being
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

(The original also had many omitted parts.)

Push Comes to Shove
    Eddie Van Halen comes clean on his war of words with Sam & Dave, and looks to the future

by HP Newquist

I've never seen Eddie Van Halen so angry. Maybe he never has been this angry. He storms around the lounge in his 5150 studio, clenching his hands into fists, and pointing menacingly into the air with wicked finger jabs. Cigar smoke wafts through the air, and the studio is strangely quiet -- no music is playing.

But this isn't about music, not today. Eddie is outraged over the recent events surrounding the band that bears his name. He feels that he has been lied to, betrayed, and made out to be a conniving cutthroat musician by the press, by the music community, and by people he felt had been his friends. In this latter category, two people in particular are the thorns ripping into his side: Sammy Hagar and David Lee Roth.

At the outset of this interview, Eddie started taping our conversation with his own tape recorder. Apparently, a recent article by Entertainment Weekly had misquoted him and he doesn't want that to happen again. "Don't put quotes around stuff I fucking didn't say, you know?", he says referencing EW, his grin not a happy one. He's not taking any chances on this kind of misquoting happening again. But his tape jammed during our talk, and Guitar offered to stop the interview and wait for him to get another recorder. He thought a moment, and said, "Fuck it, I trust you." That's a significant vote of confidence from the one guitarist in America who has always managed to run a successful band -- regardless of who happens to be singing lead.

So here it is -- verbatim -- Eddie Van Halen's side of one of the most heavily publicized guitar-vocalist spats in rock history. Enjoy it -- it's the last thing you're going to hear from him for awhile.

Hagar The Horrible

I'm just so fed up with all the lies and the garbage and the bullshit that Sam and Dave are saying, it's ridiculous. I don't even know where to start. It's like, the Sammy thing was just a long time coming. Especially when I got sober, either he couldn't handle it, or I just started seeing things different. I've changed. I'm an adult. I'm not a fucking kid who's in school, and I'm sick and tired of people trying to take control of me or manipulate me. It's easy to do when you drink. So when I got sober, I didn't start being a control freak -- but I started noticing how Sam's work ethic just sucked. He spent more time on the phone doing outside things: Meat Loaf, Heart, Alice Cooper . . . and then he spends one hour here. Now, what's wrong with this picture?

For me, it's amazing, but since I stopped drinking, I can't stop writing. The man upstairs is going, "ta da!" and giving it to me. I thank him every night. Anyway, [Twister director] Jan de Bont had called me and asked me about doing this music for Twister, and [VH manager] Ray Danniels suggested making it the whole band. Now, de Bont, Alex and I all told Sammy, "Don't write about tornadoes." What does he come in with? "The sky is turning black/my knuckles are turning white/headed for the hot zone." Argh. The song was not all there. So I ended up at the 11th hour pulling out "Humans Being," which had more of an attitude. But Sammy didn't want to finish that song, so I did the singing an octave beneath it. Somebody had to finish it. Then de Bont came up to hear the music, and while we were mainly hired to do a rock and roll song, which was "Humans Being," Jan also wanted a song about a relationship. He walked in and heard an instrumental that Alex and I had worked on, and he said, "What is that? I've got to h

With Sammy, it all just came to a head. It came down to [producer] Glenn Ballard trying to help make that one song for Twister a home run when it was just a base hit, and it boiled down to lyrics and performance. The track was done. But when you have an opening line of "I wanna know you/I wanna see you/you are." and the next line is "I can't see your diamond ring through your shining star," I mean, give me a break! It's like "Wolfie, come up here and help, will ya?" Sammy's take on it is that he got fired over that one line -- that's not it. It's the fact that he refused to be a team player. He took his baseball bat and his mitt and went home because he didn't want to play the way the rest of the team wanted to play. That is what happened. He quit. If he wanted to be in this band and work as a band member, a team player, he'd be here right now. It's that simple.

It started back as far as OU812, almost. Somehow, in my drunken stupor, I agreed with Sammy and Ed Leffler [the band's former manager, who has since passed away ] to do Monsters of Rock, which meant headlining a stadium show when we only had one record under our belt, which is utterly ludicrous. I was just . . . I can't say naive, I was drinking. I was like, just let me make music. And thinking back now with a clear mind, it wasn't . . . [throws up his hands] I feel like I'm fighting ghosts, you know? Lies. I mean, the only reason I'm doing this is because people on the Internet and everyone else are saying, "Wait a minute, Dave and Sam are both saying the same thing, how can they both be lying?" Well, I'm saying, "They fucking are!" If you read their own press releases, you'll find that they're both contradicting themselves. Sammy committed to the Twister project, and now says that we conned him into it. I kept saying, "Why did you commit to this? You're out in Hawaii, you've got a pregnant wife. All they w

I think a lot of it has to do with our age difference. He just turned 50 or whatever, and I'm 41. Maybe he just wants to call it quits and retire -- I have no idea. But you can't be a solo artist in a band. You just can't. You have to collaborate. Why hire a producer if you're not going to listen to any suggestions? We were saying, "Sam, you already got yours on tape. Just try this!" He refused. You know what he said to Glenn? Quote unquote: "If I thought your idea was better, I'd try it. Besides that, I've got an 8:00 flight to catch." And he split. Glenn just said to me, "How long has this been going on?" I said, "Much longer than I care to mention." That was the last straw, but it had built to that.

Then there was the phone call. He says it was Father's Day to make another big deal out of it. I don't know what day it was. I think it was the one fuckin' time he answered the phone, and he quit! I did not fire him. And what it says in Entertainment Weekly is not true. I didn't say, "You've always been a solo artist, so go ahead and go back to being one." I never said that. I said, "Sam, to move on, to continue on as Van Halen with you in it, you need to be a team player, you need to be open, just like I am." If Glenn asks me to do a six-finger bass solo, hey, I'll try it. There's nothing wrong with trying anything else. It might be better. If you don't try it, you'll never know, will you? But he took that vocal exercise [sings]me me me me me me me literally. A lot of singers do. Roth did, too.

Sam was totally against the Greatest Hits, period. He didn't want a Roth CD and Sammy CD. He was afraid Roth's would outsell his, so we made it one CD, half and half. Then he wanted more songs with him singing, and said, "I want more of my songs." Hey! He sang on the songs, but the band wrote them -- they're not your songs. Sammy's the second wife who wanted to pretend like wife number one never existed, which I think was one major mistake on his part because he always refused to do any old Van Halen songs except a couple. It's like the second wife wanting no memory or saying, "Don't mention her name, I don't want to hear about her!" But that's denying six great records and a history. It just all added up to the guy was in his own little world, and he just wasn't a team player, so he quit. I said, "Sam, all we want is for you to be open. I mean, we're running out of people; Glenn ain't going to work with you anymore, the way you treated him. What are you going to do? Are you going to produce?" I said, "Sam,

So he puts out a press release saying that he quit. A week later, I pick up the LA Times Calendar section which says something like, "SAMMY HAGAR OUSTED . . . CONNED INTO THIS AND THAT!" Fuck you! If he tells one more fucking lie about me, I'll come over and kick his goddamned ass. If I see this guy, he'd better be wearing a cup. Just you and me, motherfucker. First a lie detector test, and then boxing gloves.

DLR & LSD

So Sammy quit. Around the same time, Dave was informed about The Greatest Hits by people over at Warner Brothers. He called me up and I sensed a different guy on the phone. I thought he was humbled by his Mariachi Vegas trip or whatever -- he just seemed like a normal guy. Of course, now he claims in the press that he called to make up and make good. Bullshit, he's had 12 years to do that! Yeah, we did apologize to each other, about the mudslinging, childish behavior in the past, but that's not why he called. Because he's right back at it right now, and I've tried very hard to take the high road. But I have to tell the truth, because I'm pissed, and he really deeply hurt my feelings because I thought he had changed. I thought we were friends. I mean, he even said, "Hey, if it all ends tomorrow, at least I got to do it with you guys one more time, and we're friends now."

That's the first fucking thing that went out the window. He basically spit in my face backstage at the end of the MTV Awards. It wasn't his onstage antics, which were embarrassing enough, and that he was rude to Beck. It was afterwards . . .

Anyway, what initially started out to be just a conversation about the Best Of packaging turned out to be a 45-minute phone talk. I told him I'd get back to him and let him know when I knew more. And I was up in the area and I stopped by his house, and smoked cigars in his backyard for about three hours, just bs-ing and had fun, in a way that we never have. We never connected on that level, because we were never really friends, we came from different schools. Our only bond was the band. He had a PA, so that's why we got him in the band. Anyway, I thought he'd changed. He really seemed normal, no more LSD -- no more Lead Singer Disease. A week and a half went by, and I thought, "What are we going to do with this Best Of thing?" Because we aren't going to put it out just the way it is; we want to put something new on. I said to the band, "Roth wants to be involved." Everyone said sure, great idea. I asked him, "How would you like to be involved in one song?" He said, "Sure, I'm not doing anything." So one thin

We had at least 20 pieces of music and he just couldn't connect on anything, so Desmond Child wrote a song for him, and then we found out we couldn't do that, either. I mean, you can't write something for Dave, it has to come from him. He didn't want to do "Me Wise Magic" at first, but then after nothing else worked out, he goes, "Hey how about that one?" It was [originally] the one he didn't want to do, go figure. I just don't get it. These guys are just wired different.

After we got that one out of the way, he said, "How about one more?" We did "Can't Get That Stuff No More." Lyrically, if you listen to it, he never says what you can't get and why you can't get it, but fuck it. So I wrote the melody and it's Dave; it's what it is. But we never alluded to him that he was in the band or anything at the time. If anything, MTV was the one who ran that stupid spot with the Welcome Back, Kotter theme. Then we were basically forced to do the MTV awards. Well, to tell you the honest truth, I would have rather been home instead of spending three days in New York saying, "And the winner is . . ." when I should have been taking my son to his first day of school. But when Warner Brothers and MTV demand something, then that's part of the job.

A week before we went to the MTV Awards, I told him, "Baby steps." I told him every other day. "Dave, we don't even have a song yet, you're putting the cart before a horse that doesn't exist." Plus he pulls a muscle in his leg "preparing for a tour." What tour?!?! We don't even have a fucking song yet! I'm sorry, but that's just the way it is, and he was well aware of it. Now he claims that the only reason he went was because he was told he was in the band. It's a total contradiction, because four days later he was on Howard Stern saying he's not.

What's the matter with these people's minds? Too much weed? Too much sun? I don't know what is wrong with these guys. I'm not lying, I have no reason to. I just have to say how this happened because people are saying, "Well, Eddie's not responding; they must be right." I'm telling you they're both full of shit. They're lying.

What he might have misinterpreted was that a week before he went to the MTV awards, we sat in this very room here, and said, "What are we going to say if we're mobbed by the press?" He quote unquote said, "Let's just tell the truth -- there's less to remember." I said, "Great. The truth is we did two songs for the Best Of album, Warner Brothers wants two videos, and that's it. Now as for the future, I'm not closing the door on it, but you are not the singer now. Maybe we're talking five or 10 years from now." Well, that ain't even going to happen now.

Anyway, he made an idiot out of himself on MTV. I was pretty ridiculous, too, I was as uncomfortable as shit. I don't know what he did right before we went out, but he just went ballistic. He had that Jack Nicholson Joker pasted-on smile. Half the stuff that he was doing they didn't even show on camera. I'm just going, "What's wrong with this guy?" But, after the half-ass standing ovation we got, I'm sure he felt that we would say, "Okay, Dave, you're in."

We go to do our first press conference and the press has all these questions but nobody's answering any of them. Dave is just doing his vaudeville shtick. So I went, "Here's what's happening." I might have come off a little angry, but I was just sick and tired of all this shit. "It's very simple, everybody shut up, here's what's happening. We did two songs from the Best Of, Warner Brothers would like us to do two videos. In December, I'm getting a hip replacement. Now if you think we're going to go doing a nostalgia fucking oldies-but-goodies tour this summer, forget it. Because I'm not in it for the money, and I'm not going to rip off our fans. If and when we ever do a tour with Roth, we will write and record a new album first." That's all I said, and that's the truth.

After about three interviews like that during the awards, his whole vibe changed. Instead of him coming to me and saying, "Would you please just not mention this or that," I had to go to him and say, "Dave, what's the matter? What's happening? What's going on?" He said, "Well, tonight's about me, man, not your fucking hip." I bit my tongue and said, "Okay, next interview, you have a mike and do it, but answer the questions, and I won't say a thing about my hip." He turns to me and he goes, "Fuckin' better not." I almost fucking decked him. I said -- I stuck my finger in his face -- "If you ever fucking talk to me like that again, you'd better be wearing a cup. And you better hold your tongue as of right now, you asshole." That was it. On a professional level, I'll do the videos with you, and you'll have closure on that end, but that's it. Forget it. You don't treat me or anybody the way you just did. Because you'll end up 60 fucking years old without a friend, the way you treat people. And here I am thinking

But at the same time, he couldn't pull this stuff off live -- there's no way he could sing "Magic" live. The low part, yeah, but the chorus -- forget it, no way, and that still has nothing to do with why we're not doing it. It would be ripping off our fans. He has the audacity to say that we don't care about our fans. I do care about our fans, and that's why I will not do it. Some things are just better left to memory. I mean, if anyone saw him on Leno or in Las Vegas, I'm sorry, but the thrill is gone.

You don't know how much money was thrown at us to do a reunion tour with Roth; probably more than the Gross National Product of East and West Germany put together. I tell you, man, there's just not enough money in the world that is going to make me go back to dealing with certifiable lunatics. I'd have to go back to drinking to deal with it, and I refuse. I can't go back. After the standing ovation on MTV, Dave must have thought for sure he was in. No, Dave. What don't you get, the N or the O? Maybe five or 10 years down the road, there was a possibility of that, but not anymore. You showed your true colors again, and I'm glad you showed them quick.

RIGHT NOW: Gary Cherone

Ray Danniels had mentioned Gary, because Ray's partner managed Extreme. I'm not that familiar with Extreme's music, but regardless, with us Gary sounds completely different. It's the chemistry between people. If you're playing with so and so, you tend to play differently. Ray had mentioned him to us, and sent Gary a cassette tape of a simple pop tune, with me kind of singing a melody with some lyrics. Then Gary sang over it and sent it back. I called Ray, and I said, "This is really bad. I don't know, man." [laughs] Ray said, "Well look, I've already promised him a listen." I thought, what the fuck am I going to do with this guy for a whole week? And Ray says, "Look, if it doesn't work out by Wednesday, we'll just send him home."

Thank God he came out. When he walked in that door, after 10 minutes I said, "Do you feel like singing?" He says, "Yeah, I guess so, that's why I'm here." He just blew my mind. He's got elephant balls from heaven or hell, and he can sing like an angel -- just incredible, not a hint of LSD. We connected on a sort of soulful human level immediately. We just could tell the guy was real, no bullshit about him. He's a brother, man. He's a soulmate.

He's open to anything. I've been writing lyrics, and he would sing and go, "Hey, if I'm treading on your territory too much, say so." I'm like, "No, I'm loving it." Because he's never worked this way, he's always been the one to do it all. Now everything's a collaborative effort, which is so great. We have 20 plus tunes already for the record that'll come out in the spring. We're banging out three songs a day -- just like that.

As far as Extreme was concerned, it wasn't officially over. Gary had been sitting around waiting for a year, year and a half, till the guys settled everything. What I don't understand is why Nuno and Gary can remain friends even though a similar kind of thing went down, when Nuno was more of the one who wanted to do the solo thing. I mean, he's a great player and everything, but Gary was not the one looking around; it was like Gary was in the same position that I was in. But they're still friends, and Nuno was sincerely happy for Gary. Nuno ain't talking shit about Gary, Gary ain't talking shit about Nuno. I don't see why Roth and Sammy have to do that.

As for the fans, some fans never accepted Sammy! If they're not going to accept Gary, fine. Then listen to the Roth records, and if you like Sammy, buy those records. We're moving on. And the fans are not going to dictate who I work with. All I want to do is make music, and hopefully touch somebody with it. If you want the old, buy the old. You want the new, buy the new if you like it. Nobody's forcing you to do anything. But nobody's going to force me to do something I don't want to do, because then it wouldn't be honest to our fans. I have to make music from my heart with the people I enjoy doing it with. If we went on the road with Roth, it would be an embarrassment -- it would be ripping off our fans. If we started in Toledo, Ohio, we'd never make it to Cleveland. After the first gig, people would go, "I want my money back!" Some things are just better left to memory, period. And the memories are great. I mean, in a lot of people's minds, the memory of it is more vivid than the reality. It just ain't the

I'm not a doctor, but [Sam and Dave] both need help. I'm getting mine. I was in therapy for two years, and it's helped me immensely. Right now, I'm just grieving, because I really thought that Dave and I would be good friends. I was depressed for a fucking week, I just couldn't believe it. I kept going over and over in my mind, what did I do wrong? I used to cry -- I could now -- what did I do wrong to deserve this? I never lied to him, I gave him an opportunity. He even thanked me, the first time he ever did for as long as I've known him, for struggling as hard as I did to find a second song for him to do, and he said anyone else would have thrown up their arms and just said, "Forget it, one song's enough." And he actually thanked me. Blew my mind. But then to go from that to this . . . I don't know what happened. I really don't.

This is it, man, this is the last I'm going to say about it. This is my final word about both these self-centered . . . guys. I wish them well, I don't hate them. I wish we could remain friends, but they're the ones lying, and I can't be friends with a liar. That's it. Whatever they respond back to my truth, I'm not going to give them the time of day anymore. I'm done.

After the interview, we move into Ed's studio. His mood brightens almost magically as he starts to play music that he has been working on for the past few months, mostly rough drafts of songs that Gary Cherone has already put vocals to. The music is loud, and Eddie mimics the solos with his hands in the air, the trademark grin spreading over his face. Carpenters are running around the far end of the studio expanding the drum room, but they can barely be heard through the control room glass. Alex walks in to listen to the cuts Eddie is playing, making some playlist recommendations of his own. The new Van Halen album goes from a hard rock piece to a funk number to a tune that features Eddie playing Dobro.

In between, we talk about some of the unanswered questions and bits of myth that have floated like ether through Eddie's career. Yes, that was his music on the tape that Michael J. Fox used to scare the shit out of Crispin Glover in Back To The Future. ("Spielberg just asked me to give him some music on a tape, so I did. I don't even think I asked to get paid for it.") He recalls his solo music for another movie, The Wild Life, and terms it "an abortion," hoping that it never resurfaces in his lifetime.

Another song comes over the frighteningly loud studio speakers, this time only after much prompting and goading. Eddie warns that it is "eclectic," but it's more than that. Primarily a solo piano piece, it has a major twist: Ed is singing lead. ("I think I'm somewhere between Tom Waits and Roger Waters on this one," he laughs, but he's right.) Talking about other events in the history of Van Halen, Eddie claims that the band never saw a dime from the samples of "Jamie's Cryin'" that Tone Loc used for his rap hit "Wild Thing." ("There wasn't any law or rules about sampling back then.") He does like the new Nissan commercials that feature the VH version of "You Really Got Me." "They said they were going to give us one of the last 300ZX's for doing that. I think I'll probably just give it to my mom." Then he laughs, "But she doesn't drive."

The music gets louder and louder. He cranks up a passage that features a six-string bass solo -- which he is obviously proud of -- and says that the rest of the record was done with his new Wolfgang guitars. Meanwhile, his body sways to the thundering crunch of the speakers, his hand punctuating a particular drum roll or pointing out a guitar riff. It is a marked contrast from the man who seemed on the verge of choking up a few minutes before.

"In there," he says, pointing back towards the lounge, "is where everything is fucked. The media, the lies, the business. In here," he shouts, pointing to the mixing board which fills the room with his music, "is where everything is fun. This is what matters."

And suddenly, there is nothing left to be said.

[ November 13, 2002, 03:32 PM: Message edited by: thinlineokc ]

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

08.11.15 @ 12:51 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm slowly coming to the belief that Eddie is simply: a high school educated idiot. Albeit a musical genius, a social idiot. Actually, they all are. I'm so tired of this crap. I like how Ed talks about his age difference with Sam. "Maybe he wants to retire?" Say that now buddy.

Last Online

12.08.16 @ 03:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i tell ya what...i'd have rather had a "half-assed" reunion show than VH3...
    "is this a good show tonight, or fuckin' what?" - DLR, Montreal, 11/10/07

Toronto 10/7...Cleveland 10/10...Toronto 10/12...Montreal 11/10

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hit the ground runnin'
    Last Online

06.03.10 @ 11:18 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Ok, if Dave and Sam both suffer from L.S.D., what form of paranioa does Ed have? Talk about an ego. Whoa, look out!!! I think Ed was or still is having serious delusions of grandure.
    EAT US AND SMILE!!!!

"Please don't take my teddy bear... Please!!!" - diamondsgirl's Oscar nominated dramatic scene for best actress of 2007

"and by Van Halen, I mean David Lee Roth" - diamondsgirl on Van Halen

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In a Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

02.06.06 @ 08:02 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

dunno about the stuff about sammy is real
    but i agree with what he said about roth ..

hell i felt like decking him after seeing the mtv music awards .

Last Online

12.13.11 @ 02:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by Stiglar:

Nah, the stuff about Sammy is real. Either he's totally lying or not lying at all. I see no reason for him to lie.

I felt like decking Sammy at the VMA's for going out there with a shit attitude and trying to stick it to Roth. Well, he got what was coming to him. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Last Online

12.13.11 @ 02:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

[img]smile.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Sam was totally against the Greatest Hits, period. He didn't want a Roth CD and Sammy CD. He was afraid Roth's would outsell his, so we made it one CD, half and half. Then he wanted more songs with him singing, and said, "I want more of my songs." Hey! He sang on the songs, but the band wrote them -- they're not your songs. Sammy's the second wife who wanted to pretend like wife number one never existed, which I think was one major mistake on his part because he always refused to do any old Van Halen songs except a couple. It's like the second wife wanting no memory or saying, "Don't mention her name, I don't want to hear about her!" But that's denying six great records and a history. It just all added up to the guy was in his own little world, and he just wasn't a team player, so he quit. I said, "Sam, all we want is for you to be open. I mean, we're running out of people; Glenn ain't going to work with you anymore, the way you treated him. [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

10.28.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by Stiglar:

Spoken like a true Cheese head...

And I found it very interesting how Eddie was trying to get back with Roth so many times, and Ihow he said that he actually cried. Assuming this interview is accurate in what was said, then it just goes to show that Ed did want Dave in the band and no one else. as for Gary, well Gary was the rebound. We all know what it is, and none of us want to be the rebound, but that is exactly what Gary was... Of course, this interview does shed a lot of light on some of the antics of both Dave and Sam this past summer. Sam coming out as Mr. Friendly with everyone he possibly can, and Dave keeping his big mouth shut [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img]

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

04.28.16 @ 08:41 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

I really don't know who to side with when it comes to Van Halen, because nobody really knows what goes on. You've got Sammy & Dave saying they got fired and then you got Eddie saying they left. If I had to side with anyone I'd side with Eddie Van Halen because its his band and he's been getting pushed aside by David Lee Roth and Sammy Hagar. I don't know Van Halen is Van Halen maybe one day we will know the truth behind the bands curse of not keeping lead singers.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

everybody wants some
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

in these acrimonous battles everyone has their perspective, their individual way of seeing things...dave does seem like the kind of guy who maybe gets a little carried away, kind of like falling dominoes, once the train gets a rollin'...
    ...what do you do when the bureaucracy that's supposed to help you...WANTS YOU DEAD? <a href="http://www.callumhouston.com" target="_blank">www.callumhouston.com</a>

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

In my mind's eye, I can picture Sam and Dave like two girls blindly infatuated with their one-time boyfriend and having a knock-down, kick-butt, rip-your-hair-out fight believing that at the end of the mayhem, the baddest chick will walk away with the spoils -- in this case, Ed. But what the 'girls' don't understand is that the ex-boyfriend has moved on from both of them and is looking completely in another direction, with no intention of leaving with either one of them. Probably no one in this dysfuntional, much-loved band, can trust one another any more - and that's sad because I would have hoped that they could bury their past differences and insults and have good memories of the great past they all shared. But maybe even that is destroyed.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by thinlineokc:
    by HP Newquist

But that's denying six great records
    So does this mean Ed finally accepted Diver Down?

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie\'s cryin\', Dreams, Right now
    Last Online

02.27.07 @ 04:58 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You all know one thing my friends, and no matter how much Dave and Samuel are bad mouthed by Ed, at least they are the ones out there playing!!!

And can anyone tell me what happened to Gary "no hint of LSD, like a brother" Cherone?? Dont get me wrong I love Ed and I love VH, have done for 20 years, but can Sam, Dave AND Gary all be wrong??

Massachusetts by way of the Great State of New Jersey
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Changes with the day
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 07:38 PM
    Liked 546 Times in 327 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I'd love to hear Glen Ballard's take on the Sammy thing. Ed said Glen wouldn't work with Sam. Love to know if that's true, it would substantiate an awful lot.

I would tend to believe Ed. I don't know why, but I do. I see Sam as an immature guy who likes to spin everything his way, and can't quite find the truth at times. Kind of a "from a certain perspective" type of truth, as opposed to outright lying. Fun guy, but not necessarily a guy you want to do serious business with as a pure partner.

I can't figure out Dave at all. He's just Dave. But I sure wouldn't want to have to count on him.

Look, you or I or someone else may have no issues working with a Dave or a Sam. But, IMO, it all comes down to Ed's insecurity. He needs to be able to trust the guy(s) he works with, to an extent that may be unrealistic. I don't think it's ego, or delusions of grandeur (spell?), I think it is classic insecure behavior. And, if you haven't been there, you can't understand it. I have, and I can.

And, as far as Gary, he's said recently that it was his call to leave the band, he didn't like the direction the music was going, and that he'd work with Ed again.

But, it's all just my guess.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, and 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Outta love again, Humans Being
    Last Online

12.14.12 @ 08:13 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Why does Ed always threaten to kick someone in the balls (they better be wearing a cup) What the hell's up with that?

Plus, I wonder how long he'll stick with,"I'm never going to do a nostalgia tour, and rip off the fans" ?

Maybe ed does care about his fans....but we'll never know. Usually when artists' care about thier fans, they acknowledge them....lets see maybe once every 4 years.
    If you shake my hand better count your fingers - Mustaine