Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.07.17 @ 12:54 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default Colorado Springs student uses black-face to be MLK for class project

then all hell breaks out..

COLORADO SPRINGS - A second grader got in trouble this week for dressing up as Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and wearing black-face make-up for a class project. <news report video>

Eight-year-old Sean King says he meant no harm by wearing the make-up, but that didn't stop his principal from calling him into his office. Sean attends Falcon School District 49 in Colorado Springs.

The principal says several teachers and students were offended by the make-up.

The NAACP says the principal did the right thing.

The organization says it's proud of Sean for portraying Dr. King, but says he shouldn't have worn the black make-up.

Sean's mother says she's so upset she might pull her son out of the school.

"I worked very hard, I tried my best. I don't want to be mean to them. It's just a costume. I don't want to insult anybody," Sean said.

Black-face make-up was used by performers in the 1800s to portray racist stereotypes.

No guidelines were ever given for what a student could wear for their project.

------------------------------------------

NAACP Responds To D-49 MLK Costume Controversy Student Told To Take Off Black Face Make Up

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. -- It's a story that's gotten national attention and sparked outrage: A Falcon School District 49 second-grader dressed as Martin Luther King Jr. for a project and had to go to the principals' office to talk about the black face paint he was wearing.

While many feel school authorities should never have told Sean King, 8, to take off his makeup because he was offending students and faculty, the president of the Colorado Springs branch of the National Association for the Advancement of Colorado People said Meridian Ranch Elementary did the right thing.

"When I saw the story about the young scholar who decided he would portray Martin Luther King for a class project, I was so proud of him," said NAACP president Rosemary Harris Lytle. "Unfortunately, by having blackface as part of his presentation, it ended up harkening back to a really tragic time in the life of this country, a time when blackface was used by entertainers primarily to demean African-Americans, and in a way I know this young man couldn't have intended to do."

Blackface make-up became popular during the 19th century in minstrel shows and later in vaudeville. Performers used it in routines to portray racist stereotypes of African-Americans. Its acceptance in America ended in the 1960s during the civil rights movement.

Lytle said she hopes Meridian Ranch uses what happened as teachable moment.

"To go back to the history of minstrels and of blackface and of the sad time when people who were geniuses were portrayed as nothing more than figures of comedy," said Lytle.

She said the class project could result in students learning more than they ever thought they would.

Sean King's parents said they are so upset by what happened, they're considering pulling him out of the school.

Sean told KRDO Newschannel 13 that he never meant to offend anyone with his costume.

“They thought it was inappropriate and it will be disrespectful to black people, and I say it’s not. I like black people. It’s just a costume, and I don’t want to insult anybody,” said Sean.

Sean's mom, Michelle King-Roca, said her son was so excited for the project.

“He said, 'Mom, I want to wear a black suit because that’s what he wore, a black tie, a white shirt, and also I want to do my face black and wear a mustache,” said King-Roca.

D-49 spokesperson Stephanie Meredith said there were no guidelines given for the class project, but that wearing face paint falls under the school’s policy that anything deemed offensive or disruptive is not allowed. She said the principal was accommodating to Sean's parents' concerns.

“When other students are offended by something, it is the principal’s role that the educational environment is safe for all students,” said Meredith.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.Ē -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

=VH= II
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 02:14 PM
    Liked 780 Times in 375 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by voivod View Post

The NAACP says the principal did the right thing.
    We can be nearly certain then that the principal actually did the wrong thing.

Dumb kid. Shoulda honored whitey. He'll know better next time though, huh.
    _-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 09:09 AM
    Liked 1,342 Times in 920 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by voivod View Post
    "When I saw the story about the young scholar who decided he would portray Martin Luther King for a class project, I was so proud of him," said NAACP president Rosemary Harris Lytle. "Unfortunately, by having blackface as part of his presentation, it ended up harkening back to a really tragic time in the life of this country, a time when blackface was used by entertainers primarily to demean African-Americans, and in a way I know this young man couldn't have intended to do."
    but yet it's okay for "black" men and women to continually bandy about a word that harkens back to days of slavery, whippings and lynchings in their popular music. OK. Got ya.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, DDL, Dirty Movies
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 07:24 AM
    Liked 1,606 Times in 743 Posts

Premium Member

Maybe they should get all the kids together and watch this.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0381707/
    If you have nothing nice to say about Eddie Van Halen, you're at the right website. - Me (A few years ago)

"People take Van Halen much more seriously than we do" - David Lee Roth (1980's)

"I don't sit on the end of your bed while you're trying to make a living" - David Lee Roth (1988)

"For some reason people love to complain about everything. The internet has made it easy for people to do that. Shut the fuck up and get a life, or show me how good you can do it."- Edward Van Halen

"A lot of people ask me which Van Halen singer was better. You can't compare them. It's like asking which guitarist is better. Nobody is better than anybody. Every player is their own person."-Edward Van Halen

"I do like Eddie Van Halen as a player. He gets it right quite often." -Paul McCartney