Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register

View Poll Results: Does your EVH (Fender) Wolfgang have a "leaf spring" under the low E

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • EVH Wolfgang USA has a low E leaf spring

5 23.81%
  • EVH Wolfgang USA is missing a low E leaf spring

7 33.33%
  • EVH Wolfgang Special has a low E leaf spring

1 4.76%
  • EVH Wolfgang Special is missing a low E leaf spring

8 38.10%
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 11:05 AM
    Liked 38 Times in 14 Posts

Default D-tuna issue on EVH (fender) wolfgang

I have recently purchased an EVH Wolfgang USA (Tobacco Sunburst Quilt) and I have been having problems with the D-tuna and floyd rose bridge.

The D-tuna is very loose. So much so that when I use the whammy bar, the D-tuna often pops out by itself. (I have an older Peavey wolfgang that has a D-tuna as well and never have had the looseness problem or tuning problem).

I took a closer look at the bridge and I noticed that under the low "E" string, there is no leaf spring under it like the other strings. My other guitar (Peavey) does in fact have the leaf spring under the low E string. I have gone back and forth with Fender customer service and I have gotten some people say there should be a leaf spring under the low E and others says on the EVH it's not supposed to be there.

If anyone out there has an EVH Wolfgang (not Peavey)... could you take a look under the bridge beneath the low E and see if there is a leaf spring like the rest of the strings.

I have included a picture of my bridge so you can see what I am describing.

Last Online

12.11.17 @ 07:30 AM
    Liked 124 Times in 84 Posts

Looks to me like the spring actually broke off somehow. You can kinda see the edge of it there, unless it's my imagination.

I'd definitely have that looked at.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:00 PM
    Liked 11,545 Times in 4,919 Posts

I think something is wrong there, you need that spring to hold it in.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Eruption
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:20 PM
    Liked 701 Times in 247 Posts

I think it's intentional. It's missing from my special as well. I wondered the same thing when I got it.

I remember asking jimi if his was missing and it was hacked off too.
    Last edited by LAD-1972; 05.17.12 at 09:02 PM.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Should be there, and it's not. EVH/Fender owes you a part.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies
    Last Online

Fender is *very* confused on this. Their customer service reps depending on who you talk to give you different answers. Does anyone have an EVH that has the low E leaf spring?

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If they did in fact leave the leaf spring off on purpose, that's just dumb. The mechanics of the way the floyd works needs that extra leaf spring up-force to keep the the saddle lock screws up tight against the fine tuners. Other wise they can vibrate against the fine tuners, flop around, etc., which has a negative impact on sustain, and causes weird noises especially through a hi gain amp. String tension alone doesn't really cut it to hold those lock screws up -- and having the sliding Dtuna on there just makes the problem worse. You should be able to either have Fender send you a regular floyd "leaf spring plate" or whatever it's called, or you could order one. They are probably the cheapest part on the floyd.

Eruption
    Last Online

06.30.17 @ 01:26 AM
    Liked 131 Times in 74 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Imthe1 View Post
    Fender is *very* confused on this. Their customer service reps depending on who you talk to give you different answers. Does anyone have an EVH that has the low E leaf spring?
    this is weird. i have 3 usa EVH's. a wht, burst, and stealth. the wht and burst have it, the stealth does not??? i am making a call tomorrow.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:00 PM
    Liked 11,545 Times in 4,919 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrjstudios View Post
    If they did in fact leave the leaf spring off on purpose, that's just dumb. The mechanics of the way the floyd works needs that extra leaf spring up-force to keep the the saddle lock screws up tight against the fine tuners. Other wise they can vibrate against the fine tuners, flop around, etc., which has a negative impact on sustain, and causes weird noises especially through a hi gain amp. String tension alone doesn't really cut it to hold those lock screws up -- and having the sliding Dtuna on there just makes the problem worse. You should be able to either have Fender send you a regular floyd "leaf spring plate" or whatever it's called, or you could order one. They are probably the cheapest part on the floyd.
    Exactly. Makes no sense.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

It's an important part of the Floyd design and SHOULD be there. Fender need to address this issue and get it sorted. If a customer choses to remove it then fine, but they should ship with the tremolo in complete, full working order.
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

We had a thread going a while back about the Floyd Rose's "fine tuner tension plate" when a member broke one of those "leafs" off: http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/showthread.php?t=54143.

Here's what I discovered very recently on my Peavey Wolfgangs: The fine tuner tension plate is the reason the D-Tuna will sometimes knock the other strings out of tune. On a few of my Wolfgangs... no problems. When shifting from 'E' or 'D' mode the other strings maintain their pitch either perfectly or extremely closely. On several, though, if the Wolfgang is tuned perfectly in 'E' mode and the D-Tuna is shifted to 'D' it will bump the other strings sharp. (And the opposite occurs if tuned perfectly starting in 'D' mode.) I've had a couple that would go significantly sharp--to the point the D-Tuna was useless unless the guitar was tuned again after a shift. For literally years I tried to find the cause, assuming the bridge was moving a tiny bit based on each guitar's specific pivot bolt routes (or something unique to each guitar). Fast forward to last month. I changed strings on my green flame top Wolfgang Special, and while doing so I opted to replace the sustain block with an over-sized block. This required a complete disassembling of the Floyd. My green Wolf was always the greatest offender. The D-Tuna was basically useless in a live setting; when it was engaged all the other strings would go extremely sharp. Upon disassembly I discovered a seriously mangled fine tuner tension plate. No amount of manipulation could flatten it out. It wanted to be "curled up." Right away that said to me that changing tension on one of the leafs a large amount (in the way the D-Tuna does) would affect the tension the other leafs put on their respective string fine tuners and overall on the Floyd itself. So I swapped that tension plate with one from a GFS Floyd Rose (identical in design to the Peavey Floyd). Guess what? No more extreme pitch shifts on that guitar when using the D-Tuna. I'm now planning to order several new tension plates to replace those that are even slightly deformed on any of my Floyd Rose equipped guitars.

My reason for the long rant? It's possible EVH/Fender have figured this same thing out and have decided actual removal of the low-E "leaf" is the way to prevent D-Tuna use from bumping the other strings out of tune. It seems to me that demanding better quality control on the fine tuner tension plates would be the better way to solve the problem, since the absence of a leaf under the D-Tuna makes for the kind of looseness described earlier in this thread. But of course I am speculating here.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies
    Last Online

So I have had my guitar at an authorized service center now for 1.5 months because the bridges are on back order (they don't stock these leafs springs or for that matter any floyd parts for service, just the entire bridge unit and only for new production guitars). It appears that mine is not an aberration and the builds of these bridges are not consistent. It's a shame too... I really like the guitar, but it has been in the shop longer than I have had it in my possession. I am going to take a poll and give the feedback to customer service.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

04.16.13 @ 03:54 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My EVH USA Wolfgang (bought new) did not have the leaf under the low E either. The d tuna does not disengage when I take the bar all the way down. Thougt this was a broken leaf at first, but not having the leaf there makes it really easy to shift the d tuna. I've installed 5 d tunas on other guitars that have the leaf and actually prefer it without the leaf, as not having the leaf makes the d tuna easier to use. I'm guessing it was intentionally removed during final construction.

Favorite VH Album

=VH= II
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:39 PM
    Liked 786 Times in 377 Posts

Premium Member

D-Tuna's suck.

I hated that pos on my Wolfagang. Was a D-Outta-Tuna pos.
    _-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

Last Online

12.11.17 @ 07:30 AM
    Liked 124 Times in 84 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wruff_ajax View Post
    D-Tuna's suck.

I hated that pos on my Wolfagang. Was a D-Outta-Tuna pos.
    Odd... I've never had a problem with either of mine. I have noticed, though, that most people seem to not actually know how to set them up correctly as I've found a lot of used Wolfgangs with the dTuna just pulled out.