Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

Default Any New Member Guitar Builds On The Horizon?

Hey all. Was just combing through some threads, and I saw Brett referenced a thread he did for his Rasta guitar build. (Great job by the way man!)
    So was wondering if anyone has any builds they are either just in the process of planning, or are actually starting.
    I'm looking at building an electric 12 string, simply because I just can't seem to find any in stores these days. (at least that actually catch my eye.)
    I'm thinking of doing one like the one Ed used on Cabo. Looks pretty cool. Sleeper wanted to build one, but if I remember right, he wanted to build it with that specific kind of neck. Kinda like the Fender Villager.
    I don't really care about the headstock, but I just kinda dig that whole Tele thing being a twelve.
    How bout you guys? Anything in the works?
    J

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Any one of them will do...
    Last Online

08.16.13 @ 10:05 AM
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

I found and had a look through Brett's Rasta build not too long ago, and I gotta agree, great job!

A 12-string Tele would be pretty cool. Quite an intriguing build idea actually.

In my immediate future I have another Franky build, an overhauling of an Ibanez electric, a complete build of a dual humbucker Pacer style electric and a learning experience (for me) on resetting the neck on an old 50's Silvertone archtop acoustic.

What I really want to do right now though is build a 100 watt Plexi clone. I've been really getting into amps recently and I think it would be a nice challenge and quite rewarding to build an amp. We'll see if that pans out though.

Someday, (if I ever get the time and money) I want to build from scratch a Les Paul or something with a set neck at least. Maybe an Explorer as they've been catching my eye recently.
    Atomic Punk Guitars
    http://www.facebook.com/AtomicPunkGuitars

"Life is like music; sometimes it's the silence in between the notes that is most important..."

"I'd rather be a failure with my own music, than a success off of someone else's music..." - Edward Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 02:18 PM
    Liked 461 Times in 200 Posts

my Rasta should be arriving on monday and I will post pics as soon as I can.

as far as new builds... yup... going to be starting an EVH Charvel Star 1980 era replica within the next month or so.

cool on the 12 string.

Rob

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 01:49 AM
    Liked 11,581 Times in 4,936 Posts

Hey thanks guys!

I've actually wanted to build something with two humbuckers and put the two new Wolfgang pickups in it. I'll probably get a body and neck from Mitch at KNE since I love the Rasta and the neck he did for me that I have on there, and I have the identical neck on my Warmoth and I love that too.

I was thinking of doing another VH Rasta thing just with two hums, or paint something in USC colors (since I went there) and use some gold hardware (I've never had gold hardware on anything before). But definitely in the next few months I'm going to do something.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

I've got a Alder Strat body that I've just stripped thats going to have an old Kramer neck attached. I'm going a little 80's with it and have a Leopard print pickguard, the rest of it is going to be matt black.

Parts list so far:

Alder Strat Body
    Kramer neck from a Baretta (roughly an '87)
    GFS Floyd with big brass block
    D-Tuna
    Gibson 3-way toggle
    Kill switch
    PRS Tremonti pickups (likely to change though)

I'm just so busy right now I've not had time to throw it together yet but I have mocked the body up...I'll post some pics when I get home as I don't have them on my PC at work.
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Pic as promised...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	420682_10150740072078792_623858791_11489546_811928792_n.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	1703  
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Favorite VH Album

All of them!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/5150
    Last Online

02.17.16 @ 11:29 AM
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

All very cool stuff guys!

I've always been partial to the Steinberger M series guitars. I was in a band back in the day and we actually rented our equipment (VERY bad idea!). Well, I used to rent a GM4T and I absolutely loved it. I've wanted to buy one again ever since but have never had the available cash to buy one. And, they're not all that easy to get these days. So, I've been kicking around the idea of finding headless parts and building one the way I'd like to have it. Not sure the misses would be too thrilled, but it's something that I think would be a blast to do.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

I used to have a GL Steiny and loved it. Had just monster tone. Wish I never parted with it. I've seen a bunch of bits and pieces on line to theoretically build one, but the stumbling block for me is the price of the Trans Trem bridges alone. Even the Gibson era cast ones are going for a lot of dough, so unless I find a real good price....Ain't gonna happen.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained & Romeo Delight
    Last Online

04.07.16 @ 01:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a Kramer replica built, however, I want to strip it apart and make it into a Hot For Teacher replica. I know some of you remember me starting this the other year. I moved from Pennsylvania to Illinois, so this project went by the side. Well, I really wanna knock it out now. I'm also thinking of trying to build a Cigar Box guitar. Anyone ever tried making one?
    Eddie must think I'm a BOZO to want to drop THAT much on one of his new Charvel Guitars!

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 06:14 AM
    Liked 238 Times in 60 Posts

I have a Franky for a customer planned. We're going with the classic look, but I may swap out my neck for this build and put a banana or beak on it!
    Should be starting the build in the next couple days or so. Then I have a Malmsteen Duck I've been planning for about a year now that should be starting soon, just need the cash, haha

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

01.16.16 @ 03:26 PM
    Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts

I just finished a Wolfgang striped up like the Franky... Like the one EVH used on Two and a Half Men. (My profile pic.) I'll try to post better pics in the coming week. I'm out of town until Thursday. I love it!

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

just got the body for another Hot For Teacher Kramer. Miss my old one. This is one I will be knocking out this summer too. Here is my old one.... if this one comes even close to the old one I will be more than happy,

Rob

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained & Romeo Delight
    Last Online

04.07.16 @ 01:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 5150rob View Post
    just got the body for another Hot For Teacher Kramer. Miss my old one. This is one I will be knocking out this summer too. Here is my old one.... if this one comes even close to the old one I will be more than happy,

Rob

Whoa, Rob!
    Sweet build. Good luck with yours. Like I've said, i just need a spot to start work...apartments suck.
    Eddie must think I'm a BOZO to want to drop THAT much on one of his new Charvel Guitars!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Cabo Wabo/Poundcake/dropdead
    Last Online

03.24.17 @ 08:25 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

My 4 boys and I are building the big 4 VH guitars this summer. Each boy picked the one they wanted to build/help with and it's our summer project(s).

Kain, who's 5, is currently "helping" me with the VH1 guitar. It's been an experience. "Hurry Up Dad!" is one of his new catch phrases. We're almost done, so we'll see if he'll stick to playing.

Cash is going to build the Bumblebee. Zakk wants the Frankenstrat, Alek wants the 5150 Kramer...and a Frankenstrat bass. Between travelling basketball, baseball, and sniffing paint fumes, it's gonna be a long/fun summer.
    Scott Eivins
    A&Z Guitar Repair

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

thats fantastic...... I should ask my Son and Daughter to see if they wanted to do a project like that with me instead of me hibernating by myself every time I do an EVH replica build..... great idea....

sounds like you got tons of time on your hands over the summer to knock out 4 projects too.... good for you... enjoy every second out of it bro.

Rob