Favorite VH Album

VH, 5150, OU812, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/When It's Love
    Last Online

09.05.13 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Guitar World VH 40th Anniversary Edition

Wow! Some revealing stuff in the old interviews with Ed. In the interview for Fair Warning, Ed really slams Mikey. He says that Mikey didn't pull his weight; that he contributed nothing to the band; and that he had remodeled his house and bought a new Porsche on the rest of the band's accomplishments.

In another interview Ed says that Mikey is never going to win any awards for his bass playing.

First, I do not agree with Ed's comments. If Mikey did not contribute anything musically to the band it is because Ed would not let him. Second, Mikey's background vocals, amiable attitude, and wild man antics on stage helped to shape VH's stamp.

I love and miss Mikey, but I never see him returning. Wolf is the man now. While he will never quite hit those harmonies like Mikey, he is certainly a better bass player. Hey, he came from the loins of god. Just saying...

Favorite VH Album

VH, 5150, OU812, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/When It's Love
    Last Online

09.05.13 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Also, in an interview after Sam's departure, Ed says that they had trouble recording every album but 5150. I figure Ed was just throwing a parting shot here.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by clrw5150 View Post
    Wow! Some revealing stuff in the old interviews with Ed. In the interview for Fair Warning, Ed really slams Mikey. He says that Mikey didn't pull his weight; that he contributed nothing to the band; and that he had remodeled his house and bought a new Porsche on the rest of the band's accomplishments.

In another interview Ed says that Mikey is never going to win any awards for his bass playing.

First, I do not agree with Ed's comments. If Mikey did not contribute anything musically to the band it is because Ed would not let him. Second, Mikey's background vocals, amiable attitude, and wild man antics on stage helped to shape VH's stamp.

I love and miss Mikey, but I never see him returning. Wolf is the man now. While he will never quite hit those harmonies like Mikey, he is certainly a better bass player. Hey, he came from the loins of god. Just saying...
    I think it was just more of a case of bitterness during that point. He was pretty angry about stuff during FW for numerous reasons. I'm not making excuses, but I recall him in an interview around that time where he actually said "Al and him were Van Halen and Mike and Dave can believe whatever they want about their role in the band." It actually sounds very similar to his attitude toward Mike with the whole Sammy/Other Half thing. Just sniping at him in general because of some non related personal issues. I think proof of this is years later in 86, he reflected fondly about when Mike joined recalling him playing in his band Snake and saying to Al "That's who we need for a bass player!" So they had obviously worked stuff out by the time Dave left.

It's just Ed. A lot of it most likely comes from his insecurity issues which he openly has admitted, and it's more of a defensive thing. I've know people like that who snub people who've they've previously been close to and completely cut them out and talk shit behind their back because of them merely being friends with someone they didn't get along with.
    Kinda like a marriage that goes bad and the mutual friends take sides. It sucks but it's life.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:39 PM
    Liked 1,387 Times in 761 Posts

Are you trying to start something here?

I think you forgot to quote when Ed called Dave a VW and compared Sam to a Ferrari. Or when Dave called Ed "Eddie Van Heineken."

And Guitar World cannot be 40 since the first issue was in 1981. Thanks.
    Little Dreamer

Favorite VH Album

all the above
    Favorite VH Song

top jimmy
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 10:58 AM
    Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by we die young View Post
    I think it was just more of a case of bitterness during that point. He was pretty angry about stuff during FW for numerous reasons. I'm not making excuses, but I recall him in an interview around that time where he actually said "Al and him were Van Halen and Mike and Dave can believe whatever they want about their role in the band." It actually sounds very similar to his attitude toward Mike with the whole Sammy/Other Half thing. Just sniping at him in general because of some non related personal issues. I think proof of this is years later in 86, he reflected fondly about when Mike joined recalling him playing in his band Snake and saying to Al "That's who we need for a bass player!" So they had obviously worked stuff out by the time Dave left.

It's just Ed. A lot of it most likely comes from his insecurity issues which he openly has admitted, and it's more of a defensive thing. I've know people like that who snub people who've they've previously been close to and completely cut them out and talk shit behind their back because of them merely being friends with someone they didn't get along with.
    Kinda like a marriage that goes bad and the mutual friends take sides. It sucks but it's life.
    21 years old and dad has thrown him the keys to the car!!

Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Favorite VH Song

Can't Get This Stuff No More
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 06:43 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

what a waste of my money.

Only longtime fans will want this, and it's them that don't need it..

I paid $11.00 for ONE NEW INTERVIEW.

Don't spend your dough.

Favorite VH Album

all 7
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL & The Full Bug
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:09 PM
    Liked 1,978 Times in 892 Posts

Up here in Canada it cost 16.99 plus tax.its the most I've ever paid for a magazine.but had to have it....in hindsite...I should have found a shoplifting booster punk to swipe 2 copies for me.then it would be cheaper...sometimes these van halen prices make me feel like a sucker...oh well....too bad there's not much new interview coverage in the magazines these days..it used to be cream,circus and hit paraded had tons of pictures and articles.but now none.I'm surprised dlr hasn't done much press for the new album and tour...oh well...better off with the internet anyways...and vh should have tour programs...I wonder why not..and why don't they use Neil zlozower anymore.
    Last edited by Heisenberg; 05.17.12 at 02:40 PM. Reason: spelling mistake

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First, VHII
    Favorite VH Song

Top J/Doctor/HoP/Fools
    Last Online

05.24.16 @ 03:24 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

I'm sure if Michael Anthony tried to contribute something, he wouldn't have allowed it anyways. His backing vocals were a HUGE part of their sound, and I'm sure Edward didn't write every single bass line and passage for him. His job was to be basic rhythm support so Edward could fly off and do what he wanted, and he did it just fine. Edward was angry and bitter at that point, and I remember an interview with Valerie around that era saying Edward would literally cry and whine to her about being unhappy with the band and Dave.