Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Existentially Uncertain Fontcow's Avatar
    Last Online

03.13.17 @ 07:58 PM
    Liked 868 Times in 463 Posts

Default 05.13.12: Van Halen @ MTS Centre - Winnipeg, MB - DISCUSSION/REVIEWS, etc.

Here's the live update and discussion thread for the Winnipeg show. This will also serve as the thread for reviews, videos, pics, etc., as well.

If you are going to the show and want to update everyone what's going on, etc., this is the thread for doing so.

MTS Centre
    Winnipeg, MB

1. Unchained
    2. Runnin’ With The Devil
    3. She’s The Woman
    4. The Full Bug
    5. Tattoo
    6. Everybody Wants Some!!
    7. Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    8. China Town
    9. Hear About It Later
    10. (Oh) Pretty Woman
    11. Drum Solo
    12. You Really Got Me
    13. The Trouble With Never
    14. Dance The Night Away
    15. I’ll Wait
    16. Hot For Teacher
    17. Women In Love
    18. Outta Love Again
    19. Beautiful Girls
    20. Ice Cream Man
    21. Panama
    22. Guitar Solo
    23. Ain’t Talkin’ ‘Bout Love
    24. Jump
    Last edited by Fontcow; 05.13.12 at 10:09 PM.

Favorite VH Album

1984, VH1, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL, China Town
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:59 PM
    Liked 151 Times in 86 Posts

Let's go Winnipeg, you're up!! Go Jets Go!!
    "People ask me how far I've come. And I tell them twelve feet: from the audience to the stage." - David Lee Roth

Favorite VH Album

1984, VH1, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL, China Town
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:59 PM
    Liked 151 Times in 86 Posts

I know the 'Peg is a party town....lets see some reviews!!!
    "People ask me how far I've come. And I tell them twelve feet: from the audience to the stage." - David Lee Roth

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

05.14.12 @ 07:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just got back from the show....Fantastic!!
    Same set list as Edmonton except The Full Bug was inserted instead of Romeo Delight....
    Crowd was about 85% capacity and in the mood...which made up for those who missed out.
    The band was in great form.......
    Alex: SOLID as usual!
    Wolfgang: Impressive and wonderful back up vocals..
    Dave: Sounded great live.....Youtube does not do him justice....Live is where you will truly appreciate Dave....
    And....
    Ed: Ed was so good.....I've seen Ed live in 84', 91', 04' (yikes).....but tonight was just so great.....Ed was so spot on....

Ed and Dave had a few interactive moments that made me realize these guys have some real harmony now.....and the end of show embrace and smiles nailed it for me.....

Just a wonderful evening of music!!
    Cheers!
    And for those of you with shows coming up......you guys are so in store for something memorable!!
    As a long time fan....All I can say is the boys are delivering!!

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:51 PM
    Liked 127 Times in 74 Posts

Read this, was this right??

Some chick snuck up on stage and the security was freaking out...
    ITS 5150 TIME

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

05.14.12 @ 07:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PT 5150 View Post
    Read this, was this right??

Some chick snuck up on stage and the security was freaking out...
    Not at all....it happened so fast. She went straight to Dave and Dave gave her a kiss on the cheek...security didn't man handle her...they led her out for sure thou...

side note: Dave sang China Town with more lower register vocals in certain parts and I thought it came off great....DTNA sounded pretty good in the higher register also....
    The tracks I was least interested in (I'll Wait and Pretty Woman) sounded really good...I'll Wait was heavier sounding than expected and the solo sounded so good....
    Cheers

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

VHII
    Favorite VH Song

Top Jimmy
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 08:12 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts

Loud!!! Ears were still ringing this AM. We were on the floor square in front of Eddie in 9th row. Great show - great energy. Eddie was faaaaaantastic and looked joyfully happy all night. That was why I wanted to learn guitar when I was a young lad! He also makes everything look effortless. Great harmonies between Wolf/Ed and Dave at times.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Can't Stop Loving You
    Last Online

05.14.12 @ 07:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dave: Sounded great live.....Youtube does not do him justice....Live is where you will truly appreciate Dave....

This is so true, he sounded fantastic, It was a very very impresive show.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

The entire 1984 catalog
    Last Online

08.20.13 @ 02:53 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

I loved the show. Music was killer. Dave was awesome, and as usual was straying from the melody. I really don't understand why he tries to sing a melody so high like that. Just sing the original melody.

Eddie's solo was frickin flawless with the exception of Cathedral. Instead of being sixteenth note driven it really started to swing. I was disappointed about that.

Show was great. Worth every penny.
    Visit Van Halen - A Different Kind of Timeline. Your Van Halen "coffee table e-book". Music videos, full concerts, documentaries, photos, album releases and more. Scroll through reverse-chronological history of the greatest all-around rock band of all time.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:27 PM
    Liked 18,115 Times in 8,948 Posts

Just as an aside. I sing in a crap cover band, and I had viral bronchitis this spring. I am naturally a baritone, like DLR, and I couldn't sing in my normal voice, I had to try and sing out of register to even get anything out, and it sounded horrible (more horrible than usual).

It was mentioned on here a couple times in various threads that DLR was sick. It might be part of the problem. The fact that he has been smoking for forty years probably doesn't help either, but I thought I would put it in here.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Changes On A Daily Basis
    Favorite VH Song

Ditto
    Last Online

07.10.17 @ 08:25 AM
    Liked 131 Times in 74 Posts

I noticed on a couple of occasions Friday night in Edmonton Dave by AVH's kit blowing his nose.

As well, on several occasions throughout the evening i noticed he was sucking on lemons. Eddie did it once or twice as well (a refreshing change from rubbing them in his eyes )
    The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
    -H.S.T

This next part could really confuse things. Let's stay focused. #asis

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little guitars
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 10:01 PM
    Liked 1,151 Times in 516 Posts

Any pics ?

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

The entire 1984 catalog
    Last Online

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Van Halen bring a different kind of show to Winnipeg

http://www.examiner.com/article/van-...ow-to-winnipeg

Van Halen hit Winnipeg last night (5/13/12) with the semi-reunited original line-up (less original bassist Michael Anthony), featuring David Lee Roth back at frontman duties.

Excitement ran high as drummer Alex Van Halen took the stage and began a thunderous percussive fanfare as brother Eddie Van Halen proceeded to blow the doors off the MTS Centre with his “Unchained” guitar solo from VH’s 1981 Fair Warning album, signalling his return to form after surgery and rehab stints.

Eddie’s son Wolfgang Van Halen played the trademark opening bass notes with which the band segued into “Running with the Devil, a classic track from their 1978 self-titled debut album.

As the fans roared their approval following the opening numbers, Roth, looking like a cross between Liberace and Steve Tyler, sporting a white silk scarf, sequined matador-style waistcoat, leather pants, and electric blue shirt, smugly enquired, “How we doing so far?”
    Advertisement

Proving that his wit is still sharp as ever, Diamond Dave dressed down a fan for throwing a beer cup onstage, saying, “Don't throw your garbage up onstage; throw your girlfriend, a**hole.”

Though not delivering as many high kicks and leg splits as in the old days, the veteran performer still brought plenty of energy to the show – his new style seemingly owing more to vaudeville more than to the “School of Rock.”

Leaps from the drum riser have been replaced by mike stand twirling, and sliding footwork with the occasional swinging roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure.

The few kicks the flamboyant singer did throw were caught and replayed in slow motion on the giant video screen, which covered the length of the stage – one of the band’s surprisingly few nods to high tech production as they chose to forego pyro, risers, ramps, and hydraulic lifts, and put the emphasis on the music instead (justifiably so).

Vocally, Roth’s pipes were still relatively strong, but his tendency to scats and adlib melodies ran the gamut from being annoying (scats singing over Eddie’s solos) to downright embarrassingly bad (You Really Got Me).

Fortunately, inevitable comparisons to former VH frontman Sammy Hagar were sidestepped by completely avoiding the entire Hagar-era song catalogue.

The setlist covered the Roth era rom 1978 to 1984, as well as including a handful of cuts from their latest album A Different Kind of Truth.

No evidence of past friction between Roth and the Van Halens seemed evident as Dave and Eddie appeared to truly enjoy playing together, and Eddie clearly loved working with his son Wolfgang, who did a surprisingly serviceable job both on bass and backing vocals.

With the show clocking in at 2 hours, VH delivered plenty of bang for the buck, though some might quibble about trading off deep album cuts like “Woman in Love” or newer “Truth” tracks for classics such as “Jamie’s Crying, “And the Cradle Will Rock” or “Atomic Punk.”

Early highlights included “Everybody Wants Some,” “Somebody Get Me a Doctor,” and the blistering “China Town” – a decent full-tilt rocker from the new album.

After losing momentum mid-set with a phoned-in version of Roy Orbison’s “Oh, Pretty Woman,” followed by an odd Latin-flavoured drum solo by Alex, and a vocally awful version of The Kink’s “You Really Got Me,” the band regained their footing with their 1979 hit “Dance the Night Away.”

Other second half show highlights included a blistering version of “Hot for Teacher,” “Ice Cream Man,” featuring Roth’s acoustic guitar intro, as well as the VH party rock hit “Panama.”

But it was Eddie Van Halen who stole the show in the home stretch with a 10 minute long guitar solo that covered the gamut of sounds and styles, showing why he remains ranked as one of the best in business, crowning the display with “Eruption,” his masterpiece from VH’s 1978 debut album.

The big screen display was used to great advantage during the solo, showing close-ups of Eddie’s fingerwork, allowing guitar god wannabees the opportunity to drool and take notes.

VH wrapped the night in fine form with the steamy 1978 debut album track “Ain't Talking 'Bout Love,” followed by the instantly recognizable synth lines of their 1984 smash No1 hit – “Jump,” replete with confetti cannons and a mike stand twirling Roth, who played drum major.

It was a different kind of Van Halen show than their last visit here with Diamond Dave in 1980, but with Eddie back in form, these ageing veterans proved they can still rock with the best – with or without the stage trappings.

Kool and the Gang opened the night with well-played a 50 minute hit filled set, that had the crowd on their feet by the time they wrapped with the classic disco era hit “Celebrate.”
    Visit Van Halen - A Different Kind of Timeline. Your Van Halen "coffee table e-book". Music videos, full concerts, documentaries, photos, album releases and more. Scroll through reverse-chronological history of the greatest all-around rock band of all time.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

The entire 1984 catalog
    Last Online

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Duplicate post * * * * Deleted
    Last edited by NoBrownM&Ms; 05.15.12 at 11:21 AM.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

The entire 1984 catalog
    Last Online

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Aging rockers Van Halen can still bring it

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...151327945.html

David Lee Roth may not be able to jump like he used to, but he’s still got some moves.

These days the Van Halen frontman favours the shimmy, shake, slide and spin instead of the above-the-head kicks and air splits he was famous for in his younger days, although he still pulled off a few leaps and kicks during the band’s stop at the MTS Centre on Sunday night.

He is 57 after all, so that’s to be expected, as was his flashy outfit that looked like he picked it up at Liberace’s garage sale: a sparkly blue and red jacket, leather pants, a black vest and satin blue shirt. And he never failed to deliver a whole lot of head-scratching and/or hilarious quotes that seemed to come from a part of his brain far away from the 30-odd years of lyrics rattling around in there.

Some examples:

❚ "We're going to hell in a bowl full of cherries."

❚ While talking about a drum beat that sounded like an old beer commercial he suddenly ended the conversation with: "No metaphysics before happy hour. I'll probably lie to you again before the evening is over."

❚ "I made a sex tape in 1982 and I was a 1982 sexy mother (lover)."

❚ While talking to a fan in the crowd: "I might be your Goddamn father. You look familiar."

❚ During a cover of Roy Orbison's Oh, Pretty Woman he stopped the song and gave a fan grief for throwing something on stage. "Wait a minute, wait a minute. Don't throw your garbage up on stage; throw your girlfriend up, (bad word insult)."

Oh yeah, he's still full of spunk and both he and the veteran California band were in fine form for a crowd of about 8,000. Official attendance wasn't released for the show, but the arena was set up in its full configuration and there were plenty of unused seats. With a top ticket price of $165, Van Halen might have overestimated their value in today's market.

The money wasn't spent on production. The simple setup included only a large video screen behind the band showing black and white images of the action on stage, replays of that action (you could see Roth pretending his fingers were guns twice), still photos and the band's logo. There were some steps leading up to a drum riser and bass amps, but as far as arena rock spectacles go, this ranked low on the spectacle scale.

Not that it really mattered in the end, since it was hard-rock nostalgia we were there for and hard-rock nostalgia we got.

Reviews of the tour have been mixed, but Winnipeg appears to have caught the band on a good night with Roth and the Van Halens — guitarist Eddie, drummer Alex and bassist Wolfgang (who replaced original member Michael Anthony in 2006) — offering up 22 tracks and two solos in nearly two hours.

Eddie is known for his "brown sound," but everything about his style Sunday was colourful, from the recognizable riffs and the speedy solos to his whammy bar dive bombs and his legendary tapping. He smiled through much of the night and was in fine form while harmonizing with his son Wolfgang and Roth.

The band is touring on the new release, A Different Kind of Truth, and offered up four tracks from it, but otherwise the material focused on the albums recorded with Roth from 1978-84.

The band took the stage and launched into Unchained off Fair Warning before revisiting their 1978 self-titled debut with Runnin' With the Devil. Other early highlights included Everybody Wants Some!! and Somebody Get Me a Doctor.

Things started lagging in the energy department about 40 minutes in with the new China Town, Oh, Pretty Woman, a drum solo and the Kinks' You Really Got Me, but things picked up again with Dance the Night Away, I'll Wait and Hot for Teacher, which had Roth working up a huge sweat while dancing around the stage.

In one of the show's strangest bits, Roth stood alone on stage plucking an acoustic guitar while talking about his sheep-herding dogs while videos of them played behind him.

"I love dogs! Is anybody with me here?" he asked before introducing everyone to his pets — including one from Manitoba — and talking about his hobby and his vehicles.

"I own three pickup trucks. There are no other cars in the garage."

The story led into a full-throttle version of Ice Cream Man followed by the party anthem Panama before Eddie was left alone for his nearly 10-minute solo and the guitar god showed he is still a master by playing clean, distorted, making weird noises by messing with the volume knob, tapping and climaxing with Eruption, arguably one of the best known guitar solos in rock 'n' roll.

The strong finish concluded with Ain't Talking 'Bout Love and Jump. During the final song Roth didn't do any jumping, but spun a microphone stand around like a baton before confetti shot into the air.

In an odd bit of counter-programming, Kool & the Gang were hand-picked by Roth to open the show and treated a sparse crowd to a 50-minute set of funk, R&B, disco and pop.

The 10-piece group has been together in various incarnations since the mid 1960s and are still led by brothers Robert "Kool" Bell on bass and Ronald Bell on saxophone. It took about half the set for the crowd to get into it, but the people who were there were treated to a tight, energetic set by a hard-working band that played nothing but hits, including Hollywood Swinging, Jungle Boogie, Get Down On It, Ladies Night and the wedding/social staple Celebration, which had some people dancing in their seats and singing along.