Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default 'Help me,' homeless man begs as cops fatally beat him in videotaped incident

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lano...courtroom.html

A graphic video played at a hearing Monday to determine whether two California police officers should stand trial in the beating death of a homeless man showed them kicking and punching the mentally ill man as he lay on the ground -- screaming in pain and begging for help.

The victim, Kelly Thomas, died five days after the beating on July 5.

Manuel Ramos, a 10-year veteran of the Fullerton, California, police department, is charged with second-degree murder and involuntary manslaughter, while Cpl. Jay Patrick Cicinelli faces charges of involuntary manslaughter and felony use of excessive force in the same case.

Both have pleaded not guilty.

The black-and-white video was played during a preliminary hearing for the two officers.

It begins with Thomas -- a 37-year-old homeless man with schizophrenia -- sitting and being told by Ramos to put his feet out and hands on his knees.

The officers were responding to a call about a homeless man looking into car windows and pulling on handles of parked cars.

In the video, Thomas is slow to cooperate.

Ramos then tells him: "You see my fists? They're getting ready to f--- you up."

Thomas, who is unarmed and shirtless, stands and another officer walks over. They hit him with their batons and hold him on the ground as he begs for help.

"Ok, I'm sorry, dude. I'm sorry!" he screams. At one point, Thomas says he can't breathe. The officers tell him to lie on his stomach, put his hands behind his back and relax.

"Ok, here, here, dude, please!" he says.

Other officers arrive.

At times, trees block the view of the camera and it's not always clear who is doing what as officers pile on top of Thomas.

One uses a Taser stun gun.

Thomas cries out for help and. toward the end of the beating, for his father: "Dad! Help me. Help me. Help me, dad."

His voice gets softer and trails off.

By the end of the video, he is lying in a pool of blood as the officers wonder out loud what to do next.

One can be heard saying: "We ran out of options so I got to the end of my Taser and I ... smashed his face to hell."

By the time the confrontation ends, Thomas is lying in a pool of blood. Officers then examine their own wounds as they stand near Thomas, who is handcuffed and on the ground. "You are covered in blood, dude," one officer can be heard saying to Ramos, who claimed Thomas bit him on the leg.

Cicinelli adds: "He is the one you're gonna need to look at."

Thomas suffered brain injuries, a shattered nose, a smashed cheekbone, broken ribs and internal bleeding, according to authorities. But he died of "mechanical compression of the thorax" his windpipe was crushed.

But attorneys for the two officers sought to portray his medical treatment as the reason for Thomas' death rather than the officers' actions.

John Barnett, Ramos' attorney, asked the fire captain and a trauma surgical chief about whether the initial doctors at St. Jude Medical Center in Fullerton struggled to insert a tube and clear an airway for him.

"The cause of death might be the treatment he got the hospital?" Barnett asked UC Irvine surgical trauma chief Michael Lekawa, seeking to persuade a judge to dismiss murder and manslaughter charges against his client.

Lekawa acknowledged that he was concerned about medical error until he saw the medical reports and video of the incident.

Thomas suffered brain injuries, facial fractures, rib fractures, and extensive bruising and abrasions, according to prosecutors.

The Orange County coroner listed his manner of death as a homicide and said he died after having his chest compressed, leaving him unable to breathe.

The FBI is investigating possible civil rights violations in his case.

Six Fullerton officers, including Ramos and Cicinelli, were put on paid leave after his death. The case drew widespread attention to the police department of Fullerton, located about 25 miles southeast of downtown Los Angeles.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Too hard to choose
    Favorite VH Song

Too hard to choose
    Last Online

06.02.16 @ 09:13 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sure seems brutal. Hard to believe the taser itself would not have done the job. I mean it's the great equalizer and is a big reason so many women can hold their own now in law enforcement, (that's what I've heard from many law enforcement officers). It allows you to control a situation without deadly or violent force no matter what your own physical stature. Who knows about this one, maybe there are other factors not reported, but it looks really bad for some of those cops.

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:48 AM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

It's too bad his Schizophrenia wasn't able to be treated before it got to that situation. Very sad.
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

Wonder what the toxicity report from his autopsy revealed, if anything...
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 07:14 PM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

without seeing the video, it sounds as if he was slow to cooperate, but as soon as they hit him the first time he was ready to, but they just kept going. I know the police have a tough job and I'm thankful for those out there doing it, but from the description, whether he had died or not, this sounds grotesquely excessive.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Love 'em all! (esp. F.U.C.K)
    Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

12.04.17 @ 04:15 PM
    Liked 1,228 Times in 845 Posts

I'm not going to watch the video; I still feel physically sick just from reading the report.

There are some people who once given a taste of power just ruthlessly exploit that position - combine that with a 'gang' mentality, as seen here - and the results can be utterly horrendous. I feel sorry for the vast majority of police officers who do a fantastic job in often tremendously difficult circumstances whose name and reputation are tarnished by vile stuff like this.
    I'm FEMALE...Deal with it!

"Whatever you do, wherever you go, there you are..." Edward Van Halen 1986

"You spend the first part of your life trying to make your mark, and the second part just trying to cover up your tracks"... Weesfreewheelin, 2012

"Life's too short to stuff a mushroom"... Shirley Conran, 1975

"You turn if you want to...The LADY is NOT for turning!"...Margaret
    Thatcher, 1980

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 09:55 AM
    Liked 415 Times in 250 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dibblekins View Post
    I'm not going to watch the video; I still feel physically sick just from reading the report.

There are some people who once given a taste of power just ruthlessly exploit that position - combine that with a 'gang' mentality, as seen here - and the results can be utterly horrendous. I feel sorry for the vast majority of police officers who do a fantastic job in often tremendously difficult circumstances whose name and reputation are tarnished by vile stuff like this.
    This.

I'm not going to watch it either. It really is pathetic and sad how power can completely change somebody's attitude. In one way or another, I'm sure many of us have witnessed it, whether it be with somebody getting promoted or in a situation such as a cop or security guard who thinks they can do/say/act whatever/however they want just because they wear a badge and carry a gun. Truly disgusting and sad.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Last Online

12.03.17 @ 09:00 PM
    Liked 537 Times in 291 Posts

Premium Member
    Fuckin stupid! No need for that kind of shit. "And I smashed his face to hell!" Wow. Out.
    Quin-a-se-i-co

You're a dick for putting ian on "ignore" DIF

"You stupid fuck!" Seen

"Well if you saw it, stats and scientific studies be damned!" Lovemachine 97 v. 2.

Favorite VH Album

5150, OU812, Balance, F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

Dont have one
    Last Online

08.28.16 @ 11:47 PM
    Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts

Can you say Rodney King?

This is one of those articles where I dont even have to watch the video to get an idea of how fucked up this is. The whole idea of a police department is to protect and serve the people, not beat them to a bloody fucking pulp and then watch the man die. What they should have done is at least arrest him, put him in the back of the car and taken him to a hospital to get some mental help. But instead, they murder the guy and act like its not big deal.

I usually dont have a problem with police and I know they are just doing their jobs. But there is a small percentage of police officers who are no better than the people they put in jail. These guys should be thrown right into the general population and let nature take its course.
    Facebook http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=504401115
    YouTube http://www.youtube.com/user/jedimasterkyle

BOISE STATE BRONCOS! - They're awesome. Deal with it!

11/16/04 - VAN HALEN in Boise, Idaho. Changed my life forever

8/8/06 - Sammy Hagar and the Wabos w/Michael Anthony in Boise, Idaho. Sam and Mike still kick ass

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

New report from August 2011...

Favorite VH Album

Too hard to choose
    Favorite VH Song

Too hard to choose
    Last Online

06.02.16 @ 09:13 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sad situation. Guess you have to think how you would feel if it were your child, 37 years old, mentally ill, whatever. There has to be a better way.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

2 Fullerton, Calif., officers ordered to stand trial in death of beaten homeless man

Two Southern California police officers must stand trial in the death of mentally ill homeless man Kelly Thomas, whose beating by cops was captured in a graphic video shown publicly for the first time this week in court, a judge ruled Wednesday.

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/20...n-homeless-man

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:48 AM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

I'm glad they put the video out. The guy was resisting the entire time. If he'd just put his hands behind his back he'd still be alive.
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

Lawyers challenge pathologist's testimony in Fullerton police trial

A coroner's office pathologist says Kelly Thomas died of injuries he suffered in his clash with officers, not heart trouble related to drug use.

http://www.latimes.com/local/la-me-1...#ixzz2nHFVc1To

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 07:25 AM
    Liked 3,117 Times in 1,828 Posts

Premium Member

Default 'Help me,' homeless man begs as cops fatally beat him in videotaped incident

Not guilty on all counts. Jesus motherfuck my face.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk