Favorite VH Album

VH, 5150, OU812, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/When It's Love
    Last Online

09.05.13 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Guitar World Sounding Board

I was delighted to read the Sounding Board section in the latest issue of Guitar World in which VH fans "Spanked" Guitar World for ignoring some of the gems from the Van Hagar Era, and ranking several of those included so low.

I also agreed with reviewers who questioned the inclusion of Tattoo over Blood and Fire, which I personally think is one of Van Halen's greatest songs.

What say you guys?

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

Guitar World has no balls any more. They aren't the impartial magazine they used to be, and given the fact they've been so closely linked to EVH both personally and monetarily (as an advertiser) over the past number of years, they probably didn't want to rock the boat including Sammy Era contributions and "risk" exclusion from future interviews or EVH revenue.
    It's totally childish, and knee jerk in my opinion because even Eddie in the Esquire article acknowledged the Sam era's worth, but it seems more true with media of all types these days.
    There was some great stuff with Sam and it should be recognized for what it was at the time.
    It brought a lot more of a broader fan base, and dare I say many fans who first listened to VH was at a time under the Van Hagar banner.
    Last edited by we die young; 05.08.12 at 11:36 AM.

Favorite VH Album

The one with Ed on guitar.
    Favorite VH Song

The one with Ed's amazing solo
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 04:55 PM
    Liked 186 Times in 92 Posts

They should had done a 100 Best VH songs.
    "I could call it anything, but the only word I can think of is Brown. It's just a warm sound. Warm, big, majestic" - Eddie Van Halen on his Tone

"Van Halen is definitely a ladies band, and I´ve got the Polaroids to prove it". - David Lee Roth

WOLFGANG did the IMPOSSIBLE, he brought back VAN HALEN, DEAL WITH IT.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

11.27.15 @ 11:12 PM
    Liked 92 Times in 26 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by clrw5150 View Post
    I was delighted to read the Sounding Board section in the latest issue of Guitar World in which VH fans "Spanked" Guitar World for ignoring some of the gems from the Van Hagar Era, and ranking several of those included so low.

I was disappointed that any Van Hagar songs made it all. GW probably didn't want to rock the boat and included some Van Hagar songs just to please Ed.

You are discovering, as many Van Hagar fans have been discovering, that the Van Hagar years were just not up to the quality level of the Classic Van Halen era. Sure they were popular in their day, but like My Sharona, nobody really cares about Van Hagar anymore.

Van Halen = Led Zeppelin
    Van Hagar = Bay City Rollers

It can be a sad thing to see a Van Hagar fan coming to grips with reality... but no one can be blamed for their disillusionment more than Hagar himself:

"They thought it was going to be the biggest thing since sliced bread, getting David Lee Roth back. I mean, with “Running With the Devil” and “Jump,” people would have been happy for about twenty minutes. But then they would have said, “Okay, what about ‘Why Can’t This Be Love’? What about ‘Dreams’?" - Sammy Hagar, 1996

Sorry, Hagar fans, but Van Halen fans *are not* asking, "What about ‘Why Can’t This Be Love’? What about ‘Dreams’?"

Van Halen are concluding thier sets with thundering ovations from large crowds... and without singing any Van Hagar tunes at all. That's just the way it is and always will be... sorry.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 01:34 PM
    Liked 18,182 Times in 8,986 Posts

Pretty much disagree with everything you wrote, and I'm a DLR fan.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 01:27 PM
    Liked 11,786 Times in 6,532 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by we die young View Post
    Guitar World has no balls any more. They aren't the impartial magazine they used to be, and given the fact they've been so closely linked to EVH both personally and monetarily (as an advertiser) over the past number of years, they probably didn't want to rock the boat including Sammy Era contributions and "risk" exclusion from future interviews or EVH revenue.
    It's totally childish, and knee jerk in my opinion because even Eddie in the Esquire article acknowledged the Sam era's worth, but it seems more true with media of all types these days.
    There was some great stuff with Sam and it should be recognized for what it was at the time.
    It brought a lot more of a broader fan base, and dare I say many fans who first listened to VH was at a time under the Van Hagar banner.
    Really? You really believe that most VH fans first listened to them when Sammy was in the band? They were already THE BIGGEST BAND IN THE WORLD when Sammy joined. As far as broadening the base goes, it would be more accurate to say that by going for a more commercial sound they replaced half of the fans that jumped ship with a new batch of fans.

I was in high school when they split with Dave. Trust me, most of the new fans would have never been caught dead at a Van Halen concert. But when "5150" came out they were all over the Sammy train. This was the same crowd that listened to bands like Journey,Foreigner,Styx, Huey Lewis,and Aldo Nova. In other words, Sammy's contemporaries. The Van Halen base was a hard rock/heavy metal crowd and wouldn't be caught dead listening to those bands. As far as the rankings on guitar player go, I think they're just about right. Van Hagar is not classic VH. Now, LET THE GAMES BEGIN! LOL

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fabulous Picasso View Post
    I was disappointed that any Van Hagar songs made it all. GW probably didn't want to rock the boat and included some Van Hagar songs just to please Ed.

You are discovering, as many Van Hagar fans have been discovering, that the Van Hagar years were just not up to the quality level of the Classic Van Halen era. Sure they were popular in their day, but like My Sharona, nobody really cares about Van Hagar anymore.

Van Halen = Led Zeppelin

It can be a sad thing to see a Van Hagar fan coming to grips with reality... but no one can be blamed for their disillusionment more than Hagar himself:

"They thought it was going to be the biggest thing since sliced bread, getting David Lee Roth back. I mean, with “Running With the Devil” and “Jump,” people would have been happy for about twenty minutes. But then they would have said, “Okay, what about ‘Why Can’t This Be Love’? What about ‘Dreams’?" - Sammy Hagar, 1996

Sorry, Hagar fans, but Van Halen fans *are not* asking, "What about ‘Why Can’t This Be Love’? What about ‘Dreams’?"

Van Halen are concluding thier sets with thundering ovations from large crowds... and without singing any Van Hagar tunes at all. That's just the way it is and always will be... sorry.

Last Online

10.10.17 @ 06:08 AM
    Liked 16 Times in 9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    Pretty much disagree with everything you wrote, and I'm a DLR fan.
    Pretty much disagree with everything you wrote, and I'm a DLR fan. (obviously )
    Thanks for paying my rent. -- EVH

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

There's just too many
    Last Online

10.26.15 @ 12:38 PM
    Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fabulous Picasso View Post

Van Halen = Led Zeppelin

Wow. You could not be more wrong. Fans know that the CVH era has a great catalog that doesn't have to have any Hagar-material, but don't try to be an asshole minimizing the Sam's time in the band. I still hear "Top of the World" and "Right Now" being played at sports games and Hagar-era songs still being played on the radio. When it comes to casual fans, there will be far more people who know "Dreams" than "Outta Love Again". Even in the Esquire interview, Eddie acknowledged the chance (however slim it might be) that there could be a Hagar reunion. And if they did, they will play a lot of the same venues, probably at the same price, and even include some CVH songs. Not every show would be sold-out, but neither is every show on this tour.

Hate to break it to you, but

Van Halen=Van Halen
    Van Hagar=Van Halen

And by the way, go ahead and keep trying to make the lame argument that the music of the Hagar era was always soft pop. Don't get mad when people judge the Roth-era based on "Jump" and "I'll Wait".

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    Really? You really believe that most VH fans first listened to them when Sammy was in the band? They were already THE BIGGEST BAND IN THE WORLD when Sammy joined. As far as broadening the base goes, it would be more accurate to say that by going for a more commercial sound they replaced half of the fans that jumped ship with a new batch of fans.

I was in high school when they split with Dave. Trust me, most of the new fans would have never been caught dead at a Van Halen concert. But when "5150" came out they were all over the Sammy train. This was the same crowd that listened to bands like Journey,Foreigner,Styx, Huey Lewis,and Aldo Nova. In other words, Sammy's contemporaries. The Van Halen base was a hard rock/heavy metal crowd and wouldn't be caught dead listening to those bands. As far as the rankings on guitar player go, I think they're just about right. Van Hagar is not classic VH. Now, LET THE GAMES BEGIN! LOL

Wow! I think you took what I wrote wrong. I never said most. I said many, as in many of the fans today. I also said it brought a broader spectrum of fans to the band. Yeah, those Journey, foreigner, and Styx fans.....but so what? Just cause I didn't like most of that stuff, I thought it was cool that some of these people where digging back after hearing 5150 and getting an appreciation for what VH was truly about; Kick ass R&R! Previously casual fans, for better or for worse. I was a fan of the band from very early on, and liked Dave much more over Sammy. Period. Still do. In fact it took me quite a while to accept Sammy's vocals in the band as well as their new direction, but it was still Eddie Al and Mike that made it special. Now I appreciate both eras.
    I know for a fact, as I was a school kid too when VH were as you said the biggest band in the world as well. All I know is I had a lot of people say to me when Sammy Joined (who previously never heard other stuff other than Jump and Panama....and if they were really digging back DITS!) that they loved Dreams and BOBW, and actually considered going to a VH concert for the first time.
    Basically, I'm in total agreement with you.
    Just wanted to make sure you read my post right.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 01:28 PM
    Liked 11,600 Times in 4,945 Posts

Same person starting the same shit.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by JakeK21 View Post
    Wow. You could not be more wrong. Fans know that the CVH era has a great catalog that doesn't have to have any Hagar-material, but don't try to be an asshole minimizing the Sam's time in the band. I still hear "Top of the World" and "Right Now" being played at sports games and Hagar-era songs still being played on the radio. When it comes to casual fans, there will be far more people who know "Dreams" than "Outta Love Again". Even in the Esquire interview, Eddie acknowledged the chance (however slim it might be) that there could be a Hagar reunion. And if they did, they will play a lot of the same venues, probably at the same price, and even include some CVH songs. Not every show would be sold-out, but neither is every show on this tour.

Van Halen=Van Halen
    Van Hagar=Van Halen

And by the way, go ahead and keep trying to make the lame argument that the music of the Hagar era was always soft pop. Don't get mad when people judge the Roth-era based on "Jump" and "I'll Wait".
    Totally agree. I mean come on. Good Enough pounds, 5150 is a great guitar tune. Summer Nights is like an anthem for the Summer BBQ.
    Most of it was written before Sam even joined too.

Frankly, I'll be the first to admit that I started getting tired of Sam from FUCK through Balance. I thought it was getting a little more hit and miss lyrically and too many ballady things. I'm not knocking it, but it just wasn't my speed, but all those albums have some redeeming stuff too. For every Not Enough, there's Dream Is Over.

I just don't get the comparisons between Dave and Sam that still go on because there aren't any.
    They are completely different. The fact that Sam sang Dave's stuff was proof that it was in demand to see them play that stuff. He coulda said no but he did it anyway because the band was so big and fans wanted to hear the band play it regardless of who was singing it.

That said, there would be no reason at all where Dave would ever be caught singing a song from the era of his replacement. Not his style of stuff anyway right?

It's Eddie, Al, Mike, and now Wolfgang that are the one constant with fans. The vocals and lyrics are just a matter of taste.
    Two women friends of mine actually don't like the fact that Dave is back in. It's their opinion, and thy're welcome to it.
    Personally I'm thrilled, and are we in agreement the the new album and tour is the best we could possibly ask for from guys pushing 60?
    Great time to be a fan.
    Last edited by we die young; 05.08.12 at 01:19 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Right Now & Unchained
    Last Online

06.29.17 @ 05:24 AM
    Liked 21 Times in 12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JakeK21 View Post

Van Halen=Van Halen
    Van Hagar=Van Halen

Or the face melting versions of "Dancing in the streets" or (Oh) "Pretty woman", and I really don't think "Dance the Night Away" was all that heavy. Selective Memory Disorder runs amok here sometimes.

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by we die young View Post
    Wow! I think you took what I wrote wrong. I never said most. I said many, as in many of the fans today. I also said it brought a broader spectrum of fans to the band. Yeah, those Journey, foreigner, and Styx fans.....but so what? Just cause I didn't like most of that stuff, I thought it was cool that some of these people where digging back after hearing 5150 and getting an appreciation for what VH was truly about; Kick ass R&R! Previously casual fans, for better or for worse. I was a fan of the band from very early on, and liked Dave much more over Sammy. Period. Still do. In fact it took me quite a while to accept Sammy's vocals in the band as well as their new direction, but it was still Eddie Al and Mike that made it special. Now I appreciate both eras.
    I know for a fact, as I was a school kid too when VH were as you said the biggest band in the world as well. All I know is I had a lot of people say to me when Sammy Joined (who previously never heard other stuff other than Jump and Panama....and if they were really digging back DITS!) that they loved Dreams and BOBW, and actually considered going to a VH concert for the first time.
    Basically, I'm in total agreement with you.
    Just wanted to make sure you read my post right.
    You're right. You said many not most. You're also right that we basically agree. LOL CHEERS!

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 01:34 PM
    Liked 18,182 Times in 8,986 Posts

Thank God we have a new Sam vs Dave debate, I was going through withdrawals.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!