All of them
    Favorite VH Song

There's just too many
    Last Online

10.26.15 @ 12:38 PM
    Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts

Default Major string height/buzz issue

Hey everybody,

I changed the strings on my Charvel So-Cal, the way I usually do, but for some reason, now each string seems to be touching the frets and buzzing. Each string only plays one note, no matter what fret. I've tried adjusting just about everything except the truss rod. I've never come across anything like this, so if somebody who might know what the problem is, could you break it down real simply and explain what to do? Much, much thanks.

Last Online

02.24.16 @ 07:27 AM
    Liked 349 Times in 206 Posts

Yep...same thing happens to my San Dimas after an overdue string change this time of year.

The necks have been under tension and the weather change messes with them. Truss rod adjustment time!

I am assuming you haven't adjusted the Floyd or used a different string gauge.

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

There's just too many
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Arson View Post
    Yep...same thing happens to my San Dimas after an overdue string change this time of year.

The necks have been under tension and the weather change messes with them. Truss rod adjustment time!

I am assuming you haven't adjusted the Floyd or used a different string gauge.
    To answer your last two questions- no. Floyd's the same and the gauge is still .009's.

I'll try the truss rod. It'll be my first time working with it, so wish me luck!

In fact... is the truss rod only accessible by unscrewing the bolts that connect the neck and body? I don't see any other spots.

Last Online

02.24.16 @ 07:27 AM
    Liked 349 Times in 206 Posts

Yes, unfortunately you have to unscrew the neck. I pm'd you.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Last Online

08.07.17 @ 08:14 PM
    Liked 313 Times in 149 Posts

Donor

Question...

Did you take all the strings off at one time, or did you change them string by string???

I just ask because it would seem strange if you did it one at a time that it would need a truss rod adjustment...

Obviously you do need it, but I'm looking for the "why" it needs to be done... Just investigating...
    Jet City Super Stealth
    Marshall 50th Anniversary JCM-1H and Class 5 Combo
    Austin Speaker Works KTS-60

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

There's just too many
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by fast98dodge View Post
    Question...

Did you take all the strings off at one time, or did you change them string by string???

I just ask because it would seem strange if you did it one at a time that it would need a truss rod adjustment...

Obviously you do need it, but I'm looking for the "why" it needs to be done... Just investigating...
    Yes, this was the one difference in everything I did, I took them all off at once. I put a piece of wood underneath the Floyd to keep it even, but apparently that didn't help. This happened with my first FR and the guy at the local guitar store didn't explain the whole truss rod/taking off all the strings at the same time issue, he simply fixed it.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 05:40 PM
    Liked 11,593 Times in 4,941 Posts

You should always change strings one at a time...especially if you live where the climate changes a lot.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

There's just too many
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    You should always change strings one at a time...especially if you live where the climate changes a lot.
    Yup. Definetely learning that the hard way. I've always done it one at a time since the first time I tried restringing my old Ibanez, but my scumbag brain told me to take them all off this time, for some bizarre reason.

I'm going to bring it to a guy I've worked with before and have him completely fix it and also put in a block. Thanks for all the replies, I really appreciate it.

Last Online

10.17.12 @ 03:50 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I always take them all off at once, never had it effect anything at all.
    It baffles me when people say "oh dont EVER leave a guitar with strings off it you'll warp the neck etc etc"

Are they freakin' serious? How do you think people do setups/adjustments/fretjobs etc

People need to stop spreading this crap and learn how to do a real setup with a floyd.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Last Online

08.07.17 @ 08:14 PM
    Liked 313 Times in 149 Posts

Donor

I've taken all of them off at once doing my Wolfgang and it's never been a problem... Hell, I even had no strings on it for a day or two when I was cleaning the fingeboard for the first time in 10 years... INTERESTING...
    Jet City Super Stealth
    Marshall 50th Anniversary JCM-1H and Class 5 Combo
    Austin Speaker Works KTS-60

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Any one of them will do...
    Last Online

08.16.13 @ 10:05 AM
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

It's sound advice to change strings one at a time.

But you can take off all the strings without a problem too. Unless your neck was warped to begin with, and your truss rod doesn't become defective, there's really nothing that can't be fixed. I take necks off and swap them around and let them sit all the time without any problems. The maple neck I have on my number one gigging guitar right now sat for about 3-4 months all by it's lonesome until I installed it. I bolted it on and put strings (.10s) on it and only did a quarter turn on the truss rod and it was fine with the string tension. It's been played inside, outside, under hot lights, bright sun, survived travel, different climates across the country, hot and cold, dry wet, being knocked around, handled by other people who knock it around; and its a thin, one-piece neck to boot.

Spring tension on the Floyd could also be playing a part in your problem, especially if you have a floating set up. Make sure the baseplate is parallel to the guitar body at all times.

Most likely though is your neck needs some relief as the truss rod is too tight. Check how straight the neck is now; if it's perfectly straight or a little concave (Bulging out in the center, or curving downwards in appearance) turn the truss rod counter-clockwise. Do small quarter turns and let it sit for a few minutes after each turn. Turn clockwise to tighten the rod and make the neck straighter if the neck is convex (curved inward on itself)
    Atomic Punk Guitars
    http://www.facebook.com/AtomicPunkGuitars

"Life is like music; sometimes it's the silence in between the notes that is most important..."

"I'd rather be a failure with my own music, than a success off of someone else's music..." - Edward Van Halen

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Every guitar player should learn how to do simple adjustments to their instrument. Climate affects your guitar no matter where you live. So one shouldn't be surprised at how doing nothing can leave your guitar in a state of disrepair. The single item that will require the most attention (assuming you're starting off with a properly set-up guitar) is the truss rod. The neck expands and contracts with changing dew points--especially necks with light or minimal finishes. When the weather is humid the wood expands, gains strength, and pulls harder back against the strings (they go sharp). When the weather drys out the wood contracts, becomes weaker, and bows up (they go flat). The first couple of years of a guitar's life--when it's fresh from the factory and settled into its regular climate--is when it is most unpredictable. But if you start with a superbly set-up guitar, make small truss rod adjustments when necessary (typically tighter with dry weather, looser with humid weather), maintain the same string gauge, and don't routinely throw your instrument against walls, you should only need to make small adjustments to intonation, bridge height, etc. very occasionally.

I've never bought the "one-string-at-a-time" method for changing strings. I've been doing it for 25-plus years and have never had a single issue with taking all the strings off before putting new ones on. Also, you really should be oiling the fingerboard wood at least a couple of times a year, and that's quite hard to do with five or more strings on. I guess technically I can see the point of it--maintain tension so the neck wood doesn't go twisty-crazy. I've found that if you take strings off (gently releasing tension first), do the necessary cleaning and conditioning, then immediately put new strings on and tune them up to pitch once all six are on, your neck finds its way back to "normal" anywhere from one minute to one hour. If strings have to stay off for longer than an hour loosen the truss rod.

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

There's just too many
    Last Online

Obviously, like almost everything having to do with guitars and music gear, people will have their own approach and opinion. What works for one person may not work for another. Personally, the one string at a time method has served me best. It's been relatively easy for me to clean the guitar even with 5-6 strings on, although I admit I do like to keep some dirt on there.

Edit- I realize I still have ALOT to learn with the guitar, and this thread is helping me to understand the in's and out's of it. I like to just plug in and play, but when a problem like this comes up, I'm a deer caught in the headlights. Again, thanks for all the comments.
    Last edited by JakeK21; 05.06.12 at 08:49 PM.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

05.24.12 @ 02:37 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What will happen to the guitar if you leave it in its case most of the time? Or, is it better for the guitar to leave it outside of its case?

Thanks.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 05:40 PM
    Liked 11,593 Times in 4,941 Posts

I've taken all my strings off a billion times too. Never had an issue. But I can also fix it if I did. I am telling you if you live in So Cal the climate never changes here. We don't have humidity, and it doesn't get very cold. So I disagree that the weather affects everyone's necks. It does depend where you live.

I agree everyone should be able to do simple adjustments. But you can also fuck your truss rod up and ruin your neck if you don't know what you're doing. I think it's always better to err on the side of caution if you're a beginning player and are unsure.

I like dirty fretboards too, I rarely clean mine. I'll wipe the strings down though.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!