Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Romeo Delight
    Last Online

04.12.15 @ 12:42 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Default POS guitarcenter..

these geniuses don't inspect the crap they buy in, i bought a 5150 iii cab wow it was clean for 600 bucks and i thought to myself. it sounds a little off
    so today i open it up and BAM peavey speakers
    i called the manager where i picked it up and he yelled at me "bring it in"
    wtf..

so i returned it.
    Buyer beware when buying cabs at guitarcenter.

Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

TIE! Humans Being and HAIL
    Last Online

09.07.17 @ 09:37 PM
    Liked 90 Times in 37 Posts

Whoa, lame.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xevh5150evhx View Post
    these geniuses don't inspect the crap they buy in, i bought a 5150 iii cab wow it was clean for 600 bucks and i thought to myself. it sounds a little off
    so today i open it up and BAM peavey speakers
    i called the manager where i picked it up and he yelled at me "bring it in"
    wtf..

so i returned it.
    Buyer beware when buying cabs at guitarcenter.
    Do you think someone bought it new, swapped the speakers, then returned it a day later? WOWsers.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by mrjstudios View Post
    Do you think someone bought it new, swapped the speakers, then returned it a day later? WOWsers.
    yeah something along those lines, because it was used. Maybe they bought it and swapped the 5150 speakers with the 5150 iii speakers and returned it or sold it to guitarcenter
    basterds.
    gonna scalp em.

now i'm cabless lol

btw guys that franky pickup is the devil!
    it freakin rocks!!!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

yeah something along those lines, because it was used. Maybe they bought it and swapped the 5150 speakers with the 5150 iii speakers and returned it or sold it to guitarcenter
    basterds.
    gonna scalp em.

now i'm cabless lol

btw guys that franky pickup is the devil!
    it freakin rocks!!!
    Take your $600 back from Guitar Center and just wait until one comes up on Ebay. I've seen 5150III cabs go for $550-750 on there fairly often. Just wait a little while until you find a great deal close to you.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Sounds to me like someone decided to upgrade their old 5150 cab with new Celestions, that sucks and it sucks even more that GC don't inspect their used stock for things like that.
    On a side note, I hate the Peavey speakers that they fitted to the 5150 cabs, so unidirectional, I always use a Celestion loaded Marshall 1960 4x12 with mine.

GC sould compensate you by giving you a NEW cab.
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by tommywho5150 View Post
    Sounds to me like someone decided to upgrade their old 5150 cab with new Celestions, that sucks and it sucks even more that GC don't inspect their used stock for things like that.
    On a side note, I hate the Peavey speakers that they fitted to the 5150 cabs, so unidirectional, I always use a Celestion loaded Marshall 1960 4x12 with mine.

Exactly what I was thinking
    But the Hollywood guys are snobby a holes just trying to make you walk out with a ton of gear

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tommywho5150 View Post

That actually happens a lot. in the store I used to work at as a kid, we got burned on a few cabs that came in and we'd put up for sale.
    One in particular was a classic purple Tolex Marshall straight cab that was in great condition, no tears or typical road wear. So our manager was just ready to chomp at the bit and gave the guy 6 or 7 hundred bucks (this was 15-20 years ago) because of it being so nice.
    Well, he ended up playing it after we closed; something he shoulda done when it came in. It sounded absolutely horrible. we opened it up and it was a horror show. The two top speakers were mismatched Fenders, and the bottom had one wasted dead Celestion (probably the original) and one no name labeled "75w. Alnico" if memory serves.
    We had a few other come in that had mods like stereo pair splits, of course different speakers etc. and most often they would sound pretty good.
    I actually have one of those old cabs now...a 60's Hiwatt. It's has some very worn Fane's in it, but I've been trying some different ones out that will sound at home. It's a massively thick cab and weighs a ton but it's got some real bottom end to it, so finding a balance is much trickier than a typical 1960 Marshall cab.

I agree with you on the Peavey Sheffield's. They are like ray guns with their directionality. I hate those things live, and mic'ing them is a whole other adventure if you're trying to get the exact sound you want, at least with SM57's.
    They sound either too sharp if you mic head on, even away from the center, and if you go closer to the middle/ outer edge they sound real fragile or "papery".
    The sweet spot at least for me is pitching the mic at an angle almost parallel to the steep angle of the cone dead in the middle (between the center cap and surround) of the cone. It kind of smooths out the over aggressiveness. I find it has a real narrow area for sound capture without some adjustments to your mic'ing technique. You get too far out of that zone, and the sound falls off dramatically even with inches to spare toward the edge of the cone.
    I know later models changed somewhat, but these originals.....Good for jamming or moderate volume, but push them and they present a unique array of issues.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by we die young View Post
    That actually happens a lot. in the store I used to work at as a kid, we got burned on a few cabs that came in and we'd put up for sale.
    One in particular was a classic purple Tolex Marshall straight cab that was in great condition, no tears or typical road wear. So our manager was just ready to chomp at the bit and gave the guy 6 or 7 hundred bucks (this was 15-20 years ago) because of it being so nice.
    Well, he ended up playing it after we closed; something he shoulda done when it came in. It sounded absolutely horrible. we opened it up and it was a horror show. The two top speakers were mismatched Fenders, and the bottom had one wasted dead Celestion (probably the original) and one no name labeled "75w. Alnico" if memory serves.
    We had a few other come in that had mods like stereo pair splits, of course different speakers etc. and most often they would sound pretty good.
    I actually have one of those old cabs now...a 60's Hiwatt. It's has some very worn Fane's in it, but I've been trying some different ones out that will sound at home. It's a massively thick cab and weighs a ton but it's got some real bottom end to it, so finding a balance is much trickier than a typical 1960 Marshall cab.

I agree with you on the Peavey Sheffield's. They are like ray guns with their directionality. I hate those things live, and mic'ing them is a whole other adventure if you're trying to get the exact sound you want, at least with SM57's.
    They sound either too sharp if you mic head on, even away from the center, and if you go closer to the middle/ outer edge they sound real fragile or "papery".
    The sweet spot at least for me is pitching the mic at an angle almost parallel to the steep angle of the cone dead in the middle (between the center cap and surround) of the cone. It kind of smooths out the over aggressiveness. I find it has a real narrow area for sound capture without some adjustments to your mic'ing technique. You get too far out of that zone, and the sound falls off dramatically even with inches to spare toward the edge of the cone.
    I know later models changed somewhat, but these originals.....Good for jamming or moderate volume, but push them and they present a unique array of issues.
    you nailed it dude
    i tend to sit in front of the amp when i play and when i did it sounded wayyy too sharp (i once owned a white evh halfstack stock speakers) i thought to myself this cab is terrible. i kept procrastinating to open it up and see what's inside and well my jaw dropped and loaded with rage with what i saw in there.
    GuitarCenter needs a much more strict protocol buying this trash in.
    they have a white evh halfstack in hollywood that is physically, raped; for a lack of words. the amp hasn't even been out for that long and it looks like hell already. missing the striped grill and all the EVH and 5150 emblems.
    Insanity i tell you
    mind you, it looks like hell and for the cab they want 700 still
    and the head 1000
    insane

Eruption
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 10:33 PM
    Liked 266 Times in 142 Posts

Premium Member

If it makes you guys feel better, I saw two guitar thieves in cuffs in front of the GC in Scottsdale, AZ (actually on Salt River Indian Reservation) two mos. ago. I was there to buy a volume pot, parked my bike next to the cop's SUV. Cop asked me to give them some space and then brought two kids in cuffs over. Once inside the GC, their check-out clerk told me they will keep an eye out for stolen equipment if you give them a heads up. The rightful owner of these three guitars had done just that and so the GC called the cops as soon as these kids tried to hawk the stolen merchandise.

I bought an EBMM EVH at the GC in Hollywood in 1996 and they were very cool to me. I was there again three weeks ago and, while the place has changed a lot in 16 yrs., the people there were very nice.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

05.24.12 @ 02:37 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just bought a brand new sunburst EVH Wolfgang Special at Guitar Center of Hollywood and am very pleased with it. The salesman was very cool too. The guitar is simply amazing. . .in perfect condition and plays like a dream. Are the pickups considered to be very hot on this guitar?
    Last edited by deckard1; 05.04.12 at 06:11 PM.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by deckard1 View Post
    I just bought a brand new sunburst EVH Wolfgang Special at Guitar Center of Hollywood and am very pleased with it. The salesman was very cool too. The guitar is simply amazing. . .in perfect condition and plays like a dream. Are the pickups considered to be very hot on this guitar?
    i first had the stealth special and i noticed i had to turn up the volume a little more compared to my ebmm axis supersport
    and also i honestly couldn't tell the difference when i toggled to bridge to beck and vice versa
    so i sold it -___- bad mistake

they sure are nice when it comes to selling you something, but as soon as you walk out that door on a deal they get too rowdy.
    i usually get the stuff from this foreign guy. i forget his name but i really would love to hear em say "my-low-shhhh" like in borat haha
    anyway i scooped up another locally for the same price, it's on it's way here and they guy said it all checks out

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

05.24.12 @ 02:37 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i first had the stealth special and i noticed i had to turn up the volume a little more compared to my ebmm axis supersport
    and also i honestly couldn't tell the difference when i toggled to bridge to beck and vice versa
    so i sold it -___- bad mistake

they sure are nice when it comes to selling you something, but as soon as you walk out that door on a deal they get too rowdy.
    i usually get the stuff from this foreign guy. i forget his name but i really would love to hear em say "my-low-shhhh" like in borat haha
    anyway i scooped up another locally for the same price, it's on it's way here and they guy said it all checks out
    The guy I bought my guitar from at the Hollywood store was a foreing guy too. . .very cool.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by deckard1 View Post
    The guy I bought my guitar from at the Hollywood store was a foreing guy too. . .very cool.
    i find it much easier to haggle with that guy, short spikey-ish hair. The other day i was there trying to snag a wolfgang, he gave me my total then i BS'd how much i had and he gave me a lower price. then i told em i was gonna leave and then he lowered it more. i didn't take it, gotta control that impulsive spending.
    Since they work on commission they talk you into that pro coverage thats like 100+ bucks. i never get it because i tend to baby my stuff.

like today for example, someone local is selling a cab with 4 '78 rola celestion blackbacks all of em 8ohms but i passed for 300 bucks.

if anyone is interested let me know so i can snatch it for you.

here's the link:
    http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb...969232986.html