Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 11:35 AM
    Liked 460 Times in 200 Posts

Default Shredneck / just picked one up

well,

took a new job a month ago working nights and have a ton of free time but minimal space being that I am in a vehicle a lot of the time. I brought my guitar in the other night but trying to sit in the suburban playing the thing was next to impossible due to the space so I decided this am to give one of the "shred necks" a try. Just looking for something to practice with and pass the time. Looks pretty cool.... I mean comon its gotta be better than just sitting there right? ha ha..
    any of your guys tried one? I got the Zakk / bulleye version.

Rob

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

VHII
    Favorite VH Song

Light up the Sky
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 07:01 PM
    Liked 192 Times in 97 Posts

Is it any good? I have been curious about those. Thought about buying one to play on lunch breaks, etc.

Looks like a toy, wasn't sure about the usability
    ~ I like the way the line runs up the back of her stockings ~

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

not sure yet.... should be coming in the mail sometime this week. I saw some cool youtube vids and they show it as a neat little training unit for when space is cramped and you want to do some fingering, scales type practice. I think its going to be neat to mess around with while at work for a little bit. Gotta be better than twidling my thumbs... ha ha.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

VHII
    Favorite VH Song

Light up the Sky
    Last Online

I hear ya Rob. I look forward to your review. I haven't seen the youtube vids, I'll have to take a look. Still trying to wrap my head around how you play it. HA!

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

Well here is the vid that kinda sold me on the whole thing being that I sit in a vehicle 6 to 8 hours a night doing Security. I like it because it keeps you awake and more attentive than falling asleep and it appears to be kinda a skill building tool which is better than not doing anything. I dont know I will check it out when it comes in.

check out the vid,

Rob

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

VHII
    Favorite VH Song

Light up the Sky
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by 5150rob View Post
    Well here is the vid that kinda sold me on the whole thing being that I sit in a vehicle 6 to 8 hours a night doing Security. I like it because it keeps you awake and more attentive than falling asleep and it appears to be kinda a skill building tool which is better than not doing anything. I dont know I will check it out when it comes in.

check out the vid,

Rob

I'm not sure what to get. I may try to pick up a travel guitar like a Chiquita or something similar.

Last Online

12.13.17 @ 09:46 PM
    Liked 93 Times in 37 Posts

well,

took a new job a month ago working nights and have a ton of free time but minimal space being that I am in a vehicle a lot of the time. I brought my guitar in the other night but trying to sit in the suburban playing the thing was next to impossible due to the space so I decided this am to give one of the "shred necks" a try. Just looking for something to practice with and pass the time. Looks pretty cool.... I mean comon its gotta be better than just sitting there right? ha ha..

Rob
    Rob- I have to ask what type of guitar it is that you want to play while on duty at night. Is it some sort of baritone model or even larger? I'm trying to picture a guitar that won't fit inside of a Chevy or GMC Suburban. LMAO sorry... Don

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

ha ha... well believe it or not I had this one in there last week..... my faithful Steinberger GL2T (Eddie clone) trans trem...

still its a tight fit... ha ha..

Rob

Last Online

12.13.17 @ 09:46 PM
    Liked 93 Times in 37 Posts

ha ha... well believe it or not I had this one in there last week..... my faithful Steinberger GL2T (Eddie clone) trans trem...

still its a tight fit... ha ha..

Rob

Heck of a guitar for you to take to work! Aren't those worth a few K these days? I'd swear I saw one with its original finish on eBay for $4K, at least before the economy crashed. I was just bustin' your chops- obviously if you are working some sort of security detail they would probably frown upon you sitting in the middle row of the Suburban playing guitar all night.

Never understood why that bridge didn't take off like the Floyd Rose. I guess the special strings are still made for them. A number of years ago I had looked into getting one with the more conventional looking body (kind of a Strat-ish body with horns, M series?) that still came equipped with the trans trem.

Favorite VH Album

All of them. except for III
    Favorite VH Song

Currently: Six Pack
    Last Online

09.09.13 @ 02:35 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by donkost View Post
    Heck of a guitar for you to take to work! Aren't those worth a few K these days? I'd swear I saw one with its original finish on eBay for $4K, at least before the economy crashed. I was just bustin' your chops- obviously if you are working some sort of security detail they would probably frown upon you sitting in the middle row of the Suburban playing guitar all night.

Never understood why that bridge didn't take off like the Floyd Rose. I guess the special strings are still made for them. A number of years ago I had looked into getting one with the more conventional looking body (kind of a Strat-ish body with horns, M series?) that still came equipped with the trans trem.
    Man I would Love to get a guitar with a proper trans-trem, not the rubbish gibson is putting out today. I used to think that this would be the only way I could play Summer Nights... Then I saw the Morpheus Drop Tune and Capo Pedals (they really should be in just one pedal), and I think I'll pick those up at some point instead....

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by donkost View Post

ha ha... nor worries bro. Bust away.. ha ha. yeah they go for tons of cash these days. I have an original faceplate for it too so I can throw that on any time. I striped up this faceplate years ago because it was an extra I got on the bay. But yeah I baby the heck out of it when she hits the road thats for sure. As far as playing at work, at least it keeps me cognizant and not staring at the back of my eyelids all night... ha ha... but you are right, all in moderation.

anyways, got the shredneck in today. Will test out tonight and post tomorrow.

Rob
    Last edited by 5150rob; 05.01.12 at 02:35 PM.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

VHII
    Favorite VH Song

Light up the Sky
    Last Online

well,

Rob
    What are your first impressions?

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

Default my review on this

Quote Originally Posted by ScottyBHarris View Post
    What are your first impressions?
    well...... been messing with it for the last couple nights and I do like it. It certainly works for keeping your fingers limber and for doing tapping excersises as well as speed hammer on pull off runs. The picking on it is kind of "non productive" at least for me because you really cant pick correctly or efficiently on it even with the scalloped fret but you can work some picking runs up.

I guess my only complaint on it and I say this lightly because I knew this going into this is, you cant hear what your tapping, picking, hammer on'ing or pulling off to and that makes it tough because you cant really tell if your doing it cleanly or correctly. You can hear it but the notes dont play properly because the tuners on it dont tune, they just adjust string tension so to speak.

so in conclusion, yes its a nice little tool to work on riffs and technique when your sitting in a vehicle most of the night or I suppose on the couch and your only intent is to work some finger dexterity and run through some excersises. But I would not want to be stuck on an Island with it with no guitar for more than a few days or so. But yes its a nice little tool and I have to work with it a little more to see what other drills I can practice on it.

Rob

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

VHII
    Favorite VH Song

Light up the Sky
    Last Online

well...... been messing with it for the last couple nights and I do like it. It certainly works for keeping your fingers limber and for doing tapping excersises as well as speed hammer on pull off runs. The picking on it is kind of "non productive" at least for me because you really cant pick correctly or efficiently on it even with the scalloped fret but you can work some picking runs up.

I guess my only complaint on it and I say this lightly because I knew this going into this is, you cant hear what your tapping, picking, hammer on'ing or pulling off to and that makes it tough because you cant really tell if your doing it cleanly or correctly. You can hear it but the notes dont play properly because the tuners on it dont tune, they just adjust string tension so to speak.

so in conclusion, yes its a nice little tool to work on riffs and technique when your sitting in a vehicle most of the night or I suppose on the couch and your only intent is to work some finger dexterity and run through some excersises. But I would not want to be stuck on an Island with it with no guitar for more than a few days or so. But yes its a nice little tool and I have to work with it a little more to see what other drills I can practice on it.

Rob
    Nice review Rob. I didn't realize there was no tone to the fretted notes being played on the thing. How many frets does it have? is it easy to hold or do you use a strap?

Last Online

10.17.12 @ 03:50 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well that sounds pretty pointless, I thought they'd atleast be able to make a musical note.