All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.08.17 @ 09:52 PM
    Liked 352 Times in 181 Posts

Default ADKOT Tab book released

http://legacy.roadrunnerrecords.com/...sitemID=173123

Hallelujah. This will be a godsend for the musically challenged like myself.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 411 Times in 246 Posts

When it comes to VH a lot of tabs are completely unaccurate. Don't Ill be spending $21 on this.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:16 PM
    Liked 93 Times in 37 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Al Van Bundy View Post
    http://legacy.roadrunnerrecords.com/...sitemID=173123

Hallelujah. This will be a godsend for the musically challenged like myself.
    I just received this official ADKOT tab book, along with my shipment of the new 180 gram red vinyl double album (this thing is a work of art), the ADKOT promo sticker, and 1998 copy of The Inside magazine from Jeff. A very nice VH delivery from Mr. Postman. Also many thanks to Jeff at the VH store for getting the tab book in with the album shipping cost and throwing in those other cool items.

I'll say that the tab book appears to be very thorough. There are details on guitar tunings, type of effects used, etc. Several people have commented recently that modern tab books are pretty accurate because the musicians transposing have access to all of the software tools to slow down passages without affecting pitch and so on. I have these tools as well, along with a Tascam MP3 guitar trainer but I'm generally too lazy or too busy to use them. ha In the dark ages of the late 1970's I used to run my parent's console stereo turntable at 16 rpm speed in order to hear fast guitar passages better. Of course the pitch was roughly an octave lower as well.

I'm not going to have a chance to dig into it yet to evaluate accuracy, but depending on your budget I'll say purchasing this tab book wouldn't be the worst $19.95 you've ever spent.

Last Online

One more comment regarding the tab book. I had already figured out most of She's The Woman by ear a little while ago, except for a few little fills. Pretty hot little song but not bad at all to figure out. I can read musical notation, used to be quite good at sight reading/playing sheet music a long time ago, and I can still get by. I have compared the musical notation and tab portions (they are both in the book) for She's The Woman and it looks pretty damn accurate. For this song it was fairly easy to compare them in my head along with what I have already figured out. Don't ask me to do this with something like China Town though!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

11.25.15 @ 10:51 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It's only $14.95 on Amazon. Sweet!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.02.17 @ 07:05 AM
    Liked 199 Times in 105 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MF5150 View Post
    When it comes to VH a lot of tabs are completely unaccurate. Don't Ill be spending $21 on this.
    But it says "Authentic" up at the top!!!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

11.25.15 @ 10:51 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MF5150 View Post
    It's funny that you suggest the tabs will be wrong while simultaneously misspelling the word "inaccurate" and omitting the word "think" in your post.

I keed, I keed...

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Unchained"
    Last Online

09.15.17 @ 08:03 AM
    Liked 1,395 Times in 441 Posts

Tab books are not the word of god by any means. I have seen so many unbelievably ridiculous mistakes in so many tabs that at this point they are simply an aid to help learn the song. Also, if you happen to have been playing VH songs for 25 years, then you kind of already know what he's doing.

I have tons and tons of tab books. The worst ever tab -- besides several of "Eruption" -- was the intro to "Mean Street" -- the tab was absolutely useless and completely inaccurate. I had no choice but to just watch videos of Ed until I "got it". I find it bizarre that the "official" tab was so horrifically off.

I agree though -- $15 on the tab for ADKOT -- there's a lot dumber ways to burn $15 that's for sure.

KBD3

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Dodds View Post
    Tab books are not the word of god by any means. I have seen so many unbelievably ridiculous mistakes in so many tabs that at this point they are simply an aid to help learn the song. Also, if you happen to have been playing VH songs for 25 years, then you kind of already know what he's doing.

I have tons and tons of tab books. The worst ever tab -- besides several of "Eruption" -- was the intro to "Mean Street" -- the tab was absolutely useless and completely inaccurate. I had no choice but to just watch videos of Ed until I "got it". I find it bizarre that the "official" tab was so horrifically off.

I agree though -- $15 on the tab for ADKOT -- there's a lot dumber ways to burn $15 that's for sure.

KBD3
    Would you consider the "word of God" to be a good standard or a bad one to measure up against? Yep, been playing VH songs since the beginning, 34 years, so I have a fairly decent idea of what he's doing. Thing is, my fingers don't always want to seem to cooperate. I still mainly figure out things by ear, many times in my head without even picking up the guitar. I just figured the tab book would be a nice trinket to have from this stellar VH year of 2012. It really does look quite accurate though and at some point I want to give it a run for its money on some songs like As Is and China Town. The Amazon price is even better and any rabid VH fan / guitarist should pick up a copy.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, DDL, Dirty Movies
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 11:12 PM
    Liked 1,605 Times in 742 Posts

Premium Member

I dont think its available at Amazon for a few more weeks though... But, its only going to cost $10 postage to Australia instead of $35.... So, that makes me happy.
    If you have nothing nice to say about Eddie Van Halen, you're at the right website. - Me (A few years ago)

"People take Van Halen much more seriously than we do" - David Lee Roth (1980's)

"I don't sit on the end of your bed while you're trying to make a living" - David Lee Roth (1988)

"For some reason people love to complain about everything. The internet has made it easy for people to do that. Shut the fuck up and get a life, or show me how good you can do it."- Edward Van Halen

"A lot of people ask me which Van Halen singer was better. You can't compare them. It's like asking which guitarist is better. Nobody is better than anybody. Every player is their own person."-Edward Van Halen

"I do like Eddie Van Halen as a player. He gets it right quite often." -Paul McCartney

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 04:04 PM
    Liked 460 Times in 200 Posts

I got the tab book too. Mostly for collection purposes as I have all the VH tab books. You guys are 100% correct, after all these years of playing some of the books are so freakin far off its pathetic..... thing that surprises me is I can remember working on a VH song quite often through the years struggling through the tab books thinking, "damn this is freakin hard as hell.... how the hell does anyone do this?"
    then watching Ed on video do it and going, "man he is not even doing it that way at all" and come to find out what Ed is doing is so much easier than what the tab book says. Ed loves to pull off to open strings and a lot of the tab books dont replicate that at all. As far off as some of the tab books are, I must say I still pick them up every once in a while because sometimes I just cant hear what the hell he is doing and I need a baseline to at least see what the makeup of the notes he is playing is.... then I can decide to play it that way or maybe find an easier, more efficient way of doing it. But they have helped me out through the years here and there.
    I cant wait to see how they transcribe that little boogie riff Ed does in "As Is" thats for sure. Wonder if they pull off to open strings or do it the harder "pick more notes" approach.
    Rob

Top Of The World
    Last Online

06.01.14 @ 09:43 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

How's the tab for the main You And Your Blues riff? There are about half a dozen tabs for that circulating on the www but they're nothing like Ed was playing on the the Downtown Sessions DVD.

There are 100% accurate Guitar Pro tabs for She's The Woman and Outta Space out there, they're worth having.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:35 PM
    Liked 11,541 Times in 4,916 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vanCherone View Post
    How's the tab for the main You And Your Blues riff? There are about half a dozen tabs for that circulating on the www but they're nothing like Ed was playing on the the Downtown Sessions DVD.

There are 100% accurate Guitar Pro tabs for She's The Woman and Outta Space out there, they're worth having.
    There is one complete tab out there for YAYB and it looks like the riff is the way Ed is doing it. It also sounds right on too.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

02.13.16 @ 08:04 AM
    Liked 6 Times in 1 Post

Definitely will be getting the tab book. Great to see that VH Store has it already available whereas Amazon only ships May 13th.

However, here we come to the main drawback of VH Store in the last 2 years - international shipping. Comparison this time is:
    * VH Store: Tab book $19.95, shipping to Europe $34.03
    * Amazon: Tab book $14.95, shipping to Europe $7.98

Now, I'd be _very_ happy to pay the extra $5 to Jeff given his awesome contributions to the VH fan community. But the international shipping charge is just so ridiculous. Like I'm sure many others here, I used to buy tons of stuff from VH Store - but just can't do that any more. Please Jeff re-consider the international business set-up, there are tons of customers you could reach again.

Anyway, hopefully the book is relatively accurate and people can finally figure out how to play some of the tougher songs like As Is and all the great solos in Big River, B&F, Stay Frosty, etc.
    My Van Halen Concerts:
    1993 - Stockholm, Sweden
    1995 - London, UK
    1998 - Melbourne, Australia
    2004 - Toronto, Canada
    2007 - Greensboro, NC
    2012 - Chicago, IL
    2015 - Holmdel, NJ

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

01.29.13 @ 07:41 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PanamaHat View Post
    Definitely will be getting the tab book. Great to see that VH Store has it already available whereas Amazon only ships May 13th.

However, here we come to the main drawback of VH Store in the last 2 years - international shipping. Comparison this time is:
    * VH Store: Tab book $19.95, shipping to Europe $34.03
    * Amazon: Tab book $14.95, shipping to Europe $7.98

Now, I'd be _very_ happy to pay the extra $5 to Jeff given his awesome contributions to the VH fan community. But the international shipping charge is just so ridiculous. Like I'm sure many others here, I used to buy tons of stuff from VH Store - but just can't do that any more. Please Jeff re-consider the international business set-up, there are tons of customers you could reach again.

Anyway, hopefully the book is relatively accurate and people can finally figure out how to play some of the tougher songs like As Is and all the great solos in Big River, B&F, Stay Frosty, etc.
    The international shipping charge is indeed ridiculous. Like you, I used to but a lot of stuff from the VH Store and now because of the international shipping charge I buy nothing.