Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register

Thread: Wolfies Bass

On Fire
    Last Online

05.29.12 @ 09:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Wolfies Bass

Forgive me if this has been discussed, but from a non musicians point of view his bass kicks ass. Love that it is not 10 feet long and produces awesome tone. Also like the homage he plays to his Dad with the striping. If he is able to get that kind of sound from a much shorter and better looking bass, why are all other basses so damn long? Never enjoyed watching bass playing because of how ugly the instrument is. Don't get me wrong, I love a hard driving thumping bass, just don't like the look of it.

So for you musicians, if you can het that sound from a killer looking bass like Wolfies, why are all others 10 feet long?

On Fire
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Forgive the typos. Still figuring out this iPhone

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:41 PM
    Liked 199 Times in 105 Posts

Do you tell your significant other that you have a 10 foot dick?
    My P-bass is about a headstock length longer than my small Washburn n2 guitar.

Short scale have a different sound, use different strings, are easier to play with shorter fingers. Other than that, it's just preference.
    Last edited by sinner's swing; 04.25.12 at 08:54 PM.

On Fire
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

[QUOTE=sinner's swing;1514070]Do you tell your significant other that you have a 10 foot dick?

Damn straight. She has eyes. The problem was convincing her 7 inches is really 10 feet. No rulers or tape measures in our house. Lol

On the bass issue, then why don't we see more of that style of bass? Do people prefer playing such a big instrument (like my wife ) or feel it is easier to play!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:41 PM
    Liked 199 Times in 105 Posts

[QUOTE=Destructo2;1514098]
    Quote Originally Posted by sinner's swing View Post
    Do you tell your significant other that you have a 10 foot dick?

Damn straight. She has eyes. The problem was convincing her 7 inches is really 10 feet. No rulers or tape measures in our house. Lol

On the bass issue, then why don't we see more of that style of bass? Do people prefer playing such a big instrument (like my wife ) or feel it is easier to play!

I guess some people say that because the frets are closer together, they're easier to play. I've only tried them unplugged in the store but they seem a little tighter and punchier. Google says the short scale bass was most popular in the 60's. Sir Paul played one in the Beatles as well as quite a few others.

Last Online

12.14.17 @ 09:23 PM
    Liked 93 Times in 37 Posts

The biggest change to Wolfgang's tone on this tour is that he is actually playing through a monster of a bass rig. He's using what appears to be the Fender Bassman Pro plus some 4 x 10 cabs and assorted other heads and cabs. Frankly I think the rest of those items on Wolfgang's side are just Ed's traveling EVH guitar amp display. I read somewhere that some of his clean tone is coming through those other heads and cabs. Heard the tech playing through his rig before the AC show and the tone is huge, plus he's blending in some distortion to fill things up a little better. Of course on Ed's side he has that wall of 5150 III heads and cabs and only three of the bottom cabs are used (the ones which are miked) and none of the double stacked heads (real heads are offstage). Ed's Cafe Wha? stage rig was the real deal due to lack of space on that stage, those are the only things he really plays through.

Last tour I read Wolfgang was playing through a vintage Sound City 200 guitar head plus an EVH 4 x 12 guitar cab which was miked through the PA mains. To me his bass tone lacked any distinction on the last tour, it was just a muddy mess. I don't know how it would have sounded otherwise going through the cab with those low wattage Celestions. I also read they used a variac on the Sound City 200 head so it wouldn't blow out the speakers in the EVH III cab. A strange live bass rig for sure...
    Last edited by donkost; 04.26.12 at 12:35 AM.