Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
  1. #1
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    01.29.02
    Age
    49
    Location
    somewhere over the rainbow
    Posts
    22,957
    Last Online

    05.16.18 @ 11:48 AM
    Likes
    864
    Liked 1,240 Times in 454 Posts

    Atheist group demands Rhode Island city remove cross from atop war memorial



    A national atheist organization is demanding that a Rhode Island city remove a cross from a 91-year-old memorial honoring hometown soldiers who paid the ultimate sacrifice for their county.

    Although the memorial has stood in the parking lot of the Woonsocket fire station for decades with no complaints, the Freedom from Religion Foundation is now calling for it to be stripped of the cross that sits atop it, claiming it violates the First Amendment's freedom of religion clause. The group also wants the Woonsocket Fire Department to remove “The Firefighter’s Prayer” and a picture of an angel from its website.

    "We ask that you immediately remove the cross from the Fire Station parking lot and remove the prayer and angel from the Woonsocket Fire Department website," the foundation's senior staff attorney, Rebecca Market, wrote in a letter to Woonsocket officials.

    The memorial was erected nearly a century ago to honor the city's war dead, including three brothers killed in World War I. Mayor Leo Fontaine told the Woonsocket Call he will not remove the cross "under any circumstances."

    Tom Poole, a disabled veteran, is one of many former soldiers in Woonsocket trying to protect the memorial cross, MyFoxBoston.com reports.

    Roger Jalette, a longtime Woonsocket City Councilor, told FOX 25 that it could cost hundreds of thousands of dollars to fight the group in court. The city is currently facing the possibility of bankruptcy and does not necessarily have the money to fight this battle.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

  2. #2
    Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    06.05.03
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    14,869
    Last Online

    05.22.18 @ 03:43 PM
    Likes
    996
    Liked 3,566 Times in 2,094 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    As an atheist, I still can't figure out these activists. They annoy the shit out of me. Penn Gillette I like because he is informative and he's not really actively trying to convert believers into non-believers.

    Me? I'm an atheist and i don't give a shit. A cross at a fire station is not an establishment of religion.

  3. #3
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    10.11.09
    Posts
    11,694
    Last Online

    05.22.18 @ 05:18 PM
    Likes
    735
    Liked 1,855 Times in 1,248 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by voivod View Post


    A national atheist organization is demanding that a Rhode Island city remove a cross from a 91-year-old memorial honoring hometown soldiers who paid the ultimate sacrifice for their county.

    Although the memorial has stood in the parking lot of the Woonsocket fire station for decades with no complaints, the Freedom from Religion Foundation is now calling for it to be stripped of the cross that sits atop it, claiming it violates the First Amendment's freedom of religion clause. The group also wants the Woonsocket Fire Department to remove “The Firefighter’s Prayer” and a picture of an angel from its website.

    "We ask that you immediately remove the cross from the Fire Station parking lot and remove the prayer and angel from the Woonsocket Fire Department website," the foundation's senior staff attorney, Rebecca Market, wrote in a letter to Woonsocket officials.

    The memorial was erected nearly a century ago to honor the city's war dead, including three brothers killed in World War I. Mayor Leo Fontaine told the Woonsocket Call he will not remove the cross "under any circumstances."

    Tom Poole, a disabled veteran, is one of many former soldiers in Woonsocket trying to protect the memorial cross, MyFoxBoston.com reports.

    Roger Jalette, a longtime Woonsocket City Councilor, told FOX 25 that it could cost hundreds of thousands of dollars to fight the group in court. The city is currently facing the possibility of bankruptcy and does not necessarily have the money to fight this battle.
    These people are just as bad as the Westboro Church people. You don't like it? Move the fuck on. Don't these losers have anything better to do?

    I'm sick to death of progressive liberals.

  4. #4
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    10.11.09
    Posts
    11,694
    Last Online

    05.22.18 @ 05:18 PM
    Likes
    735
    Liked 1,855 Times in 1,248 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by voivod View Post


    A national atheist organization is demanding that a Rhode Island city remove a cross from a 91-year-old memorial honoring hometown soldiers who paid the ultimate sacrifice for their county.

    Although the memorial has stood in the parking lot of the Woonsocket fire station for decades with no complaints, the Freedom from Religion Foundation is now calling for it to be stripped of the cross that sits atop it, claiming it violates the First Amendment's freedom of religion clause. The group also wants the Woonsocket Fire Department to remove “The Firefighter’s Prayer” and a picture of an angel from its website.

    "We ask that you immediately remove the cross from the Fire Station parking lot and remove the prayer and angel from the Woonsocket Fire Department website," the foundation's senior staff attorney, Rebecca Market, wrote in a letter to Woonsocket officials.

    The memorial was erected nearly a century ago to honor the city's war dead, including three brothers killed in World War I. Mayor Leo Fontaine told the Woonsocket Call he will not remove the cross "under any circumstances."

    Tom Poole, a disabled veteran, is one of many former soldiers in Woonsocket trying to protect the memorial cross, MyFoxBoston.com reports.

    Roger Jalette, a longtime Woonsocket City Councilor, told FOX 25 that it could cost hundreds of thousands of dollars to fight the group in court. The city is currently facing the possibility of bankruptcy and does not necessarily have the money to fight this battle.
    Did you notice that one of these people is Ronald Reagan's son?

    http://ffrf.org/day/view/05/20/#ron-reagan


  5. #5
    Atomic Punk LLFHS's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.08.04
    Location
    Secret Witness Protection Location
    Posts
    31,731
    Favorite VH Album

    Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

    Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

    05.12.18 @ 06:53 PM
    Likes
    34
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    As an atheist, I still can't figure out these activists. They annoy the shit out of me. Penn Gillette I like because he is informative and he's not really actively trying to convert believers into non-believers.

    Me? I'm an atheist and i don't give a shit. A cross at a fire station is not an establishment of religion.
    This.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

    [sigpic][/sigpic]


    Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

  6. #6
    Good Enough The J Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.15.06
    Age
    29
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    2,559
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Sinner's Swing!/Little Guitars
    Last Online

    06.13.16 @ 03:44 PM
    Likes
    2
    Liked 28 Times in 15 Posts

    Default

    I fail to see how anyone is furiously angry over this. Its intent is not to harm or offend people and anyone with common sense can see that--or at least I thought so.

  7. #7
    Good Enough ignorance_is_bliss's Avatar
    Join Date
    04.26.10
    Age
    33
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    2,008
    Favorite VH Album

    Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

    TIE! Humans Being and HAIL
    Last Online

    09.07.17 @ 08:37 PM
    Likes
    9
    Liked 90 Times in 37 Posts

    Default

    Remove a cross from a memorial of those who died in war?

    What's next? Changing every single grave of unidentified soldiers, sailors and airmen so it doesn't say "Known Unto God"?

    I'm not a religous man so I don't have anything to say about that but what I do say is this - One shouldn't mess with war memorials. It just shouldn't be done.

    There are so many other problems in the world that quibbling over a cross on a memorial for our honoured dead is just petty.

  8. #8
    Baluchitherium Ted Van Halen's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.07.04
    Age
    49
    Location
    All up in there
    Posts
    4,788
    Favorite VH Album

    Pirates of the Carribean
    Favorite VH Song

    How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

    05.22.18 @ 04:28 PM
    Likes
    2,696
    Liked 2,009 Times in 1,058 Posts


    Premium Member

    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The J Man View Post
    I fail to see how anyone is furiously angry over this. Its intent is not to harm or offend people and anyone with common sense can see that--or at least I thought so.
    Common sense ain't that common anymore.
    -TVH-


    If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine


    What is government itself but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? - James Madison


    Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian. - Henry Ford

  9. #9
    Atomic Punk Dave's Dreidel's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.10.05
    Age
    47
    Location
    P.F. Chang, South Korea
    Posts
    40,635
    Favorite VH Album

    Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

    The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

    05.22.18 @ 04:53 PM
    Likes
    3,995
    Liked 20,508 Times in 10,208 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    I thought the whole point of being an atheist was that this kind of stuff wouldn't bother you.

    If you are confident in your beliefs, why should a cross on a grave site/memorial offend you?

    People have a lot of fucking time on their hands, which would be better spent, I don't know, maybe fucking.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

    Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

    David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

    A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

    Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

  10. #10
    Atomic Punk LLFHS's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.08.04
    Location
    Secret Witness Protection Location
    Posts
    31,731
    Favorite VH Album

    Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

    Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

    05.12.18 @ 06:53 PM
    Likes
    34
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    I thought the whole point of being an atheist was that this kind of stuff wouldn't bother you.
    The exact reason I am an atheist. What someone else believes is none of my concern. It's a little different when Rick "Jesus Jr." Santorum is trying to shoehorn his beliefs into public policy, which would affect every American's life, but this is a memorial to people braver than I who gave their lives so I could even express myself the way I am now.

    This "Freedom from Religion Organization" is no better than the overzealous bible-thumping groups they probably cite as reason for their formation. Buncha butt-hurting dorks that I refuse to acknowledge as 'atheist'.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

    [sigpic][/sigpic]


    Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

  11. #11
    Hang 'Em High
    Join Date
    06.17.03
    Age
    30
    Location
    New Brunswick Canada
    Posts
    6,994
    Favorite VH Album

    You name it
    Favorite VH Song

    See above
    Last Online

    05.21.18 @ 03:09 PM
    Likes
    319
    Liked 234 Times in 169 Posts

    Default

    This is retarded, the cross is as much a symbol of human compassion and mortality as it is a sign of Christ these days. I'm not the least bit religious, but this is just dumb.

  12. #12
    Atomic Punk MF5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    06.05.04
    Age
    29
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    16,399
    Favorite VH Album

    Balance
    Favorite VH Song

    Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

    05.22.18 @ 02:58 PM
    Likes
    314
    Liked 453 Times in 278 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post

    People have a lot of fucking time on their hands, which would be better spent, I don't know, maybe fucking.
    That's it right there. Too much fuckin time.

    If you're an atheist, you don't care that the cross is there. It's an animimate object. It's not imposing on anybody. To an atheist it means nothing. To others, believers it means something. A true atheist would understand and appreciate that.

    People honestly need to find activities to fill their daily schedules. I recommend building bunk beds. Why?

    More room for activities.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

  13. #13
    Wear the fox hat... Filthy 150's Avatar
    Join Date
    10.13.03
    Location
    Right here.
    Posts
    4,121
    Favorite VH Album

    5150
    Favorite VH Song

    Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

    04.30.18 @ 11:15 AM
    Likes
    31
    Liked 17 Times in 10 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    As an atheist, I still can't figure out these activists. They annoy the shit out of me. Penn Gillette I like because he is informative and he's not really actively trying to convert believers into non-believers.

    Me? I'm an atheist and i don't give a shit. A cross at a fire station is not an establishment of religion.
    Thank you.

    These type of people drive me nuts. They seem to belive that if something offends them then they are entitled to have it done away with. Well...THEY offend me. I am not demanding that the be exterminated.
    "Here's to swimmin' with bow legged women."
    Quint- Boat Captain
    --------------------------------------------------


    "As God as my witness...I thought turkeys could fly"
    Arthur Carlson- Radio Station GM
    --------------------------------------------------


    "I think you're all fucked in the head. We're ten hours from the fucking fun park, and you wanna bail out! Well, I'll tell you something, this is no longer a vacation . . . it's a quest! It's a quest for fun! I'm gonna have fun, and you're gonna have fun! We're all gonna have so much fucking fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our Goddamn smiles! You'll be whistling Zip-a-dee-doo-da out of your assholes! "
    Clark W. Griswold- Food Additive Designer
    ---------------------------------------------------


    VIVA TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND!
    Round I = Done!
    Round II = Done!
    Round III = Done!
    Round IV = Done!
    Round V = Done!
    Round VI = Done!
    Round VII = Done!
    Round VIII = Done!

  14. #14
    Good Enough JakeK21's Avatar
    Join Date
    08.05.11
    Age
    24
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,288
    Favorite VH Album

    All of them
    Favorite VH Song

    There's just too many
    Last Online

    10.26.15 @ 11:38 AM
    Likes
    124
    Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MF5150 View Post
    That's it right there. Too much fuckin time.

    If you're an atheist, you don't care that the cross is there. It's an animimate object. It's not imposing on anybody. To an atheist it means nothing. To others, believers it means something. A true atheist would understand and appreciate that.

    People honestly need to find activities to fill their daily schedules. I recommend building bunk beds. Why?

    More room for activities.
    YES! Step Brothers reference! Love that movie thanks to my European History teacher.



    I'm an Atheist as well and I honestly don't have any problem with the cross. Atheist groups should only be concerned with issues where religion starts being shoved down people's throats whether it's in politics, public schools, etc.

  15. #15
    Atomic Punk LLFHS's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.08.04
    Location
    Secret Witness Protection Location
    Posts
    31,731
    Favorite VH Album

    Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

    Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

    05.12.18 @ 06:53 PM
    Likes
    34
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JakeK21 View Post

    I'm an Atheist as well and I honestly don't have any problem with the cross. Atheist groups should only be concerned with issues where religion starts being shoved down people's throats whether it's in politics, public schools, etc.
    The very idea of 'atheist groups' has always confounded me. I don't even care what other atheists think. I don't seek them out. I just discovered one of my co-workers is one too.
    That was weeks ago and it's not like we did the secret handshake, decided to go to lunch and go into some kind of lengthy talk about believing in nothing. I just said, 'hey, cool' and went on with my day.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

    [sigpic][/sigpic]


    Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Rhode Island Outraged Over “Holiday Tree”
    By voivod in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 12.05.11, 10:13 AM
  2. Group Demands Obama Provide 'Safe Passage' for Illegals
    By voivod in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 07.29.10, 11:29 AM
  3. Rhode Island OKs teen strippers...
    By voivod in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 07.24.09, 08:19 AM
  4. Ex-Band Manager Gets Four Years in Prison for Rhode Island Nightclub Fire
    By voivod in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 02.17.09, 06:28 AM
  5. Tragedy in Rhode Island
    By Grover in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02.21.03, 07:32 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •