Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.07.17 @ 12:54 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Atheist group demands Rhode Island city remove cross from atop war memorial

A national atheist organization is demanding that a Rhode Island city remove a cross from a 91-year-old memorial honoring hometown soldiers who paid the ultimate sacrifice for their county.

Although the memorial has stood in the parking lot of the Woonsocket fire station for decades with no complaints, the Freedom from Religion Foundation is now calling for it to be stripped of the cross that sits atop it, claiming it violates the First Amendment's freedom of religion clause. The group also wants the Woonsocket Fire Department to remove “The Firefighter’s Prayer” and a picture of an angel from its website.

"We ask that you immediately remove the cross from the Fire Station parking lot and remove the prayer and angel from the Woonsocket Fire Department website," the foundation's senior staff attorney, Rebecca Market, wrote in a letter to Woonsocket officials.

The memorial was erected nearly a century ago to honor the city's war dead, including three brothers killed in World War I. Mayor Leo Fontaine told the Woonsocket Call he will not remove the cross "under any circumstances."

Tom Poole, a disabled veteran, is one of many former soldiers in Woonsocket trying to protect the memorial cross, MyFoxBoston.com reports.

Roger Jalette, a longtime Woonsocket City Councilor, told FOX 25 that it could cost hundreds of thousands of dollars to fight the group in court. The city is currently facing the possibility of bankruptcy and does not necessarily have the money to fight this battle.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 11:21 PM
    Liked 3,107 Times in 1,819 Posts

Premium Member

As an atheist, I still can't figure out these activists. They annoy the shit out of me. Penn Gillette I like because he is informative and he's not really actively trying to convert believers into non-believers.

Me? I'm an atheist and i don't give a shit. A cross at a fire station is not an establishment of religion.

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 04:14 PM
    Liked 1,471 Times in 1,002 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by voivod View Post

A national atheist organization is demanding that a Rhode Island city remove a cross from a 91-year-old memorial honoring hometown soldiers who paid the ultimate sacrifice for their county.

Although the memorial has stood in the parking lot of the Woonsocket fire station for decades with no complaints, the Freedom from Religion Foundation is now calling for it to be stripped of the cross that sits atop it, claiming it violates the First Amendment's freedom of religion clause. The group also wants the Woonsocket Fire Department to remove “The Firefighter’s Prayer” and a picture of an angel from its website.

"We ask that you immediately remove the cross from the Fire Station parking lot and remove the prayer and angel from the Woonsocket Fire Department website," the foundation's senior staff attorney, Rebecca Market, wrote in a letter to Woonsocket officials.

The memorial was erected nearly a century ago to honor the city's war dead, including three brothers killed in World War I. Mayor Leo Fontaine told the Woonsocket Call he will not remove the cross "under any circumstances."

Tom Poole, a disabled veteran, is one of many former soldiers in Woonsocket trying to protect the memorial cross, MyFoxBoston.com reports.

Roger Jalette, a longtime Woonsocket City Councilor, told FOX 25 that it could cost hundreds of thousands of dollars to fight the group in court. The city is currently facing the possibility of bankruptcy and does not necessarily have the money to fight this battle.
    These people are just as bad as the Westboro Church people. You don't like it? Move the fuck on. Don't these losers have anything better to do?

I'm sick to death of progressive liberals.

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 04:14 PM
    Liked 1,471 Times in 1,002 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by voivod View Post

Did you notice that one of these people is Ronald Reagan's son?

http://ffrf.org/day/view/05/20/#ron-reagan

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    As an atheist, I still can't figure out these activists. They annoy the shit out of me. Penn Gillette I like because he is informative and he's not really actively trying to convert believers into non-believers.

Me? I'm an atheist and i don't give a shit. A cross at a fire station is not an establishment of religion.
    This.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Sinner's Swing!/Little Guitars
    Last Online

06.13.16 @ 04:44 PM
    Liked 28 Times in 15 Posts

I fail to see how anyone is furiously angry over this. Its intent is not to harm or offend people and anyone with common sense can see that--or at least I thought so.

Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

TIE! Humans Being and HAIL
    Last Online

09.07.17 @ 09:37 PM
    Liked 90 Times in 37 Posts

Remove a cross from a memorial of those who died in war?

What's next? Changing every single grave of unidentified soldiers, sailors and airmen so it doesn't say "Known Unto God"?

I'm not a religous man so I don't have anything to say about that but what I do say is this - One shouldn't mess with war memorials. It just shouldn't be done.

There are so many other problems in the world that quibbling over a cross on a memorial for our honoured dead is just petty.

Favorite VH Album

Pirates of the Carribean
    Favorite VH Song

How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:45 PM
    Liked 1,623 Times in 870 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by The J Man View Post
    I fail to see how anyone is furiously angry over this. Its intent is not to harm or offend people and anyone with common sense can see that--or at least I thought so.
    Common sense ain't that common anymore.
    -TVH-

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine

What is government itself but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? - James Madison

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian. - Henry Ford

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 04:41 PM
    Liked 18,050 Times in 8,921 Posts

I thought the whole point of being an atheist was that this kind of stuff wouldn't bother you.

If you are confident in your beliefs, why should a cross on a grave site/memorial offend you?

People have a lot of fucking time on their hands, which would be better spent, I don't know, maybe fucking.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

Donor

I thought the whole point of being an atheist was that this kind of stuff wouldn't bother you.
    The exact reason I am an atheist. What someone else believes is none of my concern. It's a little different when Rick "Jesus Jr." Santorum is trying to shoehorn his beliefs into public policy, which would affect every American's life, but this is a memorial to people braver than I who gave their lives so I could even express myself the way I am now.

This "Freedom from Religion Organization" is no better than the overzealous bible-thumping groups they probably cite as reason for their formation. Buncha butt-hurting dorks that I refuse to acknowledge as 'atheist'.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

You name it
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:06 AM
    Liked 226 Times in 162 Posts

This is retarded, the cross is as much a symbol of human compassion and mortality as it is a sign of Christ these days. I'm not the least bit religious, but this is just dumb.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 411 Times in 246 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post

People have a lot of fucking time on their hands, which would be better spent, I don't know, maybe fucking.
    That's it right there. Too much fuckin time.

If you're an atheist, you don't care that the cross is there. It's an animimate object. It's not imposing on anybody. To an atheist it means nothing. To others, believers it means something. A true atheist would understand and appreciate that.

People honestly need to find activities to fill their daily schedules. I recommend building bunk beds. Why?

More room for activities.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

10.16.17 @ 11:43 AM
    Liked 17 Times in 10 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post

Thank you.

These type of people drive me nuts. They seem to belive that if something offends them then they are entitled to have it done away with. Well...THEY offend me. I am not demanding that the be exterminated.
    "Here's to swimmin' with bow legged women."
    Quint- Boat Captain
    --------------------------------------------------

"As God as my witness...I thought turkeys could fly"
    Arthur Carlson- Radio Station GM
    --------------------------------------------------

"I think you're all fucked in the head. We're ten hours from the fucking fun park, and you wanna bail out! Well, I'll tell you something, this is no longer a vacation . . . it's a quest! It's a quest for fun! I'm gonna have fun, and you're gonna have fun! We're all gonna have so much fucking fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our Goddamn smiles! You'll be whistling Zip-a-dee-doo-da out of your assholes! "
    Clark W. Griswold- Food Additive Designer
    ---------------------------------------------------

VIVA TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND!
    Round I = Done!
    Round II = Done!
    Round III = Done!
    Round IV = Done!
    Round V = Done!
    Round VI = Done!
    Round VII = Done!
    Round VIII = Done!

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

There's just too many
    Last Online

10.26.15 @ 12:38 PM
    Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MF5150 View Post
    That's it right there. Too much fuckin time.

If you're an atheist, you don't care that the cross is there. It's an animimate object. It's not imposing on anybody. To an atheist it means nothing. To others, believers it means something. A true atheist would understand and appreciate that.

People honestly need to find activities to fill their daily schedules. I recommend building bunk beds. Why?

More room for activities.
    YES! Step Brothers reference! Love that movie thanks to my European History teacher.

I'm an Atheist as well and I honestly don't have any problem with the cross. Atheist groups should only be concerned with issues where religion starts being shoved down people's throats whether it's in politics, public schools, etc.

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by JakeK21 View Post

I'm an Atheist as well and I honestly don't have any problem with the cross. Atheist groups should only be concerned with issues where religion starts being shoved down people's throats whether it's in politics, public schools, etc.
    The very idea of 'atheist groups' has always confounded me. I don't even care what other atheists think. I don't seek them out. I just discovered one of my co-workers is one too.
    That was weeks ago and it's not like we did the secret handshake, decided to go to lunch and go into some kind of lengthy talk about believing in nothing. I just said, 'hey, cool' and went on with my day.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]