Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

All of them
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was just curious...how many of you have actually met members of Van Halen before?

Fortunately, I've been lucky enough to have met every member of the band, from all three eras.

The stories would take too long to type, but I'll say this: my biggest fear before I ever met any of them was that they would be complete assholes. I had them on such a high pedestal that it would have been a huge letdown if they were jerks.

Amazingly enough, on every single occassion (of which there have been about a dozen) they have all been very, very cool. Very humble, polite and patient.

Out of all of them, Dave was the one who was the least receptive, but he was still kind enough to chat for a minute and take a picture.

Out of the six of them, Sammy and Gary were far and away the coolest. Sammy would go out of his way - even holding up the rest of the band - to chat for a few minutes and take pictures.....

I'd love to hear any other stories about meeting someone from the band.......
    "What's the teacher gonna look like this year?"<br /><br />"Fuck her!"

Top Of The World
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 05:04 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Shortest thread of all time...........

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Jump
    Last Online

05.03.13 @ 05:38 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

LOL!
    Minnesota Vikings KICK ASS!!!! All other teams get their water.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Right Now
    Last Online

01.30.06 @ 10:11 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Picasso Brother #1:
    I was just curious...how many of you have actually met members of Van Halen before?

Fortunately, I've been lucky enough to have met every member of the band, from all three eras.

The stories would take too long to type, but I'll say this: my biggest fear before I ever met any of them was that they would be complete assholes. I had them on such a high pedestal that it would have been a huge letdown if they were jerks.

Amazingly enough, on every single occassion (of which there have been about a dozen) they have all been very, very cool. Very humble, polite and patient.

Out of all of them, Dave was the one who was the least receptive, but he was still kind enough to chat for a minute and take a picture.

Out of the six of them, Sammy and Gary were far and away the coolest. Sammy would go out of his way - even holding up the rest of the band - to chat for a few minutes and take pictures.....

I'd love to hear any other stories about meeting someone from the band.......
    I met Sammy back in 2000 when I was in Cabo. Talked for about 10 minutes, got VIP passes, got things signed etc. Sammy really is a nice guy! No bad attitude at all! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    I hope I'm lucky again this year!

PEACE! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    "You go there once, you'll be there twice" CABO WABO!

Favorite VH Album

"Fair Warning" & "OU812"
    Favorite VH Song

"Romeo Delight" & "Cabo Wabo"
    Last Online

09.21.15 @ 04:44 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Been there, explained that.

Kokusai Center. Fukuoka, Japan 1998. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

VIP treatment. Japanese security kissed our asses the entire night. Photos were taken. Free tour merchandise (about $250 worth!) from Scotty Ross after the gig. It's forever burned into my memory.

[ September 19, 2002, 11:04 PM: Message edited by: Vince G. ]
    "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."

"This is a lttle prayer dedicated to the separation of church and state. I guess if they are going to force those kids to pray in schools they might as well have a nice prayer like this: Our Father who art in heaven, and to the republic for which it stands, thy kingdom come, one nation indivisible as in heaven, give us this day as we forgive those who so proudly we hail. Crown thy good into temptation but deliver us from the twilight's last gleaming. Amen and Awomen. ."

"I think it's the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."

-George Carlin 1937 - 2008

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well, me and two friends of mine got to meet Sammy. It was for the F.U.C.K. tour in Austin, TX. We saw his limo pull up to the front of the hotel and started to make our way over to meet him(rumor had it that the brothers & Mikey had already gotten there earlier). As we approached him his body guard quickly ran up to us and stops us dead in our tracks. We said wtf we just wanted to me Sammy man! Sammy saw all this and yelled at the body guard to let us pass. He said”hey these are our fans and without them we are shit so let them get over here”. He apologized for there actions and we talked for about 15 minutes or so. He then invited us to join him in the hotel bar in about an hour. So we tried to get into the hotel but then the night manager wouldn’t let us hang out unless we where a guest of the hotel. We told them ‘hey Sammy said we could join them’ . But the manager wasn’t buying it. So we asked to book a room and there was a few available at $350 per-night , that was the cheapest room they had (it was the four seasons hotel). Shit we only had about $100 split 3 ways. By this time it was already 2am and we all decided to pick up some beer and drive back home, we live about an hour away. It was cool to meet Sammy, he seemed like a very cool guy who cares about his fans. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Last Online

11.12.17 @ 09:04 PM
    Liked 121 Times in 68 Posts

Donor

Sammy is all about the fans - just look at the interaction with them on the Sans Halen tour. Look at the free concert he did in New York. I've never met him, but I feel like I have just from the vibe he gives out. I've seen him four times (three solo) and he was great every time.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

03.29.15 @ 06:33 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have met them as a band a few times and then had the opportunity to hang out with Ed once and with Mike once on seperate occasions. Out of all of them, Sammy and Mike are the most congenial and genuine. Edward was more relaxed when it was not a band hang scene. When it was a small number of people, he really opened up. That was pretty cool.
    "I Got Myself a Brand New Oakland Scarf right here I say"

Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

strung out....
    Last Online

02.28.14 @ 07:54 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

met sam and ed ...in toronto..both really really nice..ed actually seemed kinda shy....maybe he was hungover...sam was quite hyper and had a permasmile on...maybe he just stayed drunk...avoid the hangover...lol

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 07:37 PM
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

Sammy; Very personable and friendly. (the guy you'd want to hang out with)
    Eddie: Cool guy, has a "fonzie-esque" vibe to him. Somewhat quiet.
    Alex: One smart man, also cooll like Ed but not as quiet.
    Mike: Very nice and "not stuck on himself"
    Dave: First impression was this guy is a fucking trip, then he seems to make you think he's rather be elsewhere. (the anti-Sammy, You would want to hang with him, but after a few minutes your wondering where you parked your car.)
    Gary: Nice man, exepts blame for VH3. AND NOT GAY!

[ September 20, 2002, 09:02 AM: Message edited by: Eddymon ]
    'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.29.17 @ 01:23 AM
    Liked 57 Times in 23 Posts

Originally posted by Eddymon:
    Gary: Nice man, exepts blame for VH3. AND NOT GAY!
    How do you know?? Did he knock you back?

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

06.22.15 @ 03:18 PM
    Liked 12 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

I met them on the Balance Tour. When my turn came up, I went straight to Ed, who was far more "rock star" than I figured he would be..

I had brought a copy of Tony Levin's album World Diary for him and when I gave it to him he acted like I was handing him my demo or something. I explained it was the new Levin record and he just kind of seemed caught off guard. He raised his glasses and just kind of became super real all of the sudden and thanked me profusely. Then they took the picture and were kicking us out. I told him thank you for everything, and he just kind of smiled knowingly and said "see ya."

Then i went over to the corner and chain smoked 3 cigarettes.

It wasn't until I got the picture back that I realized Sammy had been on my other side with his hand on my shoulder. I didn't even acknowledge him. I'm sure he probably didn't care, but I felt pretty bad about it.

Probably thought I was a Rothtard...
    not another dime from me, fellas...

tinzen

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.23.17 @ 12:14 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts

Donor

maybe someday......yeah right!

Peace
    Orange whip?

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

All of them
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

To give you an example of how cool Sammy is:

Back in '95, VH had just flown into Memphis on their Gulfstream jet after playing in Moline, Illinois. It was about 3:00 in the morning, and obviously they were more than a little tired.

One by one, they came off the plane. Ed, Al and Mike just waved and went directly into the waiting limos. Sammy, however, looked over, told everybody else to "hang on a minute, let me go say hello to these guys".

He then proceeded to take several pictures with us, during which he joked that this was "the new Van Halen" (Sammy, myself and my two friends). He chatted for a couple more minutes before getting in the limo, and then gave us the "VH/peace/pussy" sign as they were driving off.

Most "rock stars" sure as hell wouldn't have taken the time - at 3:00 in the morning, after playing a show earlier and then travelling - to come over and visit with a few fans.

Like his music or not, like him with Van Halen or not, no one can accuse Sammy of not appreciating his fans...the guy is one cool cat....
    "What's the teacher gonna look like this year?"<br /><br />"Fuck her!"

Test5150
    Only met Mike and Eddie so far, but they were both cool as could be [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]