Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Romeo Delight
    Last Online

04.12.15 @ 12:42 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Default Ideas on Pickups

So i upgraded a squier that i saw at bestbuy i got it for like 100 bucks it came with a tremolo with pivot posts and well it's awesome.
    i upgraded tuners and removed the tuners and slapped on some schaller minis
    and also swapped electronics for a 1 vol 1 humbucker

THE point lol: I put in a pup from an invader i got from meanstreetguitars to me i don't think it picks up the highs so well and i'm curious which would sound good to run through a 5150 iii
    i know the franky pup is good but what other ones would you guys recommend?

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

01.16.16 @ 03:26 PM
    Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts

One low-cost thought could be Guitar Fetish's "VEH" ("Vintage Extra Hot") which is their version of a VH Frankenstein/Brown Sound pickup. They cost less than $50 I think. A couple guys at work love their stuff, but I've never played them.

I figure someone on here has certainly tried that VEH before.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

i wanna get a strat set of pick ups but at the same time i want to get a humbucker

VEH sounds good

(checkout the toneshaper thats the only reason i want to get a strat set of pickups, swapping pups is a breeze)

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Last Online

08.07.17 @ 08:14 PM
    Liked 313 Times in 149 Posts

Donor

I just got a new guitar and it has a Wolfetone Marshallhead... I love this pickup!!! It's only about 9k, but it's got an A5 magnet and it really does well with the early VH type of tones, Nugent, AC/DC, Maiden, Priest, Zep, etc... I've been playing a first year quilt Wolfgang up until now and after hearing the Wolfetone, it sounds more open, balanced, and uncompressed... If you don't like it, send it back and he'll re-wind it for ya!!! I've never heard any bad reviews on any of his stuff. Here's a link:

http://wolfetone.com/marshallhead.html#
    Jet City Super Stealth
    Marshall 50th Anniversary JCM-1H and Class 5 Combo
    Austin Speaker Works KTS-60

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by fast98dodge View Post
    I just got a new guitar and it has a Wolfetone Marshallhead... I love this pickup!!! It's only about 9k, but it's got an A5 magnet and it really does well with the early VH type of tones, Nugent, AC/DC, Maiden, Priest, Zep, etc... I've been playing a first year quilt Wolfgang up until now and after hearing the Wolfetone, it sounds more open, balanced, and uncompressed... If you don't like it, send it back and he'll re-wind it for ya!!! I've never heard any bad reviews on any of his stuff. Here's a link:

http://wolfetone.com/marshallhead.html#

just reading the description "P.A.F. says it all! I'll end up with this or an actual PAF lol

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Not the greatest pickup demo in the world, but here's the GFS VEH in a Strat-style guitar.

It really does the vintagey-but-still-really-hot-and-responsive thing well. Sorta gritty, some nice "keraaaangggg", but still not harsh or overly trebley. I like it. I'll probably be putting one in another guitar sometime in the near future. The 'amp' on that song was a Marshall Plexi model on the Eleven Rack, but I've also played through and recorded my Peavey 5150 and 5150 Combos to great success with this guitar and pickup.

I'll try to dig up an old recording with the VEH thru 5150 setup....
    Last edited by mrjstudios; 04.23.12 at 07:36 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Last Online

Donor

Just to let you know...

The pickup spacing is traditional PAF magnet spacing... Wolfe doesn't make them in a "F" type of spacing... I have a floyd setup and I don't think it makes any difference... At least I haven't noticed anything on either the really low or really high being hollow or thin... It sounds very full and articulate... Very balanced and open... I can't say enough how much I love this pickup...
    Jet City Super Stealth

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just found some VEH thru 5150 footage from ~2010.... I'm uploading it to Youtube right now....

BTW, fastdogde -- I really wanna hear that guitar of yours sing!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by mrjstudios; 04.23.12 at 08:12 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Any one of them will do...
    Last Online

08.16.13 @ 10:05 AM
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Well somebody had to do it. I guess I'll be the Seymour Duncan fanatic here.

A '78 model is one of my favorites for hard rock. It'll sound great through a 5150 III. A Custom Custom will nail any mid-80s Van Halen. (Think Fair Warning to LWAN tones) A JB gets you to virtually any hair metal sound of the 80s. The only thing is, you might have a little brightness with those pickups depending on your guitars bodywood. But if that's what you're lacking now then any of those pickups will round out your sound.

Cheers!
    Atomic Punk Guitars
    http://www.facebook.com/AtomicPunkGuitars

"Life is like music; sometimes it's the silence in between the notes that is most important..."

"I'd rather be a failure with my own music, than a success off of someone else's music..." - Edward Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Last Online

Donor

I'll get something up one of these days, mrj... I need to reformat my hard drive and reinstall everything... The computer is running slower than molasses at the South Pole...

Footnote, I actually had to turn DOWN the gain on my OD pedal after using this guitar/pickup combo... I would've thought I would need to add gain since it's a lower output pickup compared to my Wolfgang. It's got a nice bite, but not harsh... I'm very impressed with Wolfe's pickups. I don't really drink much these days but if I'm ever in Seattle and run into him, I'll gladly buy him a beer!!!
    Jet City Super Stealth

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ya, I agree -- not to confuse the OP, but I've been digging a guitar I have with a Duncan Custom Custom in it. Very VH sounding, and a little more smooth than the VEH (the VEH sounds more like Early VH, the Custom Custom sounds more like 1984, if that makes sense.)

There are really a lot of good choices for smokin' bridge pickups that would sound great into a 5150III.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Here's a little demo of the VEH into a 5150 during some of my band's rehearsals a few years ago:

One thing to consider is this: the VEH pickup is not any less good than the Duncan Custom Custom, or the '78, or the Franky Replica Pickup (I've played them all) -- they are all just different, quality pickups. You might find that the VEH works better than the '78 in certain guitars to nail the VH tone, and vice versa in other guitars. So even though there is a massive price difference between some of them, you won't necessarily be disappointed with the cheapest one, or the mid priced ones.
    Last edited by mrjstudios; 04.23.12 at 10:08 PM.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by mrjstudios View Post
    Here's a little demo of the VEH into a 5150 during some of my band's rehearsals a few years ago:

One thing to consider is this: the VEH pickup is not any less good than the Duncan Custom Custom, or the '78, or the Franky Replica Pickup (I've played them all) -- they are all just different, quality pickups. You might find that the VEH works better than the '78 in certain guitars to nail the VH tone, and vice versa in other guitars. So even though there is a massive price difference between some of them, you won't necessarily be disappointed with the cheapest one, or the mid priced ones.
    can't wait to see you put that egnater to some use man!

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

12.05.17 @ 03:19 AM
    Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts

Here's a clip of some early Van Halen riffs using the GFS VEH humbucker on my butchered 80s MIJ Squier Strat. I've found some of the GFS pups disappointing, but I think the VEH is great. Having said that, I do think it benefits from a really resonant guitar. Here it is:

http://www.stuartneville.com/assets/audio/vhiiriffs.mp3

FYI, that's straight into my computer using Amplitube 3 via their StealthPedal interface.
    HERE AND GONE by Haylen Beck (Stuart Neville writing as...) - "It doesn't get better than this." - Lee Child, "Highly recommended." - Harlan Coben, "Cancel all your plans and settle in for the ride." - Ruth Ware, "This is a book that lives up to the buzz." - Alafair Burke

Summer 2017 UK & North America

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

12.15.13 @ 04:45 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

it depends on your entire setup and what you want to accomplish. assuming the goal is to get VH tone, which album/era? most of the DLR era stuff is unique.
    if you have a low gain amp like Ed did you need a hotter pup to push it up front. so an overwound paf like a SD custom custom or DSD would be the wise choice. hot pups with hot amps are overkill for his older stuff but works well with the Sammy era stuff.

hope that helps. its not as simple as grabbing the right pickup and calling it good...
    Custom guitars and high end point to point handwired 68 Marshall SuperLeads

www.holbrooktone.com

https://www.facebook.com/#!/holbrooktone