Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Any one of them will do...
    Last Online

08.16.13 @ 10:05 AM
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Default AtomicPunk91 Frankenstrat (old) Build.

Hey all,

Thought I'd share my last Frankenstrat build. Sadly (for me) I sold it to one of the members here awhile back.

Musikraft body and neck. Enjoy!

Front B&W, with wear.

Back B&W, with wear.

Finished product.

Atomic Punk Guitars
    http://www.facebook.com/AtomicPunkGuitars

"Life is like music; sometimes it's the silence in between the notes that is most important..."

"I'd rather be a failure with my own music, than a success off of someone else's music..." - Edward Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

More pictures.

Atomic Punk Guitars

"Life is like music; sometimes it's the silence in between the notes that is most important..."

"I'd rather be a failure with my own music, than a success off of someone else's music..." - Edward Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 10:38 AM
    Liked 612 Times in 387 Posts

Whoa! Really nice work!

Last Online

02.24.16 @ 07:27 AM
    Liked 349 Times in 206 Posts

Wow this hurts...I remember seeing you had it for sale the first time I had logged on in weeks and was too late.

I have come to despise painting...taping...waiting..

Great job.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I & 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street & Humans Being
    Last Online

03.26.14 @ 03:51 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I guess this is a good thread to ask this since I can post a new thread yet.

I have a 5150 project I'm working on. I bought it off Craigslist a few weeks ago. Great body and neck. Decent floyd. Crappy pickup which I knew I was gonna change anyway.

The pickup was waxed - not screwed - waxed into the body. I finally melt enough wax to yank it out. I find that there's a bunch of double sided tape underneath it, no screws and its a duncan 59 neck to boot.

Today I scored a Duncan 78 on the cheap from the Dallas Guitar Show. Problem is that the cavity is too deep right now.

How do I go about shimming the cavity to raise the pickup to proper height?

Thanks for any and all help.

Eruption
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 10:33 PM
    Liked 266 Times in 142 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Metropolis777 View Post
    Today I scored a Duncan 78 on the cheap from the Dallas Guitar Show. Problem is that the cavity is too deep right now.

How do I go about shimming the cavity to raise the pickup to proper height?

Thanks for any and all help.
    I had the same problem with my 5150 build. The holes for the pickup feet were too deep. I found some tiny wood cubes at Michael's and wedged and glued one into each foot hole. Then I was able to screw the pickup directly into those tiny cubes. They are about 1/4 sq/" and I had to trim them down with a cleaver.

Eruption
    Last Online

Premium Member

Ok, how do you make all those wear marks in the paint and then paint red over it and keep them there? I have a lead on a real nice black and white Frankenstein and am thinking of getting it to use for a project like this one. How to do this?

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I & 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street & Humans Being
    Last Online

03.26.14 @ 03:51 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
    I had the same problem with my 5150 build. The holes for the pickup feet were too deep. I found some tiny wood cubes at Michael's and wedged and glued one into each foot hole. Then I was able to screw the pickup directly into those tiny cubes. They are about 1/4 sq/" and I had to trim them down with a cleaver.
    Thanks Rick. Will prolly try that. For now, I've found a piece of scrap wood that helps to raise the whole thing up.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arson View Post
    Wow this hurts...I remember seeing you had it for sale the first time I had logged on in weeks and was too late.

I have come to despise painting...taping...waiting..

Great job.
    Thanks!

I take it you've started your own Franky already? If not, I was going to say if you wanted to, I would be more than happy to build you one for free, provided you pay for the parts and shipping.

This one was my first Frank replica; Frank 2.0 is going to make this one look like a plywood Squire

Cheers!
    Atomic Punk Guitars

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
    Ok, how do you make all those wear marks in the paint and then paint red over it and keep them there? I have a lead on a real nice black and white Frankenstein and am thinking of getting it to use for a project like this one. How to do this?
    The first thing to do is pay attention to photos of the real guitar and find what wear marks go under the red layer. The B&W was really torn up before Ed sprayed the red. Just relic the B&W layer then tape up for the red and then you can start doing the final relicing.

The back can be tricky. You have to relic it, then shoot the red, then go back over and expose the bare wood again.

I like to use wood files. They work very well to provide a very natural looking relicing. Use a small, sharp instrument like a hobby knife for the smaller details. Avoid sandpaper if you can. You can spot the effects of sandpaper from a mile away.

But the best tool is your eyes! Always try and refer to the original Frank if you are unsure of what to do.

Cheers!
    Atomic Punk Guitars

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, DDL, Dirty Movies
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 11:56 PM
    Liked 1,608 Times in 744 Posts

Premium Member

Man, that Franky looks incredible.... The body work is amazing.... I've always loved the hockey stick version of the Frank, which kind of leads me to a question for you.

Where did you get the Kramer logo for it??? I've been looking for one for ages. I recently tried to make one with my printer, but it didnt work out to well. The black lines aren't think enough and the "R" disappears over the black line...

Any help in finding one would be greatly appreciated.
    If you have nothing nice to say about Eddie Van Halen, you're at the right website. - Me (A few years ago)

"People take Van Halen much more seriously than we do" - David Lee Roth (1980's)

"I don't sit on the end of your bed while you're trying to make a living" - David Lee Roth (1988)

"For some reason people love to complain about everything. The internet has made it easy for people to do that. Shut the fuck up and get a life, or show me how good you can do it."- Edward Van Halen

"A lot of people ask me which Van Halen singer was better. You can't compare them. It's like asking which guitarist is better. Nobody is better than anybody. Every player is their own person."-Edward Van Halen

"I do like Eddie Van Halen as a player. He gets it right quite often." -Paul McCartney

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 10:38 AM
    Liked 612 Times in 387 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchie5150 View Post
    Where did you get the Kramer logo for it??? I've been looking for one for ages. I recently tried to make one with my printer, but it didnt work out to well. The black lines aren't think enough and the "R" disappears over the black line...

eBay.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchie5150 View Post
    Man, that Franky looks incredible.... The body work is amazing.... I've always loved the hockey stick version of the Frank, which kind of leads me to a question for you.

Hey Dutchie!

I got the template from a post by Ymi5150? on Halen.com. Think it was in Catfishrich's build thread I think. He was doing a Kramer banana neck Frank...

If your printer isn't getting the colors opaque enough, you should be able to take some waterslides to a print shop and have them print them for you. I think just be sure to specify the colors need to be opaque.

If that fails still, you can always make a stencil and paint it on. You just have to paint the letters yellow then outline them in black. A little nerve racking and time consuming, but can be done.

The ones on ebay are slightly off to what was on the Tom Anderson neck, so they won't work right.

Atomic Punk Guitars

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 10:55 AM
    Liked 461 Times in 200 Posts

very, very nice.....

Eruption
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk91 View Post
    The first thing to do is pay attention to photos of the real guitar and find what wear marks go under the red layer. The B&W was really torn up before Ed sprayed the red. Just relic the B&W layer then tape up for the red and then you can start doing the final relicing.

The back can be tricky. You have to relic it, then shoot the red, then go back over and expose the bare wood again.

I like to use wood files. They work very well to provide a very natural looking relicing. Use a small, sharp instrument like a hobby knife for the smaller details. Avoid sandpaper if you can. You can spot the effects of sandpaper from a mile away.

But the best tool is your eyes! Always try and refer to the original Frank if you are unsure of what to do.

Cheers!
    So is "relicing" using a file to get back down to bare wood? I've never seen that word used as a verb before. LOL. And do you spray clear over it on the B&W before taping and going to red? Can you post a photo of the files you used?