Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 10:38 AM
    Liked 612 Times in 387 Posts

Default My rendition of "Hot For Teacher" with Flying V

Here is a recording I made a couple of days ago using my '58 reissue Flying V and my 1989 Marshall JCM800 50W 2 x 12 combo that was modded by Mark "Rockstah" Abrahamian in Austin,TX with his version of the Mod 5 circuit. Just wanted to test out the tone of this amp with this guitar. I'm still struggling for VH-1 type tones out of Clapton/VH-1 strat, but I'm still working on that. I feel I got a pretty good sound with the Flying V and Mod 5 Marshall combo. I might try making a clip of "Girl Gone Bad" or "Drop Dead Legs" with this set-up later on...

This was just guitar straight into the amp with a bit of studio reverb...

Last edited by garbeaj; 04.22.12 at 01:38 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Any one of them will do...
    Last Online

08.16.13 @ 10:05 AM
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Wow. That's pretty impressive. If half of Ed's tone is in the fingers I think you've got that half covered.

One of the best HFT I've heard, both tone wise and playing wise. The solo was about spot on.
    Atomic Punk Guitars
    http://www.facebook.com/AtomicPunkGuitars

"Life is like music; sometimes it's the silence in between the notes that is most important..."

"I'd rather be a failure with my own music, than a success off of someone else's music..." - Edward Van Halen

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

Fuckin' Awesome dude!
    Just wondering is that the Korina reissue or the mahogany? It nails that classic V tone. Got that peppery bite to it.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

It is an Orville by Gibson '58 reissue V made in the FujiGen factory in Japan, same factory as the original 70s Ibanez Destroyers. 'Orville by Gibson' and 'Orville' guitars are licensed by Gibson for sale in Japan only.

I had the guys that do custom paint on my guitars sand and repaint the headstock black which had a silk screened 'Orville by Gibson' logo originally. I then had them install an original gold raised 'Gibson' logo on it. I also had another of my guitar techs rout for and install the rubber strip on the bottom of the guitar. For some reason that was the only detail left off in the 'Orville by Gibson' version of the '58 V. Those were the only cosmetic changes I made to the guitar.

I replaced the original klunky Kluson tuners with beautiful Tonepros Kluson replicas. They are way more solid and have a much better gear ratio than the old tuners. I then replaced the bridge with a locking Tonepros bridge. I replaced the wiring with period correct components from RS Guitarworks with their 'Vintage Flying V' kit.The wiring layout in the original '58 V's was very different from the 60s and later V's. RS Guitarworks included a spot on wiring diagram that helped me bring the guitar up to spec.

The stock pickups in the 'Orville by Gibson' V were Gibson '57 Classics, which I think sound great, so I left those stock. I also found a nice 80s Gibson brown TKL case with plush pink interior for $99 on eBay. All told I'm into the guitar for around $1,300...a bargain when you consider that the Gibson Heritage series reissue Korina V's run a minimum of $7,000. And they don't have the upgraded Tonepros hardware or period correct wiring kit! Of course it is a SUPER bargain when you think of the cost of an original '58 V...they are even more rare than a '58-'60 Sunburst Les Paul!

I love it!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk91 View Post
    Wow. That's pretty impressive. If half of Ed's tone is in the fingers I think you've got that half covered.

One of the best HFT I've heard, both tone wise and playing wise. The solo was about spot on.
    Thanks very much indeed! It was just a quick tone test and I flubbed a few things here and there...just a one take unedited shot

Last Online

02.24.16 @ 07:27 AM
    Liked 349 Times in 206 Posts

Great playing Allen!

What volume level is this?

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Arson View Post
    Great playing Allen!

What volume level is this?
    Thanks!
    The PPIMV (the actual volume) was set at around 2, maybe just slightly lower...Definitely bedroom volume. Volume 1 was set at 7 and Volume 2 was also set at 7.
    The treble and middle were on 8 and the bass on 1, presence almost off...

On the treble pickup, volume was set full-up obviously and the bass pickup volume was set at around 2 1/2 for the quiet "La Grange" parts...
    Last edited by garbeaj; 04.22.12 at 06:25 PM.

Last Online

02.24.16 @ 07:27 AM
    Liked 349 Times in 206 Posts

Amazing sound at that volume...

What speakers did you drop in there?

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Arson View Post
    Amazing sound at that volume...

What speakers did you drop in there?
    6402 cone reissue Celestion Greenbacks from the 90's...they sound one hell of alot better than the original Rolas that came stock in the amp.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by garbeaj View Post
    It is an Orville by Gibson '58 reissue V made in the FujiGen factory in Japan, same factory as the original 70s Ibanez Destroyers. 'Orville by Gibson' and 'Orville' guitars are licensed by Gibson for sale in Japan only.

I had the guys that do custom paint on my guitars sand and repaint the headstock black which had a silk screened 'Orville by Gibson' logo originally. I then had them install an original gold raised 'Gibson' logo on it. I also had another of my guitar techs rout for and install the rubber strip on the bottom of the guitar. For some reason that was the only detail left off in the 'Orville by Gibson' version of the '58 V. Those were the only cosmetic changes I made to the guitar.

I replaced the original klunky Kluson tuners with beautiful Tonepros Kluson replicas. They are way more solid and have a much better gear ratio than the old tuners. I then replaced the bridge with a locking Tonepros bridge. I replaced the wiring with period correct components from RS Guitarworks with their 'Vintage Flying V' kit.The wiring layout in the original '58 V's was very different from the 60s and later V's. RS Guitarworks included a spot on wiring diagram that helped me bring the guitar up to spec.

The stock pickups in the 'Orville by Gibson' V were Gibson '57 Classics, which I think sound great, so I left those stock. I also found a nice 80s Gibson brown TKL case with plush pink interior for $99 on eBay. All told I'm into the guitar for around $1,300...a bargain when you consider that the Gibson Heritage series reissue Korina V's run a minimum of $7,000. And they don't have the upgraded Tonepros hardware or period correct wiring kit! Of course it is a SUPER bargain when you think of the cost of an original '58 V...they are even more rare than a '58-'60 Sunburst Les Paul!

I love it!
    It's a sweet axe man....and yeah, love the 57 Classics. I've got some in a couple of my guitars and think they are great sounding.

Last Online

10.17.12 @ 03:50 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Great sound as all Mod 5's are, but wouldn't some presence give it that high end sparkle clarity? roll back on the treble and crank the presence.. xD

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by OokraMoO View Post
    Great sound as all Mod 5's are, but wouldn't some presence give it that high end sparkle clarity? roll back on the treble and crank the presence.. xD
    Actually the presence doesn't have much effect on the sound at all...Mark generally has the identical settings except with the two volumes at 9 and presence full up. But that is for VH-1 tones on a completely different guitar, which is obviously not what I went for here...I think for the "Hot For Teacher" tones I got what I was looking for. I didn't do much twiddling with the knobs, I just set the two volumes on 7 and went for it. I'm sure if I twiddled more I would get closer, but what I have here is close enough for me

If anything, the sound might slightly thin out a bit with the presence all the way up, but again, it is almost impossible to distinguish any effect from the presence knob.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.20.12 @ 08:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Nice job man!
    As usual, there is a great woman behind every idiot.
    - John Lennon

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Warmoth View Post
    Nice job man!
    Thanks very much indeed!

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:16 PM
    Liked 93 Times in 37 Posts

Excellent playing and tone- best to leave those few tiny flubs in there for mojo. Ed would have done the same (and did). Would love to hear it with a little more power tube saturation, but it's fantastic as is. Your pick slides are nice and clean, mine are a mess, what's your secret? How does one obtain an Orville by Gibson guitar in the states? That was sure a great route you took to arrive at the final destination.