Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Franken-OLP Build

Started this thread for a new forum member "Stringbreaker64" who I know from Youtube, who can't create threads yet... go for it man!

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I & 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street & Humans Being
    Last Online

03.26.14 @ 03:51 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

How long before new members are allowed to create threads?

Favorite VH Album

Pirates of the Carribean
    Favorite VH Song

How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 07:17 AM
    Liked 1,623 Times in 870 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Metropolis777 View Post
    How long before new members are allowed to create threads?
    Used to be 20 posts IIRC but with all the trolls & spambots that have been on here as of late it may be a different standard.
    -TVH-

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine

What is government itself but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? - James Madison

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian. - Henry Ford

Favorite VH Album

Panama
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for the teacher
    Last Online

09.28.13 @ 03:47 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

As mentioned by "MRJ" He started this thread for me because I'm too new to start one and we have been talking for a while on YouTube about a OLP MM1 build mod I have been working on.

Let me start at the beginning..
    This all started after a saw an Axis painted like the EVH red, black and white Frankenstrat that we all love. So I started searching for a used Axis. The ones I found were out of my price range. Then I was going to build a copy of one that Mean Streets sells. But then I ran across some info on the OLP guitars and did a quick eBay search and found a whole slew of OLP MM1s and MM1FRs.

I finely decided to get an OLP MM1 from Guitar Center after reading some information on another forum about how they don't sell junk and non of their guitars leave the store before they are properly set up. So I took the bait and bit the hook and ordered me a used OLP MM1. The one picture of it looked nice enough.

I got the guitar 3 days later. What a let down!! The top of the body had not less than 13 BB dents in it, a few marks that looked like a knife has been stuck in it, the back edge was missing a 1/2"x1" chunk of wood and 8 large dents in it. The neck has a serious back-bow in it and the whole guitar looked like it had been riding around in someones car trunk. The bridge was covered in some seriously nasty brown crap.

After getting over the shock of it all I called the Guitar Center (GC) I got the guitar from and expressed my serious disappointment in the guitar they sold me. They were like "If you don't like it, then send it back!" I checked on the shipping cost and it was 3 times what I paid GC for shipping. So I called them back and asked to talk to the manager. Some "pimple" there said he was out on his break and he would take my number and have him call me back. Oddly enough I never got a call back and the other three times I call he was still on break.

I finely said screw it and took matters into my own hands. I dug the OLP out of the box and threw it up on my guitar work stand and started cleaning. After that I backed off the truss rod adjustment wheel to take all the stress off the neck. I tuned it up, set the intonation and plugged it into my amp. Even with the back bow it felt really good and sounded really great. Over the course of the follow week I managed to get the back bow out of the neck by tuning the guitar to F# and wetting the back of the neck and applying weight to the top. I would let the guitar sit like that for about 24 hours then I would tune it back up and play it for a while the start the whole process all over again.

Once the neck was straight I got a hair across my fanny and pulled it all apart to totally clean it up and do a proper set up and add a 80s Floyd Rose tremolo to it so I could ditch the rusty and nasty strat tremolo.

Well that alot to write and read for my first post. More to follow and I'll upload some pictures as well once I figure that out.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 06:48 PM
    Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

Are you in-process on the guitar or is it done? I was afraid to entirely build a guitar from scratch, so I used an MM1 as a starting point and it worked out well. I replaced the pickups, using a SD EVH 78 in the bridge, replaced the volume pot, installed an awesome little vintage trem and locking tuners, etc. The guitar plays and sounds great. Frankly, for the $ I eventually put into it, I probably could have bought one of the Charvel So-Cals, but I'm never afraid to play the MM1 outside of my studio.

To be fair, mine didn't have the kind of damage that yours had, so that made things a little easier! But if it's still apart, go ahead and make some other mods!

Favorite VH Album

Panama
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for the teacher
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm working on uploading some pictures to photo bucket but it is major slow.
    Thursday evening my OLP MM1 was in pieces.

Friday evening I repaired the holes in the Wolfgang Special neck by drilling the old holes out to 1/4" and filling them with hardwood dowels. I drilled pilot holes for the new screw hole locations and mounted the neck. I had to open up the hole that was there for the original strat style trem. Nothing a dremal and a sanding drum couldn't handle. I had planned to route the body to lower the 80s Kramer Floyd Rose I had as the bases of those are at lease 3/16th of an inch thick. But MRJ advised me not to do that and I took his advice. I put the FR trem in place and put on new strings (EVH 09-42). Getting it to tune was a real pain. The trem kept raising up in the rear. I changed out the two springs for some stiffer ones and it was fine.

The action ended up being way too high. It was lat so I let it be for the evening.

Saturday I started back in. with none of the electronics in it yet. I had to use my little pocket tuner to get at least an initial tune on it. But it was driving me nuts. So I downloaded a tuner app for my droid phone (two apps actually) one app was a tone tuner and the second was to fine tune it from there. Low-n- behold it was finely right on the money. That afternoon I received the Wolfgang Special pickups I bought from the same guy that sold me the neck in the mail.

That pushed me to get the guitar put back together. It was a long day!
    I ended up having to shim the neck. First I tried a thin piece I cut from a piece of Masonite board. I cut it down to 1/16" thick. That ended up being too thick, the strings were just a hair off the frets. They would have buzzed like a no tomorrow. I then cut two strips off a thin plastic ruler that ended up being almost as thick as a guitar pick.

I reattached the neck and the action was right on the money. The trem sits just a hair off face of the body. Then I pulled the neck one last time and installed the WGS pickups. I took an ohm reading and one was 15.48 and the other was 14.52. I wasn't sure which pickup went where so I put the 15.48 one in the bridge position and the 14.52 one in the neck position. Both pickups have two layers of foam sponge backing and are screwed to the body with no springs.

I really want the screw tabs or pickup feet of the pickups to sit against the wood. This will help in transferring the tone through the body. I wired the pickups in just as the OLP pickups were wired in. I did do a search on line for some sort of wiring diagram. And I found some but I'm not sure if the way I did it or the other way would really make a difference at this point.

MRJ and I had talked about using a plate of some sort in the electronics cavity as a bases for having a common ground so I wouldn't have to heat up the Pot. The plate would also add more stability for the controls.

The guitar sounds great. A little muddier than I'm user too. But it works across a wide spectrum of songs. I plugged it in to my Rocksmith game and played through several songs from BB King to Black Keys and it sounded really good. I like that the only thing I have to fiddle with is the volume control and the three position switch. I had originally picked up some Mighty Mite Motherbuckers to throw in the OLP. The original OLP pickups aren't bad at all. I will have to just play with it and see which sounds best.

I will get the pictures up as soon as I can get then uploaded.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

ALL
    Last Online

07.22.15 @ 10:34 PM
    Liked 4 Times in 1 Post

So I just recently bought a used OLP mm1 too. With the new CD I want to get back into playing guitar. However the guitar did not come with a bridge. I went to the local guitar store to inquire how much to put a floyd on it and they quoted around $350 to $400 to put a floyd on it. For that price I could buy a new guitar.

Anyone know any other bridge that would fit on it? I'm not good with woodworking tools so something easy to install.

Also thinking about upgrading to schaller mini locking tuners. Would these work without modification or drilling new holes?

Thanks all!

Favorite VH Album

Panama
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for the teacher
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

There are alot of variables here to be addressed.
    The short answer is that any one of the strat style bridges will fit it just fine as they came with a version similar to those. I have seen them on eBay for as little as $20. Did it come with the springs and spring retainer? If not you can get a complete strat type tremolo for as little as $50 on there.

If your dead set on the floyd rose type system. MRJ turned me onto a site called guitarfetish that sells a version of the FR that is used on the music man AX40. But there is no getting around doing some wood work. locating the two pin locations isn't too hard but takes time.

A guitar shop is going to charge you major $$$ for a floyd rose and the work to install it. For the FR to work right they will have the put the nut lock onto the neck and the string retainer has to go on there due to the angle of the head. Then they have to locate the bridge on the body and install the two pins and the back spring retainer. There is some enlarging of the strat opening that has to be done to get in it flat with no binding. After all that is installed they have to adjust the action by ether shaving the heel pocket or add a shim (as I did) under the back of the neck heal. Then adjust the intonation and pickup height.

So as you can see $350 to $400 isn't bad if it includes all the materials and a total setup.

The locking tuners will work well with the strat type tremolo if your not going to go wammy bar crazy with it. Dive bombing it will cause the strings to loosen on their post. They will fit your head as long as they are the mini type.
    Last edited by Stringbreaker64; 04.23.12 at 09:31 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Panama
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for the teacher
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

ok as promised here are the pictures I took:
    http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums/...P%20MM1%20Mods

Favorite VH Album

Panama
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for the teacher
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well there doesn't seem to be any interest in this OLP mod I did.

But I'm starting another build, actually two new builds..

The first build starts with a jacked up build I found on eBay. http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/...g/100_0980.jpg

The body seems to be a Sterling.
    http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/...g/100_0981.jpg

The only real flaw is a neck mounting hole that looks like someone started to drill for the ferrule bushings then changed their mind.
    http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/...g/100_0997.jpg

This is covered by the neck plate. The Sterling and Axis guitars have the 5 hole neck plates but the early Wolfgang's had 4 ferrule bushings and screws. I haven't made up my mind that I want to use a base plate or ferrule bushings yet.

I have a couple OLP necks I could use but I think I'm going with a Scott Fletcher neck.

The second build is starting with a USA Peavey Wolfgang Body.
    http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/...uild/Front.jpg

It looks to be a early 90's body. I'll strip her all down and see where it goes from there.

Let me know what you guys/gals think!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That definitely looks more like a Sterling body or real EBMM body than an OLP... definitely not the usual OLP "photo-flame" looking top.

FWIW, I like neckplates better than ferrules. I just feel like a plate distributes the downforce of the screws better and more evenly, and isn't subject to the turning forces (in soft wood) when you really tighten the neck screws down... but that's just me. There's really nothing structurally wrong with ferrules if done correctly.

Could you post a bigger and better picture(s) of that Wolfgang body? Does it have a maple top or a carve top? There are a lot of resident Wolfgang experts on here that could help you identify at least what kind of Wolfgang it's off of.

From personal experience with more than one of both, I'm sure you will be much happier with a Fletcher neck than the OLP neck.

Favorite VH Album

Panama
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for the teacher
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'll post a better pic of the project #2 wolfgang once it gets here. I like the neck plates as well. I'm with you, ferrules can suck in and damage soft wood bodies. The wolfgang I just picked up comes with ferrules already. But that could change! LOL I can tell from the pictures if it is a flat or carved top. All I was told is that is was originally gold and someone painted it blue. As mentioned I plan to strip it all down and then I'll post more pictures of that as well.

The project #1 body is definitely NOT an OLP. I wish my camera could capture how the 3d just pops on that one! As for the 5 hole neck plate, all I can find are the Fender plates. That's not going to fly. If you have a source for those 5 hole plates let me know. I have a couple feelers out for that as well.

I'm fired up about the Fletcher neck. I like his head shape as well. I have asked him if I should call him and talk to him about my order. This is my first custom neck and I would hate to order it wrong. I really like the feel of the wolfgang neck I just put on the OLP project. But I like the smaller OLP frets as well. Maybe if there is something in the middle I could live with that. OLP project guitar is really nice playing and sounds nice with the wolfgang pups in it now that I flipped them around.

There is only one thing I would change on those bodies and that's the a forearm re-leaf cut and a little larger back cut. No! I'm not cutting the project #1 body..

More to follow..

Favorite VH Album

Panama
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for the teacher
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm still waiting for the project #2 body, a 90's Wolfgang body to arrive..

In the mean time I've been looking over the project #1 body (I really have to come up with a creative name for that build). I thought I had some tremolo pivot studs I could use to replace the ones that were missing. No-Go! My studs dropped right in the bushings. I tried an whole host of bolts to try and find out what size I needed and what the thread engagement might have been. I didn't have one bolt that would fit!

I gave Scott from A&Z Guitar Repair (I bumped into him on one of the other threads on here). We had a long conversation about the project and he helped me alot to try and determine how I could go about figuring out the thread used in the brass bushings. I finely had to pull the bridge post bushings from the body. No huge task as I made a puller that pulls those out evenly.

I managed to pick up a new set from a local guitar shop and I'll slip those in this weekend. My next headache is going to be the 5 hole neck plate for the project #1 body. The only 5 hole plate I could find is made by Fender and has Fender plastered on it.. Not going there. I also tried a whole host of sites that has custom plates and laser designed plates. But most of those places are all retailers for custom designed 4 hole plates. I may have to seek out a machine shop to make me one unless some one here knows where I can get one.

I took a few minutes to look over the OLP guitar. I have really been playing that nonstop sense I got it up and running. The one little issue is that I have the Kramer FR so flat and tight to the body that there is no pivot room for the leading edge of the tremolo to move without binding. So to get that working right I really have to pull the tremolo and tremolo studs and router out a little groove.

More to follow....
    Last edited by Stringbreaker64; 05.07.12 at 08:28 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Panama
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for the teacher
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I got the 90's Wolfgang body in the mail today. Yes I took a whole host of pictures and measurements in hopes that someone could confirm what I have.

Here's the body as received it:
    http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/...d/100_1124.jpg
    The back:
    http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/...d/100_1131.jpg

Here is the link to the rest of the photos and the various measurements I took:
    http://photobucket.com/USAPeaveyWolfgangBuild

There isn't alot of traffic on this thread. I was hoping there would be more interest.
    Last edited by Stringbreaker64; 05.10.12 at 08:40 PM.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stringbreaker64 View Post
    I got the 90's Wolfgang body in the mail today. Yes I took a whole host of pictures and measurements in hopes that someone could confirm what I have.

Here's the body as received it:
    http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/...d/100_1124.jpg
    The back:
    http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/...d/100_1131.jpg

Here is the link to the rest of the photos and the various measurements I took:
    http://photobucket.com/USAPeaveyWolfgangBuild

There isn't alot of traffic on this thread. I was hoping there would be more interest.

Well, it definitely looks like a Peavey Wolfgang Special USA body! That gold paint looks like the Peavey Gold that they used too, so I'm assuming that's the original color. Is there a somewhat thick and super hard primer coat of white eggshell paint under the gold? I know that's what's under the black paint on mine. (I think someone has a similar gold Wolfgang Special for sale over in the ebay thread -- see if that color looks the same to you too.)

Just from the look of the routing details, etc., I'd say it's probably real. Everything looks EXACTLY like my 1998-1999-ish black Wolfgang Special body, although I don't have it with me to actually measure.

That thing looks like it's taken a beating, but it'll be like new once you re-finish it. As bad as yours looks right now, I think mine actually has more deep gouges in the finish (although most of the paint is intact, unlike this one)! So a new coat of paint and some minimal body work should make yours perfect.

Are you using "Citristrip"? That's some goooood stuff.