Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 32
  1. #1
    5150 theNine5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.10.12
    Age
    55
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    562
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

    Mine all Mine, Mean Street
    Last Online

    11.22.16 @ 06:34 AM
    Likes
    164
    Liked 53 Times in 32 Posts

    Default How does ADKOT's lyric's rank?

    While enjoying ADKOT the past few weeks, I continue to be most impressed with Dave's lyric's. It's easy to muse on his vocal style and ability (many threads on this subject), and i have been as critical as anyone in that regard.

    But in addition to:
    Ed's health & returned fury in his playing
    The fact Wolf can play and sing well
    Al- solid as ever

    I am really impressed with Dave's lyrics. "Stay Frosty" alone was worth the price of admission, but "She's The Woman", "You and Your Blues" & "The Trouble with Never" stand out to me as classics also.

    I think ADKOT ranks as some of the best lyrics Dave has ever done.

    Thoughts??

  2. #2
    Eruption
    Join Date
    07.03.06
    Location
    Dallas Texas
    Posts
    1,477
    Favorite VH Album

    VHII
    Favorite VH Song

    Light up the Sky
    Last Online

    12.10.17 @ 07:01 PM
    Likes
    159
    Liked 190 Times in 96 Posts

    Default

    I have always thought Dave's lyrics with VH have been great. This time around on ADKOT they are much more clever and witty. I miss the grittiness of the older material but great effort by Dave.

    Is this the 1st VH CD with Dave that included the lyrics?
    ~ I like the way the line runs up the back of her stockings ~

  3. #3
    5150 The Mighty Watcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    05.30.04
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    670
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning, F.U.C.K, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

    Unchained
    Last Online

    10.14.13 @ 09:08 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Default

    I would have to rank these amongst DLR's cleverest and well thought out lyrics (Of course, he's had a LONGGGGGGGGG time to work on them, unlike the meat grinder that pumped out Van Halen albums in the 70s and 80s.). These are some of Dave's coolest lyrics and yet some of his least engaging melodies.

    There's not a lot of catchy choruses that make you want to shout them out loud, like Jump, Panama, Unchained, Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love, Sinner's Swing, The Full Bug, Beautiful Girls, Everybody Wants Some and so on.

    Blood and Fire, Stay Frosty Bullethead, She's The Woman and some of Beats Workin' come close to comparing to these classics in their "singability", but in general, they fail to measure up to the classics in that regard (My opinion, your mileage may vary.)

    There's a lot of things on this album to be thankful for, and DLR's lyrics are among them. They're clever (Stay Frosty, for instance.) and not hackneyed at all.

    They're just not a singable as some of the classics.
    Hit the ground running...

    We came through blood and fire...

    "I aim to misbehave." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds: Firefly

    Proud fan of BOTH major eras of Van Halen. Yes, we do exist.

    "Men never commit evil so fully and joyfuly as when they do it for religious convictions"-- Blaise Pascal (1623-1662)

    The Sass Jordan version of Van Halen was the best...

  4. #4
    5150 theNine5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.10.12
    Age
    55
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    562
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

    Mine all Mine, Mean Street
    Last Online

    11.22.16 @ 06:34 AM
    Likes
    164
    Liked 53 Times in 32 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty Watcher View Post
    I would have to rank these amongst DLR's cleverest and well thought out lyrics (Of course, he's had a LONGGGGGGGGG time to work on them, unlike the meat grinder that pumped out Van Halen albums in the 70s and 80s.). These are some of Dave's coolest lyrics and yet some of his least engaging melodies.

    There's not a lot of catchy choruses that make you want to shout them out loud, like Jump, Panama, Unchained, Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love, Sinner's Swing, The Full Bug, Beautiful Girls, Everybody Wants Some and so on.

    Blood and Fire, Stay Frosty Bullethead, She's The Woman and some of Beats Workin' come close to comparing to these classics in their "singability", but in general, they fail to measure up to the classics in that regard (My opinion, your mileage may vary.)

    There's a lot of things on this album to be thankful for, and DLR's lyrics are among them. They're clever (Stay Frosty, for instance.) and not hackneyed at all.

    They're just not a singable as some of the classics.
    good point on the lack of hooks - catchy choruses.

    I got this mental pic of allot of the songs being kicked around and Ted Templeman sayin " I'm just not hearing a single or hit here.. What else ya got Ed?" and Eddie whips out Panama..

  5. #5
    On Fire
    Join Date
    01.12.12
    Posts
    321
    Favorite VH Album

    ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

    MWM
    Last Online

    12.10.17 @ 09:30 PM
    Likes
    44
    Liked 100 Times in 43 Posts

    Default

    the lyrics are terrifically clever. is anyone really surprised?

    think about dave's mastery of rhythm and language. consider how he freestyles during interviews, etc. he never says anything that's been said before, nor does he take his time doing it. take a guy like that and give him half his adult life to come up with an album worth of ideas and how to express them.

    of COURSE this album is a lyrical masterpiece!

    likewise, al's performance is pretty much a given. it's only wolf that's a pleasant surprise.

    i think that's everyone, right?

  6. #6
    Atomic Punk rocknblues81's Avatar
    Join Date
    10.11.09
    Posts
    10,497
    Last Online

    12.10.17 @ 04:14 PM
    Likes
    558
    Liked 1,471 Times in 1,002 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by theNine5150 View Post
    While enjoying ADKOT the past few weeks, I continue to be most impressed with Dave's lyric's. It's easy to muse on his vocal style and ability (many threads on this subject), and i have been as critical as anyone in that regard.

    But in addition to:
    Ed's health & returned fury in his playing
    The fact Wolf can play and sing well
    Al- solid as ever

    I am really impressed with Dave's lyrics. "Stay Frosty" alone was worth the price of admission, but "She's The Woman", "You and Your Blues" & "The Trouble with Never" stand out to me as classics also.

    I think ADKOT ranks as some of the best lyrics Dave has ever done.

    Thoughts??
    You and Your Blues is about the only good song LYRICS WISE.

  7. #7
    On Fire
    Join Date
    01.12.12
    Posts
    321
    Favorite VH Album

    ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

    MWM
    Last Online

    12.10.17 @ 09:30 PM
    Likes
    44
    Liked 100 Times in 43 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rocknblues81 View Post
    You and Your Blues is about the only good song LYRICS WISE.

    let me try to do what you just did:

    Shakespeare has done some not ungood writings but some still are bad.

  8. #8
    Atomic Punk rocknblues81's Avatar
    Join Date
    10.11.09
    Posts
    10,497
    Last Online

    12.10.17 @ 04:14 PM
    Likes
    558
    Liked 1,471 Times in 1,002 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 316/411 View Post
    let me try to do what you just did:

    Shakespeare has done some not ungood writings but some still are bad.
    The album has one song that has decent lyrics. There is nothing here that reaches the lows of Up for Breakfest, but I think calling these lyrics clever is pushing it.

  9. #9
    On Fire
    Join Date
    01.12.12
    Posts
    321
    Favorite VH Album

    ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

    MWM
    Last Online

    12.10.17 @ 09:30 PM
    Likes
    44
    Liked 100 Times in 43 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rocknblues81 View Post
    The album has one song that has decent lyrics. There is nothing here that reaches the lows of Up for Breakfest, but I think calling these lyrics clever is pushing it.
    oh this is fun. ok, show me some clever lyrics, lord byron. what are the clever lyrics you were hoping for that dave failed to eclipse? let's see 'em.

    show me... CLEVER! go.

  10. #10
    Atomic Punk rocknblues81's Avatar
    Join Date
    10.11.09
    Posts
    10,497
    Last Online

    12.10.17 @ 04:14 PM
    Likes
    558
    Liked 1,471 Times in 1,002 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 316/411 View Post
    oh this is fun. ok, show me some clever lyrics, lord byron. what are the clever lyrics you were hoping for that dave failed to eclipse? let's see 'em.

    show me... CLEVER! go.
    You're seriously going to tell me that the lyrics to "Tattoo" and "Outta Space" is good lyric writing? C'mon dude.

  11. #11
    Top Of The World
    Join Date
    01.05.12
    Posts
    170
    Last Online

    06.01.14 @ 09:43 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Default

    Some of the best and most clever lyrics on any VH album.

    Shit, as a whole they are probably the BEST lyrics on a VH album, I can't think of any other album that you could sit reading the printed lyrics and get several chuckles out of just the lyrics.

    Unless it was OU812 and you were laughing at how BAD the lyrics were, but that's another story.

  12. #12
    Eruption VanJuJu's Avatar
    Join Date
    10.11.07
    Location
    Springfield, Massachusettts
    Posts
    776
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Little Guitars
    Last Online

    08.24.15 @ 08:58 AM
    Likes
    46
    Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rocknblues81 View Post
    You're seriously going to tell me that the lyrics to "Tattoo" and "Outta Space" is good lyric writing? C'mon dude.
    Both songs feature very clever lyrics. DLR gets to the bottom of both subjects in humorous, personal, and off-beat ways.

    * For example, (without getting too deep into it): The lyric "mouse-wife to mom-shell" is one that I bet would've made John Lennon -- the master of that type of Lewis Carroll lyricism -- smile, (if not eat 'em and smile)?

    *Likewise, in "Outta Space": There are too many good lines to list. "Go Home the Earth is full." "The future ain't what it used to be/ Time to change my galaxy in case/ We outta space!" "Trouble-free Earth despocrats made/ Mother Nature piss her pants." "I do not refuse it/ I am guilty, I do use it/ I am the reason/ we outta space."

    Maybe you don't agree with DLR's position, but you have to give him this: at least he's taking a position -- and many of the lines are not only clever, but incisive regarding what's happening with the Earth.
    Springfield, MASS. - Hartford, CONN. =VH= Fans UNITE!

  13. #13
    Eruption VanJuJu's Avatar
    Join Date
    10.11.07
    Location
    Springfield, Massachusettts
    Posts
    776
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Little Guitars
    Last Online

    08.24.15 @ 08:58 AM
    Likes
    46
    Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts

    Default ADKotT features Van Halen's best lyrics ever -- by far, imo

    Personally, I feel that "A Different Kind of Truth" features Van Halen's best lyrics -- by far.

    I'd rank "Women and Children First" second.
    Springfield, MASS. - Hartford, CONN. =VH= Fans UNITE!

  14. #14
    Eruption Spool's Avatar
    Join Date
    05.25.04
    Age
    49
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,199
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Mean Street
    Last Online

    12.08.17 @ 07:21 PM
    Likes
    277
    Liked 181 Times in 82 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    I think this record is Dave's finest moment lyric wise ... Stay Frosty, Outta Space, As Is, You and Your Blues, the list goes on and on ...

  15. #15
    Good Enough ignorance_is_bliss's Avatar
    Join Date
    04.26.10
    Age
    32
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    2,008
    Favorite VH Album

    Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

    TIE! Humans Being and HAIL
    Last Online

    09.07.17 @ 09:37 PM
    Likes
    9
    Liked 90 Times in 37 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VanJuJu View Post
    Both songs feature very clever lyrics. DLR gets to the bottom of both subjects in humorous, personal, and off-beat ways.

    * For example, (without getting too deep into it): The lyric "mouse-wife to mom-shell" is one that I bet would've made John Lennon -- the master of that type of Lewis Carroll lyricism -- smile, (if not eat 'em and smile)?

    *Likewise, in "Outta Space": There are too many good lines to list. "Go Home the Earth is full." "The future ain't what it used to be/ Time to change my galaxy in case/ We outta space!" "Trouble-free Earth despocrats made/ Mother Nature piss her pants." "I do not refuse it/ I am guilty, I do use it/ I am the reason/ we outta space."

    Maybe you don't agree with DLR's position, but you have to give him this: at least he's taking a position -- and many of the lines are not only clever, but incisive regarding what's happening with the Earth.
    Hear, Hear!

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Rank the First Singles
    By ravid dee loth in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03.25.12, 11:27 AM
  2. rank songs off F.U.C.K
    By topik killer in forum VH Songs/Albums/Videos
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 09.08.05, 07:00 PM
  3. rank songs off VH1
    By topik killer in forum VH Songs/Albums/Videos
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 08.28.05, 08:15 AM
  4. rank songs of BEST OF
    By topik killer in forum VH Songs/Albums/Videos
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 08.26.05, 11:53 AM
  5. rank songs on 3
    By topik killer in forum VH Songs/Albums/Videos
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 02.02.01, 02:21 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •