Register
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Simple question

Banned!
    Last Online

05.18.12 @ 03:15 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Simple question

I've read in a lot of threads where the sales figures have been used as a way for a Roth fan to put down the Hagar era based on those numbers (& I say this because the sales from the Roth era that I've seen seem to be better than those for the Hagar albums). While musical taste will always be subjective, the insinuation when these numbers were used was that the numbers don't lie, so that the Roth era must have been better than the hagar era.

Given that ADKOT sits at less than 400,000 sales - which is below VH3 - do you think that this will make people less inclined to use the 'stats' as a form of judgement for how good an album is?

If someone can claim the Roth era better than Hagar using album sales, how can they say that the latest Roth era is better than the Cherone era when (a) sales don't reflect this and (b) musical taste is subjective, so it's not a true barometer.

I should add that I'm a fan of the band irrespective of whom the singer is - this is not a Roth vs Hagar vs Cherone thing. I'm not saying VH3 is better than ADKOT, and I'm not saying that VH3 isn't better than ADKOT. It's just a simple question.

And a plea. If you don't like the thread - if you think it's a silly question, boring, irrelevant, etc - just resist the urge to post. It'd be nice to see a thread for once that doesn't end up hijacked and turned into pages of bullshit.

Last Online

07.15.12 @ 08:23 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

There is a fundamental problem in 2012 that is an X factor. That factor is that we are in the download era. It is tough to compare sales figures because the download era can shrink actual album sales much more than the in 1970's, 1980's and 1990's when downloading was rare or not even happening. People at the computer today can decide they want the album for free in the next five minutes and have it in their home that fast. It makes the eras difficult to compare from a record sale point of view IMO. Even if the eras did not have this factor, album sales do not always tell the story of the quality of a piece of work. There are some great bands in 2012 that do not sell many records and there are some bad bands that sell many records in 2012. With that being said , I usually do not use sales figures dictate things, I will let my ears have the final say.

Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

simple rhyme
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 05:41 AM
    Liked 1,204 Times in 532 Posts

Frankly I don't give damn .
    WHAT IS UNDERSTOOD NEED NOT BE DISCUSSED

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 02:18 PM
    Liked 6,849 Times in 3,587 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by ELVH_INC View Post

- this is not a Roth vs Hagar vs Cherone

And a plea. If you don't like the thread - if you think it's a silly question, boring, irrelevant, etc - just resist the urge to post. It'd be nice to see a thread for once that doesn't end up hijacked and turned into pages of bullshit.

I hope you find the answers you're looking for, but this has all been discussed ad nauseum in the past, never with good results. Bring on the stats boys!

Banned!
    Last Online

05.18.12 @ 03:15 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mikehunt5150 View Post
    Frankly I don't give damn .
    And I'm glad you took the time to let us know, because I, for one, was really concerned about what you'd think . . thanks Mike.

BTW, classy username. I'll bet all the other 12 year olds were pissed off that you got it before them . . .

Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

simple rhyme
    Last Online

And I'm glad you took the time to let us know, because I, for one, was really concerned about what you'd think . . thanks Mike.

BTW, classy username. I'll bet all the other 12 year olds were pissed off that you got it before them . . .
    That is my real name . I didn't choose what my parents named me . Thanks
    Plus you ask a simple question and get pissed or upset when people give you a simple answer . I don't care what the album sales are I enjoy ADKOT and enjoyed VH3 . Its a different kind of music world we live in today.
    Once again I don't care

Top Of The World
    Last Online

06.15.12 @ 12:41 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Record sales in the pre and post-mp3 eras cannot be compared. While music sales were quite healthy from 1978-1998, 2012 is a wildly different story.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 08:01 PM
    Liked 6,708 Times in 3,727 Posts

i do love that a post titled "simple question" consisted of 5 paragraphs.

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 02:18 PM
    Liked 6,849 Times in 3,587 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    i do love that a post titled "simple question" consisted of 5 paragraphs.

What is the simple question anyway?

Is the Cherone era better than the Roth II era based on record sales?

Matbe I missed something there.

Last Online

10.26.17 @ 04:07 PM
    Liked 104 Times in 58 Posts

That is my real name . I didn't choose what my parents named me . Thanks
    Plus you ask a simple question and get pissed or upset when people give you a simple answer .
    Irony on so many levels.

First, you get your ass chewed by the thread starter after he specifically requests that no one piss on his re-re-re-hashed topic.

Second, and please don't take offense.What is your last name?

And last. Are you possibly from an area where they name their kids the first sound out of their moms mouth after giving birth?
    EDDIE IS THE ULTIMATE ROCK DOG!

Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

simple rhyme
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by vanzefflin View Post
    Irony on so many levels.

First, you get your ass chewed by the thread starter after he specifically requests that no one piss on his re-re-re-hashed topic.

Second, and please don't take offense.What is your last name?

And last. Are you possibly from an area where they name their kids the first sound out of their moms mouth after giving birth?
    Michael Hunt is the name . Don't where it out.
    I had a friend she was named Tamara . When her dad ask her mom what they were going to name their new daughter she said " we will name the baby TOMORROW "

Last Online

10.26.17 @ 04:07 PM
    Liked 104 Times in 58 Posts

Michael Hunt is the name .
    It's not as funny when you say it like that. I like this thread.
    EDDIE IS THE ULTIMATE ROCK DOG!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

02.13.15 @ 01:28 PM
    Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts

It's barely been two months since the album has been out... And, none of the really good radio-friendly songs have been released yet (Blood and Fire, You and Your Blues, Big River, Stay Frosty, etc.). I think you have to give it more than a minute before you start comparing things like this. Let's see how it does first. This tour is going to last a long time... Summer is coming up, and new singles will be released...

Personally, I don't see how anyone can listen to VH3 and ADKOT and not think ADKOT is better, disregarding all sales information. Not that I think VH3 was terrible...

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

08.23.12 @ 01:54 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've read in a lot of threads where the sales figures have been used as a way for a Roth fan to put down the Hagar era based on those numbers (& I say this because the sales from the Roth era that I've seen seem to be better than those for the Hagar albums). While musical taste will always be subjective, the insinuation when these numbers were used was that the numbers don't lie, so that the Roth era must have been better than the hagar era.

Given that ADKOT sits at less than 400,000 sales - which is below VH3 - do you think that this will make people less inclined to use the 'stats' as a form of judgement for how good an album is?

If someone can claim the Roth era better than Hagar using album sales, how can they say that the latest Roth era is better than the Cherone era when (a) sales don't reflect this and (b) musical taste is subjective, so it's not a true barometer.

I should add that I'm a fan of the band irrespective of whom the singer is - this is not a Roth vs Hagar vs Cherone thing. I'm not saying VH3 is better than ADKOT, and I'm not saying that VH3 isn't better than ADKOT. It's just a simple question.

This may have been a relevant post when there was a tower or Virgin or a towering virgin none is the case. Its not the same business. What is really the deciding factor is 20 years later what still holds up? What can be listened to and it still sounds amazing.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 08:21 AM
    Liked 4,808 Times in 2,454 Posts

Premium Member

One shouldn't compare album sales with today's music. Look at what happened with Lady Gaga and Skeletor Madonna. They posted huge sales in week one because of promotional giveaways. Suffered huge losses week two. Comparing the music industry today compared to twenty years is like comparing 24 hour news to Walter Cronkite.

Album sales from years back are like comparing batting averages in baseball. Ty Cobb has the highest yet blacks didn't play and gloves were the size of your hand. However they used a dirty ball and had to play in natural light which makes it tougher to pick up the rotation of the ball. It's like comparing vinyl, 8 track, cassette, C(, mini disk and downloads for album sales.

Plus if you think about it Fair Warning sold less than Diver Down. Which is the better album?

IMO I like one era more than another regardless of sales. I like ADKOT better than About half of VH's catalog with every singer. However it has sold far less. Art isn't defined by popularity. Mozart while popular in his day was nowhere considered as great as he is today.