Register
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 05:44 PM
    Liked 2,802 Times in 1,451 Posts

Default So...are any other musicians re-energized by ADKOT?

Like many others in this local, I'm a guitar player. I play pretty much every day...because it's really fun to do. (And it's sometimes in the "work" category for my band since that's what I do for a living)

But this new VH album has pumped my desire to play to new levels. I can't put the guitar down! I think about playing any time I'm away from the guitar. Heck...for the very first time, I actually want to play like EVH (specifically I'm working on his tap harmonics). He was always my inspiration and hero...but I never even tried to play like him before.

This is a weird wonderful feeling....that is not waning. The best part is, I'm actually becoming a better player...I can feel it. I can't stop grinning at live shows....kinda like a guy named Eddie Van Halen. (That was always my favorite thing about him...that grin....love of music)

Thank you Van Halen!!! It was always fun...but now it's back to being an obsession and I love it!

Eruption
    Last Online

08.17.12 @ 11:19 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Harpospoke View Post
    Like many others in this local, I'm a guitar player. I play pretty much every day...because it's really fun to do. (And it's sometimes in the "work" category for my band since that's what I do for a living)

But this new VH album has pumped my desire to play to new levels. I can't put the guitar down! I think about playing any time I'm away from the guitar. Heck...for the very first time, I actually want to play like EVH (specifically I'm working on his tap harmonics). He was always my inspiration and hero...but I never even tried to play like him before.

This is a weird wonderful feeling....that is not waning. The best part is, I'm actually becoming a better player...I can feel it. I can't stop grinning at live shows....kinda like a guy named Eddie Van Halen. (That was always my favorite thing about him...that grin....love of music)

Thank you Van Halen!!! It was always fun...but now it's back to being an obsession and I love it!
    Absolutely made me want to play more.

Eruption
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 10:33 PM
    Liked 266 Times in 142 Posts

Premium Member

I'm playing a lot more lately, but mostly old VH. The new album has not really moved me to learn it. I don't care much for his new guitar sound. It will never touch the Brown Sound on the six pack.

Favorite VH Album

Love 'em all I says
    Last Online

11.24.17 @ 10:59 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've ordered the EVH wah, cos of the new record !

I'll pick it up tomorrow and give it a good blast over the weekend.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by kiwikotzen View Post
    I've ordered the EVH wah, cos of the new record !

I'll pick it up tomorrow and give it a good blast over the weekend.
    I gotta admit it's tempting to start buying the effects with all the EVH stripes on them. But the problem for me would be that people might expect me to sound like Eddie...and I don't.

Is there something special about that wah pedal that makes it different from others?

Eruption
    Last Online

Premium Member

Is there something special about that wah pedal that makes it different from others?
    I wonder about this too. It seems the wah-wah became popular around 1991 with the F.U.C.K. and Metallica Black albums. Eddie and Kirk used it on almost every song on those albums. I got my first Crybaby around that time and it was a great pedal. I don't see any need to pay more for the painted stripes.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1,107 Times in 675 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I gotta admit it's tempting to start buying the effects with all the EVH stripes on them. But the problem for me would be that people might expect me to sound like Eddie...and I don't.

I have the EVH wah and the Kirk Hammet wah. I like them both. I also have the EVH Phaser and Flanger and they are very cool as well. I have the 2009 USA Wolfgang, a USA Charvel Strat, an EVH 5150 III and a Peavey 6505+. Do I sound like Eddie---not really. The best copy cats in the world just don't have that perfect feel or pick attack. Neither do I. No one I play guitar around expects me to sound like Eddie. I actually play most of Eddie's live guitar solo note for note including all the stuff he does prior to Cathedral. It's cool and it's fun to play. But, I don't go around selling myself as a EVH copy cat or tribute player ect.
    Back to the EVH wah--- It turns the parameter about 150 hz, whereas, most other wah wahs turn the parameter about 100 hz. This means it has a wider sweep. You can get other wahs that turn the parameter much more and have fancy knobs on the side that do all kinds of cool things. That's just not my thing though. The EVH wah, even in bypass, slighly changes the tone of the guitar. It gives the tone a very subtle change for the better in my opinion. A "browner tone" which I have tested many, many times. I have went straight to the amp and played and then added the wah into the signal and it does change the tone ever so slightly. I love it and very rarely play with out it in the signal. The Kirk Hammet wah (in bypass) changes the tone as well. The indicator lights on the EVH wah are very cool and really help out when you have a pedal board full of effects and you are flying high in the moment.
    All of the EVH brand effects are very good and they do not force you to sound like Eddie. They are good, high quality effects that just sound good and work well. This is coming from a guy who has spent years "tone chasing", swapping out pre-amp and power tubes, moving effects around, making patch cables and testing the resistance and capacitance of them and all the other things involved in "tone Chasing". Please note, I am not chasing Eddie's tone---I am chasing MY tone and Eddie's guitars, amps and effects have gotten me very, very close to the tone I am hearing in my mind and obsessed with !!!
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by evhintexas View Post
    I have the EVH wah and the Kirk Hammet wah. I like them both. I also have the EVH Phaser and Flanger and they are very cool as well. I have the 2009 USA Wolfgang, a USA Charvel Strat, an EVH 5150 III and a Peavey 6505+. Do I sound like Eddie---not really. The best copy cats in the world just don't have that perfect feel or pick attack. Neither do I. No one I play guitar around expects me to sound like Eddie. I actually play most of Eddie's live guitar solo note for note including all the stuff he does prior to Cathedral. It's cool and it's fun to play. But, I don't go around selling myself as a EVH copy cat or tribute player ect.
    Back to the EVH wah--- It turns the parameter about 150 hz, whereas, most other wah wahs turn the parameter about 100 hz. This means it has a wider sweep. You can get other wahs that turn the parameter much more and have fancy knobs on the side that do all kinds of cool things. That's just not my thing though. The EVH wah, even in bypass, slighly changes the tone of the guitar. It gives the tone a very subtle change for the better in my opinion. A "browner tone" which I have tested many, many times. I have went straight to the amp and played and then added the wah into the signal and it does change the tone ever so slightly. I love it and very rarely play with out it in the signal. The Kirk Hammet wah (in bypass) changes the tone as well. The indicator lights on the EVH wah are very cool and really help out when you have a pedal board full of effects and you are flying high in the moment.
    All of the EVH brand effects are very good and they do not force you to sound like Eddie. They are good, high quality effects that just sound good and work well. This is coming from a guy who has spent years "tone chasing", swapping out pre-amp and power tubes, moving effects around, making patch cables and testing the resistance and capacitance of them and all the other things involved in "tone Chasing". Please note, I am not chasing Eddie's tone---I am chasing MY tone and Eddie's guitars, amps and effects have gotten me very, very close to the tone I am hearing in my mind and obsessed with !!!
    Thanks. I'm not sure what tone is actually "Eddie" any more. He always sounds good to me...but with a lot of different tones. Heck..the first two albums are way different. Like we've heard all along...most of it is in his fingers.

You probably sound closer to Eddie than I ever will even without trying. I sound as close to Eddie as he sounds to Eric Clapton. It was kinda the revelation early on that Clapton was Eddie's hero which steered me away from learning to do what he does. Lately I'm actually trying to pick up some of his specific techniques though. (Just started using the tap harmonics last night! yay!)

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

02.13.15 @ 01:28 PM
    Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
    I wonder about this too. It seems the wah-wah became popular around 1991 with the F.U.C.K. and Metallica Black albums. Eddie and Kirk used it on almost every song on those albums. I got my first Crybaby around that time and it was a great pedal. I don't see any need to pay more for the painted stripes.
    I know what you're saying as far as who has made it popular recently... But, for the one who made the wah famous, see Hendrix... obviously.

Eruption
    Last Online

Premium Member

Of course. The first wah-wah I ever heard was All Along the Watchtower and the second one was probably 2112 or By-Tor and the Snowdog. But it seems it got really popular around '91. I know when I got my first one, I couldn't stop using it. They are addictive.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

VHII
    Favorite VH Song

Light up the Sky
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 06:41 AM
    Liked 193 Times in 97 Posts

I don't play guitar for a living, but I do play guitar everyday. ADKOT has inspired me to learn the new material and be fired up about VH again.

I learned Blood and Fire, She's the Woman, and As-Is. Those songs are fun to play and I was eager to learn them as soon as I heard them. The new CD defiantly smokes and has really got me!

As for the wah pedal discussion, I don't use one currently. I have a cry baby but I got bred with it, and it seems to mess with my tone when I have it setup in my rig. Can't see myself buying any striped pedals unless I see one for a great price.
    ~ I like the way the line runs up the back of her stockings ~

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by ScottyBHarris View Post
    I learned Blood and Fire, She's the Woman, and As-Is. Those songs are fun to play and I was eager to learn them as soon as I heard them. The new CD defiantly smokes and has really got me!
    I see what you did there...

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.12.16 @ 10:22 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts

Drummer here. Alex (and Ed) continues to be my inspiration. Al's playing on ADKOT floors me and has definitely encouraged me to dust the drums off!

Romeo Delight Chrisvanguitar5150's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

ALL OF EM!
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Strt/Take Your Whiskey HM
    Last Online

10.05.13 @ 02:33 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Well most wahs live, are a pain in the ass because you cannot tell if they are on or off without clicking it so that could be a bad situation, where as the evh wah has 2 super bright led's that tell you when it's on. The tone and range to me is better than any wah, its just got a different sound to it, but I love it, to me it is more vocal and really cries when I want it to!
    "what's a great song? Lot's of people think songs without singing is not a song. Tell that to Beethoven and he'll kick your ass"

"I think Chris might explode if you got the Wolfgang, he would literally explode. We are talking about a man with EVH shoes" - P.T, episode 203 Six String Bliss

Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/chriswaetmusic

Hear my interview with Six String Bliss! : http://sixstringbliss.libsyn.com/retro-zone-episode-9 (57 mins in!)