Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Wolfie's Future

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

12.09.15 @ 09:35 AM
    Liked 184 Times in 74 Posts

Default Wolfie's Future

hey guys.... i know there's speculation (or skeptisism) about if/when Van Halen will make another new studio album. (my guess is they never will, ADKOT takes them out on a high note. hope i'm wrong, just a gut feel.)

but has anyone wondered if Wolfgang Van Halen will go on to be like Dweezil Zappa and/or Jason Bonham, touring/leading shows that celebrate their dad's music? The Van Halen Experience, in some fashion... i'm talkin many years down the road....

and/or: do you see WVH eventually forming his own new band and just going on to his own more anonymous career, like say the Jakob Dylan did with the wallflowers.... or will he simply fade off into the sunset as a trivia question to count his inheritance?

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/HBSD
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 09:34 AM
    Liked 120 Times in 28 Posts

My gut says that after this tour, they announce Wolf is going to either go to college or start his own band. Then, they will do one final reunion album/tour with Mike back. A true final reunion. Ed got the chance to make music and play live with his son. With Mike back, it would be the perfect ending and ticket sales would likely be stronger.

Last Online

10.19.15 @ 11:50 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts

He will at on at least 1 more ""\//-/"" CD, they still have a boat load of unreleased material to rework along with a few new tunes. They are getting along and having a lot of fun doing so! It's been 6 years now since Dave returned to Van Halen, and all is good! Wolf will probably start his own band in the future, but will keep jammin with his dad, and uncle as long as he can!

Last Online

10.19.15 @ 11:50 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Deklon2 View Post
    My gut says that after this tour, they announce Wolf is going to either go to college or start his own band. Then, they will do one final reunion album/tour with Mike back. A true final reunion. Ed got the chance to make music and play live with his son. With Mike back, it would be the perfect ending and ticket sales would likely be stronger.
    Good thought! I'd like to see that, and Mike would do it in a heartbeat! I do think we will see another release or two before the end!

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

The entire 1984 catalog
    Last Online

08.20.13 @ 02:53 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

My gut tells me that people who talk about their gut feelings are usually wrong. Especially when it comes to this band.
    Visit Van Halen - A Different Kind of Timeline. Your Van Halen "coffee table e-book". Music videos, full concerts, documentaries, photos, album releases and more. Scroll through reverse-chronological history of the greatest all-around rock band of all time.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.08.17 @ 01:53 PM
    Liked 285 Times in 146 Posts

It all depends on how interested he is in actually being a professional musician. We really know very little about him beyond he's Eddie's kid and a good bass player.

Other than Alter Bridge, we don't even know anything about the music he likes outside of Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

03.27.16 @ 07:29 PM
    Liked 28 Times in 12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NoBrownM&Ms View Post
    My gut tells me that people who talk about their gut feelings are usually wrong. Especially when it comes to this band.

My gut's hungry.

I kind of hope he hangs around a few years and makes more music because he's still a boy in a man's band. I'd like to see how it might be later.
    (But I'd take the Mikey back thing over that!)
    This is my signature saying someone (you choose) made Van Halen better so I can say "Deal with it".

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/HBSD
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 09:34 AM
    Liked 120 Times in 28 Posts

I guess gut feeling is the wrong term. I just think it's the scenario that makes the most sense. I think you at least double the amount of empty seats on another tour "as is" with Wolf. The exit for Wolf is easy...college, his own band, etc..

Plus, he's more than Ed's kid now. He's toured with Van Halen twice, he has been largely reviewed as an outstanding musician, and my "gut" tells me he had musical influence on some of ADKOT. So, a new band with Wolf Van Halen at the helm could be a success on it's own. One would imagine he would like to do this at some point and be on the road without dad and Uncle Al in the room next to him.

Mike is the final last piece to the legacy puzzle. A record/tour with him when they all are about 60 years old would be the band's full circle completetion.

But like you all have said, since it makes so much sense it's all probably unlikely!

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

unchained-Hear about it later
    Last Online

02.20.17 @ 12:51 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I think Ed was nervous about releasing new music.But with goods sales and reviews of ADKOT,him being clean and sober and Wolfie in the band ,1 more album and small tour.....
    Dave he said " Them motherf%#kers are out of line"

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 01:28 PM
    Liked 2,658 Times in 1,331 Posts

I think I'm more curious about whether we'll ever hear him say a single word.

I guess this is a dumb question or I would have heard something about it but has anyone in the band done so much as a single brief radio interview for an upcoming city or even a promo (We're coming to your town...blah, blah, blah) or anything? It's just amazing that a band of their stature can have a major comeback album and tour where everyone seems to be getting along well on stage at least and it's like they almost don't even exist as real people. I guess virtually anything they could be asked about could tear the whole thing apart. "Where's Mike?", "What do you think of Chickenfoot?", "What did you think of Sammy's book?", etc. So they're having to exist completely removed from the public. I don't mean to sound like I'm complaining because I'm so happy with the album and tour and Eddie being in good shape but it's still just weird. It's like a whole group of Howard Hughes-types.
    Last edited by snowdog; 03.28.12 at 08:15 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 10:48 AM
    Liked 802 Times in 437 Posts

Premium Member

This is going to be long-winded so bear with me. Here's my answer.

I don't know.

TK

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

The entire 1984 catalog
    Last Online

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by snowdog View Post
    I don't mean to sound like I'm complaining because I'm so happy with the album and tour and Eddie being in good shape but it's still just weird. It's like a whole group of Howard Hughes-types.
    I don't really care. Do I have a record? Yes. Do I have a tour? Yes. Roth is making videos online, and he's interviewing the band. What else do we need?

OK. You want more promo? I think this stem from fear that if the album and the tour aren't amazing and break records then Ed will throw in the towel. That might be true but so what. Honestly, who can control this anyways?

I don't quite understand the "why aren't they saying more?" crowd. They're saying enough. And really, why feed the drama fire.

If I were Roth I'd say "We're Howard Hughes types? mmmm . . OK. Sutis us just fine. That's what we want, let the music do the talkin."
    Visit Van Halen - A Different Kind of Timeline. Your Van Halen "coffee table e-book". Music videos, full concerts, documentaries, photos, album releases and more. Scroll through reverse-chronological history of the greatest all-around rock band of all time.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

12.09.15 @ 09:35 AM
    Liked 184 Times in 74 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pickslide View Post
    This is going to be long-winded so bear with me. Here's my answer.

I don't know.

TK

too long, didn't read.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine all Mine, Mean Street
    Last Online

11.22.16 @ 06:34 AM
    Liked 53 Times in 32 Posts

I mentioned this scenario in another thread:

Don't hold your breath for another album of new (thankfully, not really) material.. This one took major heavy lifting to get done as well as a little magic in the form of a father wanting to play with his son..

Expect something more like this?:

Christmas 2012: Live DVD of current tour - MSG or Boston? Hope that Ed does not want to tweak in the studio (RHRN fuck up). No need for anything from '07-'08 please. Bonus disc "the making of ADKOT with the band interviews and other goodies (Dave describing songs and playin with dog). This could slide to 2013 if band adds another leg to tour?

2013: Rest & count $$

2014: Hagar years re-mastered and re-released as band gears up for 2015 tour. Band announces "Best of Both Worlds Tour" with Dave fronting opening hour set. III video's played @ intermission. Sam fronted second, one hour set. Mikey plays a couple songs in each with Wolf playing keyboards on those tunes. Encore - can't visualize one.. Fun tour!

But this is the end of live VH. Eddie plays only at special events. Dave goes to Europe. Al is hard to figure. Sammy keeps performing - becomes more like Bob Weir.. Mike plays with grandkids..

2015: The vaults are finally opened. This is the start of the era where Wolf is now in charge of the VH catalog. He does not start another band. Rather he starts a family and spends a lot of his time:

1) Mastering the great live performances (Oakland, South America, Toronto, Tokyo, etc..) for DVD formats.
    2) Leveraging the VH brand for current media (games, ringtones, live streaming, etc..)
    3) Getting his arms around the "10 years worth" of material in 5150 for release.
    4) Helping dad run the EVH guitar company.

Running the VH brand would be / could be enough work to take care of him and his family through adulthood. I don't know why, but i see him as much more a family man than a true rock & roller for the love of the music - although he is very impressive this tour..

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

The entire 1984 catalog
    Last Online

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by theNine5150 View Post
    I mentioned this scenario in another thread:

Don't hold your breath for another album of new (thankfully, not really) material.. This one took major heavy lifting to get done as well as a little magic in the form of a father wanting to play with his son..

Expect something more like this?:

Christmas 2012: Live DVD of current tour - MSG or Boston? Hope that Ed does not want to tweak in the studio (RHRN fuck up). No need for anything from '07-'08 please. Bonus disc "the making of ADKOT with the band interviews and other goodies (Dave describing songs and playin with dog). This could slide to 2013 if band adds another leg to tour?

2013: Rest & count $$

2014: Hagar years re-mastered and re-released as band gears up for 2015 tour. Band announces "Best of Both Worlds Tour" with Dave fronting opening hour set. III video's played @ intermission. Sam fronted second, one hour set. Mikey plays a couple songs in each with Wolf playing keyboards on those tunes. Encore - can't visualize one.. Fun tour!

But this is the end of live VH. Eddie plays only at special events. Dave goes to Europe. Al is hard to figure. Sammy keeps performing - becomes more like Bob Weir.. Mike plays with grandkids..

2015: The vaults are finally opened. This is the start of the era where Wolf is now in charge of the VH catalog. He does not start another band. Rather he starts a family and spends a lot of his time:

1) Mastering the great live performances (Oakland, South America, Toronto, Tokyo, etc..) for DVD formats.
    2) Leveraging the VH brand for current media (games, ringtones, live streaming, etc..)
    3) Getting his arms around the "10 years worth" of material in 5150 for release.
    4) Helping dad run the EVH guitar company.

Running the VH brand would be / could be enough work to take care of him and his family through adulthood. I don't know why, but i see him as much more a family man than a true rock & roller for the love of the music - although he is very impressive this tour..
    Well, some of that COULD happen but no one really knows. Asking us to not hold our breath is a bit of a stretch. At best you only have a 50/50 chance of being right.