Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

02.22.16 @ 08:29 AM
    Liked 4 Times in 1 Post

Donor

If you're buying a Wolfgang guitar

Hey guitar guys!

Just wanted to pass this along... zZounds.com is doing a special right now: if you buy a Wolfgang from them, you get 10 free packs of official EVH strings. Pretty cool if you were planning on buying a Wolfie already. (zZounds also has a no-interest 10-payment plan for these big-ticket items, which is better than putting it on a credit card if you're a mere mortal who can't drop $3K on a guitar.)

Best of all, there's a big banner in the rotation at the top of http://www.zzounds.com, with the headline... SHRED LIKE ED, featuring Eddie's smiling face
    www.mayakuper.com

"VH rocked Staples like a foot rocks grapes in Naples." - mistere

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:32 AM
    Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts

Donor

Thanks for passing that along. Looks like the same offer for all the Wolfies, not just the $3k ones.

Which brings me to ask this question--what's the biggest differences between the $1200 ones and the $3000 ones? I've got an Ibanez JS100 with upgraded pickups that I love plucking around on, and might trade up.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Last Online

08.07.17 @ 08:14 PM
    Liked 313 Times in 149 Posts

Donor

From what I've read, quality of construction and tone is the biggest differences...

The $3K US models very rarely get any negative reviews and I haven't heard of any issues...

The $1200 Japan models have had a decent number of negative reviews and all sorts of issues all across the board.

If you're gonna look for the cheap one, play it first or buy from someone who has a return policy if you're ordering online...
    Jet City Super Stealth
    Marshall 50th Anniversary JCM-1H and Class 5 Combo
    Austin Speaker Works KTS-60

Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jaybird View Post
    Thanks for passing that along. Looks like the same offer for all the Wolfies, not just the $3k ones.

Which brings me to ask this question--what's the biggest differences between the $1200 ones and the $3000 ones? I've got an Ibanez JS100 with upgraded pickups that I love plucking around on, and might trade up.
    USA= Arch-top, 5 ply body,head stock binding, USA wages. Japan= Flat-top, 1 ply binding.......Go to EVH.com and look at the specs........
    Last edited by Wolfgang Bob; 03.27.12 at 04:21 PM.
    "When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross"............... Dirty Harry

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fast98dodge View Post
    From what I've read, quality of construction and tone is the biggest differences...

The $1200 Japan models have had a decent number of negative reviews and all sorts of issues all across the board.
    Could you please elaborate on what you READ about "quality of construction" and "all sorts of issues all across the board"??? Iv'e only READ about two people having the E string slip off the board (easy neck fix) and some rough fret edges (common problem) I have'nt READ about anybody returning them........
    "When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross"............... Dirty Harry

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1,107 Times in 675 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I have a 2009 Vintage White Wolf (serial number under 200) I have no complaints. The neck pick up is a little beefy sounding but after watching Eddie use it in concert and on Youtube---I saw how he meant for it to be used.
    Hmmmm 10 easy payments huh---sounds like I may need to add a Stealth to the collection !!!
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfgang Bob View Post
    Could you please elaborate on what you READ about "quality of construction" and "all sorts of issues all across the board"??? Iv'e only READ about two people having the E string slip off the board (easy neck fix) and some rough fret edges (common problem) I have'nt READ about anybody returning them........
    Neck fixes and rough fret edges aren't enough??? If I bought one and had ANY issues, it would be returned in a heartbeat. I don't want to buy a guitar for over a grand and have to work on it...

The other things I've READ (for some reason, that word in the context I used it in rubs you the wrong way) is inconsistent tone, some are muddy, some are thin, etc...

All I'm saying is be careful when buying a Special because from what I've READ, they do not have the consistency that the US ones have.

I was very close to buying one online until I started digging for info in comparison to the US version. I READ enough to turn me away from buying it. I felt it would be a gamble and a potential headache.

If someone has a good one, great! If someone wants to buy one, great! Ed is supposedly a stickler for quality so hearing some of this negative stuff surprised me to say the least. I never heard of any issues with the Ernie Balls or the Peaveys.
    Jet City Super Stealth

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

No offense man, but since when is having the high e slip off of the frets because of neck misalignment an easy fix? Most people are not equipped, or experienced in guitar work enough, to pull the neck off of a brand new $1200 guitar, drill out the neck screw holes, dowel and fill them, re-route and/or shim the side of the neck pocket, clamp the neck in the new position without damaging the body finish or frets, re-drill the neck screw holes, and get the thing lined up perfectly. The other repair option would be to drill out, dowel, and move the floyd rose stud holes in the body, which is generally even harder... especially when you're trying to preserve a brand new shiny finish. And then of course you risk having your pickups misaligned under the strings.

On the other hand, if I spend even $300 on a brand new guitar, I would not be happy if I had to do this kind of fixing right off the bat to correct a FACTORY ERROR.

If you look closely at the Guitar World ads since the EVH Wolfgang Special came out, they have giant clear full page pictures of the guitar, and in many of the ads, you can see the high e string riding the very edge of the frets -- right where they are rounded off! And that's with no one touching the guitar. A guitar like that would be almost unplayable.

And then I wonder... if the 'best looking' one that they hand-picked out of the production line to be in the national ads has a severe and very visible neck misalignment, how are 'regular' Wolfgang Specials gonna have better/different QC? Kinda scary.

So I've got nothing against anyone buying a Special instead of a USA... but MAKE SURE YOU GO AND ACTUALLY PLAY THE ONE YOU WILL BE BUYING BEFORE HAND!
    Last edited by mrjstudios; 03.27.12 at 08:06 PM.

Eruption
    Last Online

06.30.17 @ 01:26 AM
    Liked 131 Times in 74 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrjstudios View Post
    No offense man, but since when is having the high e slip off of the frets because of neck misalignment an easy fix? Most people are not equipped, or experienced in guitar work enough, to pull the neck off of a brand new $1200 guitar, drill out the neck screw holes, dowel and fill them, re-route and/or shim the side of the neck pocket, clamp the neck in the new position without damaging the body finish or frets, re-drill the neck screw holes, and get the thing lined up perfectly. The other repair option would be to drill out, dowel, and move the floyd rose stud holes in the body, which is generally even harder... especially when you're trying to preserve a brand new shiny finish. And then of course you risk having your pickups misaligned under the strings.

On the other hand, if I spend even $300 on a brand new guitar, I would not be happy if I had to do this kind of fixing right off the bat to correct a FACTORY ERROR.

If you look closely at the Guitar World ads since the EVH Wolfgang Special came out, they have giant clear full page pictures of the guitar, and in many of the ads, you can see the high e string riding the very edge of the frets -- right where they are rounded off! And that's with no one touching the guitar. A guitar like that would be almost unplayable.

And then I wonder... if the 'best looking' one that they hand-picked out of the production line to be in the national ads has a severe and very visible neck misalignment, how are 'regular' Wolfgang Specials gonna have better/different QC? Kinda scary.

So I've got nothing against anyone buying a Special instead of a USA... but MAKE SURE YOU GO AND ACTUALLY PLAY THE ONE YOU WILL BE BUYING BEFORE HAND!

yep. and think of it this way, the usa wolf is the mercedes, and the special is the volkswagon. they both are transportation but you get the picture.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

I'll address these issues as well.
    I have not spoken much about them at length, but when in Rome...

I have played a few Specials, two of which had the high E problem. One was actually right on the money, but a Black one I played was absolutely horrible for the string rolling off the fretboard at the 14th. fret and above. All three sounded a bit different from what I can recall. Not bad, but just different, and the feel is miles away from the USA. It actually feels slightly dead, like there isn't much interaction of vibration through the body. This goes away patched in, but acoustically, it just does not have that natural resonance, at least to me. This may be the lack of the maple cap, and a different grade of basswood, and anyone who has played a variety of basswood bodied guitars knows that there can be major differences from one to the next. Though it's a fairly even wood throughout, and lacks a heavy skeletonized grain (which theoretically affects vibration efficiency which is part of what makes one guitar sound different from the next) It's still not as easily predictable just as some other traditional tonewoods.

Some is balsa soft, while some is slightly harder. Some can sound muddy, while others can sound very crisp. All isolate more bass, and mids than typical mahogany, swamp ash...the typical favorite open grained tonewoods, but with a well selected cut, lending more to the poplar side in tone and response without the brightness. It's generally considered fairly neutral with not so much coloring of tone, but there always is some, and the cut, moisture content are key factors here.
    The test mule amp was the EVH head for all three (at different times mind you, but the same demo amp). The funny thing was that the neck in relation to the pickups, and the dot markers never seemed off (strings unevenly spaced against the dots , so it seems almost like too much material was removed from the neck rather than an out and out misalignment, and the necks are tight in the pocket. You'd be hard pressed to get any material down the side of the neck and the body.
    It could be just perception, but the USA just feels a bit wider high up on the neck, though I've never taken a measurement.

As far as the frets.....I think this is actually a given considering these guitars are made off shore in higher humidity climates. I read somewhere on a guitar board. (Possibly Gibson's) where someone asked about frets poking out the side of therosewood of the fretboard after a couple months, and a mod said that this was due to the wood shrinking, and that the reason was because the relative humidity where it was made was likely considerably higher than the guitar's ultimate destination. His solution was to invest in an in case guitar humidifier, and to oil the fretboard with lemon oil every so often.

Okay. That said, it seems reasonable on an offshore guitar that most likely has a finished neck that it could have a bit of shrinkage, but then consider the Wolf's specs. The neck has no finish, and is far more susceptable to moisture changes.
    So the concept in itself holds merit, but maybe this is a concession they should have made. Maybe on the offshore models, they should offer an oil finish, or possibly even a thin skin satin finish.
    This would change the marketing strategy, but I think they'd have a hell of a lot less complaints over the quality.
    Keep in mind, some Asian countries can have humidity levels at certain times of the year that never drop below 86%. Japan included.
    Right now in my neck of the woods, (and it's been raining for weeks here) Indoors, in my guitar room, is averaging between 39% and 43% at an average temp range between 72F. and 76%F., and I've got a couple guitars where I can feel a few fret edges, though slightly.

In the Summer, the highest humidity/temps level indoors here is about 74% or 75%..maybe slightly higher at times, at an average temp. range of 80F. to 90F. I never feel sharp frets on my guitars in the Summer, and on mahogany necks, I usually have to make slight trussrod adjustments seasonally. My maple neck guitars, even ones with little or no finish never have to be adjusted, but these necks are quite old and stabilized.
    I'm not making any excuses for these guitars though, and I remember when I heard they were going to be made in Japan (or possibly even Malaysia back when news was breaking) with the same neck finish and cavity specs, that this could be a can of worms.
    I've had a ton of offshore guitars,and even some domestics come through my hands with fret/adjustment issues....Even more since manufacturers are offering more thin skin and "road worn" finishes since the craze took off.

Bottom line, I think they are an okay guitar, but the price is too high to be willingly selling an instrument with an obvious playability issue, and they have to fix what they've been doing wrong, and this may be in progress. I've seen many reports of these issues with the Special, and you know Fender has to be aware of it.
    Last edited by we die young; 03.28.12 at 12:06 AM.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

judgement day/ me wise magic
    Last Online

06.12.16 @ 07:51 PM
    Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts

Donor

Maya! Welcome back!
    """"\//-/""""

The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!

www.myspace.com/mikesisca

"If ladies want Valentines Day so bad either make Superbowl Sunday an actual holiday or give guys Steak and Blowjob Day and we'll call it even." T.RYAN, sharing thoughts on valentine's day.

" SHUT UP, FAGGOT." - Vinnie Velvet, showing off that sharp wit of his.

DIRTY SANCHEZ- It's not just for breakfast anymore!

Originally posted by FORD
    History tells us that oppressive nations build walls to keep people IN, not out.
    (See "Berlin Wall" and "Likud Israel" for examples) FORD- when i told him i'd build a wall between the US and Mexico.

then ill build it from the mexican side. -my reply.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fast98dodge View Post
    Neck fixes and rough fret edges aren't enough??? If I bought one and had ANY issues, it would be returned in a heartbeat. I don't want to buy a guitar for over a grand and have to work on it...

The other things I've READ (for some reason, that word in the context I used it in rubs you the wrong way) is inconsistent tone, some are muddy, some are thin, etc...

All I'm saying is be careful when buying a Special because from what I've READ, they do not have the consistency that the US ones have.

I was very close to buying one online until I started digging for info in comparison to the US version. I READ enough to turn me away from buying it. I felt it would be a gamble and a potential headache.

If someone has a good one, great! If someone wants to buy one, great! Ed is supposedly a stickler for quality so hearing some of this negative stuff surprised me to say the least. I never heard of any issues with the Ernie Balls or the Peaveys.
    Thanks for the replys guys! The word READ didnt rub me the wrong way, it's just when I say something about a guitar, it's one that I actually played, that's all. Sorry you took it the wrong way. Most guitars that I buy dont come out of the box or hanger thats set-up to play how I/we like it anyway's.

Yes, frets-ends and neck alinements are unacceptable and would return it. My EVH MM needed a neck adjustment (E slipping off the board) and my three Peaveys (first year quilt included) all needed the frets shaved down, and all three sounded different. (couldn't return either)

I do have a Wolf Special Stealth on order ( haven't heard anything bad about them yet) and I'll do a side-by-side compairson with USA EVH that I have. (bet they sound different) and let everybody know the difference. Just hope no issues with this one from Japan, wait till there made in Mexico after this last batch come's through.............

Favorite VH Album

All of them. except for III
    Favorite VH Song

Currently: Six Pack
    Last Online

09.09.13 @ 02:35 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Thanks for the replys guys! The word READ didnt rub me the wrong way, it's just when I say something about a guitar, it's one that I actually played, that's all. Sorry you took it the wrong way. Most guitars that I buy dont come out of the box or hanger thats set-up to play how I/we like it anyway's.

Yes, frets-ends and neck alinements are unacceptable and would return it. My EVH MM needed a neck adjustment (E slipping off the board) and my three Peaveys (first year quilt included) all needed the frets shaved down, and all three sounded different. (couldn't return either)

I do have a Wolf Special Stealth on order ( haven't heard anything bad about them yet) and I'll do a side-by-side compairson with USA EVH that I have. (bet they sound different) and let everybody know the difference. Just hope no issues with this one from Japan, wait till there made in Mexico after this last batch come's through.............

So they are shifting production to Mexico???

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Last Online

Donor

It's all good...

Interesting you had a few issues with the EBMM and the Peaveys...

Mexico, huh??? Tell us more... (not surprised if they did move production there...would make sense)
    Jet City Super Stealth

Last Online

12.14.17 @ 09:23 PM
    Liked 93 Times in 37 Posts

Man, this thread is going and now we have two people trying to sell their Specials in the Ebay and For Sale thread. I know I was 99% ready to pull the trigger on a Sunburst Special a few months ago and I believe AMS had a 12 month no interest plan going. Then I read about the various issues back then and got cold feel, along the lines of what "98" was saying. Now especially after seeing Ed live up close twice recently I'm *convinced* that I need a USA model. What I really need is to have my head examined...