Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:34 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

Premium Member

Default 03.26.12: Van Halen @ Sovereign Center - Reading, PA - REVIEWS & SET LIST

Here's the review thread for the Reading show on 03.26.12.

Please note, unless you went to the show you shouldn't be posting a review. Please let's try to keep these clean by just having reviews in them.

For banter about the show, use the UPDATE & DISCUSSION thread for that.

Thanks!

Set List (Complete)

-------

1. Unchained
    2. Runnin' With The Devil
    3. She's The Woman
    4. Romeo Delight
    5. Tattoo
    6. Everybody Wants Some!!
    7. Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    8. China Town
    9. Jamie's Cryin
    10. (Oh!) Pretty Woman
    11. Alex's Drum Solo
    12. You Really Got Me
    13. Blood and Fire
    14. Dance The Night Away
    15. I'll Wait
    16. Hot For Teacher
    17. Women In Love
    18. Girl Gone Bad
    19. Beautiful Girls
    20. Ice Cream Man
    21. Panama
    22. Eddie's Guitar Solo
    23. Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    24. Jump
    A little zen....... Headed your way.......

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

11.24.17 @ 06:35 AM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

1. Unchained
    2. Runnin' With The Devil
    3. She's The Woman
    4. Romeo Delight
    5. Tattoo
    6. Everybody Wants Some!!
    7. Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    8. China Town
    9. Jamie's Cryin
    10. (Oh!) Pretty Woman
    11. Alex's Drum Solo
    12. You Really Got Me
    13. Blood and Fire
    14. Dance The Night Away
    15. I'll Wait
    16. Hot For Teacher
    17. Women In Love
    18. Girl Gone Bad
    19. Beautiful Girls
    20. Ice Cream Man
    21. Panama
    22. Eddie's Guitar Solo
    23. Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    24. Jump
    Well ain't life grand when you finally hit it, I'm always a sucker for a real good time, woke up in life to find i almost missed it,aint I glad that love is blind

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:34 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

Premium Member

Cheers Mike
    A little zen....... Headed your way.......

Favorite VH Album

The one with Ed on guitar.
    Favorite VH Song

The one with Ed's amazing solo
    Last Online

12.05.17 @ 03:49 PM
    Liked 186 Times in 92 Posts

Blood and Fiiiiiiiiiiiiiire!
    "I could call it anything, but the only word I can think of is Brown. It's just a warm sound. Warm, big, majestic" - Eddie Van Halen on his Tone

"Van Halen is definitely a ladies band, and I´ve got the Polaroids to prove it". - David Lee Roth

WOLFGANG did the IMPOSSIBLE, he brought back VAN HALEN, DEAL WITH IT.

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:16 PM
    Liked 93 Times in 37 Posts

Got in a little while ago and took some time to put my thoughts together. The show was un-fucking-believable, better than AC if you can believe that. This is a small town / small arena but the boys brought their A game fo sho. The songs that were different from the core set list were Romeo Delight and Girl Gone Bad, and as reported earlier in the thread they played Jamie's Cryin' (didn't see that one coming!) and Blood And Fire (!!). I just couldn't believe it when I heard the opening notes of Blood and Fire. Plus, unlike when they played it at the Henson warmup show, Dave DID do his lines in the middle but I think he modified them a little. I think he said "told ya we were coming back", "say ya missed us". Have to catch that on youtube to see if I heard it right! Not a complaint at all since the volume covered up any missteps, but I think there were some problems again during the BAF chorus. Dave took out one of his in-ear monitors on the chorus for the last few times. If they play it more they will work this out. The music to this song is so incredible that they have to keep playing it now that the cat is out of the bag- Ed REALLY rips on the solo live.

Speaking of "hearing it right", I think the guys at the sound board dialed in the same settings that were used at the larger AC arena since it was definitely louder at the Reading show. I was 6th row, Floor 2, almost dead center. I was looking almost dead on at Al's double bass drums. Certain upper frequencies make my ears reverberate inside when the volume hits a certain level (ask any guitar player about that) and I didn't have a db meter there but I'm certain it was louder. Still a pretty clear mix though and I didn't have any problems picking out Ed's guitar, even with the massive low end from Wolfgang. Man that kid is really bringing it. Yes he's playing Mike's CVH lines but he's doing all kinds of fills in between which really help to thicken up the sound. And the backing vocals were once again stellar, but a hand really has to go out to Ed there as well. With each show it seems they are dialing back the "Tattoo, Tattoo" backing vocals in the mix just a little bit to the point where they are perfect now. In some of the earlier shows they seemed to be a bit pronounced. Songs like Women In Love which rely heavily on those CVH backing vocals, what can you say. If you close your eyes you almost think you're at the '79 tour. The difference for me there is that in those days I was always in the 300 level nosebleeds.

Even with all of the modern EVH equipment, Ed is coaxing out a brownish sound on this tour. It's night and day when compared to that horrible nasal tone he had during the '07 portion of the last tour. For anyone into the tech end of things, you know that his modern equipment is in no way close at all to what he was using back in the day. Gives a lot of credence to the old tone is in the fingers argument. I've been watching Ed's use of the pickup selector and he's really working that thing. He's mixing it up with the neck pickup and the center position quite a bit to get those warmer tones. Says to me that he still has some hearing left!

I'm still a bit shell-shocked. I'll leave the song by song analysis to others. The mighty VH has kicked my ass something fierce for the second time in three days! Thing is, it just leaves me wanting more. If there was a VH cover band playing somewhere locally I would head right out to see them now! If these guys add another leg to the tour and hit Hershey I will be as close to the front as possible again.

One final note- Dave used his "I forgot the fuckin' words, follow me to the chorus" in Chinatown AND he asked at full volume during one of the songs to cut the blowers since they were hitting him right in the face. I think this line is now part of his schtick, since when he said it I didn't see a single one of the hairs on his head moving from any excessive amount of airflow. haha

Last Online

01.09.13 @ 04:01 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Holy shitttttttt!

Blood and Fire!!!

Light up the Sky??!!!!

Eruption
    Last Online

07.05.12 @ 12:43 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Review-

Fun show but I would say the worst of the 4 I've seen (MSG X2 and Philly). I'll skip the usual stuff and just tell you some particulars...

Dave had a brief blower bitchfest as he's wont to do. "Turn off the fuckin' blower, it's aimed right at my face!!!"

Dave fell on his ass doing that mic stand squat thing during Romeo Delight. Slipped on the dance floor and fell on his ass. Got up and laughed it off saying "Now that was a UNION fall!" whatever that's supposed to mean.

At the end of (I think Runnin' with the Devil) Dave stood there for a few seconds after the song and then said "Hey, how about you turn off the fuckin spotlight so we can start the next song, dimwit!"

I'm thinking Dave is not much fun to work for.

Dave pulled his pants down again to show his tats. Eww. He's got a really boney ass..dude is borderline anorexic I think.

Was not a good night for Dave vocally. He sounded awful in some spots.

Dave had a neon orange mic stand. Is that new?

Was expecting a real nuts and bolts setlist in Reading but was cool to get a couple curve balls. Janie's crying sounded great.

Blood and Fire sounded great too (musically) but Dave slaughtered it. It was like the song was being given an autopsy while it was still alive. Dave really needs a vocal coach.

As always, Women In Love was the best song of the night. Dave sounds so good doing that one you realize he IS capable of doing these songs right. But he's all over the map this tour as has been well documented.

The band was great, the sound fantastic and it's a joy to watch Eddie play.

Sound was ok but the bass drum was really weak. I was in the 3rd row so that might have something to do with it.

One weird thing...the first three rows had NO aisles. I have never seen any shit like that before. I guess they decided to stick in an extra 6 seats!? So you had three rows about 50 seats wide. Wasn't a big fan of that it was pretty claustrophobic.
    Last edited by crazy levi; 03.27.12 at 10:56 AM.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

All, but a VERY few!
    Last Online

11.03.16 @ 02:00 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by crazy levi View Post
    Janie's crying sounded great.
    Wow! "Janie's" crying? Really?

Last Online

12.11.17 @ 03:15 PM
    Liked 160 Times in 83 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by evhesq View Post
    Wow! "Janie's" crying? Really?
    They played "Janie's Got a Gun"?
    Right here I say....

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH, WACF, FW, 5150, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Unchained/InASR/5150
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 04:30 AM
    Liked 298 Times in 161 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by right-here-i-say View Post
    They played "Janie's Got a Gun"?
    Dude, it's Jamie's Got A Gun. I can't leave you alone for one minute!

"The shit I read on this site." -- Dave's Dreidel (Nov 6th, 2013)

"Don't ever confuse talent with fame." -- Bob Lefsetz

"There's very little greatness in this world, but in the crucible of quality there's a special corner reserved for Van Halen." -- Bob Lefsetz