Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

11.10.14 @ 08:02 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dave's Pipes: DLR Band VS ADKOT

So I was driving home last night and I listened to bits and pieces of the DLR Band album for the first time in awhile... I am totally blown away by the change in Dave's voice since that album versus ADKOT. I'd be really interested to hear what kind of vocal coaching or rehab Dave went through with his voice- b/c he sounded horrible on that album and he sounds AMAZING on ADKOT!He really does sound like good 'ol dave from the 80's... Are there things that aren't the same since '84? Absolutely- but his sound is also refined now. I also wonder if Ed's music is just at a range that compliments Dave's abilities and range... Obviously it is on the album- but I wonder if thats the way Ed originally writes it?
    Anyway just an observation and i'd be curious to hear what anyone else thinks...
    "One thing about Ed..., ONE THING about Ed... (heh, heh...), when he has a guitar around his neck, he's not tryin' to bullshit
    anybody." Sammy Hagar, in Charlotte, NC during the Sam & Dave tour, introing into Finish What Ya Started.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street/Unchained
    Last Online

11.06.14 @ 04:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think the production on ADKOT is a million miles away better than DLR Band. I think that has a lot to do with it. I always felt that Dave was trying way too hard to scream the words on several of the DLR band songs when it wasn't needed. I think on songs like Wa Wa Zat!!, Slam Dunk, Black Sand, Little Texas and Lose the Dress (Keep The Shoes) he sounds good though. Plus having Eddie on guitars doesn't hurt!

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 02:13 AM
    Liked 1,479 Times in 901 Posts

The technology is better and I think Dave had some coaching this time around.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 08:31 AM
    Liked 2,657 Times in 1,331 Posts

Good editing basically. He even described it in one of those recent video interview segments where he would just go in and sing a vocal line over and over and from each take the producer might select just that word or this phrase and piece them together. I think Dave's great but the reality is that if you just let him sing and tried to use a complete take of a song as it is, even if you had 30 full takes to choose from, you'd have a lot of really bad moments.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 07:47 AM
    Liked 18,126 Times in 8,952 Posts

I have a producer as a client, and he told me last year that he has gone so far as to cut and splice letter sounds in a word.

To me that is nuts and takes away from what makes Rock music great, but to each his own.

DLR Band is a well produced demo unfortunately, as there are some real gems on it.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Pope Of Greenwich Village SuckaInA3Piece's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

08.28.17 @ 03:27 PM
    Liked 98 Times in 54 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post

DLR Band is a well produced demo unfortunately, as there are some real gems on it.
    Glad I'm not the only one that thinks this. I remember purchasing the cd single for Slam Dunk, and was so excited to hear the rest of the album. I played it for my friend Kevin, who unfortunately died of cancer one year later. He was not so much a VH or DLR fan, just a fan of good music. For two high school seniors in the midst of the Puff Daddy's and the shit rock of the late 90's, DLR Band hit the spot for sure. Love the album, even with it's flaws.

I'll take ADKOT DLR all day, but DLR's attitude is splattered all over DLR Band. He kept true to his roots even when he really didn't have too. Considering the overall tone of VH 3, I was glad to have DLR Band to lean on for straight forward Rock n Roll.
    "It's always a Catch-22 situation. They hate you if you're the same, and they hate you if you're different."
    ~Eddie Van Halen~

"The perfect woman has an IQ of 150, wants to make love until 4 in the morning, and then turns into a pizza."
    ~David Lee Roth~

Sucka'sFacebook

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

11.27.17 @ 06:50 PM
    Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    I have a producer as a client, and he told me last year that he has gone so far as to cut and splice letter sounds in a word.

To me that is nuts and takes away from what makes Rock music great, but to each his own.

Actually i would rather have perfect takes and sound on a CD ... i don't want it raw and sounding like dave is in his late 50's. I get that live ..but in my car ... perfectly produced please

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 07:47 AM
    Liked 18,126 Times in 8,952 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VHFAN_ALL3 View Post
    Actually i would rather have perfect takes and sound on a CD ... i don't want it raw and sounding like dave is in his late 50's. I get that live ..but in my car ... perfectly produced please
    Yeah, but there is taking the best line one verse from take four, the best line two verse from take seven producing, which I am fine with, versus take a word here and a word there or even actually replacing letters.

The later to me is a ridiculous extreme, but that's just me.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

On Fire
    Last Online

11.28.16 @ 06:39 AM
    Liked 14 Times in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Legend of Roth View Post
    I think the production on ADKOT is a million miles away better than DLR Band. I think that has a lot to do with it. I always felt that Dave was trying way too hard to scream the words on several of the DLR band songs when it wasn't needed. I think on songs like Wa Wa Zat!!, Slam Dunk, Black Sand, Little Texas and Lose the Dress (Keep The Shoes) he sounds good though. Plus having Eddie on guitars doesn't hurt!

Agree with the Legend.

I did not get DLRB until 2000 and it did not leave the player until 2002
    I enjoyed it so much more than III which I tried to like.

I just gave a away the copy of ADKOT I had in the truck
    then
    looking for something to play, I found DLRB.

I still like DLRB as much as Valerie said she likes it.

As I have posted before, if you could combine DLRB & III, the result would have been unbelievable!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars
    Last Online

08.24.15 @ 08:58 AM
    Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SuckaInA3Piece View Post
    I'll take ADKOT DLR all day, but DLR's attitude is splattered all over DLR Band. He kept true to his roots even when he really didn't have too. Considering the overall tone of VH 3, I was glad to have DLR Band to lean on for straight forward Rock n Roll.
    Really well-said, imo I'll add that Sammy really did the same on "Marching to Mars."

I think that DLR sounds much better on ADKoT -- and he was singing great on that stretch from the 2nd night at MSG to Montreal... He sounded great at Atlantic City too.

I hope that he keeps it up -- he's working magic on this tour, imo, with his stage presence and the vox (as usual w/ DLR) are secondary, but they're "damn good," to quote the man himself.
    Springfield, MASS. - Hartford, CONN. =VH= Fans UNITE!

Last Online

01.24.13 @ 01:44 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I like the album, but never has Michael Anthony been more needed. It's just too much Dave without a 1984 voice. It would have been great to have Mike helping hold up the vocals, and give Dave the needed breaks - like with Me Wise Magic.

Honestly, when I hear the songs, it sounds like Dave is singing behind the band, instead of in front of it. That's almost the mental picture I get - Dave standing behind the drums. Maybe that was planned because his reduced voice needs to blend in with the music more, rather than stand out by itself.

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:34 PM
    Liked 18 Times in 7 Posts

When did Val say she likes DLRBand?
    "The only adventures I regret are the ones I missed" David Lee Roth

Van Halen- Atlanta - 98
    David Lee Roth - Atlanta - 02
    Sammy Hagar & David Lee Roth - Atlanta - 02
    David Lee Roth. Atlanta - 03
    Van Halen - Atlanta - 04
    Van Halen - Atlanta - 08
    Chickenfoot - Atlanta - 09

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

10.01.15 @ 06:45 PM
    Liked 179 Times in 57 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SuckaInA3Piece View Post
    Glad I'm not the only one that thinks this. I remember purchasing the cd single for Slam Dunk, and was so excited to hear the rest of the album. I played it for my friend Kevin, who unfortunately died of cancer one year later. He was not so much a VH or DLR fan, just a fan of good music. For two high school seniors in the midst of the Puff Daddy's and the shit rock of the late 90's, DLR Band hit the spot for sure. Love the album, even with it's flaws.

I agree! I love the DLR band disc and it was a breath of fresh air at the time.
    Great point!

I just really dig Dave's voice and whole vibe. I don't care if it's young banshee screaming or older smokey voiced inhale scream Dave. He's got one of the coolest voices/deliveries/personalities in rock history imo. People like to talk range and all that. Often insult and or compare him on that. Try to dilute his genius. I'm a fan of singers like that too no doubt but I'm not going to hate on ..um...Angus Young for example for not being a hyper shredder..in the same regard I don't like Dave less cause he's not a Mariah Carey. lol

Dave's voice is stronger on ADKOT but DLR Band is good as well. A lot of great songs, great attitude and hooks. It was pretty much a indy self funded thing. Turned out awesome but my guess is if he was in VH at that time and released music his vocals (performance/preparation etc) would have been beyond what he did on dlr band.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]