Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street/Unchained
    Last Online

11.06.14 @ 04:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Will heavy competition cause VH to wait till fall for a 2nd leg of tour?

I know a lot of us are waiting to see if Van Halen will announce a 2nd leg of the tour to hit some missed cities and states. But I am wondering if maybe they will wait till the fall to start back up. I say this because Van Halen would face a TON of competition for the average rock fan's ticket money this summer. I can't remember a summer in a long time with so many of classic rock's top acts out on tour. VH would have to compete with tours that feature big acts sharing bills like KISS/Motley Crue, Aerosmith/Cheap Trick, Def Leppard/Poison, Iron Madien/Alice Cooper, Styx/REO/Ted Nugent, Scorpions/Tesla, and a few more. With ticket prices being as high as they are I don't think the average rock fan will be able to afford to go see every band this year, I know I won't be able to. I wonder if VH are playing it smart and will take the summer off or maybe do some European dates and hit the states in the fall where they won't face as much competition, at least as long as they are charging as much for tickets with just Kool and the Gang as an opening act.

Last Online

05.08.15 @ 01:28 AM
    Liked 620 Times in 379 Posts

"KISS/Motley Crue, Aerosmith/Cheap Trick, Def Leppard/Poison, Iron Madien/Alice Cooper, Styx/REO/Ted Nugent, Scorpions/Tesla"

Oh please. VAN HALEN is all about the summertime and will play in the summer unless they want the summer off, but I don't like presenting VAN HALEN as being scared to compete with the mostly washed up bands you listed. And I doubt an economic incentive (if one even exists) would make VH take the summer off. It is obvious - in many, many ways - that they are not purely motivated by economics these days and that, despite that fact, they are doing just fine in the $-department.

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 614 Times in 290 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Legend of Roth View Post
    I know a lot of us are waiting to see if Van Halen will announce a 2nd leg of the tour to hit some missed cities and states. But I am wondering if maybe they will wait till the fall to start back up. I say this because Van Halen would face a TON of competition for the average rock fan's ticket money this summer. I can't remember a summer in a long time with so many of classic rock's top acts out on tour. VH would have to compete with tours that feature big acts sharing bills like KISS/Motley Crue, Aerosmith/Cheap Trick, Def Leppard/Poison, Iron Madien/Alice Cooper, Styx/REO/Ted Nugent, Scorpions/Tesla, and a few more. With ticket prices being as high as they are I don't think the average rock fan will be able to afford to go see every band this year, I know I won't be able to. I wonder if VH are playing it smart and will take the summer off or maybe do some European dates and hit the states in the fall where they won't face as much competition, at least as long as they are charging as much for tickets with just Kool and the Gang as an opening act.
    I love how those bands just seem to tag a long with each other switching partners every summer. In some ways Id rather VH tour every few years and sell out the arena's then every summer.
    VH RULES!
    21 Shows Attended 1993-2015

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street/Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

LOL... I wasn't trying to imply that Van Halen are scared of competing with the other bands, but I'm looking at it in a business way of what they are up against. I'm sorry but the average rock fan out there who does have a little spending money to go to a few concerts this summer will only be able to go to what they can afford. And I'm going to be honest here in saying that the prices for Van Halen tickets are not cheap. Are they worth it for guys like you and me...HELL YEAH. But the audience isn't just made up of die-hards like us that will spend $160 for a lower arena ticket. And I bet there are many average rock fans that will want more bang for the buck so to speak and might go to a show where there are TWO headliners like a KISS and Motely Crue show. While I thought they were OK, Kool and the Gang might not sway some buyers to spend a little more to see Van Halen this summer. Just saying...

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street/Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mike zack View Post
    I love how those bands just seem to tag a long with each other switching partners every summer. In some ways Id rather VH tour every few years and sell out the arena's then every summer.
    I agree.

Eruption
    Last Online

01.25.17 @ 04:18 AM
    Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts

After last tour in 2008, I thought they would need to drop the prices, but they to have went up. It seems like this tour most of the shows are selling out, but seems like some have been less than sold out. If 2nd leg hits some of the same cities, it could be tough to sell out with competition and high prices. I am hoping they hit New York area again, I need more Van Halen than the two shows I saw.
    11-13-2007 MSG NY, NY
    12-28-2007 MGM Grand Las Vegas, Nevada
    12-30-2007 MGM Grand Las Vegas, Nevada
    5-13-2008 IZOD Arena East Rutherford , NJ
    5-23-2008 MSG NY, NY
    5-28-2008 Verizon Manchester, NH
    2-28-2012 MSG NY, NY
    3-01-2012 MSG NY, NY

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Beautiful Girls
    Last Online

03.03.17 @ 11:34 AM
    Liked 25 Times in 4 Posts

The joint tours, especially the summer amphitheater shows, seem to be the way to go. It's been that way for a while now.

With two "headlining" acts or two-four semi-big names on one bill justifies ticket prices in a lot of cases. I think if Van Halen were to go out on their own amphitheater tour with an opening act like Kool & The Gang, people are going to find that there is a much better bag for the buck seeing KISS/Motley Crue or Aerosmith/Cheap Trick for the same price. And, I can't say that I'd disagree with people who think so.

That being said, I actually hate the double bill shows. You have production for two bands, sound for two bands and it all ends up sounding/looking the same. The KISS/Motley Crue show is loaded with pyro, side-stage acts and special effects and anything to take the attention away from the music. With one opening band and one headliner, you know you're getting the very best of your headliner and all the show time eggs are going to be in one basket, so to speak. I may sound crazy and I over-analyze concerts, but that's just how I feel.

I doubt competition will halt a second leg of a Van Halen tour. I do, however, think prices will have to come down for them to move forward. There is no way you're charging $179 for 5th row and seats close to the lawn in an amphitheater. That's just about the way they have it set up for all the arena's right now.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Beautiful Girls
    Last Online

03.03.17 @ 11:34 AM
    Liked 25 Times in 4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mike zack View Post
    Right on.

More often than not, those same bands tour for nothing. No new record and the same old act over and over again, too.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 411 Times in 246 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ExpandedConsciousness View Post
    "KISS/Motley Crue, Aerosmith/Cheap Trick, Def Leppard/Poison, Iron Madien/Alice Cooper, Styx/REO/Ted Nugent, Scorpions/Tesla"

Oh please. VAN HALEN is all about the summertime and will play in the summer unless they want the summer off, but I don't like presenting VAN HALEN as being scared to compete with the mostly washed up bands you listed. And I doubt an economic incentive (if one even exists) would make VH take the summer off. It is obvious - in many, many ways - that they are not purely motivated by economics these days and that, despite that fact, they are doing just fine in the $-department.
    Dude, I don't know where you've been since 2007/08 (or perhaps 1984, for that matter judging by some of your posts....) but most of those bands you've described as "washed up" have done more by way of touring and/or releasing new material (albums, DVD's, etc) than VH has.

I'm not going to argue that VH should be intimidated. That's a stupid argument. VH shouldn't and wont be intimidated by any of those bands. They have a killer new album and they really are hitting a stride that they haven't hit in a LONG time.

But at the same time I'm not going to sit here and start slagging those other bands by saying they're washed up. Don't try and tell me that Aerosmith is washed up. Or that Iron Maiden is washed up. Or even KISS for that matter, is washed up. Maiden and KISS have released killer albums lately and Aerosmith has toured pretty much every year ( constantly switching their setlists up as well. Polishing off old gems). Not to mention, they've at the very least released 2 albums in this new millennium.

That's typical bullshit, VH fanboy "we're the best and everybody else is shit", nonsense.

It is obvious - in many, many ways - that they are not purely motivated by economics these days
    Yeah those $900 VIP Packages are a steal!!!!
    Last edited by MF5150; 03.26.12 at 04:25 PM.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1,106 Times in 675 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I Don't think Eddie and Co. are worried about the competition.
    Imagine asking Dave that question to his face !!!
    Question: "Uhh, Dave, are you worried about the summer concert competition with so many other bands being out on the road ?"
    Answer: "I'll Leave that to your imagination after you get up from the roundhouse to the back of the head !!!!"
    Last edited by evhintexas; 03.26.12 at 04:32 PM. Reason: edit
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

“A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.”

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 12:23 AM
    Liked 7,837 Times in 4,573 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by MF5150 View Post
    Dude, I don't know where you've been since 2007/08 (or perhaps 1984, for that matter judging by some of your posts....) but most of those bands you've described as "washed up" have done more by way of touring and/or releasing new material (albums, DVD's, etc) than VH has.

I'm not going to argue that VH should be intimidated. That's a stupid argument. VH shouldn't and wont be intimidated by any of those bands. They have a killer new album and they really are hitting a stride that they haven't hit in a LONG time.

But at the same time I'm not going to sit here and start slagging those other bands by saying they're washed up. Don't try and tell me that Aerosmith is washed up. Or that Iron Maiden is washed up. Or even KISS for that matter, is washed up. Maiden and KISS have released killer albums lately and Aerosmith has toured pretty much every year ( constantly switching their setlists up as well. Polishing off old gems). Not to mention, they've at the very least released 2 albums in this new millennium.

That's typical bullshit, VH fanboy "we're the best and everybody else is shit", nonsense.
    I agree. Iron Maiden washed up?

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 411 Times in 246 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CaboChris View Post
    I agree. Iron Maiden washed up?
    Well they are compared to VAN HALEN! What the fuck is wrong with you dude?!?!?!?!? Iron Maiden is shit compared to the mighty VAN HALEN.

I want to see Bruce Dickenson rock a pair of chaps and be able to look as hot and sexy as Dave does.

My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

There's just too many
    Last Online

10.26.15 @ 12:38 PM
    Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts

Hopefully they do take a break during the summer, so that they can record some new damn music!! It's been freaking almost 2 months since we've had new VH. This is unacceptable! If Eddie could just stop being a control freak, we'd all have some new music to enjoy...... And no Gary or Mark Stone, no VH.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 12:23 AM
    Liked 7,837 Times in 4,573 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by MF5150 View Post
    Well they are compared to VAN HALEN! What the fuck is wrong with you dude?!?!?!?!? Iron Maiden is shit compared to the mighty VAN HALEN.

I want to see Bruce Dickenson rock a pair of chaps and be able to look as hot and sexy as Dave does.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1,106 Times in 675 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by JakeK21 View Post
    Hopefully they do take a break during the summer, so that they can record some new damn music!! It's been freaking almost 2 months since we've had new VH. This is unacceptable! If Eddie could just stop being a control freak, we'd all have some new music to enjoy...... And no Gary or Mark Stone, no VH.
    Finally---someone who gets it !!!!
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

“A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.”