Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:29 PM
    Liked 1,348 Times in 925 Posts

Default What is the purpose of Twitter?

I'm still really a neophyte when it comes to social networking - I never did MySpace, I still have yet to figure out a purpose for FaceBook, and less so for LinkedIn and this place has really always been all I've really needed. Now all I hear about is Twitter, and it's outrageous - you watch a sporting event and they put the announcers up on the screen with their Twitter names underneath them, and you watch a show and there's a Twitter name for that too. All you hear about is "so and so has x number of followers" - following what, exactly?

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

I'm with ya on this one billy. I have no use for Twitter and can't figure out the fascination with it. It's the worst of the social media to come along.

It's real simple. say your Twitter name is bigbadbilly. Your friends or whoever ask to "follow" you and you allow them to. Now whenever you log onto twitter and post a thought....."Hey I think the Yankees suck!"........the people following it will see it when they log onto their twitter account. Basically any thought you have and post on your twitter feed will be seen by those following you.

It's dumb and pointless. I wish Twitter would blow up and never be heard from again.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I just went active on Twitter last month.

It's a time killer.

Chances are some famous person you like is on Twitter, and it's fun to see what they're up to. Right now Emmy Rossum is live-tweeting the debut of season 2 of "Shameless". Comedians are great for a quick joke. Steve Martin is hilarious on Twitter. The news services are good to follow.

Then there are people like writer Brett Easton Ellis, who spent all afternoon Sunday before last tweeting ideas for the sequel to "American Psycho", and taking ideas ( Bateman kills David Beckham in an elevator in Hollywood).

The other thing is the "trending" list. You can see what people are talking about in your area, or nationally. Then sometimes you can make a trend. Last Sunday night some comedian decided to make #changemovietitletopenis trend. So for an hour ten thousand people posted movie titles with penis added (Indiana Jones and the Penis of Doom).

It's kinda cool.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In A Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 09:24 PM
    Liked 709 Times in 389 Posts

If you find the right people to follow, it can be a lot of fun. Comedians, for instance. There are some artists/actors/celebs I like who I follow, and who I have had the chance to interact with on Twitter. There are some celebrity accounts that the actual celebrities never use, and it is run by someone on their PR team. Well, like Eddie's, for instance. lol

Celebs are more likely to actually participate on Twitter than most other social media sites, like facebook. It is a great way to communicate fast with a bunch of people at once.

Twitter is hit-or-miss. It really depends on how you want to use it. For me, it is mainly just an up-to-the-minute news feed of what my friends, favorite actors, bands, etc. are doing. I'd say I could do without it, but I have had some amazing experiences on there interacting with people.
    Last edited by Wildman; 03.25.12 at 08:36 PM.

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 03:19 PM
    Liked 1,083 Times in 725 Posts

Premium Member

It was created so Kim Kardashian would have something constructive to do with her time.

"I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Kids, just say NO to marriage". (Al Bundy)

Rawhide in "A"

OAA

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:41 PM
    Liked 2,386 Times in 1,488 Posts

Premium Member

Its just another product of the internet society which if used in the wrong way can really mess up your life.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Love 'em all! (esp. F.U.C.K)
    Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

12.04.17 @ 04:15 PM
    Liked 1,228 Times in 845 Posts

To me, it just seems like another way for people to feed their own ego - a bit like Facebook, it's really quite narcissistic - you know, "Hey guys - look at me! I've just had a thought which is so mind-blowingly important that I have to share it with the world!!!"

I just don't get the mind-set behind those who consider their every trivial move to be of such significance to the world at large - when you think about it, it is the height of conceit, this desire to amass as many 'Twitter followers' or 'Facebook friends' as possible - or maybe it's just that we're breeding a generation of terribly insecure people who need that kind of affirmation to feel 'whole', if that makes sense..?
    I'm FEMALE...Deal with it!

"Whatever you do, wherever you go, there you are..." Edward Van Halen 1986

"You spend the first part of your life trying to make your mark, and the second part just trying to cover up your tracks"... Weesfreewheelin, 2012

"Life's too short to stuff a mushroom"... Shirley Conran, 1975

"You turn if you want to...The LADY is NOT for turning!"...Margaret
    Thatcher, 1980

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:28 PM
    Liked 3,115 Times in 1,826 Posts

Premium Member

I enjoy it as mostly a follower. Some celebrities--and you can tell who's who--have others that run their accounts and they use it like an advertising medium, whereas others actually tweet themselves.

I have tweeted and gotten personal responses from Steve Martin, Lisa Lampanelli, Lakers writer and biographer Roland Lazenby, some high school basketball coaches, sportscasters (like Lakers broadcaster John Ireland, etc.), some character actors (like James Morrison, aka Bill Buchanan on 24), and a few times by Keith Olbermann, though he recently blocked me.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K. 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Feels So Good (deal with it...
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 11:35 AM
    Liked 426 Times in 228 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I absolutely love twitter! LOVE IT! As people have noted, it's about how you set it up and what your purpose is. Sure there are people that just follow celebrities etc. but that is the most mundane use for it. Here are some of the things I do with Twitter:

CFL Football - I follow any of the players on my home town team that are on Twitter. They interact with me and send me responses to questions etc. I also live tweet with fellow fans during the games. It really is a great use of Twitter when you are watching a game alone. I don't have to sit there an tell the TV that was a bullshit pass interference call...I can tweet it and discuss with all the other people following the #cfl thread.

Traffic - I follow the local and provincial police twitter feeds. Anytime there is an accident anywhere...it gets tweeted to their followers...instantly!

News - I don't know why it is but news stories break on twitter faster than anywhere else.

Promotions - depending on who you follow, twitter followers will get coupons and promotions. Example: Starbucks - they will tweet that today only, go to a local Starbucks, show you twitter account and get a free coffee etc.

Food Trucks - you got any food trucks in your city? I guarantee they tweet their location that morning before they post it anywhere else...even ahead of their web site. They also live tweet if they are moving.

Bands - other than Van Halen, a lot of bands make good use of Twitter to send links of new songs, studio demos and videos, concert announcements etc. In fact some of the ones I follow will even let you know when extra tickets are released and available.

The key is to follow people YOU are interested in and not get distracted by where we most see twitter references ie: the Kardashians as noted etc. It really is a great tool if you make it a great tool.
    Signature not currently available. You aren't missing much.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post

I have tweeted and gotten personal responses from Keith Olbermann, though he recently blocked me.
    I'm sorry, but the matter-of-fact way in which you said this just made me laugh my socks off - being "blocked" is a regular occurrence for you, then, LoveMachine? I'd love to know why - but maybe it's best not to ask...

"You spend the first part of your life trying to make your mark, and the second part just trying to cover up your tracks"... Weesfreewheelin, 2012

Thatcher, 1980

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Good Enough/Little Guitars
    Last Online

06.25.15 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 42 Times in 11 Posts

I love Twitter. Use it to follow musicians, sports journalists and teams, news sources, and comedians (Conan O'Brien is hilarious on Twitter). I even use it to post my two cents about sporting events going on. I like it a lot more than Facebook.
    "I respect that youre passionate about this but what your saying is complete idiocy..." - MF5150 on McDonald's "preying" on young kids.

"He was born a human, he's a horse's ass by proxy." - It's Mike on Eddymon.

Favorite VH Album

Pirates of the Carribean
    Favorite VH Song

How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 07:43 PM
    Liked 1,626 Times in 872 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by dibblekins View Post
    To me, it just seems like another way for people to feed their own ego - a bit like Facebook, it's really quite narcissistic - you know, "Hey guys - look at me! I've just had a thought which is so mind-blowingly important that I have to share it with the world!!!"...

Sort of like Main these days?
    -TVH-

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine

What is government itself but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? - James Madison

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian. - Henry Ford

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Van Halen View Post
    Sort of like Main these days?
    NICELY done, TVH!

Thatcher, 1980

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:28 PM
    Liked 3,115 Times in 1,826 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by dibblekins View Post
    I'm sorry, but the matter-of-fact way in which you said this just made me laugh my socks off - being "blocked" is a regular occurrence for you, then, LoveMachine? I'd love to know why - but maybe it's best not to ask...
    My first time, actually. He responded to me once on a tax question about a year ago. Recently, he commented on Rush Limbaugh's treatment of Sandra Fluke, aka SlutGate. He sent out a tweet reminding followers that Limbaugh had "essentially" called all women sluts, including our sisters, wives, and mothers.

I wrote back with a link to a video where he and Janeane Garofalo "essentially" compared conservatives/Republicans to White power activists and said that both had an enlarged frontal lobe which pushed against the skull, causing synapses to misfire. Basically they said conservatives and racists are comparable and mentally handicapped. He wrote back that they didn't say that, and if they did they didn't say it about a specific person, but a group. If you identify of a member of that group, then that's "on you".

I wrote back that they DID say that, that it was in the video in the link, and that his answer was the biggest cop out in history.

Then I sent him a link to a website with transcripts and video clips of his own misogyny, including calling Ann Coulter a "horse" and Michelle Malkin a "mashed up bag of meat with lipstick".

He then blocked me. Who wants to hear the truth?

Favorite VH Album

VH I
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 07:43 PM
    Liked 594 Times in 364 Posts

Donor

Twitter is great for following reporters to keep up on breaking news, and for general entertainment (following comedians, etc.). I really enjoy it.