Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.07.17 @ 12:54 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default legality of employers asking for Facebook passwords

Two U.S. senators will ask the Justice Department to investigate whether employers who require job applicants to hand over confidential passwords to Facebook and other social networking sites are violating federal law, the lawmakers said today.

New York Senator Charles Schumer, the Senate’s third- ranking Democrat, and Senator Richard Blumenthal, a Democrat from Connecticut, will ask the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission to examine the practice as well.

On Friday, Facebook Inc., the world’s biggest social networking site, said reports that some businesses were asking potential employees for passwords in order to view private posts and pictures as part of the job application process were "alarming." The two Democratic lawmakers said the practice could violate federal anti-hacking statutes.

"Employers have no right to ask job applicants for their house keys or to read their diaries. Why should they be able to ask them for their Facebook passwords?" Schumer said in a press release sent to reporters.

Blumenthal said that by requiring job applicants to provide login credentials, employers could gain access to protected information that would be impermissible for them to consider when making hiring decisions. Those include religious affiliation and sexual orientation, which are protected categories under federal law.

Facebook said Friday that accessing such information also could open businesses up to discrimination lawsuits. The company said it might ask policy makers to take action to stop the practice.

"An investigation by the Department of Justice and Equal Employment Opportunity Commission will help remedy ongoing intrusions and coercive practices," Blumenthal said in the senators’ statement.

Laura Sweeney, a Justice Department spokeswoman, said in an e-mail she had no immediate comment on the lawmakers’ request.

Facebook and other sites are already used by some potential employers seeking additional background on job applicants because of the personal information posted there. As Facebook has given users additional ways to protect that information from public view, reports have surfaced of employers asking job applicants to voluntarily give them access by providing personal login credentials.

The Associated Press first reported the growth in the practice last week.

In a copy of the letter sent to Attorney General Eric Holder and provided to reporters, Blumenthal and Schumer asked the department to investigate whether the practice is a violation of the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act, the primary federal anti-hacking statute.

The lawmakers also asked the department to investigate whether the practice violates the Stored Communications Act, which prohibits intentional access to electronic information without authorization or in excess of authorization.

In a letter to EEOC chairman Jacqueline Berrien, the lawmakers requested an investigation into whether the practice "may be used to unlawfully discriminate against otherwise qualified applicants."

"We strongly urge the commission to investigate and issue a legal opinion," the letter said.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-574...et-hired-what/

https://www.facebook.com/notes/faceb...26598317390057
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:11 AM
    Liked 1,340 Times in 919 Posts

Man, I'm so glad I'm on the downhill side of life. Employers pulling credit histories and now this? Whatever happened to judging a person on their actual abilities?

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Love 'em all! (esp. F.U.C.K)
    Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

12.04.17 @ 04:15 PM
    Liked 1,228 Times in 845 Posts

Good grief. This is absolutely outrageous. I am incredulous that employers would even contemplate their having the right to such information.
    I'm FEMALE...Deal with it!

"Whatever you do, wherever you go, there you are..." Edward Van Halen 1986

"You spend the first part of your life trying to make your mark, and the second part just trying to cover up your tracks"... Weesfreewheelin, 2012

"Life's too short to stuff a mushroom"... Shirley Conran, 1975

"You turn if you want to...The LADY is NOT for turning!"...Margaret
    Thatcher, 1980

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

So....what happens then if I simply tell them the truth that I don't use Facebroke? End of conversation? They gonna try and check? WTF?
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by LLFHS View Post
    So....what happens then if I simply tell them the truth that I don't use Facebroke? End of conversation? They gonna try and check? WTF?
    HA! That sounds very much like my situation regarding the 'failure' to adopt a mobile phone (I have since succumbed). It is now par for the course for official bodies to ask for the number and, upon being told I didn't have one, a look of "Does Not Compute" would cross their faces - so shocking was my revelation that they simply did not know where to go from there. And I have to admit that I would get an inordinate sense of satisfaction from flummoxing them in that way.

So, yeah, LL - I can imagine that your admitting to being a Facebook Non-User would stun prospective employers into silence. You'd probably get the job because sheer bewilderment would render them unable to continue the interview process.

"You spend the first part of your life trying to make your mark, and the second part just trying to cover up your tracks"... Weesfreewheelin, 2012

Thatcher, 1980

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

At least the reactions in that article are sane. Because the idea that an employer would need or want a Facebook password is fucking insane!!!
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:13 AM
    Liked 6,667 Times in 3,695 Posts

most big companies will do a facebook search on their employees. Nothing wrong with that. Not a big deal for me, a bunch of people that I work with (including people who have reported to me in the past and that i reported to) are my "friends" on facebook.

Asking for passwords is a bit much though. But i can understand a company wanting to see the type of person they might be hiring.

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

Stories of people losing jobs or not getting hired because of their facebook content are pretty common. No biggie. But giving up your password to an employer?? Nope. Crosses the line big time. Total privacy violation.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:13 AM
    Liked 6,667 Times in 3,695 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Double Down View Post
    Stories of people losing jobs or not getting hired because of their facebook content are pretty common. No biggie. But giving up your password to an employer?? Nope. Crosses the line big time. Total privacy violation.
    i don't understand the purpose of that (getting the password). I understand wanted to see what's on your page if it's a public page - makes some sense.

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:36 AM
    Liked 2,380 Times in 1,485 Posts

Premium Member

Where I work we have canned 2 people in the last year for negative comments about our establishment on their facebroke page. The morons out there never stop amazing me. Never give your password or credit card number to anyone.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by edwardv View Post
    Where I work we have canned 2 people in the last year for negative comments about our establishment on their facebroke page. The morons out there never stop amazing me. Never give your password or credit card number to anyone.
    I can understand the employers' perspective, in that such comments on Facebook may well constitute a form of libel - but, surely this flies in the face of the American avowal to uphold the principle of 'Free Speech'?

Thatcher, 1980

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 01:56 AM
    Liked 1,461 Times in 897 Posts

No way I would give my password to a company if I'm looking for a job. That is just plain wrong. I'd like to know what companies are doing that.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:36 AM
    Liked 2,380 Times in 1,485 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by dibblekins View Post
    I can understand the employers' perspective, in that such comments on Facebook may well constitute a form of libel - but, surely this flies in the face of the American avowal to uphold the principle of 'Free Speech'?
    You mean the US Constitution? We dumped that back in the 60s.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Last Online

06.22.15 @ 12:38 PM
    Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts

What if they ask for our VHLinks logins??!?!! I'd never get another job!!
    "HEY!!!!! WHO THE F*^K GAVE D-MAN THE DAY OFF?!?!?!?!?" Darkstar
    "DMAN - Poobah of all that is Hot and Female" LLFHS
    "DMan, we've never met, but I want you to know I consider you a dear friend." ToddE
    "You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar and possibly the saviour of heterosexuality (or a creator of lesbians!)!!!" tommywho5150

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K. 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Feels So Good (deal with it...
    Last Online

12.08.17 @ 12:46 PM
    Liked 426 Times in 228 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I heard a really good comment from someone regarding this. They basically said that if they gave their password to a prospective employer they would be waiving their right to privacy but they would also be waiving every friends right to privacy because that employer could see everything on all their friends pages as well. Scary world we live in.
    Signature not currently available. You aren't missing much.