Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:34 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

Premium Member

Default 03.24.12: Van Halen @ Boardwalk Hall - Atlantic City, NJ - REVIEWS & SET LIST!

Here's the review thread for the Atlantic City show on 03.24.12.

Please note, unless you went to the show you shouldn't be posting a review. Please let's try to keep these clean by just having reviews in them.

For banter about the show, use the UPDATE & DISCUSSION thread for that.

Thanks!

Set List (Complete):

1. Unchained
    2. Runnin' With The Devil
    3. She's The Woman
    4. The Full Bug
    5. Tattoo
    6. Everybody Wants Some!!
    7. Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    8. China Town
    9. Hear About It Later
    10. (Oh!) Pretty Woman
    11. Alex's Drum Solo
    12. You Really Got Me
    13. The Trouble With Never
    14. Dance The Night Away
    15. I'll Wait
    16. Hot For Teacher
    17. Women In Love
    18. Outta Love Again
    19. Beautiful Girls
    20. Ice Cream Man
    21. Panama
    22. Eddie's Guitar Solo
    23. Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    24. Jump

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/HBSD
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 06:17 PM
    Liked 112 Times in 27 Posts

I still wake up in the morninng on days the boys are playing and look forward to following the setlist.

Gotta be about due for a new surprise.
    Last edited by Deklon2; 03.24.12 at 05:17 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it Later
    Last Online

07.05.16 @ 02:37 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

As do I. Hoping for a few more gems as the tour moves along!

Top Of The World
    Last Online

06.01.14 @ 09:43 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Goo View Post
    Please let's try to keep these clean by just having reviews in them.

For banter about the show, use the UPDATE & DISCUSSION thread for that.

Thanks!
    ^ Fail.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

12.18.15 @ 08:55 AM
    Liked 24 Times in 11 Posts

Default WHAT A NIGHT !!!!!!!

First, as you can tell, I don't post much but I am a regular on this board (basically a troll...lol). I have seen every VH tour (all except with that Cherone (spelling) joker) since the beginning when they warmed up Black Sabbath at the Spectrum. I saw the Philly show a couple weeks ago and to be honest there was no way I thought they could top that show. Boy, was I wrong. The band was tight and the acoustics in AC were tremendous. I was in the 18th row on Eddie's side and they kicked ass from start to finish. Less "chitter,chatter" from Dave tonight than Philly. This is definitley a new version of VH. I consider this the "mature" version of the band. I paid 170 both shows and it was worth every penny. A whole lot of band hugs and joking with each other. It was a tremendous show and all I can hope is that they do this again some day. KUDOS to this board as you guys all rock. I have followed many tours on here. No comparision to the tour 3 years ago. This one is tops.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:34 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by vanCherone View Post
    ^ Fail.
    Relax sparky, noones getting hurt.
    A little zen....... Headed your way.......

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

FW
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

06.18.17 @ 12:32 PM
    Liked 25 Times in 7 Posts

How are the sight lines at your seats. I have similar seats for the KC show

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:16 PM
    Liked 93 Times in 37 Posts

Just got back from AC about an hour ago. Had a nice steak and eggs breakfast at Trump Plaza after the show, and then a 2 hour drive back home in rain (yuck). Man, they kicked my ass to kingdom come. I should be a jaded vet, have seen them from the very first tour, but I stood there in awe quite a number of times during the show. We were 5th row to the left of center and it was definitely loud, but after the first few chords of Unchained I took out my high fidelity ear plugs and left them out. Dave's voice was really, really strong and he let out a few of those James Brown "WOW!" type screams to good effect. He sustained some really powerful notes a number of times. He even sang his revised melody line again for DTNA and with the sheer volume off the stage and the crowd singing along, somehow his new melody line works- the guy is a genius. I can't say enough about the backing vocals, even on Tattoo they were mixed perfectly and Ed and Wolfgang hit them out of the park. Wolfgang is like the glue that holds things together with his backing vocals, and his playing was massive. The kid is working his ass off but in a very unassuming manner. 5 years ago I just tried not to look at his part of the stage, but this tour it is a completely different story. Bass tone is worlds better than last tour when he was playing through a Sound City 200w head into an EVH 4 x 12 cab. This time he has a number of cabs including some 8 x 10 Fender cabs plus the new Bassman Pro (looks like this to me anyway). Ed's tone is fantastic as well, meaty when needed and with a stinging bite when it needs to cut through the mix. His focused solo this tour is just incredible. That's when all of the jaws hit the floor and the cameras were held high. I know the tricks he is performing, can't execute them anywhere near as cleanly as he can of course, yet I still stood there transported in time to a different era related to each series of licks (Diver Down tour for Cathedral, etc.). I don't want to go overboard and say that this is the best incarnation of VH yet, but even the fact that I am thinking about them in this manner amazes me.

I wasn't even planning on writing this at 4 AM. I still need to decompress a bit and get to sleep. Thankfully I am seeing them in Reading on Monday night!

Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

simple rhyme
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:39 PM
    Liked 1,201 Times in 531 Posts

Go ahead and say it. This is the best incarnation of VH I ever have seen live . Yes I have the original lineup multiple times. Still this lineup is kicking Major ass .
    WHAT IS UNDERSTOOD NEED NOT BE DISCUSSED

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

12.23.16 @ 05:16 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mikehunt5150 View Post
    Go ahead and say it. This is the best incarnation of VH I ever have seen live . Yes I have the original lineup multiple times. Still this lineup is kicking Major ass .
    Out of curiousity, in what ways do you think the current line-up is better than the original line-up back in the day?

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

03.25.12 @ 04:42 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Let me start by saying I am 50 years old and am usually in bed by 9:30 P.M. To get the night started Kool and the Gang really tried to get the audience pumped. I was in the back of the hall 1st level looking toward center stage. I too used ear plugs for the entire show but it still sounded great. Dave is quite a showman and Eddie is top notch as well as Alex And Woofie. My only complaint is the song selection from the new album as others have mentioned. I heard people complaining about Dave's video with his dogs but I enjoyed that. Boardwalk hall is a great place to see a show from any seat (Not sure about behind the stage) and the giant video screen was great. I have seen every version of Van Halen live, even the Gary Cherone version, as well Dave solo and this ranks with the best of them. My 1st was in Ashville N.C. 1982 so I go way back with them.
    Last edited by bha19; 03.25.12 at 04:31 AM.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/HBSD
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 06:17 PM
    Liked 112 Times in 27 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vanCherone View Post
    ^ Fail.
    Vancherone - My sincere apologies for posting that I still enjoy following the setlist threads in a setlist thread. Did it really to acknowledge those who take the time to do it for us.

Last Online

12.11.17 @ 12:34 PM
    Liked 122 Times in 44 Posts

My third show of the tour and VH is still kickin major ass!! From the setlist to how tight they are playing everything is just working great for them. Kudos to Wolfie also. The kid can play!!

Besides VH kickin ass my highlights were the father and son sitting next to me just totally rockin out toghther. When I showed them my VH tattoo's they went nuts and started hugging each other and then hugged me!!! But my top highlight was when my wife looked at me during Eddies solo and asked " Is that really only him playing?" Priceless!!!

KEEP ON ROCKIN BOYS!!!
    VH Shows

5/12/79-NYC VH2
    7/26/80-Uniondale,NY Women & Children
    7/17/81-MSG,NYC Fair Warning
    10/9/82-Syracuse,NY Diver Down
    10/13/82-Uniondale,NY Diver Down
    3/30/84-MSG,NYC 1984
    4/14/84-Uniondale,NY 1984
    7/29/86-East Rutherford,NJ 5150
    8/2/86-Uniondale,NY 5150
    6/26/88-East Rutherford,NJ Monsters of Rock
    10/11/88-MSG,NYC OU812
    10/27/91-Uniondale,NY F.U.C.K.
    7/11,14/93-Jones Beach,NY RHRN
    4/26/95-Uniondale,NY Balance
    8/22/95-Jones Beach,NY Balance
    5/22/98-MSG,NYC III
    8/15/98-Jones Beach,NY III
    8/31/98-Syracuse,NY III
    6/22/04-East Rutherford,NJ Sam Reunion
    11/9/04-Montreal,Canada Sam Reunion
    10/1/07-Philadelphia,PA Dave Reunion
    11/8/07-Uniondale,NY Dave Reunion
    11/13/07-MSG,NYC Dave Reunion
    5/20/08-Uncasville,CT Dave Reunion
    5/23/08-MSG,NYC Dave Reunion
    2/28,3/1/12-MSG,NYC ADKOT
    3/24/12-Atlantic City,NJ ADKOT

3/07 Hopped on a plane and flew to Cleveland to be there when they were inducted into the RRHOF!!!

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

07.13.17 @ 06:23 AM
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Greetings all...I also was at the show last night in AC with my wife, we were rockin' away in section 121 row B seats 7 & 8 (as were most in our section)...me decked out in my Eruption t-shirt and wearing my EVH striped sneakers proudly.

I have seen VH at least once on every tour since Balance (twice this tour...saw them in Philly earlier in the month) and this was my wife's first time seeing them. This was, in my opinion, the best they have ever sounded.

All I can say is...wow!!! We were both blown away. VH was very tight and played with a ton of energy...so much so that at the end of the night...I was exhausted. For me, it was truly magical watching Eddie work, with that infectious smile of his on his face the whole time. His guitar tone had a lovely growling aspect to it. Edward Van Halen is a true legend on guitar and I feel honored to be able to watch him perform at the level he is playing at now at this point in his musical career. David, in my opinion, was excellent. Although he may not always be spot on with his vocals, his showmanship more than makes up for it. He is always quite entertaining to watch. My wife thought he was just a little too flamboyant but then again, that is Diamond Dave. In her words "he almost seems a bit gay". Wolfgang was very solid on the bass and does an awesome job on the background vocals. Alex was solid as always although I think he has watched one too many Neil Peart (yes...my other favorite band is Rush) drum solos. No disrespect to Alex but if you have seen Rush live fairly recently, you will know what I mean. The whole band seemed to be genuinely having a great time up there on stage.

I thought the crowd was much more into it in AC than in Philly. The cheering was absolutely deafening after Everybody Wants Some and for every song up to Somebody Get Me A Doctor. It seemed to me, as in Philly, the energy of the show seems to lull a bit after Somebody Get Me A Doctor but then picks right back up with Dance The Night Away and stays in high gear until Women In Love and Outta Love Again. It lulls a bit again for those two songs (don't really know why...these are both great songs) but then picks up steam again right to the last notes of the finish line flag waving, confetti soaked Jump.

It truly was a magical evening and worth every penny.

As a bonus, we headed down to Boardwalk Hall at around 4 pm and were able to get inside and hear the sound check for 5 or 6 songs. I remember hearing As Is and what I thought was Light Up The Sky. Was anyone else there for the sound check? Was I wrong with Light Up The Sky? I would love if As Is and Light Up The Sky made the set list.

After the show we headed to The Blue Martini in Bally's and got a chance to hear the VH cover band Unchained. That was quite fun and there were some fellow concert goers there rocking out also...one was even wearing the same Eruption t-shirt I had on...though my wife said I looked much cooler as I was sporting my striped EVH sneakers. Me thinks she may have been making fun of me...

Oh well...I have rambled on much too long...

One last thing...if you are Van Halen fan...do whatever it takes (legally of course) to obtain a ticket. You will not be disappointed.
    Last edited by kingbobyjr; 03.25.12 at 01:18 PM.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.12.16 @ 10:22 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by salg View Post
    My third show of the tour and VH is still kickin major ass!! From the setlist to how tight they are playing everything is just working great for them. Kudos to Wolfie also. The kid can play!!

Besides VH kickin ass my highlights were the father and son sitting next to me just totally rockin out toghther. When I showed them my VH tattoo's they went nuts and started hugging each other and then hugged me!!! But my top highlight was when my wife looked at me during Eddies solo and asked " Is that really only him playing?" Priceless!!!

KEEP ON ROCKIN BOYS!!!
    Awesome!