Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 02:18 PM
    Liked 461 Times in 200 Posts

Default Hang Em High

hey this has been posted here before but in light of Edward ripping out HEH again in boston I was curious..... how many of you guys can nail the opening riff and nail it right? I have been playing that song for 16 years and I just cant seem to get it up to speed. Now if I cheat and only single stroke the low note I can do it but double picking it, even alternating the picking motion I just freakin cant get it up to speed no matter what I do. That is still the only vh riff I just cant play without cheating. Even Ed playing it in boston was playing it right without single stroke cheating. How do you guys do it up to speed?

Rob

Last Online

02.24.16 @ 07:27 AM
    Liked 349 Times in 206 Posts

Im guessing construction worker or you brawl a lot....your hand is over developed..

I had problems too...construction...karate...then knee problems...then less of that stuff and a better right pick hand.

I barely move my wrist..most of it is flicking my thumb.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

I dont know.... maybe after all these years I still got the technique wrong. I wish someone would post a nice youtube vid of the technique slowly so I could see if I am doing it right.

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:55 AM
    Liked 354 Times in 183 Posts

I can do it in the James Hetfield style (all downstrokes). My alternate picking is horrible. Still amazes my friends who've never heard it, so I'm stickin' to it!

Last Online

10.17.12 @ 03:50 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I can do it, although it did take a bit a practice. You can't really get the groove of it with just downstrokes, there really is no technique, you just gotta' keep practicing it.

I actually did it on acoustic first, once I did it on that, switching to electric made it feel easier tenfold, have a go.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

well its funny,
    after all these years of playing it and just giving up after a few minutes I basically spent the better part of the morning (my Wife is pissed as hell....) working on it and I must say.... I am real close. I was playing it the right way, and was just about up to speed a few times. I see what you mean ookra....
    here is what I found.... for me anyways.... you need a very, very relaxed wrist and before I was letting my wrist bend with the up and down strokes and sort of letting it do a sweep motion and that did not work. I just kept tripping over the A string when I was not hitting it. I found that you need (again this is just me) to keep the wrist straight and not let it sweep and just keep it relaxed but be real smooth and you can hit it right. Its certainly going to take a bunch of practice but I start out slow and then after a few minutes I actually started to get it just about up to speed. This is cool as hell.... I am 38 years old and been playing for 16 years and I feel like a kid in a candy store when I come close to nailing this riff..... damn I might be on to something here. Thanks for the help guys.

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad, Hang 'em High
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 10:56 AM
    Liked 2,848 Times in 1,230 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by 5150rob View Post
    well its funny,
    after all these years of playing it and just giving up after a few minutes I basically spent the better part of the morning (my Wife is pissed as hell....) working on it and I must say.... I am real close. I was playing it the right way, and was just about up to speed a few times. I see what you mean ookra....
    here is what I found.... for me anyways.... you need a very, very relaxed wrist and before I was letting my wrist bend with the up and down strokes and sort of letting it do a sweep motion and that did not work. I just kept tripping over the A string when I was not hitting it. I found that you need (again this is just me) to keep the wrist straight and not let it sweep and just keep it relaxed but be real smooth and you can hit it right. Its certainly going to take a bunch of practice but I start out slow and then after a few minutes I actually started to get it just about up to speed. This is cool as hell.... I am 38 years old and been playing for 16 years and I feel like a kid in a candy store when I come close to nailing this riff..... damn I might be on to something here. Thanks for the help guys.
    I think you've found the path.

This isn't about technique as much as it is about putting yourself in the correct mental state. Hang 'em High is my favorite VH to play. The whole song is just pure poppin' rhythm. You have to stay loose and not "think" about it. If you think "am I getting it" or "I'm not getting it," you're going to get tense and the riff is going to sound like a mess. Stay loose and just listen to the result. If you just chunk away at it for an hour without judging your playing, you'll get it down.

What a tune!

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 09:55 AM
    Liked 415 Times in 250 Posts

Great thread! I've tried playing that opening riff so many times and even though I find my playing technique has improved greatly over the last couple years, I still can't get it. Granted, I haven't practiced it much but whenever I try and play it I end up giving up about 30 seconds in.

To hell with I'm The One, Hang Em High is a bitch of a riff.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 05:40 PM
    Liked 11,593 Times in 4,941 Posts

Pretty sure I do it right as I know I'm not doing it with all downstrokes.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Last Online

10.17.12 @ 03:50 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Doug just uploaded this

Last Online

12.14.17 @ 09:23 PM
    Liked 93 Times in 37 Posts

I cheat (single stroke low note but use alternate picking), and I've been cheating on it since '82. No one I have ever played it for knew the difference.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 10:38 AM
    Liked 612 Times in 387 Posts

well its funny,
    I have to ask you Rob...Are you practicing with a metronome? Really, that is the key as I've said before. Start slow and build up the tempo over many hours over many days and weeks. The slower and more accurate you go and the more gradually you raise the tempo on the metronome, the faster and cleaner you will be able to play whatever difficult passage or part you are trying to learn...

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

yeah I am and its certainly helping. I am finding the speed is really starting to come but playing it clean it going to take a little bit more time. Just uploaded a vid on classicVH to show where I am at now. I still suck at it but its coming along real good. For all these years I have just not dedicated the time to the riff due to just not having the patience with it I suppose and for some reason now I really want to nail it down and am dedicating all the time it takes. Amazing how practice works.

Rob

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 10:38 AM
    Liked 612 Times in 387 Posts

yeah I am and its certainly helping. I am finding the speed is really starting to come but playing it clean it going to take a little bit more time. Just uploaded a vid on classicVH to show where I am at now. I still suck at it but its coming along real good. For all these years I have just not dedicated the time to the riff due to just not having the patience with it I suppose and for some reason now I really want to nail it down and am dedicating all the time it takes. Amazing how practice works.

Rob
    I saw your clip...you will get there! Just keep that metronome nice and slow, play slow and clean and gradually build up the tempo over several days of practice a couple hours a day. You should have it perfect in no more than a few weeks I should think. I am working at it too since I haven't played this in YEARS so I need to get back on the metronome horse too! Keep at it!

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

Will do,

thanks Garbeaj