Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 09:08 AM
    Liked 11,545 Times in 4,919 Posts

03.21.12: Van Halen @ Scotiabank Place - Ottawa, ON, Canada - REVIEWS & SET LIST!

Here's the review thread for the Ottawa show on 03.21.12.

Please note, unless you went to the show you shouldn't be posting a review. Please let's try to keep these clean by just having reviews in them.

For banter about the show, use the UPDATE & DISCUSSION thread for that.

Thanks!

Set List (Complete):

1. Unchained
    2. Runnin' With The Devil
    3. She's The Woman
    4. Romeo Delight
    5. Tattoo
    6. Everybody Wants Some!!
    7. Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    8. China Town
    9. Hear About It Later
    10. (Oh!) Pretty Woman
    11. Alex's Drum Solo
    12. You Really Got Me
    13. The Trouble With Never
    14. Dance The Night Away
    15. I'll Wait
    16. Hot For Teacher
    17. Women In Love
    18. Girl Gone Bad
    19. Beautiful Girls
    20. Ice Cream Man
    21. Panama
    22. Eddie's Guitar Solo
    23. Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    24. Jump
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Banned!
    Last Online

03.22.12 @ 08:04 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am a huge fan. First off let me say that I was very very close to the stage and Eddie was snorting during every break. Yep. Im serious.

Ok, so hes a rocker, I get it. Musically, their timing was off numerous times. I think they couldn't probably hear each other well or something.

Alex was rock steady, Eddie cooked, DLR wasn't bad for his age. BUT there was no chemistry at all. The bass player didn't even look at DLR. It looked like they hated each other. Even at the end when they bowed, the 3 brothers held hands and seemed to exclude DLR. Poor Dave had to nudge his way in.

Bummer, seems they got together just for money. If the bandmates dont like each other, they shouldnt play

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars
    Last Online

08.24.15 @ 08:58 AM
    Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by drummerman View Post
    I am a huge fan. First off let me say that I was very very close to the stage and Eddie was snorting during every break. Yep. Im serious.
    ...Because Ed has a cold, or are you suggesting that he's using drugs..?

Also, what makes you think that the bandmates do not like each other, and are "in it just for the money..?" I've seen two shows on this tour, (thus far,) and my impressions have been the opposite of yours. Granted, I saw the shows at Mohegan and in Manchester, which seem to have been two of the 5-10 best (so far.) Can you explain what you believe you saw?
    Last edited by VanJuJu; 03.21.12 at 10:39 PM.
    Springfield, MASS. - Hartford, CONN. =VH= Fans UNITE!

Favorite VH Album

The one with Ed on guitar.
    Favorite VH Song

The one with Ed's amazing solo
    Last Online

12.05.17 @ 03:49 PM
    Liked 186 Times in 92 Posts

Ok, so hes a rocker, I get it. Musically, their timing was off numerous times. I think they couldn't probably hear each other well or something.

Alex was rock steady, Eddie cooked, DLR wasn't bad for his age. BUT there was no chemistry at all. The bass player didn't even look at DLR. It looked like they hated each other. Even at the end when they bowed, the 3 brothers held hands and seemed to exclude DLR. Poor Dave had to nudge his way in.

Bummer, seems they got together just for money. If the bandmates dont like each other, they shouldnt play
    You are funny, now tell your mommy to give you your milk, and go to sleep.
    "I could call it anything, but the only word I can think of is Brown. It's just a warm sound. Warm, big, majestic" - Eddie Van Halen on his Tone

"Van Halen is definitely a ladies band, and I´ve got the Polaroids to prove it". - David Lee Roth

WOLFGANG did the IMPOSSIBLE, he brought back VAN HALEN, DEAL WITH IT.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 09:08 AM
    Liked 11,545 Times in 4,919 Posts

I doubt you were even there.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

VHII, FW, 1984, 5150, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

You want me to pick just one?
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 09:02 PM
    Liked 27 Times in 6 Posts

And the award for the most idiotic first post ever goes to ...
    "One of the reasons I left Sabbath was because Van Halen was blowing us off the stage every night. It was embarrassing." -Ozzy Osbourne

"When I first heard "Runnin' With The Devil" on the radio, I was stunned and found myself dizzy, walking through my high school hallways thinking, "What was THAT?!"
    Eddie Van Halen was so innovative and kicked so much ass, and David Lee Roth was for a time indisputably the Greatest Man in America.
    If aliens came down and challenged us to a Battle of the Bands to decide the fate of Planet Earth, I would feel very confident putting early Van Halen forward as our champion." -Tom Morello

"A lot of bands mature, which means they get square; they start delivering messages. Hey, you got a message, use Western Union." -DLR

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

11.05.17 @ 06:07 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Great review! You're an idiot.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

03.26.12 @ 06:53 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was at the show last night so will take a stab at this. First, the guy who claims Eddie was snorting, though I was not as close I have to say I don't think so. He did have a beverage sitting near the drum kit, what it was have no idea, but Eddie certainly seemed to be quite straight.
    Last time I saw VH was at the ACC in Toronto 2004, and I will say between that show and last night there is no comparison. Eddie's playing was spot on, and he made it all look so damn easy, everything seemed effortless. Wolf really brings it, I missed the last tour, but this one I have to say of Wolf WOW! I found the background vocals to be fantastic. I am afraid to say I really didn't miss Michael Anthony at all. I don't think he can sing as good live as what I heard last night. The show was very rehearsed I thought, band incredibly tight. Now, again I may get blasted for this, however I felt the lowest point was 'Hear About It Later'. I just found that particular song did not work at all, would have been nicer to hear Mean Street. Surprisingly for me the shocking standout was I'll Wait. They really nailed this song, was amazing, and I always hated that song. The sound was incredibly good, unlike 2004 when it was just as much a mess as Eddie. The entire night felt as though back in high school, was awesome to hear so many songs that have never seen live before (never saw them with DLR before). DLR is certainly not the greatest singer, but what a performer. whatever 'it' is he has it totally. I also did not get any sense that they didn't like each other, seemed to be a genuine comradery out there, especially between Dave and Ed. Was a great show, wish I could see them again. Other than Hear About it Later, the other real low point was the Ottawa crowd, which they are famous for. These guys blasted through the first few songs and put their hearts right out there and there was almost no response. Not a very full arena either, can see why Van Halen always passes over Ottawa, first time since 95 they played there and I suspect be another long wait. But, shorter drive than to Montreal or Toronto. C'mon Ottawa, get it together!!!

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

One more thing. The volume of the crowd chanting 'Go Leafs Go' was louder last Saturday night than the crowd in the arena last night

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

All, but a VERY few!
    Last Online

11.03.16 @ 02:00 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts

The "Bass Player?" You do realize he has a name (Wolfgang Van Halen) and is actually Edward's son? The "Three Brothers?" Are you familiar with Van Halen's music? I think you're a troll. dudeman = drummerman. hmmm. . . .

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

08.16.16 @ 07:07 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VHfan4Life View Post
    I was at the show last night so will take a stab at this. First, the guy who claims Eddie was snorting, though I was not as close I have to say I don't think so. He did have a beverage sitting near the drum kit, what it was have no idea, but Eddie certainly seemed to be quite straight.
    Last time I saw VH was at the ACC in Toronto 2004, and I will say between that show and last night there is no comparison. Eddie's playing was spot on, and he made it all look so damn easy, everything seemed effortless. Wolf really brings it, I missed the last tour, but this one I have to say of Wolf WOW! I found the background vocals to be fantastic. I am afraid to say I really didn't miss Michael Anthony at all. I don't think he can sing as good live as what I heard last night. The show was very rehearsed I thought, band incredibly tight. Now, again I may get blasted for this, however I felt the lowest point was 'Hear About It Later'. I just found that particular song did not work at all, would have been nicer to hear Mean Street. Surprisingly for me the shocking standout was I'll Wait. They really nailed this song, was amazing, and I always hated that song. The sound was incredibly good, unlike 2004 when it was just as much a mess as Eddie. The entire night felt as though back in high school, was awesome to hear so many songs that have never seen live before (never saw them with DLR before). DLR is certainly not the greatest singer, but what a performer. whatever 'it' is he has it totally. I also did not get any sense that they didn't like each other, seemed to be a genuine comradery out there, especially between Dave and Ed. Was a great show, wish I could see them again. Other than Hear About it Later, the other real low point was the Ottawa crowd, which they are famous for. These guys blasted through the first few songs and put their hearts right out there and there was almost no response. Not a very full arena either, can see why Van Halen always passes over Ottawa, first time since 95 they played there and I suspect be another long wait. But, shorter drive than to Montreal or Toronto. C'mon Ottawa, get it together!!!
    I was in Ottawa last night for the show and agree with VHfan4life's review of the show. I saw them in 2007 in Toronto, the whole arena stood for 2 hours. Last night quite a few people remained seated for most of the show. VH didn't really take breaks between the songs. Most songs basically flowed together. Band was tighter than in 07. Ed seemed to smile throughout alot of the songs. At one point Dave was telling someone to move away from the front of the stage and over to the side more. It seemed fairly important to him, but I was too far away to know what it was all about. I liked Ed's guitar sound, different again then last tour. More low end, kinda beefier I thought.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ahhh yes, I was pretty high up. That was one of the security guys standing at front of the stage Dave told to move. That was funny!!

Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:51 AM
    Liked 41 Times in 12 Posts

I was row 11 center floor...and I stood all the way through!
    I saw a few asses in the chairs, but it seemed to be wives/girlfriends who were dragged to the show (I wasn't looking back though!).

I thought the arena looked pretty full...the far corner sections in the upper bowl were empty, but most of the other seats were filled.

It could have been the few beers and whiskey shots that I had before and during the show..but I didn't find any low points in the show, even Dave's Dog stories were fairly brief. Dave's vocals were great .. again given it's not 1984...Ed's fingers must have been smokin' after his playing last night. Even Kool and the Gang was fun...got the crowd up and dancing ... ready for Van Halen

Funny points...as mentioned..Dave telling the security guy in front of him to move as he didn't want the guy between him and the crowd, Dave showing the tattoo on this ass! Dave telling a girl at the front that she was coming back to his hotel room, and Dave losing his mic for a bit after dropping it on the stage.
    No "I forgot the words" this time around.

Biggest Smile I've ever seen on Alex after the solo was done, Dave interacted with everyone (including Wolf) during the show, and they all seem to have a great time...and Wolf tore it up...that kid has some serious talent.
    Last edited by mcstravi; 03.22.12 at 06:08 AM.
    Finally trying to pick up guitar after too many years.
    Chickenfoot Rocks.
    .|
    /|\

Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:51 AM
    Liked 41 Times in 12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    I doubt you were even there.
    I can pretty much guarantee he wasn't.....his description ain't anywhere close...
    Ed when to the drums for a drink looked like a tall black can..probably one of those energy drinks..but that's about it.
    Finally trying to pick up guitar after too many years.
    Chickenfoot Rocks.
    .|
    /|\

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think drummerman was probably there, but he is just trying to stir it up. Everyone here has seen Eddie really messed up, and last night he was not. I will even go as far to say his playing was even better than the Balance tour. And as mentioned the guitar tone was absolutely amazing!! And I shouldn't have called HAIL a 'low' point, it just for me didn't work so just want to correct that. Also noticed a lot of dad's with their son's, like myself, and that was really cool to see!!