Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Unchained"
    Last Online

09.15.17 @ 08:03 AM
    Liked 1,395 Times in 441 Posts

Default The resurgence of Diver Down

The current tour is extremely fascinating to me in that it in one way or another represents the resurrection of the masterpiece that is Diver Down.

Obviously, this was the most maligned CVH record (and yep -- I had the record). I could post quotes here, but most know quite clearly that Ed has said he "hated" the album. But, IMHO, I think that's been taken a bit out of context. I think he hated the fact that he was trying to take some time off, so they put out "Pretty Woman", it skyrocketed, and then WB demanded an album immediately. So they went in and knocked out one song per day at a totally different studio. I don't think that Ed really hated the album.

Sure there are lots of covers -- but "Happy Trails" is just a throw-away (barely a minute) -- "Pretty Woman" and "Where Have All the Good Times Gone" are classics. Loved "Dancing in the Streets" when I was kid -- but now admit it was not a great choice (and I agree with Ed that he should've played the riff on his guitar like in Argentina).

"Big Bad Bill" is one of the single greatest moments in VH history, period. What joy they must've had recording with their dad. Man, I wish that session was filmed...

But last tour we got "Little Guitars" -- and now we're getting "The Full Bug" and "Hang 'Em High" as well as "Pretty Woman." Also, Ed plays "Little Guitars (Intro)" and "Cathedral" every single night.

They are really representing Diver Down, and I think it's great.

KBD3
    Author of Edward Van Halen: A Definitive Biography. Available on The Official Van Halen Store website (*preferred seller*), Amazon, Barnes & Noble.com, eBookShop.com, and iUniverse.com.

Official Van Halen Store link: http://www.vanhalenstore.com/page/VH/PROD/B60

VHND article: "Edward Van Halen: A Definitive Biography" Is a Must-Read http://www.vhnd.com/2011/11/10/edwar...s-a-must-read/

“I’m very excited, you know, to be makin’ music with my son, my brother, my new brother [Dave]… It’s, it’s the shit. That’s all I can say.”—Edward Van Halen, August 2007

Edward Van Halen: A Definitive Biography Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Edw...61217513921920

VHLinks forum topic thread : http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/book...rd-t53329.html

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

Diver Down is awesome.

Even as bad as Dancin' In The Streets gets killed I've never had a problem with it. And you can't tell me Ed doesn't rip into a great solo there.

I never minded Big Bad Bill because I was a kid and didn't sweat dumb shit like that, but looking back it's too bad they didn't go with a real tune. Anything would have been better than that.

Pretty Woman and WHATGTG are both pure Van Halen. I don't give a shit that they're covers and I never did. I've never gotten tired of Pretty Woman.

I agree it's been great seeing the love for DD on this tour. Especially being there for the Hang Em High in Boston. Would be cool if that turns out to be the only night they play it all year.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 09:09 AM
    Liked 6,839 Times in 3,579 Posts

Premium Member

I listened to Dancing In The Streets from BOBW in the car last week, and was blown away by how cool the opening sounded (cleaned up and on a good stereo). Made me really appreciate a song I had been passing over for years. I know a lot of people don't like that song, but that's the beauty of Diver Down... it's all likeable even if you don't (think you) like something.

Big Bad Bill is one of the finest band moments ever committed to tape... and I've heard people call it trash. It swings and always has... it's why CVH rocked so hard in spite of it.
    Last edited by Number 47; 03.20.12 at 03:22 PM. Reason: duh!

Last Online

Premium Member
    Perhaps a happy feel good thread?

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 09:00 AM
    Liked 18,139 Times in 8,963 Posts

The four originals on the album are great, and I really still like Big Bad Bill, they are one of the few rock bands that could pulll that off.

Maybe I liked DITS when I was younger, but I can't stand it now.

Pretty Woman is fine, and I know it was a big hit for them, but I am just sick of hearing it in their live show when they have incredible originals like Dirty Movies that have never been played live once.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH, WACF, FW, 5150, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Unchained/InASR/5150
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 04:30 AM
    Liked 298 Times in 161 Posts

Diver Down...there are some most excellent jams on it, both originals and covers, but it's the only album of the Heavenly Seven that has two songs that I'd rather not hear: (Oh) Pretty Woman and Dancing In The Streets. Other than that, it's great. Including Big Bad Bill and Happy Trails. They have a certain character that other bands completely lacked. Or lack.

"The shit I read on this site." -- Dave's Dreidel (Nov 6th, 2013)

"Don't ever confuse talent with fame." -- Bob Lefsetz

"There's very little greatness in this world, but in the crucible of quality there's a special corner reserved for Van Halen." -- Bob Lefsetz

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 03:59 PM
    Liked 555 Times in 251 Posts

I said when this album first came out that it was like Diver Down meets WACF meets Tattoo You

funny that first song was called "Tattoo"
    Eat Us and Smile!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.08.17 @ 01:53 PM
    Liked 285 Times in 146 Posts

Diver Down has always been my least favorite of the original 6, which means I only really really really like it.

Diver Down and 1984 could have been combined into one awesome album just by trimming 4 or 5 songs.

Last Online

Premium Member

Last Online

01.09.13 @ 04:01 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Diver Down is very underrated.

love Little Guitars, Hang 'Em High, The Full Bug, Cathedral !

I even like Big Bad Bill and DITS!

Favorite VH Album

All of them. except for III
    Favorite VH Song

Currently: Six Pack
    Last Online

09.09.13 @ 02:35 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Diver Down for me will always be a favorite summer album.

I think there was definitely some synchronicity between me and the VH camp over the last few weeks. I started listening to DD again a week or so after the Indianapolis show I went, and I a couple tracks, particularly The Full Bug and Hang Em' High really jumped out at me, and I started wondering how they would sound live. Sure enough, they start rotating the Full Bug or Romeo Delight, and Hang Em' High in the Outta Love Again/Girl Gone Bad slot!

Diver Down is an album I associate with a trip to LA I took back in 2010, when I went to E3, that big video game trade show for the first time. I had listened to the album many times before, but I finally bit the bullet and bought it on iTunes on my iPhone just before my plane from IAD to LAX, and the entire flight I listened to the entire six pack front to back and the Hagar albums, now that I finally had them all on one device. it was my first trip to LA alone, I was a mere 18 at the time (i'm 20 now, so I'm an old man :smoking

After landing, I spent the weekend getting my bearings, and exploring LA (by bus, was good and bad), all with Diver Down as my soundtrack. I walked down the Sunset Strip, and Downtown, and even got caught the middle of the gay pride parade (that was fucking bizarre thank god i was on a bus) in Beverly Hills.

Anyways, whenever I hear the opening of Diver Down and listen to that record, that's where it takes me. Good Old Sunny California.

(This unnecessarily long post was brought to you by the word too, as in "I have way too much time on my hands, among other things)

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 11:35 AM
    Liked 460 Times in 200 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Dodds View Post
    The current tour is extremely fascinating to me in that it in one way or another represents the resurrection of the masterpiece that is Diver Down.

Obviously, this was the most maligned CVH record (and yep -- I had the record). I could post quotes here, but most know quite clearly that Ed has said he "hated" the album. But, IMHO, I think that's been taken a bit out of context. I think he hated the fact that he was trying to take some time off, so they put out "Pretty Woman", it skyrocketed, and then WB demanded an album immediately. So they went in and knocked out one song per day at a totally different studio. I don't think that Ed really hated the album.

Sure there are lots of covers -- but "Happy Trails" is just a throw-away (barely a minute) -- "Pretty Woman" and "Where Have All the Good Times Gone" are classics. Loved "Dancing in the Streets" when I was kid -- but now admit it was not a great choice (and I agree with Ed that he should've played the riff on his guitar like in Argentina).

"Big Bad Bill" is one of the single greatest moments in VH history, period. What joy they must've had recording with their dad. Man, I wish that session was filmed...

But last tour we got "Little Guitars" -- and now we're getting "The Full Bug" and "Hang 'Em High" as well as "Pretty Woman." Also, Ed plays "Little Guitars (Intro)" and "Cathedral" every single night.

They are really representing Diver Down, and I think it's great. KBD3
    very well put Kevin. I have often also thought that even Ed says he hated Diver Down that it could have just been the timing of everything and that he was frustrated with Dave after Fair Warning and needed his own studio and unfortunately DD represented a lot of that. But no one can deny Full bug, Hang Em High, Little guitars and some of the others. Classic riffs.

again well put,
    Rob

Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

TIE! Humans Being and HAIL
    Last Online

09.07.17 @ 09:37 PM
    Liked 90 Times in 37 Posts

Well... IMO Diver Down was the start of the "Law of diminishing returns" with Van Halen. Starting with Diver Down, every following album had tracks that were just not "as good as" tracks from the previous albums.

Every track on the first four albums were either great by themselves, or were part of a really great run of songs, making those albums memorable. But starting with Diver Down, there are songs that are kind of like "speedbumps" that upset the momentum, the feel of a really great album. Skip material.

The first four CVH albums are just magical. Great music from start to finish (unless you hate on Tora Tora! which is fair enough - each to thier own). After Diver Down certain tracks on albums were just "meh"... And thats not an attack on any member of the band, nor an attack on the artistic direction that EVH went in during 1984, 5150 and OU812... its just my opinion.

But to echo OPs sentiment, its great that those jems from Diver Down are getting love on this tour. All thats missing is a resurgance of "Little Guitars"... and of course, "Secrets".

Last Online

Premium Member
    Dancing in the Streets

Dave: “It sounds like more than four people are playing, when in actuality there are almost zero overdubs – that’s why it takes us such a short amount of time [to record].”

Eddie: “It takes almost as much time to make a cover song sound original as it does writing a song. I spent a lot of time arranging and playing synthesizer on ‘Dancing in the Streets,’ and they [critics] just wrote it off as, ‘Oh, it’s just like the original.’ So forget the critics! These are good songs. Why shouldn’t we redo them for the new generation of people?’

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 02:09 AM
    Liked 1,481 Times in 903 Posts

Those songs on Diver Down sound great live!
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com