Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:34 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

Premium Member

Default 03.17.12: Van Halen @ Air Canada Centre - Toronto, ON, Canada - REVIEWS & SETLIST!

Here's the review thread for the Toronto show on 03.17.12.

Please note, unless you went to the show you shouldn't be posting a review. Please let's try to keep these clean by just having reviews in them.

For banter about the show, use the UPDATE & DISCUSSION thread for that.

Thanks!

Completed setlist:-

1. Unchained
    2. Runnin' With The Devil
    3. She's The Woman
    4. The Full Bug
    5. Tattoo
    6. Everybody Wants Some!!
    7. Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    8. China Town
    9. Hear About It Later
    10. (Oh!) Pretty Woman
    11. Alex's Drum Solo
    12. You Really Got Me
    13. The Trouble With Never
    14. Dance The Night Away
    15. I'll Wait
    16. Hot For Teacher
    17. Woman In Love
    18. Girl Gone Bad
    19. Beautiful Girls
    20. Ice Cream Man
    21. Panama
    22. Eddie's Guitar Solo
    23. Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    24. Jump
    A little zen....... Headed your way.......

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 11:07 AM
    Liked 6,680 Times in 3,704 Posts

Hey all,

Just back from the show, an excellent evening of music I'd say.

I was sitting in the 2nd row of the floors, basically right in line with Ed. Sitting beside me were 3 linkers - 2 to my left (MF5150 and CaboBrent) and my brother to my right (Finallyin2007). Funny side story when Mitch and Brent finally strolled in (they missed the opening act), one of the first things that Mitch did was to get a photo of me and him (the people I was with were wondering when I became a celebrity - being a Mod has it's perks, lol).

As for the show, the setlist is correct as posted. They came out on fire right off the bat with Unchained and to be honest they kept to that pace most of the night. The band was insanely tight. I thought that the crowd was excellent and that made for a great atmosphere.

Highlights - i thought the trio of songs right before Pretty Woman was the peak of the show (Doctor, Chinatown & Hail) - all 3 came off fantastic. Other tunes that I thought came off really well tonight were HFT, STW and TTWN.

Lowlights - I'll Wait did not sound right. I'm no guitar player but to my horrid ears Ed sounded out of tune. When I mentioned it to Mitch (he plays guitar) he thought I might have been right, the other guitar player I was with (a couple of rows back) didn't think so. But whatever it was it did not sound right, either way that's a tune I didn't like in 2007 and 5 years has not helped it. Also there seemed to be lighting issues off and on throughout the show with the spotlights - at the end of DTNA Ed turned his back to the crowd for the closing it appeared to avoid a light. And once he ended mouthed "fuck you" to whoever was responsible Dave also bitched about the spotlights a couple of other times. The only other lowlight was Dave's long ass dog story prior to Ice Cream Man - they should use that 5 minutes for another song.

Al - I'm sicking of saying Al was Al every show - but he is. Solid as usual, you barely notice he's even back there.

Wolfie - I didn't see much of him as he was on the other side of the stage most of the night and my focus is usually on Ed and then Dave. When I saw him he'd seemed much more comfortable on stage than he did last tour. His background vocals were fabulous and his playing spot on. I did not miss Mike at all at this show. And that's about the biggest compliment I could give Wolfie.

Ed - Ed played the stuff pretty flawlessly. He doesn't appear to have the speed he did back in the day. The solos seem changed or slowed down at times and his solo spot is not the perfect piece of playing it was in 1998 and before (though still light years better than 2004). He's not what he was but he's still great. And he seemed overjoyed on stage (well except for the lighting incident I mentioned). He just couldn't stop smiling and had a lot more communication with the crowd than he ever did on previous tours, he just seemed more alert to his surroundings, which is cool. He also just loves playing with his kid - even planting a kiss on his cheek at one point after singing a background in the same mic.

Dave - Well Dave was much different in 2007. I thought on that tour that he was very robotic. Everything was planned to the last second and he was completely focused on singing and almost nothing else. 2012 Dave is much more the smartass he was in prior days, and that's a good thing. He was having a lot of fun with the audience. When he messed up or forgot lyrics, he didn't seem to care and neither did we. Overall he sang ok - better in the first half of the show he seemed to wear down over the set. But he made up for it with his personality. Say what you will about him as a singer but that guy owns the room. And that's a skill that just does not go away - you can't teach that you just have it.

This show was a good solid 9 out of 10 to my ear - certainly much better than 2007 (I should go back and see how I rated that at the time).

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

The one's Ed plays on
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 09:42 PM
    Liked 849 Times in 397 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    Hey all,

Just back from the show, an excellent evening of music I'd say.

I was sitting in the 2nd row of the floors, basically right in line with Ed. Sitting beside me were 3 linkers - 2 to my left (MF5150 and CaboBrent) and my brother to my right (Finallyin2007). Funny side story when Mitch and Brent finally strolled in (they missed the opening act), one of the first things that Mitch did was to get a photo of me and him (the people I was with were wondering when I became a celebrity - being a Mod has it's perks, lol).

As for the show, the setlist is correct as posted. They came out on fire right off the bat with Unchained and to be honest they kept to that pace most of the night. The band was insanely tight. I thought that the crowd was excellent and that made for a great atmosphere.

Highlights - i thought the trio of songs right before Pretty Woman was the peak of the show (Doctor, Chinatown & Hail) - all 3 came off fantastic. Other tunes that I thought came off really well tonight were HFT, STW and TTWN.

Lowlights - I'll Wait did not sound right. I'm no guitar player but to my horrid ears Ed sounded out of tune. When I mentioned it to Mitch (he plays guitar) he thought I might have been right, the other guitar player I was with (a couple of rows back) didn't think so. But whatever it was it did not sound right, either way that's a tune I didn't like in 2007 and 5 years has not helped it. Also there seemed to be lighting issues off and on throughout the show with the spotlights - at the end of DTNA Ed turned his back to the crowd for the closing it appeared to avoid a light. And once he ended mouthed "fuck you" to whoever was responsible Dave also bitched about the spotlights a couple of other times. The only other lowlight was Dave's long ass dog story prior to Ice Cream Man - they should use that 5 minutes for another song.

Al - I'm sicking of saying Al was Al every show - but he is. Solid as usual, you barely notice he's even back there.

Wolfie - I didn't see much of him as he was on the other side of the stage most of the night and my focus is usually on Ed and then Dave. When I saw him he'd seemed much more comfortable on stage than he did last tour. His background vocals were fabulous and his playing spot on. I did not miss Mike at all at this show. And that's about the biggest compliment I could give Wolfie.

Ed - Ed played the stuff pretty flawlessly. He doesn't appear to have the speed he did back in the day. The solos seem changed or slowed down at times and his solo spot is not the perfect piece of playing it was in 1998 and before (though still light years better than 2004). He's not what he was but he's still great. And he seemed overjoyed on stage (well except for the lighting incident I mentioned). He just couldn't stop smiling and had a lot more communication with the crowd than he ever did on previous tours, he just seemed more alert to his surroundings, which is cool. He also just loves playing with his kid - even planting a kiss on his cheek at one point after singing a background in the same mic.

Dave - Well Dave was much different in 2007. I thought on that tour that he was very robotic. Everything was planned to the last second and he was completely focused on singing and almost nothing else. 2012 Dave is much more the smartass he was in prior days, and that's a good thing. He was having a lot of fun with the audience. When he messed up or forgot lyrics, he didn't seem to care and neither did we. Overall he sang ok - better in the first half of the show he seemed to wear down over the set. But he made up for it with his personality. Say what you will about him as a singer but that guy owns the room. And that's a skill that just does not go away - you can't teach that you just have it.

This show was a good solid 9 out of 10 to my ear - certainly much better than 2007 (I should go back and see how I rated that at the time).
    what a great review. not just kissing ass, but telling it as you see it. very cool.
    ...AND ON THE SEVENTH DAY, GOD CREATED VAN HALEN

VAN HALEN IS A LIFESTYLE

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 411 Times in 246 Posts

Got home about an hour ago.

Show was phenomenal.

At this moment in time, I can't really add anything above and beyond what Mike already said. He nailed it.

All I can say, right now, is that I had an AMAZINGLY AMAZING TIME. Ed's solo was easily the highlight for me.

But it was the people that made the night special though. From Eddie, Al, Dave, Wolf to cabo_brent, It's Mike, sinner's_swing, shark1972, lmr5150, motionblur....It truly was awesome chilling with these guys.

It was just an awesome night.

Full Bug and Girl Gone Bad.

Did I mention it was a fucking AWESOME night?!?

Pics and video coming soon.....
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/Romeo Delight
    Last Online

03.24.17 @ 12:29 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 6 Posts

Wow! Show was just as great as I anticipated. Had an awesome time at Jack Astor's before & after the show, which probably explains why I'm having such a hard time typing this right now!

VH was on fire tonight! In all the times I've seen them, I don't think I've ever seen Ed so "on it". Dave was great an sang amazingly I thought. There was the odd high note that might have been out of tune, but for the most part was spot on and even surpassed my expectations on some songs. Wolf was great and much better than '07, although he wasn't bad then, just much improved now. Al was Al as usual. Great setlist, great atmosphere and great pre-show/postshow party. Cheers to all the fellow linkers who were there!

I'm sure I may have more to say tomorrow but have to go to bed now.
    Last edited by shark1972; 03.17.12 at 11:54 PM.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:18 PM
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

I'll try to keep this a bit short: the band was awesome, very tight. I don't know if they've ever sounded this good together. If Wolfgang did the setlist again then good for him because it is much better than 2007. I never thought I'd hear Hear about it Later, The Full Bug, Girl Gone Bad, and Women in Love...it gave me goosebumps.

Dave sounded very good mostly. He struggled during Dance the Night Away for some reason, and at other points his voice faltered, but not often. I would say he was quite strong otherwise.

They seem to be much more of a band now. In 2007 things seemed a bit uncertain in comparison. Everything seems to have settled down now and they all seem really happy and comfortable with each other.

Eddie's solo was short. He doesn't seem too interested in wanking away for 10-15 minutes like he used to. The first 3 songs they played one after another with no delays in between at all. It didn't feel like they were rushing through the set list, but there is an economy to their approach this time around. I honestly think it has to do with age. I think these guys realize they can't perform the way they used to when they were young. Dave doesn't do any jumps or kicks, neither does Eddie...I think it's all for the better. They seem happy to focus on the music, giving the audience a good show, and keeping it moving. It ain't 1984, there are no more back stage parties and Dave handing out passes to girls via a numbered barrier system, no groupies hanging around the stage offering blow jobs. It was an older crowd last night, a few teens here and there, but a solid group of 40somethings and 50somethings, lots of people with grown kids etc.

Eddie's tone was really good last night. I think he's playing as well as he ever has. This is a different band with Wolfgang in it for sure. They sound a bit different. Background vocals were really strong overall but a bit shaky on Tattoo, terrific on all the others.

Just before the show Valerie was on the floor. She walked right past me on the way to the soundboard platform. She is rather stunning in person, very beautiful, she seemed really nice and stopped to chat with a few people. She was starting to attract a lot of attention so she got out there ...probably in town to celebrate Wolf's birthday the day before.

Only thing I was disappointed with was not hearing more of the new material. They could have dropped I'll Wait for another new tune. China Town sounded phenomenal. Pretty Woman sounded great and I enjoyed it, but I would have prefered another new tune instead...kudos on the setlist overall though, it is quite awesome.

Kool and the Gang was actually really good, I'm glad I caught them. The audience seemed into them and there was a really good vibe throughout the night.

I filmed the entire show so I'm just working on that right now. I'll try and post a few teasers in the other thread as soon as I can.

Last Online

12.11.17 @ 06:55 PM
    Liked 183 Times in 80 Posts

Incredible show!!!! I would highly recommend Section 117 to anyone looking to save a few bucks. I was lucky enough to snag two tickets for $120 each...about $60 under face value. Someone on StubHub liked me...haha. Anyway, I do want to say I saw Mitch and "the hat"...wish we could have gotten in touch, man, but you were having a blast down there. We had a David Lee Roth impersonator from a local cover band sitting right near us. He took a lot of pictures with people and was hilariously in character. There were a few noteworthy moments that I was able to catch from my angle. Ed was flawless the entire night but hit a wrong chord at the end of "Women In Love" during one of the easiest parts he had to play the entire night. He made a funny look like "oops!" I honestly don't think he missed a thing otherwise. Dead on. Dave sang the first verse of "China Town" twice...haha. He looked at Al midway through the second verse and just laughed. He flubbed a lot of lyrics last night...I think he was really in the moment of performing. Other than the spotlight issues, he was very happy. Wolf looked like he was really enjoying himself up there. He and Eddie did some cool stuff when ending songs. The kid has a lot of talent. It would be nice if they gave him a little solo spot. Al was Al...haha. Seriously, the dude is just so good.

I wouldn't have changed a thing with the setlist. It flowed well. "The Full Bug" was a nice inclusion but Dave was a step behind on the first verse and it sort of messed with the jam. He completely messed up the words there too. We got the infamous "I forgot the fuckin' words!" during GGB...Dave actually looked at our section and seemed to be looking for someone mouthing the words. I actually lost track and couldn't help...haha. Sorry Dave! It really did feel a lot more like a Van Halen show than '07. Dave was a goofball but he was so entertaining. He did a bunch of high kicks and a couple very low roundhouses. Nice to see him try them even though he doesn't get air anymore. His voice was pretty good most of the set. In the middle, he was a bit raspy. You could hear it during his ICM dialogue, but he kept pushing and making it work the majority of the time. I think last night was the best he sang "Jump" all tour. He hit the big notes.

I can't say enough about Eddie, though. The guy is on fire this tour and really seems to love it up there. He seemed to relish in shouting "David Lee Roth!!!! The ice cream man!!!" I think these guys are having a blast up there and I hope they continue on for awhile longer. There's still quite a bit of fuel in the tank.

I have quite a few good pictures and clips (although some of them aren't great visually since the AF was turned off...gah...). I'll try to get them up by tonight. Anyway, so glad I spent the money and took the 3-hour trip! My Dad really enjoyed himself too even though he isn't much of a music fan. He got a real kick out of Roth, especially. So I hope he have stuff up in a bit!

Last Online

01.23.14 @ 07:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I had third row tickets on Wolfie's side and it was absolutely incredible. The reviews coming in are right on the money, the show was killer. Valerie and Wolfie's girlfriend came in during the second half of the show and stood off to his side. Some toolbox in the front row stumbled up to Valerie and was taking her picture and trying to talk to her, so she went backstage. His girlfriend moved to the front pit, and stood beside the confetti blower for the remainder of the show. Wolfie and her had goo goo eyes for each other for the entire rest of the show, my girlfriend thought that was very cute.

Favorite VH Album

For Unlawful....
    Favorite VH Song

Love Walks In
    Last Online

08.04.14 @ 05:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dr.bullet View Post
    I had third row tickets on Wolfie's side and it was absolutely incredible. The reviews coming in are right on the money, the show was killer. Valerie and Wolfie's girlfriend came in during the second half of the show and stood off to his side. Some toolbox in the front row stumbled up to Valerie and was taking her picture and trying to talk to her, so she went backstage. His girlfriend moved to the front pit, and stood beside the confetti blower for the remainder of the show. Wolfie and her had goo goo eyes for each other for the entire rest of the show, my girlfriend thought that was very cute.
    Hey bro! We had front row Wolfie's side also! Her husband stood directly in front of us!

Amazing show! My first VH concert and only regret I never seen the boys sooner in my life!!
    First Van Halen show: Saturday, March 17, 2012 Toronto, Ontario!!!!!!

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 09:14 AM
    Liked 741 Times in 408 Posts

Premium Member

Net wondering what the average fan reaction to the new songs was like... Obviously would not be like jump - but were they excited by them ?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/F.U.C.K.
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 08:51 AM
    Liked 283 Times in 151 Posts

After seeing videos from this show I've finally decided that Dave NEEDS a teleprompter with the lyrics.

Last Online

12.11.17 @ 06:55 PM
    Liked 183 Times in 80 Posts

I think Dave would benefit from a teleprompter as well. He doesn't need to stare at it, but he should have something to look at if he forgets. I see no reason why not to in this day and age. Maybe he would feel guilty about using the "I forgot the fuckin' words" line if he had an excuse?

As for the new songs, "The Trouble With Never" was performed the best by all parties. "Chinatown" is a cool jam but I don't really feel it comes off well live. Maybe it's because Dave's vocals are suspect on it nightly. "Tattoo" sounded great last night and I think the crowd dug it. Dave showed his tattoo above his ass to us...haha. "She's the Woman" probably had the best response from the crowd, possibly because it was so early in the set, but the band rocked it.

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

Teleprompters are a good thing. I don't know why anyone would have a problem with them. So a guy glances down to check out a few words. Big whoop.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

02.10.15 @ 11:49 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

The number one thing I can say is even the best videos on YouTube don't do justice to seeing the 2012 version of Van Halen live in person. It's like a religious experience.

I brought my 17 year old nephew and we had 4th row center tickets. He isn't as intimately familiar with Van Halen as we are, but said it was awesome.

The band were amazing: tight but loose and a playfully charismatic stage presence. It's the best I've ever seen them (or any rock band for that matter).

Some key moments from the show:
    • The lighting crew was really pissing off Eddie. During a quiet part of GGB, they moved the spotlight off of him, making it difficult to see the fretboard. Eddie moved back into the spotlight himself, then they moved it off of him again. He moved into it again, then shouting "Fuck You!" to the guy in the lighting rig.
    • Dave told the lighting crew to move the spotlight on Eddie or himself a few more times. That lighting guy must have heard an earful last night after the show.
    • Wolfgang held the bass over his shoulder for the intro to RWTD.
    • Eddie was all smiles throughout the show, often directing them at Wolfgang (and Dave a few times too). Eddie was really interacting with the audience.
    • Wolfgang had great stage presence and great backing vocals.
    • Alex made a couple of small timing mistakes on fills, but was 99.8% perfect. The man is a monster on drums!
    • Dave was the best I've ever seen him. He's found the perfect balance of his skills to present to the Van Halen audience. He hit most of the note

A few highlights from my live Twitter stream:
    7:33pm
    Kool and the Gang are perfect openers for #VanHalen. If you don't understand that, you don't understand entertainment. They're killin' it.

9:24pm
    "I like the way the line runs up the back of your Canadian stockings." ~ @DavidLeeRoth #VanHalen #EverybodyWantsSome

9:56pm
    Lighting crew just got a big "Fuck You!" from EVH for moving the lights off him during the tapping part of Dance the Night Away! #VanHalen

10:13pm
    Lighting crew just got their asses handed to them by @DavidLeeRoth. #VanHalen

Eruption
    Last Online

09.23.13 @ 06:29 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well, another successful road trip done!

The show at the ACC last night was awesome! Waaaaaay better than in '07 in Montreal. The band was tight. Impressive. I stood for the entire concert, singing along. I was on Wolfie's side and I thought he was outstanding. His background vocals were good too. I also had a pretty good view of Alex all night and what a beast! He is a brilliant drummer. I sometimes get so wrapped up in Eddie that I forget everyone else. Speaking of Eddie...the King is back. He sounded great and looked like he was having a ball. Dave had a shit eating grin on his face most of the night and for the most part vocally, he was fine. He did repeat the first verse in China Town (I believe) instead of the second verse but who cares? It's rock 'n roll baby! Don't take it too seriously. I thought the new songs went over well. Most of the people around me were singing along to them. Tatoo sounded awesome live. Oh! And when they kicked into Hear About Later...hair raising! The Full Bug and Girl Gone Bad were a treat as well. What an awesome show. I'm a happy camper. My only regret is not hooking up with one single linker. This road trip was also about hooking up with family and chilling with them all weekend so it was kind of hard to make other plans. I stayed at my niece's place (she is in her early 30's and I'm in my 40's...her mom (my sister) is quite a bit older than me so my niece is more of my kid sister than a niece.) Anyway, we were at the concert together (her with her better half and me with mine) but we sat apart. She sends me a text saying she feels like she's 6 years old again dancing to Van Halen in my kitchen. (I used to babysit her all the time and I might have played Van Halen a lot back then...ok, not might...DID!) We all enjoyed the show. Before the show, we had VIP tickets to The Steam Whistler Brewery and the Saint-Patty's Day party there so we had a few pints before heading to Hoops for some food. I took it easy on the drinking because I didn't want to get messed up and miss most of the show because I'd be taking a piss every ten minutes.

The couple next to me drove up from Rochester N.Y. and they were pretty cool. They were in theire late forties or early 50's. And that's the thing about the crowd last night, so many older people. It was cool to see the younger crowd there singing along and chanting; "Eddie! Eddie! Eddie!" I had some twenty-somethings sitting beside me and they sung along to every song, including the new stuff. So, that was cool.

I really enjoyed myself. The band sounded great, like a well oiled machine. It's sad when the show ends...I wanted more! Anyway, what a great night.