Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Unchained"
    Last Online

09.15.17 @ 08:03 AM
    Liked 1,395 Times in 441 Posts

Close to turning 40...UGH!

So I turn 40 in about a month.

Honestly, while it does kind of suck, I really couldn't care less. I still wear jeans and Converse and rock shirts and still play live music -- I love watching Star Wars and stuff with my kids -- I still feel like a kid for the most part. (At the same time -- two cars, a house/mortgage, wife, two kids, full-time job, blah blah blah).

Just something about that "4" out there -- UGH!!!

Oh well. As per Gene Wilder in "Young Frankstein" -- I'll take it with "quiet dignity and grace."

KBD3
    Author of Edward Van Halen: A Definitive Biography. Available on The Official Van Halen Store website (*preferred seller*), Amazon, Barnes & Noble.com, eBookShop.com, and iUniverse.com.

Official Van Halen Store link: http://www.vanhalenstore.com/page/VH/PROD/B60

VHND article: "Edward Van Halen: A Definitive Biography" Is a Must-Read http://www.vhnd.com/2011/11/10/edwar...s-a-must-read/

“I’m very excited, you know, to be makin’ music with my son, my brother, my new brother [Dave]… It’s, it’s the shit. That’s all I can say.”—Edward Van Halen, August 2007

Edward Van Halen: A Definitive Biography Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Edw...61217513921920

VHLinks forum topic thread : http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/book...rd-t53329.html

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 11:27 AM
    Liked 7,884 Times in 4,610 Posts

Premium Member

I'm right there with ya. It doesn't bother me though as I have always looked forward to getting older. I would never want to go back to my younger days, although I did have a lot of good times.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Stuff I wish people had told me when I was 39:

1. Your body is going to change, and if you eat like you did at 30 you will put weight on fast. You can still eat all the foods you love - just eat less of it.

2. Slow down just a bit. Think about the world when you were 20, then think about all the stuff which changed up to today...Went by fast, right? It's gonna get faster from here on out.

3. You're beginning the second half of your life, so learn a new trick. Take a class at the community college, indulge in a hobby you've been putting off. This will keep you fresh.

4. If there is something you've wanted to do that is physically demanding - get to it ASAP. Yes, there are guys who are running marathons in their 80s, but the odds are you won't be one of them. So if you've always wanted to climb Everest, hike the Appalachian Trail, build your own log cabin, or whatever you need to get on that.

5. Your body is going to change. Period. DNA is your enemy, so talk to mom and dad (if you can) and look at pictures of them from when they were in their 40s because what happened to them will happen to you. I wear glasses to read, I didn't wear glasses before I was 40.

6. Speaking of Mom & Dad. Your 40s is when you start the count down to losing them. Yeah, blunt, I know. So make a point of making taking time to talk to them on the phone, and going to see them. Same is true with other older family members. You are also going to hear about friends/people you went to school with passing away more frequently than you want to. So reconnect with old friends, bury those hatchets, and tell someone you care about how you feel.

7. Because you're older younger people are going to look to you for answers and guidance. So think before you open your mouth. Don't be afraid to say "I don't know".

8. Take better care of yourself. I stopped drinking when I turned 40. I did so to avoid bitch-tits (which is were alcohol stores its brand of fat on people 40+). Get out and walk, hit the gym if you can. Nothing fancy.

9. Learn to be honest with yourself.[ This was the hardest thing for me]. Over the next decade there are going to be things you just won't be able to do any more. There's nothing you can do about it. If you are in touch with yourself it will be less traumatic. Also chances are there are things you've put up with all your life that you really don't need to deal with any more. So don't.

10. Have fun whenever you can. In spite of all the ugly things I've posted my 40s have been mostly a good time. I have a much better perspective on things, and the result is I don't get my panties in a twist as often. Better yet, I just don't wear panties. Problem solved.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Unchained"
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by CaboChris View Post
    I'm right there with ya. It doesn't bother me though as I have always looked forward to getting older. I would never want to go back to my younger days, although I did have a lot of good times.
    I told someone the other day, I wish that I could be 20 again...with a 40-year-old brain!

It's hard to confront how stupid and ignorant we could be when we were so young. I was a tornado of book smarts and street idiocy, and was culturally clueless when I was 18-19.

But damn I wish I still had that energy. That's the ONLY thing I miss.

KBD3

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 11:27 AM
    Liked 7,884 Times in 4,610 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Axxman300 View Post
    Stuff I wish people had told me when I was 39:

1. Your body is going to change, and if you eat like you did at 30 you will put weight on fast. You can still eat all the foods you love - just eat less of it.

2. Slow down just a bit. Think about the world when you were 20, then think about all the stuff which changed up to today...Went by fast, right? It's gonna get faster from here on out.

3. You're beginning the second half of your life, so learn a new trick. Take a class at the community college, indulge in a hobby you've been putting off. This will keep you fresh.

4. If there is something you've wanted to do that is physically demanding - get to it ASAP. Yes, there are guys who are running marathons in their 80s, but the odds are you won't be one of them. So if you've always wanted to climb Everest, hike the Appalachian Trail, build your own log cabin, or whatever you need to get on that.

5. Your body is going to change. Period. DNA is your enemy, so talk to mom and dad (if you can) and look at pictures of them from when they were in their 40s because what happened to them will happen to you. I wear glasses to read, I didn't wear glasses before I was 40.

6. Speaking of Mom & Dad. Your 40s is when you start the count down to losing them. Yeah, blunt, I know. So make a point of making taking time to talk to them on the phone, and going to see them. Same is true with other older family members. You are also going to hear about friends/people you went to school with passing away more frequently than you want to. So reconnect with old friends, bury those hatchets, and tell someone you care about how you feel.

7. Because you're older younger people are going to look to you for answers and guidance. So think before you open your mouth. Don't be afraid to say "I don't know".

8. Take better care of yourself. I stopped drinking when I turned 40. I did so to avoid bitch-tits (which is were alcohol stores its brand of fat on people 40+). Get out and walk, hit the gym if you can. Nothing fancy.

9. Learn to be honest with yourself.[ This was the hardest thing for me]. Over the next decade there are going to be things you just won't be able to do any more. There's nothing you can do about it. If you are in touch with yourself it will be less traumatic. Also chances are there are things you've put up with all your life that you really don't need to deal with any more. So don't.

10. Have fun whenever you can. In spite of all the ugly things I've posted my 40s have been mostly a good time. I have a much better perspective on things, and the result is I don't get my panties in a twist as often. Better yet, I just don't wear panties. Problem solved.
    Good advice.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Unchained"
    Last Online

Awesome post, Axxman.

Unfortunately, I've already lost my brother and my father. I had to deal with family death WAY too early. I'm on my second marriage as well.

Almost exactly a year ago -- I entered into "take it easy all the time" mode. There's almost no act, unexpected expense, utterance, or situation that's gonna make me even come close to freaking out. Takes a long time to realize, but freaking out does one thing and one thing only -- makes things worse. My best friend told me bluntly one day, "Man, I know there are times when you can't make a situation better, but damn man, you sure have a knack for making things a whole lot worse."

I've stopped doing that. I'm done doing battle with my wife, co-workers, and band mates. Either it's worth a little effort to make things right as necessary, or it just rolls right off my back.

Also -- recovering alcoholic (3+ years sober) and live with and manage depression. That's another reason I, well, I didn't stop caring, but damn, it takes a lot to rile me up. Like saying "It's not VH without Michael Anthony" -- now that gets me pissed! haha

KBD3
    Author of Edward Van Halen: A Definitive Biography. Available on The Official Van Halen Store website (*preferred seller*), Amazon, Barnes & Noble.com, eBookShop.com, and iUniverse.com.

VHND article: "Edward Van Halen: A Definitive Biography" Is a Must-Read http://www.vhnd.com/2011/11/10/edwar...s-a-must-read/

“I’m very excited, you know, to be makin’ music with my son, my brother, my new brother [Dave]… It’s, it’s the shit. That’s all I can say.”—Edward Van Halen, August 2007

Edward Van Halen: A Definitive Biography Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Edw...61217513921920

VHLinks forum topic thread : http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/book...rd-t53329.html

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Unchained"
    Last Online

Axxman -- again, awesome post brother.

KBD3

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

08.22.16 @ 01:22 PM
    Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts

Default Never trust a fart!

"Everything comes to me while I'm sitting on the pot." - EVH

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Love 'em all! (esp. F.U.C.K)
    Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

12.04.17 @ 04:15 PM
    Liked 1,228 Times in 845 Posts

You're only as old as the guy that you feel, apparently - and, as I ain't feeling one, I am thinking that must make me ZERO... Therefore, it would seem to be true that life most definitely BEGINS at 40...Hoorah to that!!!
    I'm FEMALE...Deal with it!

"Whatever you do, wherever you go, there you are..." Edward Van Halen 1986

"You spend the first part of your life trying to make your mark, and the second part just trying to cover up your tracks"... Weesfreewheelin, 2012

"Life's too short to stuff a mushroom"... Shirley Conran, 1975

"You turn if you want to...The LADY is NOT for turning!"...Margaret
    Thatcher, 1980

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 08:01 AM
    Liked 2,388 Times in 1,490 Posts

Premium Member

I had some great times in my 40s. Especially after my divorce.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:36 AM
    Liked 18,160 Times in 8,975 Posts

You are only as old as the woman you are sleeping with my friend.

A client of mine told me this once he turned 50.

"When you turn fifty, there are three things you need to know. One, never trust a fart. Two, never pass up a chance to go to the bathroom. Three, never waste a hard-on, because you never know when you are going to get another one!"
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 12:34 PM
    Liked 11,591 Times in 4,941 Posts

It sucked turning 40 last year. I got over it pretty fast and it doesn't bother me now. I still do the same dumb crap I did 20 years ago and you're only as old as you feel. Plus when I went to see Van Halen last month at the Forum, I got carded for beer so that made me feel good.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Song

Ain\'t talkin bout love
    Last Online

07.19.17 @ 06:26 PM
    Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts

Start focusing now on minimizing your long term debt. Think long and hard about taking on any new debt. Before you know it, your going to be pushing 50 and you will begin to start realizing that working 50-60 hour work weeks just don't seem to have the same appeal as they do right now.

Believe it or not, your going to want a more simpler and layed back type of lifestyle as you reach some of these plateau years. At first you might panic a little about not having everything in your life exactly the way you always pictured it in your mind. Do yourself a favor and let some of the illusions go. Concentrate on putting yourself in a position that will allow you to spend more time with family and friends and projects or hobbies that you enjoy.

I love to work and will probably never stop working, but I one day want to be able to do it under my own terms.

You spend the first part of you life trying to make your mark, and the second part just trying to cover up your tracks.
    Last edited by weesfreewheelin; 03.18.12 at 07:03 AM.
    Know Roth
    Know Van Halen

No Roth
    No Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 11:55 AM
    Liked 1,084 Times in 726 Posts

Premium Member

Someone asked John Stockton how he felt on his 40th. He said, "a day older than I did yesterday." Knee injuries heal slower I've found, other than that, It's a number, deal with it.

Cheers, have one on me!
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Kids, just say NO to marriage". (Al Bundy)

Rawhide in "A"

OAA

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:36 AM
    Liked 18,160 Times in 8,975 Posts

Apologies for my post, I had no idea it was in that movie.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!