Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default St. Patrick's Day Replaced With 'O'Green Day' At Massachusetts School

Saturday is St. Patrick’s Day. Some school children celebrated on Friday by wearing green, pinching those who wore no green, and eating green-colored Rice Krispies Treats.

At the Soule Road School, in Wilbraham, Mass., Principal Lisa Curtin worried that a holiday named after a Catholic saint might cause discomfort. She renamed the holiday “O’Green Day,” in an effort to be “inclusive and diverse.”

http://www.masslive.com/news/index.s...nistrator.html

It’s the latest example of sensitivity gone mad — a trend that threatens our values and traditions.

Principal Curtin is so uber-politically correct that her students don’t even celebrate Valentine’s Day. They celebrate “Caring and Kindness Day.” That’s because Valentine, like Patrick, was a Catholic saint.

The Washington Post’s “The Style Blog” on Friday published an article critical of “paddywhackery” — “the act of playing up Irish attributes that are stereotypical to the point of offensiveness.”

The Post’s Style section producer, Maura Judkis, explained that offensive elements of St. Patrick’s Day celebrations include leprechaun hats, T-shirts that celebrate drinking, and binge-drinking “a.k.a. your typical St. Patrick’s Day celebrations in any town with a university.”

The Post was so serious that Judkis quoted a New York University Irish studies professor as an expert on ethnic etiquette. Professor Joe Lee said in an email to the Post that celebrations of St. Patrick’s Day are “annoying (or at least unfortunate) if it’s a sign of herd mentality.”

Judkis expounded on Lee’s commentary, writing: “Irish people — and Irish Americans who take St. Patrick’s Day seriously, as an actual celebration of Saint Patrick, may be disappointed each year to see the same stereotypes rehashed. But others feel that Irish identity, stereotypes and all, belongs to those who have actually been born into it.”

Good gracious. On one hand we have the politically correct war on Christianity taking on St. Patrick’s Day because it celebrates a Catholic saint. On the other, we have the Washington Post lecturing us about boorish Americans, some of whom are not Irish, having the audacity to celebrate leprechauns and beer without giving reverence to the real reason for the party — an Irish saint.

Sensitivity and propriety play important roles in society. Most humans have feelings. Americans have a diverse array of values, traditions and moral convictions that must be respected and tolerated if we are all to live together.

Alas, we have reached the point at which sensitivity has become a problem. Our efforts to avoid offending one another have traditionally enhanced civility. Today, tolerance and sensitivity are misused as weapons against traditions and reasonable activities.

Should public schools avoid celebrating St. Patrick's Day because of it's religious origins? Vote in poll to the right. Must vote to see results.
    http://www.gazette.com/opinion/patri...-saturday.html

Almost no one who celebrates Valentine’s Day, or St. Patrick’s Day, does so out of a deep and abiding respect for the saints these holidays were named for. For any school to avoid mention of “St. Patrick” is not a sincere effort to protect students who are not Catholic. It is, instead, an effort to promote hostility toward religion, cloaked as a gesture of “inclusive and diverse” sensitivity.

When the Washington Post tries to spoil our fun, by telling us leprechaun hats are offensive to an ethnic group, it exploits sensitivity as a weapon of control. No one celebrates St. Patrick’s Day to exhibit ill will toward the Irish.

It is time to say enough. Stand up for American traditions and beliefs, even if you’re deemed an insensitive boor.
    Last edited by voivod; 03.16.12 at 06:55 PM.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 10:07 AM
    Liked 353 Times in 182 Posts

That's right up there with one of the schools in my city that banned Halloween last year because "candy is unhealthy, and some students' customs might not involve dressing up."

Only in this fucking state.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In a Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

04.27.16 @ 06:28 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

St. Patty's Day really has nothing to do with religion in our society. It has to do with replacing your blood supply with Kilbeggan, punching the crap out of people who don't actually disrespect you but you think they do because you're seeing two of them, and waking up next to the bartender who responsible for your public intoxication charge. And that's offensive HOW???
    ***OFFCIAL TLW 8 VIRGIN/SURVIVOR!***

"Mean ass calendar!"-TST

"GYPSY DILDO PUNKS!"-Harry Dean Stanton

I'm Polish but I don't speak any of the language or know anything about it's culture other than getting mowed down by Hitler...-fast98dodge

My head is freshly shaven and I have cleaned the house before my departure-Viking preparing for TLW

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

This country has gone to shit. The stupid fucking uptight bullshit never ends. It's sickening.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

I fucking hate Green Day.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In a Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

04.27.16 @ 06:28 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by LLFHS View Post
    I fucking hate Green Day.
    ***OFFCIAL TLW 8 VIRGIN/SURVIVOR!***

"Mean ass calendar!"-TST

"GYPSY DILDO PUNKS!"-Harry Dean Stanton

I'm Polish but I don't speak any of the language or know anything about it's culture other than getting mowed down by Hitler...-fast98dodge

My head is freshly shaven and I have cleaned the house before my departure-Viking preparing for TLW

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:46 PM
    Liked 18,111 Times in 8,947 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Al Van Bundy View Post
    That's right up there with one of the schools in my city that banned Halloween last year because "candy is unhealthy, and some students' customs might not involve dressing up."

Only in this fucking state.
    They banned candy on Halloween and Valentine's Day in my kids school because it is unhealthy...but they can get ice cream every fucking day in the lunch isle.

Same geniuses in my school have gotten rid of 1st place in the science fair because it hurts the feelings of those that don't win.

It's called fucking Saint Patrick's Day, if the idea of celebrating the birthday of a Catholic Saint offends you, then don't celebrate it.

It's Valentine's Day, if the idea of celebrating the birthday of a Catholic Saint offends you, then don't celebrate it.

It's Christmas Day, if the idea of celebrating the birthday of a Jewish carpenter from Galilee offends you, then don't celebrate it.

I am not Muslim and don't celebrate Ramadan or any other of their religious holidays, but I don't care if someone else does, and I don't give a shit if they say to me "Happy Ramadan", "Happy Hanukah(sp?)", or Happy Bellon Button Lint day.

We obviously have too much fucking free time on our hands and there must be no real problems in the world, if this is the shit that is news worthy.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

12.05.17 @ 03:19 AM
    Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by voivod View Post
    At the Soule Road School, in Wilbraham, Mass., Principal Lisa Curtin worried that a holiday named after a Catholic saint might cause discomfort.
    I'd dispute the idea of Patrick being an exclusively Catholic saint. There are two St Patrick's Cathedrals in my home town of Armagh, where St Pat set up his first church; one is Catholic and the other is Protestant/Anglican. He predates the Reformation, so he is a saint for all Christian denominations.

There are a bunch of parades in Ireland today, including here in Armagh, and I'll be giving them a wide berth. It's very likely there'll be rioting between rival factions in town tonight, so I'll be battening down the hatches.

And here's an article that might be of interest to my American friends who consider themselves Irish: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...312716707.html

Happy St Patrick's Day!
    HERE AND GONE by Haylen Beck (Stuart Neville writing as...) - "It doesn't get better than this." - Lee Child, "Highly recommended." - Harlan Coben, "Cancel all your plans and settle in for the ride." - Ruth Ware, "This is a book that lives up to the buzz." - Alafair Burke

Summer 2017 UK & North America

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:46 PM
    Liked 18,111 Times in 8,947 Posts

Sidebar, as a society, what does an expert on ethnic etiquette really contribute?
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 03:20 PM
    Liked 2,383 Times in 1,487 Posts

Premium Member

Just an American Idiot here and proud of it! Happy St Paddys Day!
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

11.27.15 @ 03:34 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts

Donor

Happy Saint Patty's from Boston!

. . . . .
    "The eagle lands at midnight: bacon burger ice cube over" ~ jetguy5150

Favorite VH Album

=VH= II
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:39 PM
    Liked 786 Times in 377 Posts

Premium Member

Just another lesbian looking for any excuse to diss the Church. She's dumb and should be punished for robbing these children of their culture.

Saint Patrick was a stand up dude.

Happy Saint Patrick's day everyone!

Saint Patrick taught the Irish about the Holy Trinity by showing people the shamrock, using it to illustrate the Christian teaching of three persons in one God,, Father, Son, Holy Spirit.

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

On Fire
    Last Online

10.06.17 @ 09:49 AM
    Liked 16 Times in 7 Posts

This comment may not go down well but I have big problem with this kind of thing.

I think if you are in Mass. and you have a problem tolerating Catholic traditions.....you should fuck off out of Mass.

What the hell is this world coming to?
    Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Love Again
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 08:43 AM
    Liked 1,689 Times in 644 Posts

After two drinks, he would look like an Irish pirate. You know?

"The less I needed, the better I felt." ~ Charles Bukowski.

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Wruff_ajax View Post
    Just another lesbian looking for any excuse to diss the Church. She's dumb and should be punished for robbing these children of their culture.
    Not that I support this woman's decision in any way, but this comment doesn't exact you elevate ya either, bud. Sheesh.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!