Register
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Jump
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 07:25 AM
    Liked 180 Times in 91 Posts

Default Anti-Semitic Comment About Dave?

I was reading the review of the Van Halen show in Montreal last night and the writer, Mark Depage, wrote something that stopped me in my tracks and reminded me of what Dave has said before. I remember him saying that the press would mention him being Jewish for no legitimate reason and he takes offense to that. Check out this line from Lepage which appeared in The Gazette:

The VH had been unlikely from the get-go, with a smart Jewish baton-twirler fronting hard rockers and the dominant instrumentalist of his period, a guy with a smile of bliss and an atomic talent he put to the service of songs about stocking lines running up the back of a chick’s legs.

What does Dave being Jewish have anything to do with being a baton-twirling frontman? I'm sorry but that comes off as odd to me and possibly anti-semetic.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

The entire 1984 catalog
    Last Online

08.20.13 @ 02:53 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Mmmm. I don't read it that way. That's just em tho.
    Visit Van Halen - A Different Kind of Timeline. Your Van Halen "coffee table e-book". Music videos, full concerts, documentaries, photos, album releases and more. Scroll through reverse-chronological history of the greatest all-around rock band of all time.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

07.17.17 @ 03:12 PM
    Liked 77 Times in 30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EAS View Post
    I was reading the review of the Van Halen show in Montreal last night and the writer, Mark Depage, wrote something that stopped me in my tracks and reminded me of what Dave has said before. I remember him saying that the press would mention him being Jewish for no legitimate reason and he takes offense to that. Check out this line from Lepage which appeared in The Gazette:

The VH had been unlikely from the get-go, with a smart Jewish baton-twirler fronting hard rockers and the dominant instrumentalist of his period, a guy with a smile of bliss and an atomic talent he put to the service of songs about stocking lines running up the back of a chick’s legs.

What does Dave being Jewish have anything to do with being a baton-twirling frontman? I'm sorry but that comes off as odd to me and possibly anti-semetic.

That's not anti-Semitic. Not even close. It's unnecessary, completely, and would make a modicum more of sense if he mentioned the Van Halen's ancestry or something, but be careful with calling it anti-Semitic.

Favorite VH Album

VH, VH2, FW, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Big River, Little Guitars
    Last Online

03.22.17 @ 07:01 AM
    Liked 120 Times in 49 Posts

I can't even figure out how to reply to this.

You're reading WAY too much into it.
    Waylon Jennings: 1937-2002.
    "There ain't nothin' quite as sad as watching your heroes die."

RIP, Hoss!

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Jump
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 07:25 AM
    Liked 180 Times in 91 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by M.C. View Post
    That's not anti-Semitic. Not even close. It's unnecessary, completely, and would make a modicum more of sense if he mentioned the Van Halen's ancestry or something, but be careful with calling it anti-Semitic.
    O.K. I see your point. That's why I put the word "possibly" there. I guess, like you said, it's just unnecessary. I'm not Jewish so I don't have a personal feeling on it. I showed it to my boss who is Jewish and he used the word "odd" as well and wasn't offended.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by EAS View Post
    O.K. I see your point. That's why I put the word "possibly" there. I guess, like you said, it's just unnecessary. I'm not Jewish so I don't have a personal feeling on it. I showed it to my boss who is Jewish and he used the word "odd" as well and wasn't offended.
    Who knows what the agenda of the writer was too. But if I were doing that, I'd find it much more...I dunno, acceptable or even interesting to say something like:

The VH had been unlikely from the get-go, with a bottled blonde from the mid-west fronting Dutch turned southern California hard rockers and the dominant instrumentalist of his period, a guy with a smile of bliss and an atomic talent he put to the service of songs about stocking lines running up the back of a chick’s legs.

The Jewish thing is just so out of place and isn't even worth bringing up. Ahhh - those puzzling Canadians.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind of Truth
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

01.13.16 @ 05:43 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I take more offense to "baton twirler". Really? That's Dave's main talent?
    Staying Frosty

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Burning Tires View Post
    I take more offense to "baton twirler". Really? That's Dave's main talent?
    If that writer was at the Keswick Theatre solo show a bunch of years back he wouldn't think so.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If that writer was at the Keswick Theatre solo show a bunch of years back he wouldn't think so.
    What happened?
    Staying Frosty

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

09.20.17 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 84 Times in 45 Posts

I have a couple of Jewish friends who love the fact that Van Halen and Rush are fronted by Jewish singers. And they remind me of it all the time. They're proud of it. Perhaps this writer is Jewish.

And no, don't assume that the writer's real last name is LePage or DePage or whatever. Having worked in journalism and at a newspaper for years in a previous life, I witnessed more than a few coworkers using "made-up" names.
    "We got the brand-new album, we got the brand-new songs, we got the brand-new equipment, we got the brand-new show... And we got the same ol' shitty attitude!" David Lee Roth, May 20, 1984 in San Diego

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Burning Tires View Post
    What happened?
    He did the spinning the mic-stand thing during the encore and whacked himself in the head - twice, right above the eyebrow. It was nasty. Blood everywhere. He went to a local hospital afterward to get stitched up. Didn't stop singing the song though - props for that.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

He did the spinning the mic-stand thing during the encore and whacked himself in the head - twice, right above the eyebrow. It was nasty. Blood everywhere. He went to a local hospital afterward to get stitched up. Didn't stop singing the song though - props for that.
    Ah, I vaguely remember something about that. Thanks for recalling that.
    Staying Frosty

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 08:57 AM
    Liked 2,658 Times in 1,331 Posts

Yeah, I don't know what the writer's intent was but simply using a factual description hardly counts as an insult in my view. Would it have been anti-blond if he wrote "with a smart blond baton-twirler" instead? I mean, what difference does it make if he's blond or not, why mention it? I'm going to regret making a political reference but it seems like the same thing with President Obama's name. If you even include "Hussein" in his name when you say it then you must be some sort of racist or Muslim-hater (even though he's not Muslim), on the other hand, people referred to the second president Bush as "W" all the time. This to me has more to do with insecurites that are set off by people who are looking to be offended more than anything. It's more than that actually, it usually sets off people who are looking to be offended on behalf of other people who are not usually themselves offended.

This reminds me of the on-again off-again university mascot controversy. Some names are clearly hard to defend, "Redskins", etc. But some schools have gone so over the top in trying to be sensitive that they now have a policy where they won't even schedule opponents in sports where the opponent has a name they consider offensive. This has had the ridiculous and completely opposite effect of actually being more offensive to the party in question at times. The Utah Utes for example have had pressure on them to change their name simply because it's the name of the actual Ute Tribe. Not only are the Utes not offended, they have endorsed and given permission to the university to use their name and they're proud of it. Yet other people who are so concerned about showing how much they care are offended for them and either want the name changed or protest any efforts to schedule them. It's insane. They aren't the Utah Savage Murdering Scalping Barbarian Indians, for crap's sake. Simply referring to the proper name "Utes" even with their permission is somehow racist and offensive.

Besides, I think he should be more offended by "baton-twirler".

I see Burning Tires beat me to it.

Favorite VH Album

Too hard to choose
    Favorite VH Song

Too hard to choose
    Last Online

06.02.16 @ 09:13 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah, they had to cancel the New Orleans House Of Blues Show because of that. I was looking forward to it, would have been my first Roth show. If I recall correctly, it was a little after the DLR Band. He never rescheduled. What a goof!

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH, WACF, FW, 5150, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Unchained/InASR/5150
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 04:30 AM
    Liked 298 Times in 161 Posts

Not offended. Good article, too.

--- --- ---

This just made me realize how unusual the VHLinks are. Here we are at an unofficial Van Halen website, run by a clever Jewish webmaster, alternately praising and damning our favorite band.

"The shit I read on this site." -- Dave's Dreidel (Nov 6th, 2013)

"Don't ever confuse talent with fame." -- Bob Lefsetz

"There's very little greatness in this world, but in the crucible of quality there's a special corner reserved for Van Halen." -- Bob Lefsetz