Register
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Unchained"
    Last Online

09.15.17 @ 08:03 AM
    Liked 1,395 Times in 441 Posts

Default My recent trip to SF -- VH-related stuff (some crazy pics)

I was just in San Francisco for a few days -- didn't have a chance to hook up with Johnny Beane because my time was so crunched (we'll make it happen next time!), but a handful of VH-related stuff popped up -- some of which was pretty awesome stuff.

My friend William who lives there took me to a gallery called The San Francisco Art Exchange that specializes in rock photography. It's kind of a small gallery, but the photos they had of Hendrix, The Beatles, The Stones, Dylan -- they were just absolutely amazing, and they were huge pieces of art. And so if you want one of 25 prints of the original negative of the Abbey Road album cover signed by the photographer, and you have $150,000 to spend -- that'd be the place to go. My buddy actually did purchase a Keith Richards 1968 piece (I didn't ask how much...) so they know him in there. We get to talking with the woman and my friend told her I wrote a book on Ed. She goes, "Really? Cool, well, come on back here for a second." She took us in a small back room (really low light) where they store pieces that aren't on display at that time. We walked in and this was the huge piece on the wall:

The woman said the photographer put the mosaic together piece by piece rather than using on of those programs that does it automatically, thus, ummm, this particular picture of Mr. EVH is selling for $50,000.

Here are some close-ups of the mosaic art:

I'll withhold last names, but there was a guy there named Tony that overheard us talking about EVH -- he was there for a meeting with the gallery owner so clearly this guy was of means. He just said something like, "Did I hear that you wrote a book on Eddie Van Halen?" and he proceeded to tell me he's best friends with a couple that went to high school with Edward. The girl Sara was a really close friend of Ed's in high school, and the guy was Ed's next door neighbor Frank. Frank's dad was European as well so he and Jan had a special bond. Ed was so close to Sara and Frank that Ed was actually in the delivery room when their son Jason was born. So because this guy was friends with Sara and Frank, he got to go to tons and tons of shows, backstage, the works in the early 80s. Lots of stories. I actually ended up talking to the guy on the phone (I gave him a business card). Wild stuff, man.

Then on our way in to town the next day we were sitting at a red light and my buddy goes "Hey, check that out."

Not a common sight in my neighborhood! It was cool as hell.

Then came the capper. I had to return my rental car to a place well south of the airport and it was raining like hell and it just sucked in general navigating the 101 in the rain. So I exit and out of the corner of my eye I see an image that makes me snap -- I turn up and glance trying not to wreck the car and I swear to god I look up and see 15 foot statue of the Western Exterminator dude from the 1984 tour. I was running so tight on time and it was impossible to navigate back to -- I was so bummed. But the rental car shuttle went past it. Again, it was raining super bad, but I was able to snap this photo:

For a dude out to SF for a few days from Austin, that was some pretty damn cool stuff. I couldn't believe seeing the Western Exterminator guy -- I'm sure it's common to you guys in Cali but it was a total trip for me.

LONG POST ENDS............now.

KBD3
    Author of Edward Van Halen: A Definitive Biography. Available on The Official Van Halen Store website (*preferred seller*), Amazon, Barnes & Noble.com, eBookShop.com, and iUniverse.com.

Official Van Halen Store link: http://www.vanhalenstore.com/page/VH/PROD/B60

VHND article: "Edward Van Halen: A Definitive Biography" Is a Must-Read http://www.vhnd.com/2011/11/10/edwar...s-a-must-read/

“I’m very excited, you know, to be makin’ music with my son, my brother, my new brother [Dave]… It’s, it’s the shit. That’s all I can say.”—Edward Van Halen, August 2007

Edward Van Halen: A Definitive Biography Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Edw...61217513921920

VHLinks forum topic thread : http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/book...rd-t53329.html

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights, Cabo Wabo
    Last Online

10.19.17 @ 06:44 PM
    Liked 55 Times in 21 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Cool stuff!

Artists I Have Seen: 1D, 38 Special, Aerosmith, Alabama, Bad Company, Bad English, Billy Squire, Bob Seger, Bon Jovi, Boston, BTO, Cheap Trick, Chicago, Chickenfoot, Cinderella, Daughtry, Dave Matthews Band, Default, Def Leppard, Dio, Dokken, Drowning Pool, Eagles, Earth Wind & Fire, Eddie Money, Eric Clapton, Farenheit, Fleetwood Mac, Foreigner, Garth Brooks, George Strait, Glass Tiger, Heart, Huey Lewis and the News, Jackson Browne, Jimmy Buffett, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, Joe Bonamassa, John Mellencamp, Journey, Keel, Kingdom Come, Kings X, KISS, Kool and the Gang, Krokus, Lionel Richie, Little River Band, Lou Gramm, Loverboy, Los Lonely Boys, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Metallica, Michael Bolton, Nickelback, Night Ranger, Paul Stanley, Peter Frampton, Pink Floyd, Poison, Red Rider, REO Speedwagon, Santana, Sammy Hagar, Shinedown, Steely Dan, Steve Miller Band, Styx, Ted Nugent, Tesla, The 1975, The Black Crowes, The Roots, The Wallflowers, U2, Van Halen, Whitesnake, Zac Brown Band, ZZ Top

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning and ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

All of them
    Last Online

09.07.15 @ 02:12 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts

Pretty interesting
    Janie Liszewski did the IMPOSSIBLE she helped Eddie Van Halen get better. Deal with it.

The day is dunzo lets have some funzo- DLR AS IS

Somedays you're the dog Somedays you're the hydrant- DLR Bullethead

It's not who you squeeze but who returns to squeeze you, no doubt, love em all I says let cupid sort em out!

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

08.08.17 @ 07:08 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That mosaic is awesome! Good find!

Eruption
    Last Online

08.17.12 @ 11:19 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Dodds View Post
    I was just in San Francisco for a few days --

Cool post mate.

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:32 AM
    Liked 1,483 Times in 904 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nicholas_kudochop View Post
    That mosaic is awesome! Good find!
    Very cool!!
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Favorite VH Album

BOBW
    Favorite VH Song

Crossing over
    Last Online

04.03.12 @ 11:26 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I almost got the hammerman tat back in the day....oh to be back in 1984 again...
    Sam, Dave,Gary... who cares. its all about what makes you feel good.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

03.13.17 @ 10:28 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That mosaic is completely awesome, how big would you say it is? I assume the photographer is Lynn Goldsmith, always loved her shots of VH, especially the tank shots and the ones at the beach. She needs to put out a VH photo book like Zloz did.

Thanks for sharing!

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 10:41 PM
    Liked 209 Times in 124 Posts

Premium Member

If I knew you were coming I would have baked a cake...

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.12.16 @ 10:22 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts

Glad to hear you had a "Van Halenous" trip in San Fran.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Unchained"
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Nitrous Eyes View Post
    That mosaic is completely awesome, how big would you say it is? I assume the photographer is Lynn Goldsmith, always loved her shots of VH, especially the tank shots and the ones at the beach. She needs to put out a VH photo book like Zloz did.

Thanks for sharing!
    You are exactly right, Lynn was the photographer. The thing was huge, at the least 48x36, maybe bigger.

If you're in SF, it's worth checking out.

KBD3
    Author of Edward Van Halen: A Definitive Biography. Available on The Official Van Halen Store website (*preferred seller*), Amazon, Barnes & Noble.com, eBookShop.com, and iUniverse.com.

VHND article: "Edward Van Halen: A Definitive Biography" Is a Must-Read http://www.vhnd.com/2011/11/10/edwar...s-a-must-read/

“I’m very excited, you know, to be makin’ music with my son, my brother, my new brother [Dave]… It’s, it’s the shit. That’s all I can say.”—Edward Van Halen, August 2007

Edward Van Halen: A Definitive Biography Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Edw...61217513921920

VHLinks forum topic thread : http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/book...rd-t53329.html

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Unchained"
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by steve mcqueen View Post
    If I knew you were coming I would have baked a cake...
    Thanks man! May not be too long before I get back if things pan well.

KBD3

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 02:18 PM
    Liked 461 Times in 200 Posts

great stuff Kevin.
    I was in SF 2 years ago and did not get to see the cool stuff you did. I also did not get to hook up with JB either but I tell you. That Western Ex guy is cool. Never knew what or who he was.

thanks for posting,
    Rob