Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Eruption
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 10:33 PM
    Liked 266 Times in 142 Posts

Premium Member

Default Anyone do their own refret job?

My 5150 tribute guitar is going to become a wall hanger unless I can get this buzzing on a few lower frets to stop. I fear I have already taken off too much fret material with files and now I have to do the same to each fret below the one I work on. I'm thinking it'd be a fun project just to refret it and get them done right all at once.

Sooooo, I really like the action on my EBMM EVH and also that of all the Wolfgangs I've played. Does anyone know what gauge fret wire to buy if I wanted this one to feel the same? And tell me how you DIY'ed this job on your own axes.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
    My 5150 tribute guitar is going to become a wall hanger unless I can get this buzzing on a few lower frets to stop. I fear I have already taken off too much fret material with files and now I have to do the same to each fret below the one I work on. I'm thinking it'd be a fun project just to refret it and get them done right all at once.

Sooooo, I really like the action on my EBMM EVH and also that of all the Wolfgangs I've played. Does anyone know what gauge fret wire to buy if I wanted this one to feel the same? And tell me how you DIY'ed this job on your own axes.
    The Wolfgangs (Peavey) came with Dunlop 6105 fretwire.

It is a tall task to re-fret a guitar if you've never it done it before. After the frets are installed you need to do a complete level, crowning, and beveling and shaping of the edges.

Last Online

12.14.17 @ 03:29 PM
    Liked 727 Times in 344 Posts

I've attempted to re-fret a scrap neck I had laying around to see if I could do it. I initially had some trouble getting the frets to seat in the neck. I was trying to tap the frets in. I thought it would be a much easier job than it is.

After researching, I quickly discovered that there are a multitude of tools you should have if you want to do the job right. These tools are expensive, and by the time you bought them all, you could have paid a professional to do it for you a couple times over. Even with all the proper tools, I would have lacked the experience to make it a real pro job.

I would say, unless you are going to commit yourself to re-fretting necks on the side for a profit, it wouldn't be worth it to buy the tools you would need just to re-fret one neck. For the same amount of money, you could send your guitar off and get it re-fretted and Plek'ed.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Eruption
    Last Online

Premium Member

Yeah, I watched some Youtube videos on the process last night. I think it's more than I want to deal with at this time. I think I'll keep an eye on eBay for a replacement neck, painting it up again won't be much of a task, and then I'll refret this one when I have nothing better to do, just for the experience. I plan to do a Frankenstrat build next, but will use high-grade materials, not this beater guitar I got for the 5150 build.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Unchained"
    Last Online

09.15.17 @ 08:03 AM
    Liked 1,395 Times in 441 Posts

God, I've been playing for 30 years and have done quite a few little mods here and there, but I wouldn't even dream of refretting a guitar. Mine are just too personally valuable for me to take a chance on screwing them up.

I'll do lots of other stuff -- I can even intonate by myself pretty easily, switch out knobs and switches, but no effing way am I going to try and do a fret job -- unless the guitar cost $20.

KBD3
    Author of Edward Van Halen: A Definitive Biography. Available on The Official Van Halen Store website (*preferred seller*), Amazon, Barnes & Noble.com, eBookShop.com, and iUniverse.com.

Official Van Halen Store link: http://www.vanhalenstore.com/page/VH/PROD/B60

VHND article: "Edward Van Halen: A Definitive Biography" Is a Must-Read http://www.vhnd.com/2011/11/10/edwar...s-a-must-read/

“I’m very excited, you know, to be makin’ music with my son, my brother, my new brother [Dave]… It’s, it’s the shit. That’s all I can say.”—Edward Van Halen, August 2007

Edward Van Halen: A Definitive Biography Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Edw...61217513921920

VHLinks forum topic thread : http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/book...rd-t53329.html

Eruption
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Dodds View Post
    God, I've been playing for 30 years and have done quite a few little mods here and there, but I wouldn't even dream of refretting a guitar. Mine are just too personally valuable for me to take a chance on screwing them up.

I'll do lots of other stuff -- I can even intonate by myself pretty easily, switch out knobs and switches, but no effing way am I going to try and do a fret job -- unless the guitar cost $20.

KBD3
    Ditto. I woudn't do this on one of my good guitars, but this one is a total beater. The replacement neck, if I butcher it, is $45 on eBay.

On Fire
    Last Online

10.04.16 @ 10:31 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Dodds View Post

KBD3
    I agree but i have always wanted t learn to dress them