Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 05:40 PM
    Liked 11,593 Times in 4,941 Posts

03.13.12: Van Halen @ Verizon Wireless Arena - Manchester, NH - REVIEWS & SET LIST!

Here's the review thread for the New Hampshire show on 03.13.12.

Please note, unless you went to the show you shouldn't be posting a review. Please let's try to keep these clean by just having reviews in them.

For banter about the show, use the UPDATE & DISCUSSION thread for that.

Thanks!

Set List (complete):

1. Unchained
    2. Runnin' With The Devil
    3. She's The Woman
    4. The Full Bug
    5. Tattoo
    6. Everybody Wants Some!!
    7. Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    8. China Town
    9. Hear About It Later
    10. (Oh!) Pretty Woman
    11. Alex's Drum Solo
    12. You Really Got Me
    13. The Trouble With Never
    14. Dance The Night Away
    15. I'll Wait
    16. Hot For Teacher
    17. Women In Love
    18. Girl Gone Bad
    19. Beautiful Girls
    20. Ice Cream Man
    21. Panama
    22. Eddie's Guitar Solo
    23. Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    24. Jump
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

Another fantastic show. I raved about Boston but I actually enjoyed this one even more. I had much better seats (down low on Ed's side) and a much better buzz ().

The whole show was great so to pick favorites is kind of tough, but my standouts tonight were:

1. Unchained
    2. Running With The Devil
    3. Everybody Wants Some
    4. Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    5. Pretty Woman

So fucking good!! Eddie was a beast again and I think Dave was even better tonight than Sunday. I thought tonight he put on about as good a show as he's capable of. I can't think of a single thing to criticize of him. Bonus points too for tearing those douche bags in the front a new asshole!

Sad to see VH leave New England. Two unforgettable nights in 3 days.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

06.29.13 @ 11:41 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Last night for me was also the better of the 2 shows (boston,manch). The band seemed to really be in an effortless groove. I had real issues with the mix in Boston while sitting in the balcony that I didn't have with similar seating in Manchester. The sound was very clear/articulate in all areas to my ears. Musically things really flowed, and I thought DLR sounded fantastic as well. He truly is the ultimate showman. DLR stopping the show was almost as funny as the shocked/deer in the headlights look Ed had at the sudden stop/dialogue that ensued. Wolfie looked like he's been playing with the band for all of his 21 years, and handled the harmonies in the same light. He was ALL OVER IT. Alex is a beast, incapable of falling out of the pocket.

Full bug was awesome. DLR sang/fit the words in nicely without it feeling rushed, Ed and Wolf were right on the "wooo ohh's" with tight harmonies throughout

Everybody wants some- They just kicked the crap out of this on both nights

Women in Love- Just filthy all around. Tapping/riff/harmonies..the full package.

Hear about it Later- Love me some Fair Warning

Hot for Teacher- Al and Ed on the drum riser killing the intro and continuing to destroy the rest of the song.

Looking forward to the clips/hopeful for a dvd!
    Last edited by NHVHFan; 03.14.12 at 05:05 AM. Reason: mispelled

Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

simple rhyme
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 05:41 AM
    Liked 1,204 Times in 532 Posts

Soundcheck in NH EVH played beginning of Don't tell me solo then they all broke out laughing. DDL during soundcheck also.
    WHAT IS UNDERSTOOD NEED NOT BE DISCUSSED

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH-II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Girl gone bad/Dreams live
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 08:59 AM
    Liked 140 Times in 64 Posts

Great show. I have seen vh every time since 1986 and this was awesome! Set list was incredible! One of my friends worked the show and met the band very briefly, set up amps and helped set up Alex's set. He snapped a pic of the set list and hang em high was on it. I guess they switched to ggb which was fine by me.

Dave sang much better than I expected and the fight was bizzarre. My only criticism is the way he sings dance the night away. That melody he uses in the verses is just not working. Great show though and everyone played great!
    "What do you expect from a guy who makes his living beating things with a stick!"-EVH

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

04.06.12 @ 06:10 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

First post here.
    Last night was my first VH show, and being a relative noob (VH wise, not when it comes to going to shows) I thought the show was incredible. One of the more high energy/powerful shows I've been to in a while. They absolutely killed it.

I recorded it, so if another source doesn't show up in the near future, I'll put mine up.

Last Online

11.14.12 @ 07:51 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mikehunt5150 View Post
    DDL during soundcheck also.
    Must. Get. Video.
    yeah.......i'm still here.

Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Beautiful Girls!
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 01:26 AM
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

First off I want to thank everyone here for the good vibes sent forth, after I had to bolt from the show early. My son is doing well now, the tick was completely removed, but now we have to wait a week or so to see if he was affected with lime. Anyway, onto my review, which will be brief and quick!

I arrived at manchester around 6:30 to meet up with JRK/IED for some beers and food. We were trying to hook up with a few people from the links, but never actually happened. At one point we were to hook up with DD and Mike, but never did. After a great meal I might add, we made our way over to the Verizon Wireless Arena at 8:45, well after Kool and the Gang ended their set.

JRK and I were down in Section 3, Row A on Wolfie's side and the show was ready to go! The boys opened up with Unchained, which sounded REALLY tight and Dave was spot on. Next they ripped into RWTD, which I did record, and it is up on youtube... She's the woman ripped, and then into the Full Bug. At that point I got the text message from my wife about the little guy with a "A BUG IN HIS SKIN" as the text said, and then next thing I know she was taking him to the ER in Boston... I turned to JRK and said I had to bail as I had no idea what was going on and my wife was all frantic. All in all, this will be a memorable VH concert... What I did see and hear was great, and Wolfie was on fire... I am psyched I got to hear FB, but I am disappointed that they will not be returning back to the area any time soon as this was the last New England Gig.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/HBSD
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 01:07 PM
    Liked 120 Times in 28 Posts

My full review...

My wife and I drove up from Cape Cod since we could not make Boston. Our 2 boys had hockey tryouts that night. Hey, that wasn't a problem when we were 22.

Got there early as many have said Kool and the Gang were worth seeing. We disagreed. Recognized some of the songs, band was tight and talented, but just didn't connect for us.

VH - As others have also mentioned, YouTube in no way does justice to what this band is doing right now. I'll actually spare all the comments about how well they are playing, we all know they are in peak form. Here are some details:

I thought Dave's voice was excellent. On pitch and strong all night. I would argue that he is better live now than back in the day in that he's singing the whole songs and paying more attention to getting it right if that makes sense.

Al = Al. Not sure how to add to that.

Wolf killed it. Pounding bass lines, professional looking, having a blast. Harmonies were spot on. OK...I have to say it cuz it's how I feel...the harmonies on Women in Love, DTNA, and others sounded, ummm, better than Mike. Oh man, no I di-int. I think beacause of his age the higher harmonies sound more natural?

Ed is everything everyone has been saying. He is a beast. Most importantly, he literally had a smile/grin all night.

I should have put this earlier, but about 10 minutes before Kool came out, Ed and Wolf came to the side of the stage where it meets the stands and shook hands with a few people and chatted for a minute. My mouth froze open so I didn't say anything. Damn it.

The band is entirely different now than in '08. Then, it seemed almost a little forced, now Dave is an equal in the band again and he knows it. Seems like he feels he's the leader again and not just the singer. Yes, it seems and feels like back in the day again.

There were countless times when Ed and Dave just looked at each other with big smiles. I think that they can't believe that they are this happy, this good, and still doing it. Ed cracks up now at Dave. Many times last night. Where he used to seem bothered when Dave would go in to story time, he now seems happily amused. When Dave stopped Pretty Woman and scolded the fighters, Ed had that "You're in trouble now" face. To the fighters, not to Dave.

You can feel all of this when you're there. You can not feel it on YouTube.

Ed gave big smiles to the sound guy all night. You could tell Ed thought his tone was perfect last night and was letting the sound guy know it.

My wife (an Ann Murray and James Taylor fan) said it was the best show she ever saw. Her two best lines were:

"Is Dave gay?" and "It looks like Ed doesn't even have to try, it looks too easy"

Now I'll get to work on some videos.

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

Deklon - Outstanding take on the whole thing. I agree with every word of that. Very well said.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

12.23.16 @ 05:16 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Deklon2 View Post
    My full review...
    Yes, it seems and feels like back in the day again.
    Did you see them in the early days?

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/HBSD
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by danielb View Post
    Did you see them in the early days?
    Yes, first in 1981. Then every year since.

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 05:31 PM
    Liked 630 Times in 294 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bostonian View Post
    First off I want to thank everyone here for the good vibes sent forth, after I had to bolt from the show early. My son is doing well now, the tick was completely removed, but now we have to wait a week or so to see if he was affected with lime. Anyway, onto my review, which will be brief and quick!

I arrived at manchester around 6:30 to meet up with JRK/IED for some beers and food. We were trying to hook up with a few people from the links, but never actually happened. At one point we were to hook up with DD and Mike, but never did. After a great meal I might add, we made our way over to the Verizon Wireless Arena at 8:45, well after Kool and the Gang ended their set.

JRK and I were down in Section 3, Row A on Wolfie's side and the show was ready to go! The boys opened up with Unchained, which sounded REALLY tight and Dave was spot on. Next they ripped into RWTD, which I did record, and it is up on youtube... She's the woman ripped, and then into the Full Bug. At that point I got the text message from my wife about the little guy with a "A BUG IN HIS SKIN" as the text said, and then next thing I know she was taking him to the ER in Boston... I turned to JRK and said I had to bail as I had no idea what was going on and my wife was all frantic. All in all, this will be a memorable VH concert... What I did see and hear was great, and Wolfie was on fire... I am psyched I got to hear FB, but I am disappointed that they will not be returning back to the area any time soon as this was the last New England Gig.
    I was in row YY in section 3 which is only 2 rows away I think. Hope everything works out with your son!
    VH RULES!
    21 Shows Attended 1993-2015

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

12.23.16 @ 05:16 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just out of curiousity, were the shows back then on a whole another level, if you know what I mean? Thinking about energy, Dave's swagger etc?

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/HBSD
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by danielb View Post
    Just out of curiousity, were the shows back then on a whole another level, if you know what I mean? Thinking about energy, Dave's swagger etc?
    In that way yes. Back then it was just a huge party. Dave sang half the words and nobody cared. Crowds were nuts and loud the whole time.

Now it's more a celebration of the catalog and the career.

What I meant by saying it was like back in the day is that it seems all 4 band members are equally important, even Wolf. in '08 Wolf was like he was in a talent show, and I think Dave was afraid to piss anyone off. They all seem on the same page now.