Favorite VH Album

Everything but III
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

07.18.15 @ 02:43 AM
    Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

Default An open letter to the VHLinks Mods

(I'm pretty sure this will get closed before anyone can discuss it.)

Dear Mods,

Obviously I'm not the most beloved entity here on the 'links - certainly not a favorite among the mods - but I'm a pretty big Van Halen fan and I enjoy being a part of this community.

I'm dealing with some frustration, however, when, anytime I try to post something creative or fun for the other fans on here, my threads get closed down.

First, back in January, I made a fan video for the new single, 'Tattoo'. I created a thread (or, rather, as I was very new and couldn't even figure out how to create a thread, I had another linker friend created it for me) which you can see here: Fan Made Tattoo Video (MWood919). Four days later, it was closed by "Double Down" because he thought "this baby had run its course". (I'm sure there were lots of other reasons - I even left the thread after feeling incredibly insulted by a handful of comments from both mods and regulars alike.)

After that, things were cool for a while. And then, this morning, I created this thread: The 'Bitter Enemies' Tour (Pure Fan Fiction). It, too, was closed down a mere 3 hours later (again, by "Double Down") because:

1. This topic is going nowhere.

2. You used the word frienemies.
    Real cute, right?

Now, maybe there's something I don't understand about discussion forum websites like these... maybe there's some logistical reason that threads need to be shut down, but I doubt it. Maybe "Double Down" has a vendetta against me personally. Or, maybe there's something more.

You see, this has only happened twice and, admittedly, maybe I'm overreacting a bit here, but it seems like every time I try to post some creative work I've done and shared with the community on here, it gets squashed real quick. Because of that, here's what I felt like writing to Mr. "Double Down" as soon as I discovered he'd closed the new thread:

Dear DD,

Why did you close my thread about the fantasy concert lineup? It "wasn't going anywhere"? What the hell, man?

Since when does a thread on VHLinks need to "go" anywhere? This whole place is just for news and entertainment. What "goal" do all these other discussion threads achieve that mine wasn't?

Seems to me like you were just hunting around for threads to close as a power-trip. Like, "Hey, I'm a mod! I have more power than almost everyone else on here now! So I'm gonna fuck with some people!" You didn't even let it stay up for 3 hours! Hardly anyone even got a chance to comment on it or get it on the discussion.

Seriously, I go to the effort of making up a cool fan poster, and with the click of a mouse button, you're just gonna shut it down because... you can? Who does that kinda thing!? Seriously, think about it; what KIND of person does that?

It was just for fun and people were having fun discussing it. I wasn't starting any controversy or fights. People were discussing it nicely. What real reason could you possibly have to shut it down other than to serve your own masturbatory delusions of power? If one of the other mods had posted this, you wouldn't have dreamed of shutting it down. I'm still considered a "n00b" around here, so it's some kind of duty of yours to push me out?

I went through this once already when I made my Van Halen fan video for 'Tattoo'. Do you guys have something against creativity or imagination? Does it offend you? Are you guys jealous because you can't make anything creative yourself? Is that why you consistently "shut down" any thread that contains any actual creative effort from someone else? Is that your contribution to the community?

Really not cool, man.
    But then I figured that would be pretty mean; just me venting my frustrations and making unfounded accusations about his reasoning behind his actions. (But, still, that was how I felt at the moment.)

So, now I'd rather just put the whole thing out here with little more than a question: What am I not understanding?

I'm sure you guys have some line of reasoning or a protocol for shutting down the threads created by us little people... but I really don't understand it. I'm sure there are other people in this community who feel the same way I do, as some of them have sided with me on previous threads on this issue. Honestly, I'm not looking for attention - even if it is kinda fun when I get kudos for my work - I'm just trying to spark some conversation and have some fun with the other great Van Halen fans around the world.

Please help me understand if there's something I need to do differently or do better... or if I'm just doomed to be a black sheep on here and eventually get banned from the 'links.

Thanks,
    Mike

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 03:12 PM
    Liked 6,673 Times in 3,698 Posts

DoubleDown didn't close the bitter enemies thread, he's not even in a mod in that forum. You probably owe him an apology.
    Last edited by It's Mike; 03.11.12 at 03:37 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Have a soft spot for F*U*C*K
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

08.25.17 @ 05:45 PM
    Liked 30 Times in 11 Posts

Donor

Damn.. you just got in ahead... yep, not DoubleDown. The evil being this time was OneFoot ... however, I can see the theory behind it. Thing is, there are and have been a lot of threads where your poster could have been placed, and mostly the VH vs CF has been pretty much done to death over the last few weeks. Baring in mind that the "Bitter Ememies" tour is just that, fan fiction and less chance of appearing than me winning the lottery, maybe he thought it was kinda pointless. May have been better posted in the VH photoshop thread even.

Just MHO! Peace!
    ****Texas - Home Of My Heart****

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Album

Everything but III
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    DoubleDown didn't close the bitter enemies thread, he's not even in a mod in that forum. You probably owe him an apology.
    You're absolutely correct. That was my mistake. It was "onefootoutthedoor" on that one. So, yes, he's the one I meant to say all those nasty things to, but then didn't... anyway, my point still stands, and my question still remains. Sorry, DD.

Favorite VH Album

Everything but III
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by stilleddiesangel View Post
    Damn.. you just got in ahead... yep, not DoubleDown. The evil being this time was OneFoot ... however, I can see the theory behind it. Thing is, there are and have been a lot of threads where your poster could have been placed, and mostly the VH vs CF has been pretty much done to death over the last few weeks. Baring in mind that the "Bitter Ememies" tour is just that, fan fiction and less chance of appearing than me winning the lottery, maybe he thought it was kinda pointless. May have been better posted in the VH photoshop thread even.

Just MHO! Peace!
    Okay, so maybe there was a better place to post it. If so, I'll admit, I'm still learning about all the different forums here and I just wasn;t aware of that one. But still, my point was: does every thread need to have a "point" or a "goal"? I'm just expressing some thoughts and ideas and looking for discussion. These are "discussion threads" right? What's the harm?

Good Enough ED'S A 20THCENTURY MOZART's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Like em all. even III. ;}
    Favorite VH Song

A Lot!
    Last Online

09.08.16 @ 05:36 PM
    Liked 116 Times in 66 Posts

I thought ur thread idea this morning was a good idea. We'd all love to see those three bands tour together, if not for a whole tour, but a few shows. But ur title..'Bitter Enemies' was what probably threw it off.

I respect your thoughts..but it's 'cliquey' here. Ya got to watch what ya post or the vultures come out. Certain posters stick together in groves here. And then gang up on people.

Its still a cool place for VH talk and Info, along w other stuff......so..
    I DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' CLICK!

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by MWood919 View Post
    You're absolutely correct. That was my mistake. It was "onefootoutthedoor" on that one. So, yes, he's the one I meant to say all those nasty things to, but then didn't... anyway, my point still stands, and my question still remains. Sorry, DD.
    i think you're probably reading too much into this. Onefoot was a little quick closing that (in my opinion) but he probably just wanted to close up what he figured would be a shitstorm. I don't think there's anything personal about it. I don't think it was aimed at you but rather aimed at the topic.

As for your video thread, if memory serves the thread wasn't closed because of the video but because of a scrap between Doin Time and some others.

Favorite VH Album

Everything but III
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by ED'S A 20THCENTURY MOZART View Post
    I thought ur thread idea this morning was a good idea. We'd all love to see those three bands tour together, if not for a whole tour, but a few shows. But ur title..'Bitter Enemies' was what probably threw it off.

I respect your thoughts..but it's 'cliquey' here. Ya got to watch what ya post or the vultures come out. Certain posters stick together in groves here. And then gang up on people.

Its still a cool place for VH talk and Info, along w other stuff......so..
    Oh, that was just a stupid idea for a cool-sounding name. It's not like there's nothing but love between all those guys, even now. But the fact that the tour would even be happening would kind of prove that the name "Bitter Enemies" was just a tongue-in-cheek joke name. Calling it "The 'Everybody Loves Each Other' Tour" just wouldn't have the right edge to it. I thought it would be cool to acknowledge the angst that has existed or maybe still does.

Anyway... not the topic. Just sayin'... can't we feel more free to post things like that without wondering if said "vultures" are gonna shut it down? Isn't that the point of such a website?

I appreciate the support guys, cause I often question whether my thinking is totally ludicrous and outside the popular opinion around here or what.

Favorite VH Album

Everything but III
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

i think you're probably reading too much into this. Onefoot was a little quick closing that (in my opinion) but he probably just wanted to close up what he figured would be a shitstorm. I don't think there's anything personal about it. I don't think it was aimed at you but rather aimed at the topic.

As for your video thread, if memory serves the thread wasn't closed because of the video but because of a scrap between Doin Time and some others.
    Okay, now we're getting somewhere. So it's about avoiding heated arguments? Okay - I can almost see that making sense. But, honestly, what's wrong with people scarppin' around a little? When I got into it with a few people, I just left.

And as for this one today, how would it start a shit-storm? I was advocating how cool it would be to have them all on a tour bill together! Ya know what I mean? How is that controversial or "off limits"? Doesn't it seem like closing it was more more like a power-grab than a preemptive shit-storm evasion??

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

i think referring to the mods as vultures won't help in your campaign any. just a thought.

Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

TIE! Humans Being and HAIL
    Last Online

09.07.17 @ 09:37 PM
    Liked 90 Times in 37 Posts

Even the most innocent thread here can dissolve into a shit storm. Onefoot was pre-empting the inevitable IMO.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Okay, now we're getting somewhere. So it's about avoiding heated arguments? Okay - I can almost see that making sense. But, honestly, what's wrong with people scarppin' around a little? When I got into it with a few people, I just left.

And as for this one today, how would it start a shit-storm? I was advocating how cool it would be to have them all on a tour bill together! Ya know what I mean? How is that controversial or "off limits"? Doesn't it seem like closing it was more more like a power-grab than a preemptive shit-storm evasion??
    nobody wants to read thread after thread of people telling each other off. It just doesn't make for a enjoyable place to hang out.

As for today's thread, I'm thinking a pm to onefoot asking why would have been a nice idea. I've had a dozen people send me similar pm's asking why i was so quick to close their thread. Some are cool about it and some are dickheads. The ones who are cool often get me to change my mind and i reopen it. The ones who are dickheads are told off.

Good Enough ED'S A 20THCENTURY MOZART's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Like em all. even III. ;}
    Favorite VH Song

A Lot!
    Last Online

09.08.16 @ 05:36 PM
    Liked 116 Times in 66 Posts

i think referring to the mods as vultures won't help in your campaign any. just a thought.
    i just meant those who derail or argue just for the sake of it ruining threads. not just the mods..
    I DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' CLICK!

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by ED'S A 20THCENTURY MOZART View Post
    i just meant those who derail or argue just for the sake of it ruining threads. not just the mods..
    got it

Favorite VH Album

Have a soft spot for F*U*C*K
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

08.25.17 @ 05:45 PM
    Liked 30 Times in 11 Posts

Donor

Dude, when you've seen Main in pre-VH activity and during VH activity, and the influx of people who all want to say the same thing in their own personal threads and the topic is the same over and over, and the usual arguments starting over and over, you begin to see the mess Main can become and the work and reading over and over the same stuff the (volunteer) mods have to do, you get when they can see potential shit storms before most of us can. (wow.. that's a long assed sentence!!)

Anyhoos, in the years of seeing the general patterns of the way threads can go, I can see why the Main mods especially, try to keep things as streamlined as possible. Dont take it personal. It's really not. Remember different mods work the different forums in their own way and using their experience of how that forum generally flows.

To be honest, modding in Main is a job I dont envy. And the ones we have now are pretty easy going... you should have been here when we had Glenn..

He kicked Main's ass!!
    ****Texas - Home Of My Heart****

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]