Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

the one Ed plays guitar on
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 08:08 PM
    Liked 784 Times in 422 Posts

Default Thoughts/opinions/input on my next amp...

I'm looking to buy a new amp in the next couple months and I figured I'd give all of our Guitar Room gurus the opportunity to chime in with any suggestions, input, and/or feedback.

Here's what I'm looking for:

Under $1000
    25-100 watt tube amp
    A range of tones/sounds - no one-trick ponies
    Relatively easy to dial in
    Needs to be a dependable, trustworthy workhorse

That's the quick and dirty, guys. Thoughts?

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Last Online

08.07.17 @ 08:14 PM
    Liked 313 Times in 149 Posts

Donor

I would look for maybe a used Marshall JCM2000 either Dual Super Lead or Triple Super Lead combo... You should be able to find something for under a grand... Without knowing your style of music, this should be a good place to start...
    Jet City Super Stealth
    Marshall 50th Anniversary JCM-1H and Class 5 Combo
    Austin Speaker Works KTS-60

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

I didn't want to start the thread off with a novel, so here's a little more backstory:

Gear I'm using now - PRS CE 24 / EBMM Axis / Homemade EBMM EVH clone through a Line 6 Flextone III amp.

I love my Flex III. It's hugely...well, flexible...for everything our band covers (anything from Hendrix/Cream to CVH/ZZ Top to STP/AIC to modern stuff), but it's still just a little too sterile-sounding to me.

Ultimately, I'm looking for a versatile and dependable tube amp that is under $1000 when I don't feel like playing through my Flex III.

Living in Lincoln, NE, I don't have the opportunity to test-drive everything under the sun. I do have a Guitar Center in town (but Lincoln is considered a third-tier market), and the guys said they'd bring in anything I'm interested in if they don't have it (and they DON'T have quite a lot). But, I don't want them to have to bring in 10 different amps for me to check out. On top of that, I really DON'T have all that much free time to spend trying out a bunch of different amps.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

After some web research this last week, here are a couple three amps that I'm sorta intrigued by:

Peavey 3120 - (kind of the 6505+'s "little brother", but with more versatility?)

Jet City JCA50H - (Soldano-based amp...I DO like Ed's FUCK tones. But I know NOTHING about these amps)

Mesa Mini-rectifer - (supposedly easier to dial in than the Duals/Triples, and I am a sucker for that Mesa sound)

Anyone have any experience/opinions on any of these three?

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Check out the Peavey Classic 30. I play every used one that comes into the music store I teach at and am so impressed with them. A couple of years ago I was in the market for a 30 watt amp and ended up buying a Laney LC30-II. It's a phenomenal amp, yes; but every time I play a Classic 30 I wish I'd bought one instead. (And the Classic 30 would have cost a few hundred less!)

My Laney:

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by fast98dodge View Post
    I would look for maybe a used Marshall JCM2000 either Dual Super Lead or Triple Super Lead combo... You should be able to find something for under a grand... Without knowing your style of music, this should be a good place to start...

Yeah, Dodge, ultimately you're probably right.

I was kinda hoping to find something other than a Marshall, simply because just about everyone around this neck of the woods plays them.

Then again, the flip side is everyone plays a Marshall BECAUSE they are dependable, versatile, and relatively affordable.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Peavey 3120 - (kind of the 6505+'s "little brother", but with more versatility?)
    VERY impressive amp. Very versatile. Wouldn't call it a 6505+ little brother though -- definitely got its own unique thing going on. The crunch channel is awesome, and you can use either 6L6 or EL34 power tubes, which will give you 2 different and distinct tones to choose from. But even once you decide on which style power tubes you like best, the 3 preamp channels give you a TON of variety. I played one of the first ones right when they came out. I was surprised at how good it sounded at relatively low volumes. It's on my short list of amps to add to my studio collection. (I have a modded original 5150, an SLO100 clone, and the 11Rack. My next amp will be a Marshall Superlead Clone, and then I will start looking to get a 3120 or maybe a Mesa Mark 4 after that... that's how impressed I was by the amp!)

Jet City JCA50H
    This is a SLO100 little brother. It is designed by Soldano, and inspired by the high end SLO 100, but it's imported from China to keep the cost way down. The company seems to be really cool -- their product offerings are starting to really expand, and they are hitting a price point for people who want something similar to an SLO100, but can't justify spending upwards of $4000 on a single amp. A friend of mine bought one of these, and he really likes the tone.

Unfortunately, he's had some issues with quality control, and his amp failed within a few months of being new, and he's currently in the processes of sending it in to be fixed (and this guy isn't a dummy -- he's an electrical engineering student, and with my help, he checked over the guts of the amp to see if a simple connection had slipped loose. Nothing simple had come loose at all, so that means likely either poor soldering joints failed, cheap components failed somewhere in the preamp, or a transformer failed.)

I've heard of this type of thing happening with other JCA amps (as well as pretty much any 'budget' imported amp.) So quality control is definitely something to consider.

Mesa Mini-rectifer
    Never played one, so I don't have an opinion on it at all. I do have an opinion about Mesas though... I REALLY like the company from what I've seen so far. (They seem kinda like Peavey, which I really like). And this is completely IMHO: I think the Mark series amps absolutely destroy the Rectifier series sound wise. But I know people who swear by their dual rectifiers. YMMV.
    Last edited by mrjstudios; 03.09.12 at 03:13 PM.

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

There's just too many
    Last Online

10.26.15 @ 12:38 PM
    Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts

I've had my Blackstar HT-100 for just over a year now and I am damn proud of it. Pretty versatile, IMO. The ISF knob can really change things up on the tone and is great to experiment with. Clean is very clean, no hint of distortion. Channel 1 OD lets me generally get a great 60's/70's rock tone a la Jimmy Page, Paul Kossoff, Billy Gibbons, etc. Channel 2 OD is what I mainly use. It's part of my original sound, but it's also what I pretty much use for my VH/Dokken songs. Granted, I don't ever try to sound exactly like one person, but this amp will definetely get you in the ballpark at least. It's great with pedals as well, which is a big plus for me because my Crunch Box takes the amp to a whole other level.

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 724 Times in 341 Posts

I've used many different amps over the years. I've had Marshall, Mesa, Budda, Blackstar, Peavey, Fender, and I've played through Top Hat, Germino, Straub, Bogner and Splawn.

From the description you gave, I would also recommend anything from the Peavey Classic series line of amps. I've owned a couple Classic 30s, and they never let me down. Currently, I have a Classic 50 410. I love the tone I get through the 4x10 speakers. Much better than the Classic 50 with the 2x12s. The amp is very versitile, and the tone is outstanding. The amp isn't high gain, but you can get tremendous high gain sound with the addition of an overdrive pedal out front.

Best amp you can own for the money.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Favorite VH Album

The new one, Hopefully!
    Favorite VH Song

Impossible
    Last Online

04.18.17 @ 03:53 PM
    Liked 102 Times in 54 Posts

Buy an old Peavey Bravo 112, put the chassis in a rack mount and spend the rest on a nice 4/12 cab fitted with the speaker of your choice and you can never go wrong with vintaage 30's.

The Bravo is great through it's one 12 inch speaker, but is brought up to boutique quality through a 412 cab.
    It's the most versatile amp I've ever played and it's a tube amp at 25 watts.

You can get them for $200 and up.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

II, FW, OU812, club days
    Favorite VH Song

Cabo Wabo, Hear About it Later
    Last Online

08.08.15 @ 09:37 PM
    Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

I bought a Peavey Valveking 112 about a year ago and I'm really happy with it.

Costs $400 new

Really has 3 channels (clean, dirty, dirty with boost) although technically it has 2.

50 watts all tube - loud as hell

Gets nice VH tones...basically a Marshall-type sound in my opinion

It's just a good all-around rock amp in my opinion!

-----------

also, someone mentioned the Classic 30...those are really nice amps too, however they are more fender-style (better for cleaner stuff, not really for VH type tones)
    Any musicians near Boston / Cape Cod want to get together and play some VH? I play drums, guitar, keyboard, bass, and I sing. I want to start a VH tribute band. Contact me if interested.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Do you already have a speaker cab?
    If so, try finding a Diezel VH4 head (may be a long shot for under $1000, but anything is possible in todays economy!). I've had one for a couple of years now, and I have to say, hands down, it's the best amp on the market. 4 completely indipendant preamps and 4 channels make it perhaps the most flexable tube amp on the market. It will go from super clean to ultra mega raining death, fire brimstone and everything in between. It even sounds great at bedroom levels. Looks funky too...

http://www.diezel.ch/en/products/vh4.php
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by tommywho5150 View Post
    Do you already have a speaker cab?
    Yes, I do have a 4x12 cab...

Quote Originally Posted by Things Change View Post
    Buy an old Peavey Bravo 112, put the chassis in a rack mount and spend the rest on a nice 4/12 cab fitted with the speaker of your choice and you can never go wrong with vintaage 30's.
    ...and yes, it's already been refitted with greenbacks.

Ironically, that is half the reason I'm looking for a new amp these days. A couple years ago I was able to pick up a Crate V100H half-stack for $250 (actually, I had a thread up about it at the time). It was just too rediculous of a value to pass up. And, because the half-stack was SO inexpensive, I was able to sink a little money into upgrading the cab.

And it was actually a great amp. It had a really nice clean channel and it was VERY transparent. It took my pedalboard really well and I loved how each of my regular guitars had a distinct voice.

However, after one particular 4 set night, I came to find out that Crate had a real problem with their power supplies for that line of amps. So much so that they decided to discontinue the line AND any/all related parts.

So, now I have a HUGE paperweight, unless anyone has some ideas that I can transform an actual amp head into.

...and TC, I actually laughed out loud when I read your post. I'm all about bastardizing inexpensive gear to make it sound good, but I NEVER would have thought about ripping apart a Bravo 112.

It's starting to look like a few Peaveys are gonna get test-driven in the next couple of weeks...

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hubs View Post
    Yes, I do have a 4x12 cab...

...and yes, it's already been refitted with greenbacks.

Ironically, that is half the reason I'm looking for a new amp these days. A couple years ago I was able to pick up a Crate V100H half-stack for $250 (actually, I had a thread up about it at the time). It was just too rediculous of a value to pass up. And, because the half-stack was SO inexpensive, I was able to sink a little money into upgrading the cab.

And it was actually a great amp. It had a really nice clean channel and it was VERY transparent. It took my pedalboard really well and I loved how each of my regular guitars had a distinct voice.

However, after one particular 4 set night, I came to find out that Crate had a real problem with their power supplies for that line of amps. So much so that they decided to discontinue the line AND any/all related parts.

So, now I have a HUGE paperweight, unless anyone has some ideas that I can transform an actual amp head into.

...and TC, I actually laughed out loud when I read your post. I'm all about bastardizing inexpensive gear to make it sound good, but I NEVER would have thought about ripping apart a Bravo 112.

It's starting to look like a few Peaveys are gonna get test-driven in the next couple of weeks...

Definitely try some Peaveys -- the classic line and the 3120... really, anything with tubes in it from them! I think you'll really dig at least some of them. The other thing with Peavey is the great customer service, and pretty much everything they build is bulletproof. Making a combo into a rack unit is a relatively easy job, and it instantly makes your amp extremely more convenient.

If you wanna offload your Crate amp head, send me a PM... I'm looking for a cheap 'scrap' chassis and head case to build a custom amp project into...

Let us know what you decide on!
    Last edited by mrjstudios; 03.10.12 at 11:48 PM.

Top Of The World cpusolutions2001's Avatar
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 12:44 PM
    Liked 16 Times in 5 Posts

I have a Fender HotRod Deluxe. Loud with a nice growl. I love the clean channel and the OD is nice. Check it out...