Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

VHI
    Favorite VH Song

Runnin' with the Devil
    Last Online

03.08.12 @ 02:53 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Crowd chanting USA called racists.

I was just watching the news and some people started chanting USA at a high school basketball game where one team was predominantly white and the members of the other team were mainly minorities according to the reporter. A school district spokesman was saying how disturbed she was and the kids involved were banned from attending some other game.
    I don't get it.
    Last edited by cadaverdog; 03.07.12 at 10:51 PM.

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 02:13 PM
    Liked 3,116 Times in 1,827 Posts

Premium Member

The other team wasn't just predominantly minority, it was predominantly Latino.

I think it's pretty obvious that USA chants don't usually break out when your high school basketball team beats the high school across town.

I'm the first person to question racial accusations, but this one seems likely to me.

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

VHI
    Favorite VH Song

Runnin' with the Devil
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

They weren't screaming Whitey whitey. The USA isn't a race it's a country. It was also reported by a different source the other teams fans screamed beat the Alamo whites before the game even started.

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

VHI
    Favorite VH Song

Runnin' with the Devil
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Maybe I'm biased because as a white male heterosexual American I'm tired of being called a bigot or a racist about everything. That I should somehow be ashamed. You can't be proud of being any of those things nowdays.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 03:13 PM
    Liked 18,157 Times in 8,973 Posts

Maybe, just maybe, it isn't racism. Again, just maybe, before rushing to play the race card, the people might be upset that a bunch of illegal fucking aliens are getting to go to high school in our country without paying a fucking dime in taxes. Maybe they were being racist, but somehow I think they would have come up with another chant if that was the case.

I don't care if one team is full of Chinese Americans, as long as they are here legally.

If anything happens to a group that isn't white, male, and hetersosexual, the first thought is that is must be some of discrimination or some form of "ism".

I am getting sick and fucking tired of it too. Only in America can students be disciplined for chanting "USA, USA".

I hope the district spokesperson does not go to the next Olympics hosted in the US, he or she might have a coronary.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Constantly Changes
    Last Online

05.23.17 @ 01:16 PM
    Liked 200 Times in 123 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cadaverdog View Post
    I was just watching the news and some people started chanting USA at a high school basketball game where one team was predominantly white and the members of the other team were mainly minorities according to the reporter. A school district spokesman was saying how disturbed she was and the kids involved were banned from attending some other game.
    I don't get it.
    It was Alamo Heights High School, (a school in a wealthier part of town) verses Edison High School (a school in a poverty stricken part of San Antonio, student body mostly Latino, with English as a 2nd language)

It was a real shitty thing to do, and it wasn't patriotic by any stretch of the word"
    "Always hopeful, yet discontent,
    He knows changes aren't permanent
    But change is!"

Last Online

03.25.16 @ 11:37 AM
    Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

Who won?

Favorite VH Album

Too hard to choose
    Favorite VH Song

Too hard to choose
    Last Online

06.02.16 @ 09:13 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wombattt View Post
    It was Alamo Heights High School, (a school in a wealthier part of town) verses Edison High School (a school in a poverty stricken part of San Antonio, student body mostly Latino, with English as a 2nd language)

It was a real shitty thing to do, and it wasn't patriotic by any stretch of the word"
    Too bad.

I had to move out of the city of new orleans specifically because of the actions, attitudes, and crime committed by a significant number of minorities who have in effect destroyed a once wonderful area. So, yes, we should all strive not to be ugly, but at this point I'm waiting for my apology from this paticular group for the wrongs they've done. Then, maybe we can get on that road to understanding and unity. They have gotten a pass way too many times for their ills n it's getting way old.

Favorite VH Album

Too hard to choose
    Favorite VH Song

Too hard to choose
    Last Online

06.02.16 @ 09:13 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    Maybe, just maybe, it isn't racism. Again, just maybe, before rushing to play the race card, the people might be upset that a bunch of illegal fucking aliens are getting to go to high school in our country without paying a fucking dime in taxes. Maybe they were being racist, but somehow I think they would have come up with another chant if that was the case.

I don't care if one team is full of Chinese Americans, as long as they are here legally.

If anything happens to a group that isn't white, male, and hetersosexual, the first thought is that is must be some of discrimination or some form of "ism".

I am getting sick and fucking tired of it too. Only in America can students be disciplined for chanting "USA, USA".

I hope the district spokesperson does not go to the next Olympics hosted in the US, he or she might have a coronary.
    Pretty much agree. Well said. Who knows, maybe it was said to be hurtful or ugly, or maybe it could have been done in retaliation for something the other team or their fans did. To believe that minority groups are immune or above slinging racial, social slurs and intimidation, Laughable! I grew up in what became the hood, saw it first hand. The press just does not usually find that part of the story worthy.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

A Different Kind of Truth
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

01.13.16 @ 05:43 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I feel bad for the kids on both teams. They probably enjoy basketball and never meant to be symbols for high school basketball fans with a political agenda.
    Staying Frosty

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

VHI
    Favorite VH Song

Runnin' with the Devil
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pal1800 View Post
    Pretty much agree. Well said. Who knows, maybe it was said to be hurtful or ugly, or maybe it could have been done in retaliation for something the other team or their fans did. To believe that minority groups are immune or above slinging racial, social slurs and intimidation, Laughable! I grew up in what became the hood, saw it first hand. The press just does not usually find that part of the story worthy.
    Well I didn't see it myself but supposedly one San Antonio paper printed another story claiming the other teams fans were chanting "beat the Alamo whites" before the game.
    When I was in high school I lived in a predominently white city. We played a game in at another high school that was predominantly hispanic. We were winning at half time and their fans started throwing beer bottles , beer cans , soda cans whatever they could find as we walked towards the locker room. And there were plenty of people screaming "fucking patties". A popular name for white folks at the time. WE ended up grabbing our stuff and leaving without finishing the game. Who knows what they might have done if we would have come back and won the game.

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 10:41 PM
    Liked 209 Times in 124 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post

Why should we assume that just because the school is predominently latino that the players, or the student body for that matter, are illegal?.....

It's fairly obvious why the students were chanting.....I don't know if it's racist....but it's ignorant, no doubt

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

VHI
    Favorite VH Song

Runnin' with the Devil
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It was done with intent to piss the other team off. No doubt. Was it a payback? Maybe. Racist?

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 10:41 PM
    Liked 209 Times in 124 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by cadaverdog View Post
    It was done with intent to piss the other team off. No doubt. Was it a payback? Maybe. Racist?
    Payback for what?....taking up all the dishwasing jobs in San Antonio?

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

VHI
    Favorite VH Song

Runnin' with the Devil
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by steve mcqueen View Post
    Payback for what?....taking up all the dishwasing jobs in San Antonio?
    Don't forget landscaping and gardening and fast food and car washing and whatever jobs that Americans supposedly won't do. Jobs I did when I was younger that seem off limits to non hispanics nowdays.
    No payback for the aforementioned "Beat Whitey" chants that were supposedly made by the other teams fans before the game.