Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

07.17.17 @ 03:12 PM
    Liked 77 Times in 30 Posts

Default "The Mighty" WMMR post-Philly Show Coverage

Anyone catch the WMMR post-show coverage of the Van Halen show? It was abysmal. It was like they hadn't even been at the same show. I've seen a bunch of the footage, but this ended up being my first show of the tour, and it looks like the band is totally in the groove, all systems go. The technical troubles were non-existent, likely because of the newly hired techs, and Dave's voice was ON. Setlist was sick.

But listening to Pierre Robert and Matt Cord spouting off was such a downer. They knocked so much of the show, to the point of Dave talking about his dogs before ICM. It was ridiculous.

This, after the bullshit "countdown" of the Top 50 VH songs proves that terrestrial radio is the biggest steaming pile that will never get it.

Eruption
    Last Online

01.25.17 @ 04:18 AM
    Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts

I don't know these guys, but anyone knocking these shows is a complete fool. With tools like that, no wonder rock radio is dead.
    11-13-2007 MSG NY, NY
    12-28-2007 MGM Grand Las Vegas, Nevada
    12-30-2007 MGM Grand Las Vegas, Nevada
    5-13-2008 IZOD Arena East Rutherford , NJ
    5-23-2008 MSG NY, NY
    5-28-2008 Verizon Manchester, NH
    2-28-2012 MSG NY, NY
    3-01-2012 MSG NY, NY

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 02:20 PM
    Liked 6,813 Times in 3,562 Posts

Premium Member

This thread is pointless without audio or video.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street/Unchained
    Last Online

11.06.14 @ 04:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What were these DJ's "knocking"? Let me guess they were expecting a replica of a early 80's Van Halen concert with all the pyro and Dave with long hair and assless chaps? Some of the expectations some "fans" and "critics" have with Van Halen these days are a little crazy.
    Last edited by Legend of Roth; 03.06.12 at 04:56 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

07.17.17 @ 03:12 PM
    Liked 77 Times in 30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Legend of Roth View Post
    What were these DJ's "knocking"? Let me guess they were expecting a replica of a early 80's Van Halen concert with all the pyro and Dave with long hair and assless chaps? Some of the expectations some "fans" and "critics" have with Van Halen these days are a little crazy.
    You're pretty much spot on. It was absolutely infuriating. They were bemoaning the fact that Dave wasn't even making an attempt at the acrobatics of days past. Crying about Michael Anthony not being in the band. Etc., etc.

Honestly, and this is from an insider's point of view, there are a bunch of critics and especially radio people resenting the fact that they are not getting any interview access to the band. That very well could be why whatever station in Texas was refusing to play anything off ADKOT. It also may be why some of the show reviews have been throwing some low-blows.

Put it this way, when you see a good, almost all positive review of ADKOT or the tour itself, that's coming from a VH fan. When there are backhanded compliments, it's from a critic or DJ who would look like a complete jackass in being overtly critical of something that is so obviously firing on all cylinders.

Last night was just an example of shortsighted DJs who sounded embittered by the fact that no one from VH would talk to them.

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:39 PM
    Liked 1,935 Times in 784 Posts

Premium Member

I dont blame the band for not doing any press. All these radio dj's and other media members are gonna do is try to create controversy between the band and chicken foot ala Sammy.

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

10.01.15 @ 06:45 PM
    Liked 179 Times in 57 Posts

Ya we heard some of it. They gave the show like a C+ if I recall?

Pierre Robert

Has always been a supporter of VH and Dave as well. I was surprised he was commenting on the things he was. These guys are near 60 you really expect the lions main, banshee screams of a 20 yo and jumping off drum risers?

Pierre always struck me as a ok dude...he's a little more hippy Deadhead than rocker but he supports and shows enthusiasm for a wide assortment of stuff.

I didn't catch who the other DJ was. We heard some callers phone in. One woman took her son, loved the show said how her son started playing guitar because of Ed so she took him to the show. The Dj's were like...yeah see that is what its all about..great...let her off the phone and then went on to say basically...meh. lol

We had a awesome time. I think it was a great show! We turned the radio off for a while and put on ADKOT...then switched over again and classic VH was playing EWS.

Different strokes I guess
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street/Unchained
    Last Online

11.06.14 @ 04:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by M.C. View Post
    Honestly, and this is from an insider's point of view, there are a bunch of critics and especially radio people resenting the fact that they are not getting any interview access to the band. That very well could be why whatever station in Texas was refusing to play anything off ADKOT. It also may be why some of the show reviews have been throwing some low-blows.

Put it this way, when you see a good, almost all positive review of ADKOT or the tour itself, that's coming from a VH fan. When there are backhanded compliments, it's from a critic or DJ who would look like a complete jackass in being overtly critical of something that is so obviously firing on all cylinders.

Last night was just an example of shortsighted DJs who sounded embittered by the fact that no one from VH would talk to them.
    I think this is happening in many places. Some of these stations think the band owes them something and if they don't get what they want they will dog them or refuse to play the new tunes. I used to live in Kansas City and the rock radio station there 98.9 The Rock seems to be ignoring Van Halen all together right now. I have been listening to them online here lately to see what kind of promotion they are doing for the VH concert in KC or if they are playing the new songs. I hear nothing Van Halen on the station anymore. Which is unusual because not too long ago they played a ton of Van Halen. Now granted they have changed their format a little to more "modern rock" but they still play Metallica, Guns and Roses, AC/DC, ect. so Van Halen could still fit on their format. I kind of wonder if they have asked for some perks/interviews in advance and were told no. It will be interesting to see the week of the concert what they do.

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 02:20 PM
    Liked 6,813 Times in 3,562 Posts

Premium Member

Van Halen won't give the time of day to one of these corporate media research automated vultures. Bummer.

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

this isnt surprising i ve lived right by philly all my life...pierre robert has always been known as the huge grateful dead fan dj and hippie since the early 80s when he came to philadelphia....he used to broadcast at the dead shows when they played the spectrum and did the new years broadcasts.

im surprised they sent him to a van halen show.
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

1love4chi

Deftones , now and forever and only second to VH.

Dave or Sammy ?.........pffffft Eddie.

Pope Of Greenwich Village SuckaInA3Piece's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

08.28.17 @ 03:27 PM
    Liked 98 Times in 54 Posts

Donor

I've never heard Pierre say anything but glowing things about VH in the past. This is surprising to me. There was such a positive vibe in that place Monday night. Too bad they missed out on the party.
    "It's always a Catch-22 situation. They hate you if you're the same, and they hate you if you're different."
    ~Eddie Van Halen~

"The perfect woman has an IQ of 150, wants to make love until 4 in the morning, and then turns into a pizza."
    ~David Lee Roth~

Sucka'sFacebook

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.08.17 @ 02:16 PM
    Liked 2,206 Times in 1,111 Posts

Premium Member

Music is like politics: Everyone's personal opinion is the only "correct" one.

If someone thinks the current incarnation of VH sucks and the concert they saw was terrible, then that tells me all I need to know about them: I don't need to value their opinion ever again.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

04.28.12 @ 09:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 12:36 PM
    Liked 198 Times in 123 Posts

Premium Member

Interesting article. Just guessing, but I wonder if some of Dave's goofiness on stage is what was throwing off that Robert guy.

After me and my buddy went to the first VH show at MSG last week, my friend was commenting on the car ride home how Dave is "a little bit out there" -- I think he meant in a sort of strange Las Vegasy kind of way. I think it might have jarred him a little.

Not me though. I love everything about Dave, even with all of his quirks!
    "We decided to do everything you'd expect, but make it high speed, low drag."
    -- DLR (8-13-07)

Good Enough ED'S A 20THCENTURY MOZART's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Like em all. even III. ;}
    Favorite VH Song

A Lot!
    Last Online

09.08.16 @ 05:36 PM
    Liked 116 Times in 66 Posts

The one dj they are talking about is a Pearl Jam guy. Pierre is a dead head. Pierre always slams VH. Especially eddie and his abuse problems. But never commends ed on his recovery. Both are hypocrits. Im boycotting the station.

I respect them for being around 40+ years as a station..but they are biased in their programming.

That concert was nothing short of EPIC. Of course they can have their opinion....but they are crazy if they think it wasnt a good show. It was an awesome show!

I agree with a poster who stated before that rock stations are being this way because they are not granted interviews. Believe you me, if VH gave them an interview, Pierre would kiss their ass big time.
    I DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' CLICK!