Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:34 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

Premium Member

Default 03.05.12: Van Halen @ Wells Fargo Center - Philadelphia, - REVIEWS & SET LIST!

Here's the review thread for the Philadelphia show on 03.05.12.

Please note, unless you went to the show you shouldn't be posting a review. Please let's try to keep these clean by just having reviews in them.

For banter about the show, use the UPDATE & DISCUSSION thread for that.

Thanks!

SET LIST (complete)
    Unchained
    Runnin' With The Devil
    She's The Woman
    The Full Bug
    Tattoo
    Everybody Wants Some!!
    Somebody Get Me A Doctor
    China Town
    Hear About It Later
    (Oh!) Pretty Woman
    Drum Solo
    You Really Got Me
    The Trouble With Never
    Dance The Night Away
    I'll Wait
    Hot For Teacher
    Women In Love
    Girl Gone Bad
    Beautiful Girls
    Ice Cream Man
    Panama
    EVH Solo
    Ain't Talkin' Bout Love
    Jump
    Last edited by Scotty; 03.05.12 at 07:43 PM.
    A little zen....... Headed your way.......

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

04.17.12 @ 11:29 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Is the opening act back tonight? Or are they going without one for a few shows.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained..
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 06:30 AM
    Liked 367 Times in 134 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dudeman2013 View Post
    Yes.

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 04:19 PM
    Liked 6,825 Times in 3,568 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Goo View Post
    Here's the review thread for the Philadelphia show on 03.05.12.

Please note, unless you went to the show you shouldn't be posting a review. Please let's try to keep these clean by just having reviews in them.

For banter about the show, use the UPDATE & DISCUSSION thread for that.

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by dudeman2013 View Post

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

04.17.12 @ 11:29 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ah, Fucking Hell! My bad. See you in the update/discussion thread.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

FW
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

06.18.17 @ 12:32 PM
    Liked 25 Times in 7 Posts

Looks like HAIL is now permanent part of the set list, hope it stays that way until Kansas City in May!

Favorite VH Album

All 14 of 'em (best ofs too)
    Favorite VH Song

I'll Wait / Feelin'
    Last Online

12.02.17 @ 12:58 PM
    Liked 19 Times in 6 Posts

They were saying that the band whipped out Bottoms Up today at the rehearsals... One can hope.
    "I didn't just drive a thousand goddamn miles on a motorcycle to watch some little girl prance around on stage" - Steve Morrison on if Justin Bieber performed at Sturgis Motorcycle Rally

-"I'd rather stick my junk into a freshly-slapped hornet's nest." LLFHS on banging Lindsay Lohan

Poster formerly known as Fiftyoneftfty

Romeo Delight Van Halen II Please's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

VH,VH2, WACF, FW
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it Later
    Last Online

03.07.13 @ 01:40 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

THE FULL BUG!!!??? No shit....?
    "The new Van Halen album is a miracle from the baby Jesus" - Me

"This next part should really confuse things...everybody, let's stay focused" -DLR "As Is"

"...excitement that comes from a muscle car rhythm section led by a six-string wizard and a singing sexual megalodon with an ego that made Kanye look like a kid flaunting his new Spider-Man underoos – and the pipes to back up the strut." -Johnny Firecloud

Still cracks my ass up: http://www.myspace.com/video/marvin-...arody/18571738

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

11.28.15 @ 09:24 AM
    Liked 28 Times in 16 Posts

Are they sticking to the 8:50 start time still?

Pope Of Greenwich Village SuckaInA3Piece's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

08.28.17 @ 03:27 PM
    Liked 98 Times in 54 Posts

Donor

What a day! What a great day! Tonight was my 5th VH concert, and I've never heard them sound so sharp musically. I'm a big fan of the CVH lineup, and am a huge Mike Anthony fan, but Wolfgang brought it tonight. He flat out rocked the joint, along with his pop and uncle. I've seen Dave a total of eight times including tonight, and he also brought his best game to Philadelphia.

Guess I'm one of the few that actually enjoys DLR's voice. Didn't think he was rough at all tonight, and that includes his new melody for DTNA. What I respect the most about the man is his work ethic. Back when I'd catch him with what was basically a VH tribute act in front of small audiences, he'd always treat us like we were a packed house. That enthusiasm has not been lost over the years, and I can't speak enough about the showmanship of Diamond Dave. He may be the weakest link up there on a nightly basis, but you wouldn't know it from his efforts to put on the best show possible. Great job tonight by DLR.

Alex is a rock. Period. One of the best musicians I've ever seen live. Clearly the man is not to be fucked with.

As for Edward. Man, where the hell has this EVH been? The highlight of the night for me was Hot For Teacher. Ed totally ripped it up. Don't think he hit one bum note during that one, which is impressive considering the furious pace Al set from the start. Ed played some killer looking guitars tonight, but stuck mainly with the Stealth guitar. Good tone, but I thought he was lost in the mix a bit early on in the show. His sound stood out more as the night went along, and the man put on a clinic in front of a packed house.

Highlights:

The Full Bug. Talk about watching history go down. This one was incredible tonight. Really got things swinging early on.

Hear About It Later. Wow..I've watched that Oakland '81 video so many times over the years. I never thought I'd ever hear VH play this song live, but tonight was my night.

Hot For Teacher. Probably the best song of the night, along with Panama. I'll be anxious to see a video clip of it, but from my seats they sounded great on HFT. Alex set the pace and then they were off.

Unchained. What a fucking opener!!!! Nuff said.

Lowlights:
    To be honest, I don't have any. I wish they'd ditch some tunes that I just don't care to hear anymore, but the chicks still get up and dance for Pretty Woman and I'll Wait. DTNA is another song I've heard too many times, but the crowd really got into it from the start. No Romeo Delight was a bummer, but I got Women In Love, HAIL, The Full Bug and Girl Gone Bad. Not to mention a wonderful solo spot from AVH and EVH. Musicianship at it's best.

Anyway, I'm tired. Started not get tickets to this show but I'm so glad I went. These guys are back with something to prove. We should all be proud.

Roth n Roll..
    "It's always a Catch-22 situation. They hate you if you're the same, and they hate you if you're different."
    ~Eddie Van Halen~

"The perfect woman has an IQ of 150, wants to make love until 4 in the morning, and then turns into a pizza."
    ~David Lee Roth~

Sucka'sFacebook

Good Enough ED'S A 20THCENTURY MOZART's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Like em all. even III. ;}
    Favorite VH Song

A Lot!
    Last Online

09.08.16 @ 05:36 PM
    Liked 116 Times in 66 Posts

Pardon my english....but Fuckin Awesome.. Im half drunk. More tomorrow.

Eddie....nuff said. Best ever. Hands down. Wow.. I'll gather my thoughts. More later.

FULL BUG HAIL GGB yes.
    I DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' CLICK!

Favorite VH Album

All of 'em-all eras.
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

09.04.15 @ 04:51 PM
    Liked 36 Times in 15 Posts

Just got home....i'll post a review at some point tomorrow or so...but....

Oh My Friggin' God were they on fire!!

Real quick:

-Dave sounded great, IMO.
    -Wolf was solid as hell on bass and BV.
    -Alex was his usual badass self.
    -Eddie....well, Ed was just tearing the joint up with that guitar tonight. His playing was as on as he's ever been, IMO. I'll get into more later....gotta hit the sack!

SEE THIS TOUR!!!!
    SIMPLY SAID....GOD IS ED!!!!

Good Enough ED'S A 20THCENTURY MOZART's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Like em all. even III. ;}
    Favorite VH Song

A Lot!
    Last Online

09.08.16 @ 05:36 PM
    Liked 116 Times in 66 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by topjimmy4vh View Post
    Just got home....i'll post a review at some point tomorrow or so...but....

Oh My Friggin' God were they on fire!!

Real quick:

-Dave sounded great, IMO.
    -Wolf was solid as hell on bass and BV.
    -Alex was his usual badass self.
    -Eddie....well, Ed was just tearing the joint up with that guitar tonight. His playing was as on as he's ever been, IMO. I'll get into more later....gotta hit the sack!

SEE THIS TOUR!!!!
    YES.
    I DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' CLICK!

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

10.01.15 @ 06:45 PM
    Liked 179 Times in 57 Posts

I'm losing my buzz, half asleep but still high on Van Halen.

We did VIP and I posted a review of that stuff in the vip thread.

Kool and the gang was fun. lol My wife and I love all types of music and love to have a good time and had a nice buzz so we enjoyed it.

So VH is just about to come on....lights go down...that magic moment when u know they are about to start...We had 3rd row seats...just between Dave(center stage) and Ed. We saw Al come on stage and get seated just b4 the lights went down...Unchained was first.

I texted the setlist to Scotty and was getting texts from Donkost and some other VH friends(not on the links). I took a lot of pics and filmed ICM and Ed's solo...not sure why ICM...just did what I could...not sure how they came out yet..my main thing was to just enjoy the show via my own eyes and ears and not a phone screen! haha

It is VERY different seeing them live. It's so easy to pick apart errors and discrepancies sitting at home looking at youtube vids.

Ed is fucking amazing!! he is on top of his fucking game. Smiles all night! My wife, cute as hell was all into it and Ed smiled and waved at her, and Dave pointed and smiled at her as well. That was awesome!! My wife Loves VH and loves Ed and Dave! Was fucking cool!

Ed's technique and professionalism is top notch in 2012. I've been a guitarist for 35 years and know the ins and outs of performing and the ins and outs of Ed's style intimately...He is on it...not off at all...he's technique is wonderful ...not just precision but with fury behind it.. Ed is inspired...in 07 it was a little sloppy sometimes clunky...his rhythm and professionalism was beautiful then as always (minus 04 i guess, eh?)but now he's on his game...I went to church tonight. Ed preached to me with his amazing guitar. Stunning! Dave held a sermon as well. Glorious night. VH is a fantastic band again!!!

The band was relentless. Dave was fun and intense. He sang DTNA high again lol (Hey Don! haha)but 3rd row amongst the blaring sound it all sounded fantastic to us.

We wore no ear plugs and shit, was loud but not THAT loud where our ears are hurt or ringing badly...I have no voice left though...was singing, shouting and partying hard. Was glorious.

Dave is a special dude...what a great talent. He ruled the night again...charismatic, funny, intense, kick ass, brilliant. Brings the best out of VH. Best front man in RnR ever and in 2012 he's bringing it big time!!

Al is a machine. His tightness with his bro is special and to see it 3rd row and see how well they lock in is just a beautiful thing. Was 3rd row in 07 too but Ed is on fire now...the band has gelled...it was amazing.

Wolfy was great! Stage presence and playing is way beyond what I saw in 07.
    He has a great voice, and good ear for harmonizing. Vocals all around from my perspective were perfect. Wolf is in command of his instrument too! Definitely a VH..loved seeing him jam with his Dad and uncle.

Loved it all. My favorites...WIl..I have loved that song since hearing it in my early teens...it sounds REALLY fucking good. Album perfect just about. Thrilled to see it live! I should have videoed it but I'm an idiot. lol

Another favorite of the night...Full bug!! Wow!! Sounded amazing!!
    also HAIL! and GGB!!!!! GREAT set list tonight!!! WHOO!

Maybe it was the Jack, close seats and good time but I have a great ear and nothing sounded bad to me. It was quite the opposite! They were awesome.

The ONLY complaint I have is it IS low drag...they play the songs rapid fire one after another and it's over so fast!!!

Only saw Ed toss out about 3 guitar pics...got none from him...tried to get the attention of the dudes on stage breaking down but they were about getting the fk outta there asap and the security guys weren't very accommodating. Dave did toss out a bunch of gold foiled VH chocolate coins and we got about 6 of those.

(Little advice on the merch...try shit on if you can. I'm 6 foot about 195 and large is my size....got the football jersey... Indian hoodie with lining..4 shirts or so and some other stuff(hat/keychain/etc)...large was too small...XL was perfect. Don't know why this is...large anywhere besides VH shows lol fit perfect. I have a authentic NFL football jersey but also some of those replicas ones. Authentic's are the real deal like 300 bucks ish...the replicas are the ones that are like 70 bucks and iron on decals instead of patches...they come in sizes or s,m, l , xl etc. My NFL replica jersey's in large are perfect...fit over a shirt with a little room to spare...tried on a VH football style jersey tonight in my size Large and it was skin tight. It's fked up. XL did it for everything lol just a heads up. Try shit on.)

Ok I guess I could say more but I've said enough for now. lol

Thank you Van Halen!! Awesome show! Philly loves VH and you always bring it hard here!!! Thank you for an amazing time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

One Foot Out the Door
    Last Online

03.03.16 @ 03:21 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by At0micPunk View Post
    I'm losing my buzz, half asleep but still high on Van Halen.

Ed is fucking amazing!! he is on top of his fucking game. Smiles all night! My wife, cute as hell was all into it and Ed smiled and waved at her, and Dave pointed and smiled at her as well. That was awesome!! My wife Loves VH and loves Ed and Dave! Was fucking cool!
    Get the hell out of here... I was right in front of you in row 2 to the right on the aisle. Right next to the family who had the kid.

You summed it up well. It was a great show. Vocals were spot on. Wolfie, was great tonight. He really does add something to the band. Alex was... well, playing as well as I have ever seen him play. Just incredible. David Lee was the great showman and did great interacting with the crowd and the band. Ed, is the man. Period. (yes, understatement of the year) Just incredible playing by him tonight. I truly can't express the words that I felt about half way through, as I kept looking at Ed to see him sober, smiling, having fun and playing his butt off. His playing is just amazing. Sitting in row 2 right in front of him gave me a great view of everything Ed tonight.

Dave didn't use the headset microphone. Ed played the Stealth and the Charvel's. I think those will pop up on that ebay website again like in '07. (Correct me if I am wrong on this) Wolfie, played three different striped bases. There might have been a fourth but I am drawing a blank because it is 3:15am.

Dave threw out some chocolate and I did get one of those and when they threw out picks, I got one of those too. I actually missed getting a 2nd one because I was still looking at the one I got in my hands. Damn it. Ha.

I enjoyed all of the songs they played tonight. Yes, there are some songs that I wish they would have played but hearing HAIL, The Full Bug, and Women in Love just was incredible. Just like others have said my only complaint is that the night has to end.

I did the VIP thing before hand and I will post in that forum about my experience. I drove up from D.C. to see the show as Philly is my hometown. My first ever VH show was in Philly during the '84 tour (seen them on every tour since) so I had to make the trek up and it was totally worth it. I will see them at least one more time (no VIP this time) down here in D.C. but it will be hard to top tonight.

Time to go to bed. If you are seeing the show soon, I hope your show is as fun as this one was tonight.

Oh, for those of you worried about Kool and the Gang, they were awesome to open. They put people in a good mood and get people up dancing. Nice call having them on the tour.
    BB