Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

07.14.12 @ 09:14 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Eddie at MSG review

Made it to Van Halen last night at MSG in NYC. Was wiped out from the cruise but had to see a full set after seeing the club show last month at Cafe Wha. The NYC scene was out in force to see the band for the first time since 2007 with DLR. I was really impressed in '07 and thought Roth sang better than ever on that tour. Let me explain something however; many younger fans did not see VH with Roth in the 70's and 80's, I did. He was always more a showman than a live singer, never close to the albums live. In 2007 he tried harder and I thought was in the best form he can be. The only thing I didn't like in '07 were the canned backing vocals, something even Roth referenced from the stage at the Wha show last month. This time around it seemed like most of the vocals were real. I say most because I could not tell for sure where I was sitting but had some inside sources tell me they were, and Wolfie is singing amazingly well and playing well also. I will alway miss Michael Anthony, but the kid deserves props for really delivering. The set list was great. Loved the new stuff, drum solo not too long, EVH solo killer as always. Deep tracks like Girl Gone Bad, Romeo Delight, Woman In Love, were awesome! So much incredible stuff from this period of VH impossible to do it all, but a good cross section of hits and deep cuts. Opened with You Really Got Me, ended with Jump. A few negatives for me were the sound mix, which where I was sitting (3/4 back, lower level) was rough and not clean. The place was packed and I wish bands would add PA toward the middle of the arenas. Not great. Also the band had a huge video screen that was almost all black & white the whole show. $150 a ticket lets get some color! But worse was the fact that this screen would cut to still photos almost every time Eddie did a solo! It was maddening. Show the man, not a photo of a building or someones shoes!! The big question is always DLR, and I thought he was okay. Voice wise it is what it is, he does his best and I thought sounded okay for the most part. The headset mic I don't like, and he seems to hold it in position half the show anyway, so why not get a mic with a stand and front the band like the old days. He also has a slide in front of the stage where he kind of dances the whole show. It's great Dave is back and we are hearing these songs and the new album is so strong, but he is a VERY different kind of frontman then back in the day. More Vegas than rock God. But this band is really all about one guy if you think about it and that is EVH, and man did he kill it! After the debacle of the Hagar reunion when he was a mess, Eddie has been on fire since 2007 tour. He is clearly sober, healthy, smiling and playing like a demon, and that is the best news by far. I heard some sound guys were let go after the MSG show by a good source which does not surprise me. I'd like to catch another show down the line when things are tweaked and maybe the band is warmed up a bit more, but overall it was great to see and Eddie is back and ruling in a big way! More on radio shows this weekend.

I know many of you dislike Trunk, so let the comments begin.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

07.17.17 @ 03:12 PM
    Liked 77 Times in 30 Posts

You should probably clarify in the title that it's Eddie Trunk at MSG. Oddly enough, when you mention the name "Eddie" on the Links, people automatically assume you're referring to Edward Van Halen.
    Last edited by M.C.; 03.05.12 at 06:18 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

07.14.12 @ 09:14 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

LOL

Quote Originally Posted by M.C. View Post
    You should probably clarify in the title that it's Eddie Trunk at MSG. Oddly enough, when you the name "Eddie" on the Links, people automatically assume you're referring to Edward Van Halen.
    Kinda meant to do that!

Last Online

08.05.17 @ 01:41 PM
    Liked 42 Times in 17 Posts

Does this really deserve a thread?

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, DOA
    Last Online

06.14.17 @ 06:46 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by LeftyVanHalen View Post
    Does this really deserve a thread?
    Not really.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

03.12.17 @ 12:50 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I thought that was an honest review.....I've seen the footage from the first MSG show, and have listened to the bootleg audio.

Dave does need to be a little less Vegas....so far, I think Dave was better on the '07-'08 tour.

Ed is definately better on this tour, and so is Wolf.

Favorite VH Album

like choosing among children
    Favorite VH Song

damn...drop dead legs?Unchaine
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:12 PM
    Liked 27 Times in 24 Posts

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jroundy5150 View Post
    I thought that was an honest review.....I've seen the footage from the first MSG show, and have listened to the bootleg audio.

Dave does need to be a little less Vegas....so far, I think Dave was better on the '07-'08 tour.

Agree with this and Trunk. The question is how to take it to the next level - staying true to classic Van Halen but gaining mass acceptance from the gen x,y and z crowd.' 'Thanks for posting = and of course we want to see Ed's damn hands.

Favorite VH Album

like choosing among children
    Favorite VH Song

damn...drop dead legs?Unchaine
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:12 PM
    Liked 27 Times in 24 Posts

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jroundy5150 View Post

Agree with this and Trunk. The question is how to take it to the next level - staying true to classic Van Halen but gaining mass acceptance from the gen x,y and z crowd.' 'Thanks for posting =

and of course we want to see Ed's damn hands.

Last Online

Dave isn't being Vegas except for the sequined jackets. Dave is being Dave...He's always been this way.

Instead of gyrating his dick around constantly and doing high jumps/kicks...he's dancing and sliding around.

And I can't take anything seriously about Eddie Trunk's opinion if he still thinks vocals were piped in from last tour or even this one. It's fucking stupid. He saw them at Cafe Wha?...

I've watched boot after boot and also have live recordings of the 07 tour...no vocals were piped in.

I was 3rd row in Ft. Lauderdale in 07....I would know if vocals were piped in.

I've listened to the boot from Louisville...it's all them. He's just being a schmuck if he thinks that.

I do agree that Dave is a bit awkward these days but big deal. So are most 50+ rockers who are up there doing shows.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 11:57 AM
    Liked 415 Times in 250 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LeftyVanHalen View Post

And I can't take anything seriously about Eddie Trunk's opinion if he still thinks vocals were piped in from last tour or even this one. It's fucking stupid. He saw them at Cafe Wha?...
    You can if you read almost every other sentence in that review.

So what?!? He thinks on the 2007 Tour some of the backing vocals were piped in.

Like the headset mic debate, the fact that this, and I'm sorry if I offend anybody saying what I'm about to say, still bothers people to the degree it does is fucking embarrassing.

Get over it. If there are piped in backing vocals, if there isn't. Who in the flying Eddie fuck cares?

97.9% of what Trunk said in that review was positive and all people can focus on is a couple sentences?

Jesus, it's just one person's thoughts and opinions.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

04.17.12 @ 11:29 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Jesus Christ with all the talk around here about Eddie Trunk you'd think he was on the verge of getting his own forum. He's a fat B-list radio personality with questionable music tastes. Stop paying attention to him and his conspiracy theories.

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by MF5150 View Post
    You can if you read almost every other sentence in that review.

So what?!? He thinks on the 2007 Tour some of the backing vocals were piped in.

Like the headset mic debate, the fact that this, and I'm sorry if I offend anybody saying what I'm about to say, still bothers people to the degree it does is fucking embarrassing.

Get over it. If there are piped in backing vocals, if there isn't. Who in the flying Eddie fuck cares?

97.9% of what Trunk said in that review was positive and all people can focus on is a couple sentences?

Jesus, it's just one person's thoughts and opinions.
    It's not just one person's thoughts and opinions. He is a journalist and when he says stupid shit that isn't true...it gets others to think the same way.

Regardless, I don't really care one way or the other. I bought the CD and have tix to the show...

I just feel like voicing my opinion. It's just one person's thoughts and opinion as well.

Favorite VH Album

Too hard to choose
    Favorite VH Song

Too hard to choose
    Last Online

06.02.16 @ 09:13 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Most of what he said was positive. U guys are way too sensative. A Rothtard complex, maybe u can take meds for that.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 04:09 PM
    Liked 11,600 Times in 4,945 Posts

Enough with this guy getting threads around here. These posts belong in the tour forum in the correct review thread like everyone else's.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!